April 26, 2024, 01:33:18 PM

Author Topic: Govt bows to pressure; suspends HPV vaccines for girls in schools  (Read 1805 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
OUCH!

Govt bows to pressure; suspends HPV vaccines for girls in schools

Story Created: Jan 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM ECT
(
Story Updated: Jan 30, 2013 at 6:06 AM ECT )

The Ministry of Health has suspended its Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) vaccination programme for young girls at the primary and secondary schools following pressure from denominational school boards.

The programme has not been stopped entirely but has been shifted from schools to community health centres.

In a statement yesterday, the ministry said that as part of its educational campaign, meetings were held with the various stakeholders from since September 2012 before the commencement of the HPV vaccination programme in January this year. Some of the organisations invited could not attend the sensitisation meetings, the ministry said.

The organisations invited but which could not attend were the Hindu School Board, Catholic School Board, Trinidad and Tobago Unified Teachers Association (TTUTA) and Network of NGOs for the Advancement of Women, it added.

With the approval of the Ministry of Education, the HPV vaccination programme was implemented using the Ministry of Health's school-based Expanded Programme of Immunisation at the nation's primary and secondary schools.

"However, because of the concerns of some denominational boards, a decision has been taken to suspend the administration of the HPV vaccination through the ministry's school-based immunisation programme," the statement said yesterday.

Arrangements will be put in place for the continuation of the HPV vaccination programme through the community health centres. Parents wishing to have their daughters receive the HPV vaccine for protection against cervical cancer can call or visit their nearest community health centre to make an appointment for the vaccine, the ministry said.

Any school wishing to make arrangements for the immunisation of their pupils against cervical cancer can contact the ministry's Expanded Programme of Immunisation Department at 627-9085 to make arrangements for the ministry's district health visitors to visit the school.

The Roman Catholic Church said on Monday it was opposed to the anti-cervical cancer vaccine in schools within its archdiocese and questioned the safety of the HPV vaccines being administered to pre-teen girls at several primary schools.

The Catholic Education Board of Management (CEBM), supported by Archbishop Joseph Harris, said it "strongly recommends that parents of children attending Roman Catholic schools should desist from allowing their children to be vaccinated with Gardasil, pending further advice from CEBM".

"The CEBM has not been consulted regarding the Ministry of Health's voluntary programme of vaccination against the HPV virus, which began in schools last week," the release said.

The Roman Catholic Church said its board of management cited "serious dangers" from use of the vaccine (including death) which have been associated with the drug.

But the Ministry of Health maintained yesterday the HPV vaccine is safe and effective and that the vaccination programme is not mandatory but a voluntary programme.

Over 60 million HPV vaccines have been introduced in 40 countries, the ministry said
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Govt bows to pressure; suspends HPV vaccines for girls in schools
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:20:07 AM »
It bad enuff they start this ting witout consultation but yuh strt it in d people catholic school. They really clueless yes.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:46:32 AM »
It bad enuff they start this ting witout consultation but yuh strt it in d people catholic school. They really clueless yes.

I think there was consultation but not many if any came.

My question is though wasnt this always going to be voluntary?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
proper consultation asside, I feel people more rankled about d fact dat is ah STD vaccine being administered, especially considering our somewhat conflicted moral outlook :-\ , I doh care what nobody say, Trinidad not no conservative society, and less so when it comes to sex and sexuality, ah fair percentage ah we does jus fake it in d light of day to perpetuate d lie, STDs is ah serious deal..........and there should be no shame in protecting yuh children against d possibility of contracting one.......shit does happen, it have devious nasty creeps all over d place and children impressionable and exposed to all kinda situations.........if was ah flu vaccine dey woulda buss ah cuss 'bout d lack of consultation and be done with it.
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
proper consultation asside, I feel people more rankled about d fact dat is ah STD vaccine being administered, especially considering our somewhat conflicted moral outlook :-\ , I doh care what nobody say, Trinidad not no conservative society, and less so when it comes to sex and sexuality, ah fair percentage ah we does jus fake it in d light of day to perpetuate d lie, STDs is ah serious deal..........and there should be no shame in protecting yuh children against d possibility of contracting one.......shit does happen, it have devious nasty creeps all over d place and children impressionable and exposed to all kinda situations.........if was ah flu vaccine dey woulda buss ah cuss 'bout d lack of consultation and be done with it.

