March 28, 2024, 05:51:55 AM

Author Topic: Anthony Rougier  (Read 4445 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Anthony Rougier
« on: February 10, 2013, 03:06:36 PM »
What's Rougier up to these days?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Rougier
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
He's mentioned here as working with UTT football team
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,171990.html

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 05:34:58 PM »
Good for Roug. performing with limited resources.
TTFF take note.

Truly one of the good guys of TT football.
------------------

UTT football programme a success
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Monday, January 14 2013 - Newsday

click on pic to zoom in

The victorious UTT 'B' team huddles together in celebration after defeating Roytec 2-1 in the finals of the National Inter-Tertiary Football Tournamen...
The University of Trinidad and Tobago’s (UTT) ‘B’ football team clinched the National Inter-Tertiary football title for the first time in the institution’s history after clinching a narrow 2-1 win over Roytec in the final at the O’Meara Campus, Arima, in December.

However, this historic win for the educational institute was built upon an interesting journey in a tournament dominated by the University of the West Indies (UWI) team.

Revealing some interesting facts about UTT’s challenging journey to the title was the squad’s assistant coach, Andre Sooklal.

UTT’s coaching and managerial team is made up of former national player Anthony Rougier (head coach), Sooklal, Marc Wattie (assistant coach) and Alloy Lee Fai (team manager). This unit was the main driving and motivating force behind the success of the 2012 champions. In an interview with Sooklal recently, he explained the many obstacles the team faced ahead of their inaugural victory.

He revealed that the UTT Scholarship players (‘A’) did not compete in league but were focussing instead on improving their chances of playing professionally.

This meant that Rougier was tasked with the job of competing in the tertiary league and constructing a team excluding scholarship players. The task was even more daunting because Rougier not only had to construct the team from scratch, but also compete without the same resources that were available to the scholarship players. However, Rougier and his managerial team were committed to the cause.

Sooklal explained: “The approach and preparation headed by Anthony Rougier was very unique - his approach from a football aspect to the technical aspect. His ability to embrace new approaches specifically, the player analysis role and his approach in evaluating players was also very unique. Dynamic player analysis, scientific data combined with technology and statistics used to analyse, evaluate and construct tactics based on this data, this approach was essential and because of Rougier’s approach was a perfect complement to this style.” The assistant coach also indicated that the managerial team incorporated the use of several students, an idea that was met with much scepticism. Students are now directly involved in the process and are taught the structure of a professional team and how it is run from a holistic point of view.

Sooklal lauded the coach’s unorthodox approach to coaching a team that has never played together on a field.

“In addition to his training methods and willingness to be innovative in approach, it manifested itself in a team withstanding many obstacles. People were sceptical about the project and often looked at the whole approach with raised eyebrows. Many expected this team made up of students and not the elite athletes that represented the campus as a whole (to fail),” he added.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:34:43 AM »
Ok so question.... What are the 'A' students doing ??

If you are going to UTT on a football scholarship are you not supposed to be playing Football ???
What level are these players playing at ??
So what you are saying is that to make it as a PRO Footballer you cannot play football ??

Would really like someone to explain what I just read.

Realistically UTT should be aspiring to play in the PRO League.... or at least Super League or else what possible benefit would there be in playing(or not playing as it seems) in a league that has no recognition.

Are we going to develop a Draft System where these players can be given an opportunity to join PRO or Super League teams ??

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 08:43:21 AM »
Good for Roug. performing with limited resources.
TTFF take note.

Truly one of the good guys of TT football.

I don't know the man personally, hardly familiar with him at all, but that what yuh say dey is a stone cold fact!!  :beermug:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:36 AM »
From a close source.

Rougier is not UTT's coach he was helping out the boys because he was doing a course at the Corinth Campus. Those players are the ones who tryout and couldn't make the team and made the UTT second team.

That competition was to low for UTT's scholarship players.

Rougier can get into trouble for saying that he is UTT head coach, he is not employed with UTT.  Rougier is being dishonest [this was a two week competition].

I think Gally is still the UTT head coach if I am not mistaken?

The UTT team won the SFA 2nd. division by ten points and will be promoted to first division this year 2013.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:23:50 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 11:27:52 AM »
By the way VB, I dealt with Rougier is the past while he was at FC South End and he was very unprofessional.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »
From a close source.

Rougier is not UTT's coach he was helping out the boys because he was doing a course at the Corinth Campus. Those players are the ones who tryout and couldn't make the team and made the UTT second team.

Rougier can get into trouble for saying that he is UTT head coach, he is not employed with UTT.  Rougier is being dishonest [this was a two week competition].

