April 19, 2024, 04:14:46 AM

Author Topic: VW Superbowl Ad Racist?  (Read 4359 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
VW Superbowl Ad Racist?
« on: January 30, 2013, 07:10:41 AM »
Many knickers in a knot. Some say it is racist but some say no. Political Correctness gone astray or does it really depict underlying racism?  JC, wha u a say?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9H0xPWAtaa8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9H0xPWAtaa8</a>

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: VW Superbowl Ad Racist?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:15:27 AM »
Stueps
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 02:16:35 PM »
steups indeed...blood claaaat

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »
Not racist... just stereotyping.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »
I read about it in the USA today but I don't personally find it racist, I think it's funny. Nothing really negative about Jamacians or West Indians except for the part where they were 3 minutes late, if you want to make an argument for that but as you say many knickers in a knot. VW is taking a stand saying they're not pulling the ad so we'll see how much of an uproar this creates.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:53:37 PM »
Is this a joke??

where's the racism?

on the other hand, check out niggermania .net and stormfront.org, now there's some racism for you, ah real hater's wet dream.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 05:25:24 PM »
I read about it in the USA today but I don't personally find it racist, I think it's funny. Nothing really negative about Jamacians or West Indians except for the part where they were 3 minutes late, if you want to make an argument for that but as you say many knickers in a knot. VW is taking a stand saying they're not pulling the ad so we'll see how much of an uproar this creates.

They're portraying Jamaicans as "happy" people.... it's a simplification based on stereotype (the smiling, servient 'islander')... but Jamaican's doh seem to have a problem (Tourism minister trying to turn it into a deal with VW) with it, so...

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »
Some cut and paste

Stereotyping: generalizations about the "typical" characteristics of members of a group

Prejudice: attitude toward the members of some group based solely on their membership in that group (can be positive or negative)

Discrimination: actual positive or negative actions toward the objects of prejudice

Racism: discrimination based on race

As Bakes say; this is stereotyping. But stereotyping is not necessarily harmful. Modern day humour is often based on stereotypes.  For the record, I found the ad humourous.

In a generalized way, the problem with stereotyping is that it may be viewed as a gateway.

Stereotyping ==> Prejudice ==> Discrimination ==> Racism

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:09:52 PM »
Is this a joke??

where's the racism?

on the other hand, check out niggermania .net and stormfront.org, now there's some racism for you, ah real hater's wet dream.

some nasty stuff ...

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 04:22:49 AM »
Is this a joke??

where's the racism?

some nasty stuff ...
That is putting it mildly.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 10:55:20 AM »

They're portraying Jamaicans as "happy" people.... it's a simplification based on stereotype (the smiling, servient 'islander')... but Jamaican's doh seem to have a problem (Tourism minister trying to turn it into a deal with VW) with it, so...

A few years ago there were a string of ads for Lilt (soft drink) with (presumably) Jamaicans represented as laid back, chilled out guys and the campaign was immensely popular. But of course, that was black actors playing black characters. If the guy in the VW ad had "blacked up" it would have been offensive, but in my opinion, it was completely without malice. It's no different to people of colour dressing as a quintessential English banker with a bowler hat and saying things like "Jolly good show" in a public school accent. I know black English guys who speak like that and I also know white Jamaicans who speak like the guy in the VW ad!

What we should be concerned about it Hilton with his "Calcutta" comments and Sat Maraj with his overtly racist Tobago comments.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »
i suppose all the white jamaican and trini racist for talking like the black islanders.

media need something else to talk about.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 01:47:42 PM »
So if he didn't have a Jamaican accent but spoke with his regular 'Minnesota' accent but had the same happy-go-luckly demeanour, would it have still been 'stereotyping'?

www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »
So if he didn't have a Jamaican accent but spoke with his regular 'Minnesota' accent but had the same happy-go-luckly demeanour, would it have still been 'stereotyping'?

