March 28, 2024, 06:51:42 AM

Author Topic: FIFA has ordered Costa Rica to play its home World Cup qualifier  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (AP) -- FIFA has ordered Costa Rica to play its home World Cup qualifier March 26 against Panama without spectators because fans threw objects at opposing players during a match last month with Mexico.

The national federation, Fedefut, said Tuesday that soccer's international governing body also ordered the national team to pay a fine of $17,000. Fedefut said it would appeal.

The sanctions came as part of a FIFA ruling March 4, in Sweden, according to the federation.

ADVERTISEMENT

The punishment was handed down after officials at Mexico's match against Costa Rica on Feb. 9 said fans at San Jose's Saprissa Stadium threw dangerous objects with intent to injury opposing players.

``FIFA considers what occurred grave and for that reason there has been an economic penalty and the next game will be played behind closed doors,'' Fedefut said in a statement.

The federation said it would appeal because it considered the sanctions ``disproportionate given the facts.''

``The federation always ensured the safety of the Mexicans,'' Fedefut said. ``No one suffered physical aggression and it was a small group of fans who threw, at the end of the game, some objects on the field.''

Because of the FIFA ruling, officials have suspended -- at least temporarily -- ticket sales for the match against Panama, which also will be played at Saprissa.

U
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
nah man
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 10:28:53 PM »
This actually penalizes the other teams in the HEX except Panama as well since they will now have an advantage in their away game at Costa Rica.  Hopefully Jack could step in and do something about this.

Of course  I wouldn't be saying nutting if it was our turn to play at Costa Rica but say what.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 10:33:21 PM by arrow »

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
i think T&T fans need that
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 10:59:49 PM »
not in terms of pelting stuff @ the visting team but more aggression to our team & the opposition in stead of jus sittin ther eatin nuts lol (the imoression i got from the last game i been to  )
show aggression to da game the players will respond

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: FIFA has ordered Costa Rica to play its home World Cup qualifier
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 08:49:39 AM »
A WCQ game with empty stands.....that real harsh boy.

Allyuh could imagine if that happen to us and we cah go de game.
And they losing real money...the fine plus ticket sales.

Hmmm...maybe we fighting with Panama, Guatemala and Costa Rica.
Depends on how this next game for them goes.

Hopefully they'll let the fans in but be real stringent....tone down the aggression for the rest of games with increased security and some restrictions.

I cah see that game playing to an empty empty stadium...maybe half the number of normal tiickets sales.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA has ordered Costa Rica to play its home World Cup qualifier
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 09:13:31 AM »
Wha allyuh talking about?  Playing in Trinidad with a quiet crowd is the same damn thing.  What home advantage Trinidad have?  People love to play in Trinidad.  steups

1]; } ?>