The UTT team won the SFA 2nd. division by ten points and will be promoted to first division this year 2013.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 07:23:56 AM »
Rougier and Marcelle is two goat !!!

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 06:42:51 PM »
From a close source.

Rougier is a free loader but was a great player and always thought he would have been better as a coach but he hanging out with Clint Marcelle to much, it rubbing off.

Gally is the head coach for UTT.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »
 :rotfl:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 02:15:57 AM »
By the way VB, I dealt with Rougier is the past while he was at FC South End and he was very unprofessional.

Would you care to give an example??

Roug might be having problems with people as a coach but I'm sure many here remember how the TTFF never had a problem with him playing for the Red, White and Black. He never gave us the problems of a Latas and Yorke and he was a general in whatever position we put him in.

I WILL NEVER FORGET how Jack Warner set up the man before teh WC qualifier vs. Canada in 2001, axing him from the team and citing discipline problems when the truth is he and he alone had the balls to talk to Porterfield about coming to practice smelling of alcohol.

VB

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 02:59:37 PM »

Roug might be having problems with people as a coach but I'm sure many here remember how the TTFF never had a problem with him playing for the Red, White and Black. He never gave us the problems of a Latas and Yorke and he was a general in whatever position we put him in.

I WILL NEVER FORGET how Jack Warner set up the man before teh WC qualifier vs. Canada in 2001, axing him from the team and citing discipline problems when the truth is he and he alone had the balls to talk to Porterfield about coming to practice smelling of alcohol.

VB
Hahahahahahaha...Dais what did happen? Yuh have to love TnT football yes, yuh just have too :)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 08:23:11 AM »

VB
Hahahahahahaha...Dais what did happen? Yuh have to love TnT football yes, yuh just have too :)

HaHaHaHa..... he wrong. Shoulda plaster that all over the press.  ;D

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 09:19:24 AM »
When they suspend McComie as under 20 coach, Rougier and Marcelle bounce one time cause they (Rougier and Marcelle) get vex they didn't get de wok?? a week before de incident, they was singing praises to Anton Corneal and de TTFF.

You cannot be a saint today and a snake tomorrow.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 09:42:16 PM »
When they suspend McComie as under 20 coach, Rougier and Marcelle bounce one time cause they (Rougier and Marcelle) get vex they didn't get de wok?? a week before de incident, they was singing praises to Anton Corneal and de TTFF.

You cannot be a saint today and a snake tomorrow.
Ah see Mcomie name and remember somebody say he was coaching ah team and went on and played and was doing ah set ah stepover, hahahahahahaha.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Back In The Day: Tony Rougier
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »
Back In The Day: Tony Rougier
Tom Lunn (thetilehurstend.sbnation.com)

For this first-ever segment of ‘Back in the Day’ I thought it would be a good idea to go right into it and hopefully over time we can uncover some very unique stories of what players are up to now. First up though is a player from back in the day that we should all remember well and fondly, mainly for the chant: “Rou Rou Rou Rougier!” Tony Rougier to be specific...

Okay, so it might not be that far back in the day but a quality player to set the bar. The Trinidadian started his senior career at La Brea Angels in 1986, making his way around domestic football teams in his home country before making a prominent move in 1995 to Raith Rovers, where he made his second most appearances for any UK club: 56. But before making his way to Berkshire, he had significant stints at Hibs and Port Vale while also netting a handful of goals making the midfielder well sought after.

Reading signed Rougier in August 2000 for £325,000, which even seems like a lot of money for us now… The price tag was indeed justified and, that year, he helped the team to a play-off final spot, and sadly to bring up the Walsall game, the first of many play-off final disappointments for me personally. But the year later, Rougier helped Reading achieve the promotion to escape what was then ‘Division 2’.

Rougier made a total of 84 domestic appearances for Reading, and six goals to his name was not a bad feat for a midfielder. All in all, quite a significant player to start with for this Back in the Day segment, but a great character to start off with.

But where is he now?
Rougier epitomises a successful football career in the sense that he eventually hung up his boots in 2011, a 25-year career in which he also made a real impact for Trinidad and Tobago for a decade. Usually after such careers players end up continuing on involved with football in some capacity.

Rougier is no different. His time at FC South End ended in 2011 - the team he’d co-founded while also being the technical director/player/manager in the TT Pro League, where his professional career started. That brings us to 2011 and it seems as though there’s very little documented* about his career until recently (*pending more research).

In November 2018, Rou Rou Rou Rougier was inducted into Raith Rovers’ Hall of Fame where he appeared on their TV channel in a great interview.

