April 16, 2024, 12:18:00 PM

Author Topic: Just a thought  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Just a thought
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:26:41 PM »
For those of you with livin in 'forin' with central HVAC systems in your homes.
It is inevitable that your A/C coil is moist after use and moist creates mold and bacteria..which of course is blown around the house when you run your furnace or A/C

Thus, most people accept winter colds as inevitable especially if you have children not realising the indoor air in the average home is terrible and a major contributing factor to flu or worse

I have tried a few options to counteract the dutty air in mih house ( HRV, steam humidifier, fancy filters etc)...no real change, everybody sick twice or more per season
However in December 2012 I installed a UltraViolet sticklight. Placed it right over the A/C coil to kill the bacteria in their moist habitat
Winter 2013 everybody was sick just one time. 
This winter NOBODY was sick. Keep in mind I live in a house with a 4 year old that the visits the disgusting germ factory they like to call kindergarten on a daily basis.

For allyuh livin in de frozen tundra. Canadian Tire occasionally has a sale on their swordfish (check de flyer)
http://www.swordfishuv.com/HowItWorks/HowItWorks/tabid/73/Default.aspx

I opted for the american made sanuvox saber (because as everybody know yankee ting is just de bess)
http://www.sanuvox.com/en/saber-genius.php

If yuh handy with a tin snips and a screwdriver, it is a 10 minute install,, might be a lil insurance against indoor bacteria.

Just mih 2 cents
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:28:17 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Just a thought
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:33:53 AM »
wait.. ent the ac unit on the outside of the house? I assume you mean .. install within the area where the forced air is blown throughout the house..right? Main vent which feeds the entire house? If that is the case, at the speed at which the air id forced throughout the house, can the light still be effective?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Just a thought
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »
wait.. ent the ac unit on the outside of the house? I assume you mean .. install within the area where the forced air is blown throughout the house..right? Main vent which feeds the entire house? If that is the case, at the speed at which the air id forced throughout the house, can the light still be effective?

Ok, keep in mind your a/c is actually two parts, the condensor (or outside box) that everybody does see AND the A-coil inside the plenum (connected by the copper lines)-that is the part that actually dehumidifies the air and cools down your house

True when the air is moving (fan on) the UV light wont be able zap everything as it is moving so fast , but the a/c-fan eventually shuts off and all the floating bacteria saunters past slowly
Over the course of weeks/ months eventually everyting getting zapped
Moreover the UV light will sit just above the moist A-coil, where most of the bacteria is formed.

Granted, there are much larger & more powerful uv lights than just a stick, but they are expensive and you need to take apart your air plenum to install it- not a good idea for joe homeowner

The stick is relatively inexpensive and and easy to install.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>