This issue 4 me just shows how d PP does operate. In what we term a board school u cyah pound a nail without the Management committee sign off. How in heaven's name they administer the vacinne and they eh get Board approval?  The Principal have lots 2 answer, as 4 we pretending 2 b pious like d pope that is true. Only in TNT when they ask d question what yuh position the response was a sexual position. However, there are lots of concerns about the side effects about the vacine so that may be contributing to the outrage.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:38:02 AM »

This issue 4 me just shows how d PP does operate. In what we term a board school u cyah pound a nail without the Management committee sign off. How in heaven's name they administer the vacinne and they eh get Board approval?  The Principal have lots 2 answer,

I understand this and know dat d govt does jus drop ting on yuh chest disrespectful like, but I tink dey(d boards) woulda mash brakes on a STD vaccine regardless or atleast resisted strenuously

there are lots of concerns about the side effects about the vacine so that may be contributing to the outrage.

reasonable and understandable
I pity the fool....

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 11:55:22 AM »

This issue 4 me just shows how d PP does operate. In what we term a board school u cyah pound a nail without the Management committee sign off. How in heaven's name they administer the vacinne and they eh get Board approval?  The Principal have lots 2 answer, as 4 we pretending 2 b pious like d pope that is true. Only in TNT when they ask d question what yuh position the response was a sexual position. However, there are lots of concerns about the side effects about the vacine so that may be contributing to the outrage.

care to expand?

I honestly believe people juss don't want their girl chile getting it as they see it as confirming that dey chile eh pure.

At the end of the day no matter what govt in power it will have people expecting too much from them and having an issue with everything they try to implement.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 12:01:54 PM »

care to expand?

I honestly believe people juss don't want their girl chile getting it as they see it as confirming that dey chile eh pure.

At the end of the day no matter what govt in power it will have people expecting too much from them and having an issue with everything they try to implement.

Just google it lots of information out there.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »
Secondary school, sure - as long as they're discreet and confidential about it so the students will be more comfortable taking it (assuming there are no serious health concerns associated with the vaccine). Primary school - ? Uncomfortable.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:53:10 PM by Toppa »
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 01:28:11 PM »

You will have to come better than that.

I googled and found that most results say it's safe and the ones that don't are of the "vaccines cause autism" variety, or the people who were convinced that the H1N1 vaccine was a ploy to kill us all...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2012/05/03/here-is-how-we-know-gardasil-has-not-killed-100-people/
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »

I googled and found that most results say it's safe and the ones that don't are of the "vaccines cause autism" variety, or the people who were convinced that the H1N1 vaccine was a ploy to kill us all...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2012/05/03/here-is-how-we-know-gardasil-has-not-killed-100-people/

So you find info that say it good to go while it have info that say it eh good to go. As I said my main issue is not whether it safe or not but how children in a denominational school got vacinated knowing how these school operate.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »
Problems With HPV Vaccine
My daughter, Jessica, recently asked me why she wasn’t vaccinated with the HPV vaccine (Gardasil).  Jessi told me all her friends have received the vaccine.  I told her that there were two major reasons that I felt were important enough to not let her get this vaccine.  Number one (the most important one), this vaccine is injuring and killing healthy young females.  Nearly one young woman has died per month due to this vaccine.  This fact alone should cause Congress to act and the media to question its use.  The number two reason I don’t believe this vaccine should be given is that most women (over 90%) infected with HPV will overcome the illness without any therapy due to natural immunity.   Gardasil is promoted by Big Pharma Cartel Merck to prevent two types of HPV that are associated with cervical cancer and two more types that cause 90% of genital warts. Gardasil was designed to protect against two strains of HPV that cause about 75% of cervical cancer and two more strains that cause 90% of genital warts.  Gardasil does not treat cancer or genital warts.  It is given in three injections over six months.  The monetary cost of Gardasil is very high—approximately $400 for the series of three vaccines.Much of the following information is taken from a wonderful article on the Gardasil vaccine which can be found at:  http://healthfreedoms.org/2010/06/28/will-mercks-gardasil-hpv-vaccine-be-its-next-vioxx/