Here he updates fans on his current involvement in the US, “with New England Revolution, in the MLS coaching the academy team”. He goes on to explain how being inducted was so important to go to and, despite the busy time in the winter for the MLS, he told the managers “I’ve got to go, this is where it all began for me, it doesn’t matter what you guys have got on I’ve got to be here [in Raith]. It was a good reminder when I came over to play and it was raining, you know raining cats and dogs!”

It’s very apparent that Tony still looks back with fondness at his playing career. He doesn’t take it for granted and is almost humbled by his induction, wanting to give back where possible and still shows he’s loyal to the club that gave him the start into a long career overseas. I’m sure he’s still loyal to the Royals too.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 04:05:35 PM »
I not seein Rougier on the Revs website.  I hope he gets more opportunities.  This country have plenty sakr now, a man like him could go far in coaching.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2023, 07:33:35 AM »
Tony Rougier: The Brighton years
inparallellines.wordpress.com

TRINIDAD and Tobago international Tony Rougier played an eye-catching role in trying to help Albion avoid relegation.

He got off to a cracking start, scoring a goal within three minutes of his debut.

Manager Steve Coppell sent on the Reading loanee as a 61st minute substitute for winger Paul Brooker and he made an instant impact.

Relegation-threatened Albion were slogging out a stalemate against Mark McGhee’s mid-table Millwall at the Withdean Stadium on 22 February 2003.

Into the fray went Rougier, who had been sidelined by Alan Pardew at Reading having previously been a £325,000 signing from Brian Horton’s Port Vale.

When Bobby Zamora dummied Kerry Mayo’s pass to allow Arsenal loanee Graham Barrett to turn and move the ball goalwards, Rougier nipped in to complete a neat finish past Tony Warner in the Millwall goal.

Horton had given the Argus an insight of what Albion fans might expect when he said in an interview: “Tony has a great build and he is a threat with his pace and strength.

“We had to sell him because we needed the money and he was one of our major earners.”

He had been Vale’s leading goalscorer with eight goals in 38 games when they were relegated from the First Division in 2000 before moving to Reading that August.

Rougier made a total of 84 appearances for Reading, scoring six goals, and in his first season helped them to the Division Two play-off final where they lost 3-2 to Walsall (and Rougier scored an own goal after going on as a substitute). But a year later, he made 20 starts and 13 appearances off the bench as Reading were promoted in second place – behind the Albion!

He had scored twice in 12 outings for Pardew’s high-flying Royals in 2002-03, including in a 1-0 win against Albion at Withdean. But competition for places was fierce, with the likes of Nicky Forster, Darius Henderson, John Salako and Nathan Tyson.

Coppell told the Argus: “I speak with Alan fairly regularly, but this came totally out of the blue when I phoned him up.

“Tony is a big, strong lad and he gives us options. He can play as a wide man or down the middle and the move suits Reading, the player and me.”

Coppell needed forward cover because Gary Hart was about to start a four-match suspension, Zamora was banned for the next away game at Gillingham, Paul Kitson was still injured and Barrett was struggling for form and goals.

The following matchday programme observed Rougier had not been signed for his goalscoring prowess, but rather for his “power, direct running, and causing havoc that others can exploit”.

But the goal was very welcome in a season that might well not have ended in relegation if Coppell had started the season in charge rather than joining after so many games had already been lost under Martin Hinshelwood.

Rougier made his first start in a 3-0 defeat away to Gillingham, playing up front with Barrett when Zamora and Hart were suspended.

He featured in home wins over Rotherham United (2-0) and Nottingham Forest (1-0) as well as an away defeat at Stoke City (0-1), but he missed the 2-1 defeat at Sheffield United after twisting his right ankle against Forest.

He bowed out in style in his final appearance, making one goal and scoring a second in a memorable 2-2 draw away to Ipswich Town.

I took my then 14-year-old son Rhys to the clash at Portman Road and the lively midfielder-cum-striker in the no.34 shirt, who had been taken to the hearts of the Albion faithful, was suitably serenaded with the chant ‘Ra-ra-ra Rougier’ to the tune of the popular vaudeville and music hall song Ta–ra–ra Boom-de-ay.

His first significant involvement saw him go up for a header from Hart’s cross and Town goalkeeper Andy Marshall diverted the ball into his own net to gift Albion an equaliser.

Future Albion loanee striker Darren Bent missed a penalty that would have put Ipswich back in front, and then, with 10 minutes to go, Albion fans were buoyant with expectation when Rougier slammed the ball into the roof of the net after Ipswich had failed to clear their lines.

