April 29, 2024, 09:41:00 AM

Author Topic: Cornell Glen does it again with double against W Connection  (Read 1449 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cornell Glen does it again with double against W Connection
« on: January 29, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »
Glen double sinks Connection
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

A freaky double strike from 2006 World Cup attacker Cornell Glen stunned DIRECTV W Connection last night as North East Stars downed the defending Pro League champions 2-0 at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

The result saw Stars close the gap with third placed Connection to just goal aggregate. Both clubs have a plus-ten goal differential but Connection has scored three more items.

In a close, hard fought game, the difference was arguably that Glen was present while, just hours earlier, Connection’s star attacker, Shahdon Winchester, had signed a one-year loan deal with Finland Premier League team Jaro FF.

It is hard to overstate Glen’s worth to Stars.

The striker’s seven Pro League items are exactly half of Stars’ 14 goals in the competition so far. More importantly, Glen has scored in all but one of his club’s League wins this season.

The former “Soca Warrior” failed to earn a national berth for the 2012 Caribbean Cup finals but Stars coach Angus Eve has benefitted from his ability on the domestic stage. Possibly, one of Eve’s best triumphs this season is in coaxing maximum returns from a player who would be plying his trade at a grander stage abroad but for his regular misfortune with injuries.

“Some coaches try to drive him too hard in training,” Eve told Wired868. “We know that Cornell has had a lot of injuries, so we don’t treat him in the same way as the others. We put him on an exercise bike or give him gym work or work in the pool and ice baths.

“Also I didn’t play him in the FA (Trophy) at all. I make sure to rest his legs for when we really need him.”

Yesterday was such a mission for Glen and, as in Stars’ opener against Caribbean champions Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA, he did not disappoint although there was a large slice of luck about his strikes.

In the 16th minute, Glen peeled off in the left channel between the Connection’s central defenders and right back and drove an effort towards the far corner. Connection and Trinidad and Tobago defender Daneil Cyrus stuck a boot out to make a block but only succeeded in diverting the flight of the ball past his own goalkeeper, Aquelius Sylvester.

Glen’s second was even harder for Connection to stomach.

The striker executed a clever turn in the opposing penalty area, in the 68th minute, but appeared to have pushed the ball too close to the Connection custodian. Sylvester did not exactly thunder after the ball, though, and Glen lunged in to meet the sphere first with his momentum taking him into the goalkeeper.

As the ball dribbled towards goal, Sylvester looked pleadingly towards referee Gyasi McDonald. The ball hit the heel of the post, McDonald held his breath and Glen reacted first to hammer home from point blank range.

Connection coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier complained that Glen had tricked his goalkeeper.

“Apparently Cornell was holding back (Sylvester’s) foot to prevent him from going for the ball,” said Charles-Fevrier. “He was expecting the referee to blow but I thought he should have made more of an effort to fight for the ball and let the ref see what was happening.

“I think his personality let him down because he is such a nice, decent fellah.”

Eve replaced Glen after the goal as another precaution against injury.

And, try as they might, the “Savonetta Boys” could not get on the score summary themselves.

Midfielder Joevin Jones had Connection’s two best chances but skied one effort and was denied by Stars custodian Cleon John with the other while Kittian international Gerrard Williams wasted a free header off a Jones cross.

“I found the quality of our play was quite good but we are not as effective as we can be in the final third,” said Fevrier. “This season has been a sour one for us so far but we haven’t given up because there is still a lot to play for.”

At the other end, Eve hopes Monday night’s win would give them momentum as Stars prepare to take on St Ann’s Rangers on Friday.

“I think we have been a bit inconsistent this season,” said Eve. “The season has been a stop-start one and it has been difficult as we have new players that we are trying to blend into a squad.

“We needed that result to claw back Connection who was three points ahead so it meant a lot for us. It augurs well to give the guys some confidence going forward.”

And, just as importantly, Glen is fit. It is potentially bad news for Rangers.

(Teams)

W Connection (4-2-1-3): 22.Aquelius Sylvester; 3.Akeem Benjamin, 5.Elijah Joseph (captain), 4.Daneil Cyrus, 32.Kurt Frederick; 12.Gerrard Williams, 20.Silvio Spann (29.Jomal Williams 82); 36.Joevin Jones; 26.Stefano Rijssel (17.Andrei Pacheco 77), 14.Hashim Arcia, 31.Jerrel Britto (45.Neil Benjamin 71).