OH YAAH, DUNCHYA-NO

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »
A few years ago there were a string of ads for Lilt (soft drink) with (presumably) Jamaicans represented as laid back, chilled out guys and the campaign was immensely popular. But of course, that was black actors playing black characters. If the guy in the VW ad had "blacked up" it would have been offensive, but in my opinion, it was completely without malice. It's no different to people of colour dressing as a quintessential English banker with a bowler hat and saying things like "Jolly good show" in a public school accent. I know black English guys who speak like that and I also know white Jamaicans who speak like the guy in the VW ad!

What we should be concerned about it Hilton with his "Calcutta" comments and Sat Maraj with his overtly racist Tobago comments.

You miss the point... it's not just about the accent.  Caribbean people on the whole are frequently presented as ever ready with a smile and worry free ("no worries, mon!").  It's not necessarily a negative stereotype, but it's still a stereotype and VW perpetuates it.  What the ad does is reduce the Jamaican to a caricature... no different than the once near ubiquitous portrayal of blacks in the media (particularly US media) as athletes and entertainers.  In my opinion it simplifies Jamaicans to an archetype that suits tourist narratives, almost dehumanizes them, in a manner not unlike the stepin' fetchit caricatures in the US back in the day.  Again, it's not as bad, but not far either.  But as I said, if Jamaicans happy with it who am I to be offended for them?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »

No... because there's no such stereotypes about Minnesotans.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 04:46:27 PM »

Since when Jamaicans have a 'happy-go-lucky' stereotype? Overly aggressive and surly, yeah - happy-go-lucky? Not so much.

Any, I think we can unanimously agree that this is much ado about nothing.

www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 05:11:18 PM »
Since when Jamaicans have a 'happy-go-lucky' stereotype? Overly aggressive and surly, yeah - happy-go-lucky? Not so much.

Among us Caribbean people yeah... that's how we perceive because we are more observant and can pick up in the nuances that differentiate us.  To the wider world I guarantee you that few if any view Jamaicans as "overly aggressive and surly".

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »

Obviously you have never been to negril, ocho-rios or port antonio.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »

Obviously you have never been to negril, ocho-rios or port antonio.

I think to say it one way or the other is incorrect, it's most likley a combination of both.  And yes, people WW based on our experiences unless one of us can point to a sociological survey/publication/thesis that points it definitively in one direction.  Many people in tri-state and wider US who've been around long enough remember the JA posses.  Then there are others who share the stereotype portrayed in the VW add.  Russel Peters in one of his skits jokes about "why are you guys so angry?  I've been to JA, it's a nice place..." and his perspective undoubtedly refers to his experiences in Canada. 

From my personal perspective much ado about nothing
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 05:36:25 PM »
I think to say it one way or the other is incorrect, it's most likley a combination of both.  And yes, people WW based on our experiences unless one of us can point to a sociological survey/publication/thesis that points it definitively in one direction.  Many people in tri-state and wider US who've been around long enough remember the JA posses.  Then there are others who share the stereotype portrayed in the VW add.  Russel Peters in one of his skits jokes about "why are you guys so angry?  I've been to JA, it's a nice place..." and his perspective undoubtedly refers to his experiences in Canada. 

If you don't think that Jamaicans (and WIs on the whole) have a happy-go-lucky reputation to the wider world then you haven't traveled or observed keenly enough.  Far more often is the WI portrayed as the Robert Townsend character in 'Cool Runnings'... than Screwface in 'Marked for Death'.

Also, Russell Peters is West Indian... it's really not surprising that that's his perspective.  I also don't think anyone resident long enough in the Tri-state area would buy into the stereotype because they have interacted with enough West Indians to know better.  This isn't about those people.  I might agree that it's much ado, but I certainly wouldn't say that it's about "nothing."
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:40:15 PM by Bakes »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 05:50:09 PM »

If you don't think that Jamaicans (and WIs on the whole) have a happy-go-lucky reputation to the wider world then you haven't traveled or observed keenly enough.  Far more often is the WI portrayed as the Robert Townsend character in 'Cool Runnings'... than Screwface in 'Marked for Death'.