Unfortunately for Brighton, a 30-yard thunderbolt from Martin Reuser flew past Dave Beasant to put the home side level and Albion had to be content with a point, which ultimately wasn’t enough to avoid making an immediate return to the division they’d left the previous season.

While the player was keen to extend his stay, Pardew wanted him back to help with Reading’s promotion run-in, although thankfully he wasn’t involved in Brighton’s shock 2-1 win at the Madejski Stadium on 4 April (and Steve Sidwell, who had been on loan at the Albion earlier that season was an unused sub). Goals from Brooker and sub Kitson took the spoils for the Albion, Cureton netting for the home side.

The Royals finished fourth in the league before losing 3-1 on aggregate to Wolves in the play-off semi-finals, and Rougier was released on a free transfer having scored three times in 13 starts and nine appearances off the bench.

Rougier told the Argus he would be interested in returning to the Albion, but nothing came of it and he joined Brentford instead. Wally Downes was manager at the time and Rougier made 34 appearances for the Bees, scoring five goals.

But when Martin Allen took over as manager in March 2004, Rougier was one of five players he allowed to leave Griffin Park as part of a squad overhaul that ultimately helped them to a last-day escape from relegation.

Maybe the Brentford fans weren’t too disappointed to see the back of Rougier. For instance, ‘Boston Bee’ on griffinpark.org said: “Even when he actually tried (15min/match) he looked like he wasn’t trying” and added: “His lack of interest in the game going on around him drove me crazy.”

Meanwhile, Rougier linked up with another ex-Albion captain, Danny Wilson, at Bristol City on a free transfer. Indeed, Rougier appeared for the Robins when they lost 1-0 to Mark McGhee’s Albion in the divisional play-off final in Cardiff on 30 May.

But when Wilson lost his job that summer, Rougier followed him out of the exit and he returned to Trinidad, where he won the last of 67 international caps for Trinidad and Tobago.

He has since turned to coaching, becoming a UEFA A licensed coach, and attained a degree in sports development. On his LinkedIn profile, he describes himself as the founder, president and technical director of FC South End, and, in 2014, among his past coaching experiences was a spell working with his nation’s under 20 squad.

Four years later, he had moved to the United States to coach the New England Revolution academy team.

Born on 17 July 1971 in Sobo, a village in south west Trinidad, his footballing career was initially confined to his home country.

Tom Lunn, writing for Reading fan website thetilehurstend.sbnation.com in 2019, profiled Rougier describing how the player began his senior footballing career in his home country with La Brea Angels. His Wikipedia page says he also played for Trintoc, United Petrotrin, and Trinity Pros.

An Albion matchday programme article said Rougier then moved to New York where he spent a year working in the baggage department at John F Kennedy airport before heading to the UK.

After overcoming work permit issues, he was taken on by Raith Rovers where, over the course of two years, he became something of a cult hero. In 2018, he returned to Fife to be inducted into the club’s Hall of Fame.

“This is where it all started,” he said in an interview with the club’s TV channel. “It never felt the same whichever club I went to afterwards. The Fife people gave me respect and it’s something I’ll never forget.”

During the interview, Rougier remembered fondly an occasion when he man-marked Paul Gascoigne, playing central midfield against Rangers.

His stand-out moment was a UEFA Cup second round tie in Munich’s Olympic Stadium on 31 October 1995 when Raith only narrowly lost 2-1 to Bayern Munich who boasted the likes of Oliver Kahn in goal and Jurgen Klinsmann up front.

His performances for Raith earned him a £250,000 move to Hibernian. He scored four times in 45 matches for Alex McLeish’s Edinburgh outfit but in January 1999 joined Port Vale, signed by Horton’s predecessor John Rudge for £175,000.

By then he had established himself in the Trinidad and Tobago national side, a teammate of Dwight Yorke, and often being chosen as captain.

In his own words, he describes himself as: “A highly experienced football coach and former professional player with a career in the game spanning more than 25 years, I has successfully made the transition into coaching, management and club operations through a consistent focus on long term player and team development.

“A former national team captain with Trinidad & Tobago and a promotion winner in both England and Scotland, I have been able to effectively apply my on-field experience to guide team success and coaching strategy at professional, grassroots and school level.

“I am a positive, dynamic and passionate professional who is committed to my continued progression as a coach. I am always open to opportunities in which I can develop while positively impacting a football club or organisation, and would relish the opportunity to work with elite players within an ambitious environment.”
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 07:46:54 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>