Unused substitutes: 21.Alejandro Figueroa, 6.Kemuel Rivers, 19.Joel Russell, 42.Tremain Paul.

Coach: Stuart Charles-Fevrier

North East Stars (4-1-4-1): 22.Cleon John; 23.Kennedy Hinkson, 2.Kareem Moses, 19.Glenton Wolfe, 25.Keryn Navarro; 6.Jeromie Williams; 8.Micah Lewis (26.Shane Hospedales 89), 18.Kaashif Thomas, 9.Akiel Guevara (7.Elijah Manners), 32.Keithy Simpson; 13.Cornell Glen (45.Marcus Gomez).

Unused substitutes: 1.Adrian Foncette, 16.Jean-Luc Rochford, 17.Jayson Joseph, 41.Neveal Hackshaw.

Coach: Angus Eve

Referee: Gyasi McDonald

Digicel Pro League (Mon Jan 28)

Caledonia AIA 6 (Sheldon Holder 25, 52, Trevin Caesar 33, Akim Armstrong 69, Sheron Joseph 73, Keon Edwards 86), T&TEC 0 at Couva

North East Stars 2 (Cornell Glen 17, 68), W Connection 0 at Couva

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:49:22 PM by Flex »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cornell Glen does it again with double against W Connection
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
Sense, Angus Eve!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WbgZXpu8g9o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WbgZXpu8g9o</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
the 2nd goal was a comedy of jokeyness. It appears to me that Cornell fouled the keeper. He pulled him baack from going to the ball. While keeper is appealing to the ref, the ball trickling to the goal line. An astute Cornel stab the ball into the net. But the best is, what appears to be a big hole in the net. This has to be a joke!!! Dexter! Dexter!!!

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:39:54 PM »
the 2nd goal was a comedy of jokeyness. It appears to me that Cornell fouled the keeper. He pulled him baack from going to the ball. While keeper is appealing to the ref, the ball trickling to the goal line. An astute Cornel stab the ball into the net. But the best is, what appears to be a big hole in the net. This has to be a joke!!! Dexter! Dexter!!!

Yeah Cornell give him ah lil pul back in truth...and about dat hole in de net, when I talk bout jokiness and expecting anything in TnT football, ding ding ding:)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:36:07 PM »

Agreed.

However, valuable lesson for the keeper: possess the ball, protect the ball or place it out of danger before or while appealing.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 11:01:02 PM »
Is Eve defending Glen from the bust up back when he was called up during the Cup? Wasn't there a problem about how Glen wanted to train and what the NT coaches wanted?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 11:05:52 PM »
Is Eve defending Glen from the bust up back when he was called up during the Cup? Wasn't there a problem about how Glen wanted to train and what the NT coaches wanted?

Yuh done know.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:23:40 PM »

The hole in that net has been there for several months. There will be a time when the ball goes through the hole and the ref will be at the wrong angle. Central scored a goal there and from where I sat it looked like it missed.

Ato Boldon is to blame, not the Pro League, however, I'm sure they have complained. If SPORTT not buying nets, what can you do?
The funny thing is to watch the linos before the game as they run to check the nets. They tug and pull like they're on TV for an EPL game and then signal all is OK when you can see a gaping hole there  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I mean, what is the point of that?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 11:35:04 PM »

The hole in that net has been there for several months. There will be a time when the ball goes through the hole and the ref will be at the wrong angle. Central scored a goal there and from where I sat it looked like it missed.

Ato Boldon is to blame, not the Pro League, however, I'm sure they have complained. If SPORTT not buying nets, what can you do?
The funny thing is to watch the linos before the game as they run to check the nets. They tug and pull like they're on TV for an EPL game and then signal all is OK when you can see a gaping hole there  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I mean, what is the point of that?

I can see it now. Focus not on the hole, but on whether the net is secure around the frame. Hilarious.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 11:36:33 PM »
they should post this in the football funnies!. This is unbelievable.

1]; } ?>