Also, Russell Peters is West Indian... it's really not surprising that that's his perspective.  I also don't think anyone resident long enough in the Tri-state area would buy into the stereotype because they have interacted with enough West Indians to know better.  This isn't about those people.  I might agree that it's much ado, but I certainly wouldn't say that it's about "nothing."

Bakes, you are making statements to try to support your opinion without fully comprehending what I stated.  I would reiterate, in my experiences with multiple people WW (travelled enough to need to highlight here) I have heard both opinions and perhaps 50/50.  When you can point me to some study that suggests its one way definitively or another then I can buy into what you state...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »

Among us Caribbean people yeah... that's how we perceive because we are more observant and can pick up in the nuances that differentiate us.  To the wider world I guarantee you that few if any view Jamaicans as "overly aggressive and surly".
Not only that, but the overly aggressive jamaican image is almost like a thing of the past, and that behavior was strictly exclusive to the ghetto yardies like in the garrison areas who came here in the 80ies and early ninties and hot up the place, and still i have met yardies from those environments who were very happy accommodating and easy going.

IMO there's no difference between trinis and jamaicans in that respect. back in the eighties and ninties there were trinis from the ghetto who were unsavory asreholes who made all trinis seem facked up to the ppl they came in contact with.

fellas from john john, betham, sealots, richplains, fourroads, point cumana, st barbs, debe (long circular), waterhole, the harp, mango rose, belmont valley road, bellua road (belmont), never dirty,  down by FF dem in barataria  ;D, mightower, quarry road (sanjuan), sunshine ave (sanjuan) laventiile road (sanjuan) just to na,me ah few distasteful areas in our country, and there are much more that i did not mention, but my point is, all these ppl that i have mentioned, if they were to go anywhere in the world in the majority with their rotten behavior, ppl would think that all trinis were like them, which is clearly not the case.

imagine ah man from colvin street woodbrook having a vacation somewhere in foreign and someone heard his accent and said, dem ppl dey eh no good nah, only bc they might of had ah run in wid ah man from waterhole who offended them in some form.

it have trinis from st clair, maraval, stanns , cascade, queens park west, wood brook, st james, chaguanas, couva, vistabella, arouca, tabaquite, st agustine, chamflears, trincity, aranguez, santacruz, cadiz raod, jermingham ave (both belmont), federation park, lange park, la horkette (carenarge), west morring, valsayn and blue range who would dispel that notion, bc they are from the other extreme,

well it's the same with jamaica, the only thing is jamaica have less bad areas than us, and most of their undesirables are concentrated in ah few areas in kingston , spanish town, mo bay, and some parts of st thomas and manchester, @ least the last time i was there.

for every bad nasty jamaican i came in contact with, i have met four to dispel that notion, it's ah real mix basket of ppl, trust meh.  BTW i find jamaican to be the nicest ppl in the caribbean, i believe the only ppl to beat them back is domonicans and st lucians, and i find bajans and antiguans to be the worst, especially in their home land.

PS: most well to do jamaicans do not migrate, instead they are the ones who are the back bone of jamaica, and it's a fact that the most uneducated backward ppl are the ones who leave in droves looking for a better life, and those are the ones we tend to meet rather than the former.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:03:03 PM by just cool »

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »
At least one Minnesotan making people happy in the Superbowl lol

but people really have nothing to talk bout these days...UFFDAH!!!
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 06:27:16 PM »
Bakes, you are making statements to try to support your opinion without fully comprehending what I stated.  I would reiterate, in my experiences with multiple people WW (travelled enough to need to highlight here) I have heard both opinions and perhaps 50/50.  When you can point me to some study that suggests its one way definitively or another then I can buy into what you state...

You don't have to buy into what I state pardna... your opinion is your opinion.  As with any stereotype, of course it's grounded in a modicum of truth.  It's not going to be hard and fast, so yeah it's a mixture of both... in your experience 50-50... in mine it's not that equal.  You know that no such study exists, so don't wait for me to provide you any stats.  As I said, if Jamaicans happy with it, who am I to be offended?  I see both sides.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 06:35:44 PM »
Not only that, but the overly aggressive jamaican image is almost like a thing of the past, and that behavior was strictly exclusive to the ghetto yardies like in the garrison areas who came here in the 80ies and early ninties and hot up the place, and still i have met yardies from those environments who were very happy accommodating and easy going.