This article should be read by every parent who is considering vaccinating their child against HPV.Gardasil was approved by the FDA in 2006.  Since that time, it has been responsible for 66 deaths and over 17,700 medical injuries to young girls.  Six percent of the reported events (1,100) were serious enough to require emergency care.  Remember, only about 10% of all adverse reactions are reported to the CDC. Other adverse effects associated with Gardasil (from PDR) are Guillain-Barre syndrome, lupus, seizures, anaphylactic shock, chronic fatigue, paralysis, blood clots, brain inflammation, blurred vision, and blindness.  Furthermore, the following events have been reported after vaccination from Gardisil:  blood and lymphatic system disorders, autoimmune hemolytic anemia, idiopathic thrombotic purpura, lymphadenopathy, pulmonary embolis, pancreatitis, vomiting, asthenia, chills, death, fatigue, malaise, autoimmune diseases, bronchospasm, urticaria (hives), arthralgia, myalgia (muscle pains), and transverse myelitis (inflamed spinal cord).I say enough said.  Who would give that vaccine to their child?Dr. Diane Harper, a top expert on HPV claimed that the recommendation to vaccinate all young girls, “…went too fast without any breaks.  We don’t know yet what’s going to happen when millions of doses of the vaccine have been given and to put in place a process that says you must have this vaccine, it means you must be part of a bit public experiment.  So we can’t do that until we have more data.”So, what do you do?  Number one, educate yourself. If the vaccine sounds right to you, then consider it.  However, if there are concerns, I suggest continuing to educate yourself.  Remember, you can’t take a vaccine back after it is given.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 03:33:28 PM »

I dunno what de ass people on... the Catholic Church on shit as usual.

http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/vaccinesafety.html

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/722555

As of January 31, 2010, VAERS had received nearly 16,000 reports of adverse events following Gardasil vaccination. An overwhelming majority of these (over 90%) were non-serious, such as syncope (or fainting), local injection site reactions, dizziness, nausea, and headache. These findings are similar to the safety reviews of other vaccines recommended for a similar age group (such as meningitis and Tdap vaccines).

Based on the review of available vaccine safety monitoring data by FDA and CDC, HPV vaccination continues to be recommended and its benefits continue to outweigh its risks.

Now, let's talk about some of the serious adverse event reports. All serious reports were analyzed by medical experts and additional medical records were requested to better understand the adverse events. Some of the serious reports were reports of venous thrombotic events or VTE. In VAERS, most individuals who reported VTEs post-vaccination were also found to have other high risk conditions documented in their medical records, such as use of oral contraceptives, smoking, obesity, or other contributing factors.

All of the death reports in VAERS were fully investigated, and there was no unusual pattern or clustering that would suggest that they were caused by the HPV vaccine. The reported causes of death could be explained by factors including diabetes, viral illness, illicit drug use, and heart failure.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 10:40:33 PM »
Lack of info halted vaccine drive'
By Renuka Singh
Story Created: Jan 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM ECT
Story Updated: Jan 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM ECT
Gynaecologist Dr Sherene Kalloo, who was instrumental in bringing the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccinations into the country is "very upset" by the suspension of the programme across primary schools.
One week after being launched, the programme has been shelved following opposition by the Catholic Education Board of Management (CEBM) to the cervical cancer preventative vaccine being administered to young girls.

But while the vaccine is still being administered at clinics, Kalloo is blaming a lack of proper information for the cessation of the vaccinations at the school level and hopes that with the correct information, the programme would be restarted.

"We are trying to be as positive as possible," Kalloo said.
"There is a lot of misinformation and that may have triggered the need for the boards to stop the vaccine," she said.

She urged parents, students and the members of the denominational boards to get more information from the correct sources and not scare themselves with incorrect data.
Kalloo said with the proper information, parents would know that the injection cannot give rise to increased promiscuity.

"Students cannot now say that they can have sex because they cannot get HPV. The vaccine does not prevent against any sexually transmitted disease or pregnancy. I don't see how protection against the second most common cancer in women in Trinidad and Tobago will trigger promiscuity," she said.
Kalloo said she and the other doctors met with stakeholders over the past nine months before going ahead with the implementation of the vaccinations in schools.

She said the CEBM opposition did not remove the vaccination, it simply made it more inaccessible for the same vulnerable section of society most prone to the disease.
But not all denominational boards are against the vaccines.
Head of the Anjuman Sunnat ul Jamaat Association (ASJA), Yacoob Ali, said yesterday they did not have a problem with the vaccination in their schools.

"If the vaccinations are proven to be safe and reliable then ASJA will have no objections, but it must be done with the consent of the parents," he said in a telephone interview.
General secretary of the Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha (SDMS), Sat Maharaj, said he too had no problem with the vaccinations in the schools under the SDMS banner.

"We are not concerned about the vaccinations per se. If the vaccinations have been approved by the relevant Regional Health Authorities and the World Health Organisation (WHO), we have no qualms about it," he said.
The CEBM yesterday stated that it was concerned that the Ministry of Health "intervened into the schools without consultation".
Their other issue was that they did not receive any invitation to the sensitisation meetings and they first learned about the vaccinations in the media.

1]; } ?>