IMO there's no difference between trinis and jamaicans in that respect. back in the eighties and ninties there were trinis from the ghetto who were unsavory asreholes who made all trinis seem facked up to the ppl they came in contact with.

fellas from john john, betham, sealots, richplains, fourroads, point cumana, st barbs, debe (long circular), waterhole, the harp, mango rose, belmont valley road, bellua road (belmont), never dirty,  down by FF dem in barataria  ;D, mightower, quarry road (sanjuan), sunshine ave (sanjuan) laventiile road (sanjuan) just to na,me ah few distasteful areas in our country, and there are much more that i did not mention, but my point is, all these ppl that i have mentioned, if they were to go anywhere in the world in the majority with their rotten behavior, ppl would think that all trinis were like them, which is clearly not the case.

imagine ah man from colvin street woodbrook having a vacation somewhere in foreign and someone heard his accent and said, dem ppl dey eh no good nah, only bc they might of had ah run in wid ah man from waterhole who offended them in some form.

it have trinis from st clair, maraval, stanns , cascade, queens park west, wood brook, st james, chaguanas, couva, vistabella, arouca, tabaquite, st agustine, chamflears, trincity, aranguez, santacruz, cadiz raod, jermingham ave (both belmont), federation park, lange park, la horkette (carenarge), west morring, valsayn and blue range who would dispel that notion, bc they are from the other extreme,

well it's the same with jamaica, the only thing is jamaica have less bad areas than us, and most of their undesirables are concentrated in ah few areas in kingston , spanish town, mo bay, and some parts of st thomas and manchester, @ least the last time i was there.

for every bad nasty jamaican i came in contact with, i have met four to dispel that notion, it's ah real mix basket of ppl, trust meh.  BTW i find jamaican to be the nicest ppl in the caribbean, i believe the only ppl to beat them back is domonicans and st lucians, and i find bajans and antiguans to be the worst, especially in their home land.

PS: most well to do jamaicans do not migrate, instead they are the ones who are the back bone of jamaica, and it's a fact that the most uneducated backward ppl are the ones who leave in droves looking for a better life, and those are the ones we tend to meet rather than the former.

I think that 80s stereotype was a by-product of the crack trade... the Jamaican 'posses' were second only to perhaps the Colombians in their ruthlessness.  Since crack died down you don't see that stereotype pandered about in the media as much anymore.  "Jar Jar Binks"... need I say more?  Also, I just check out this Disney animated film Shark Tales, with these two characters:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mamc4xu2DBY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mamc4xu2DBY</a>

At least the two of them were genuine Jamaicans (Ziggy Marley and Doug E. Doug)

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 07:52:44 AM »
Also, Russell Peters is West Indian... it's really not surprising that that's his perspective. "

Nah, he's a Canadian born to East Indian parents...father from Mumbai, mother from Kolkata....
Just grew up with a lot of West Indian friends.
whey boy!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 10:24:53 AM »
Also, Russell Peters is West Indian... it's really not surprising that that's his perspective. "

Nah, he's a Canadian born to East Indian parents...father from Mumbai, mother from Kolkata....
Just grew up with a lot of West Indian friends {edit: in Brampton}

He is from Bramladesh.  Wait, that is a racist comment ...

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »
Another stereotyping Superbowl ad.  this time from GoDaddy. Steups

Nerds should reject this physical depiction

<a href="http://youtube.com/v/o-3j4-4N3Ng" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://youtube.com/v/o-3j4-4N3Ng</a>

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »
Another stereotyping Superbowl ad.  this time from GoDaddy. Steups

Nerds should reject this physical depiction

Fatman in everything
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IdEBu7ODVk8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IdEBu7ODVk8</a>

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>