April 27, 2024, 11:58:19 PM

Author Topic: Interactive: Jamaal Shabazz invites discussion on Gold Cup philosophy  (Read 3820 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Should Warriors go for youth or experience at Gold Cup?
By Jamaal Shabazz (Wired868)

I respect the readers, contributors, commentators and bloggers on Wired868, so I am throwing out a topic for discussion which can provoke a lot of thought among the national senior team’s coaching staff.

I have not approached the job of joint national team coach with any fear of being fired although I have learnt, from the top coaches in the world, that the one sure thing about coaching is that one day you will be fired. My life has always had a portion of danger, adventure and living on the edge.

Trinidad and Tobago’s football is at a most interesting juncture.

We are out of the 2014 World Cup, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation is struggling financially and heavily dependent on Government funding and we have certainly dropped from where we were and promised to be going since 2006.

In a quietly and unassuming manner, Hutson Charles, as interim coach, started the rebuilding process and qualified for the CFU Finals through two preliminary rounds despite the sneers and steups from the skeptics, financial woes in St Kitts and a scary draw with St Vincent in Tobago.

Enter Jamaal Shabazz: the proverbial prodigal returned not as head coach, not as an adviser but as joint coach; an innovative solution for an immediate problem.

Hutson Charles had done well but needed a bit more experience. Shabazz had one more month left on his loan contract to Guyana. So why not bring him back and see if it could work?

Hutson and I knew each other and have had a great relationship since 1981, which is before most of the players on the current national were born.

So now, amidst steups and hysterics from my haters, we have achieved our objective to qualify for the CONCACAF Gold Cup for the first time since 2007. We have a totally local staff too, so I feel that my trip to Guyana to prove that Caribbean coaches are ready to lead their national teams was not an exercise in futility.

Our qualification to the Gold Cup gives us a good short term opportunity to continue to have our players exposed to the highest level of football in our region as does playing in the CONCACAF Champions League, which is vital for our clubs.

So this what I am asking the readers: In your view should we go to the Gold Cup with our most experienced squad as Leo Beenhakker did when he took Trindad and Tobago to the Germany 2006 World Cup?

Or should we take youngsters with a view of molding a team for the 2018 World Cup? Or should we go with a mixture of both?

Each position has its pros and cons since results at this stage may be just as important to us as development. Good results at the Gold Cup will elevate our country in the FIFA rankings and enable our players to get work permits for the better leagues in Europe (like England) and not Finland as some bloggers whipped me about.

I have my own views and most definitely so will co-head coach Hutson Charles. But I have learnt from the late great Lloyd Best that we can learn so much from a difference of opinion coming out of intelligent discussion.

So what are your views?

Jamaal Shabazz

Humble Servant

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:31:33 AM by Flex »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Interactive: Jamaal Shabazz invites discussion on Gold Cup philosophy
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:37:51 PM »
Coach just pick all the top players for every position available let every pick make perfect sense.
1. Pick and play any local player who is in top scoring form at the time of any upcoming game ,no since he at home watching while a star miss firing .Trinidad biggest  biggest problem in every game is SCORING .
2.Watch Game tapes of all teams you going to play and adjust your players "pieces" accordingly and think about how it will work.
3.Allow no youth player in unless he is in sizzling form .forget about 2018 ,try to get pass this Gold Cup.
4.Dont allow your senior players from England ,make the locals feel inferior ,it must be a TEAM .If Edwards want to take all the freekicks let him allow Keon to take some .
5.Pick atleast one tough hard nosed tough guy.
6.Invite Birchy for some glue incase you need it ,hes just another peice at you guys disposal.
7.Always ask us here ,really open of you ,very refreshing of a coach of ours.
Might add more.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:48:54 PM by Quags »

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:23:31 PM »
Hehe. Definitely hope you share that on Wired868 as well :beermug:

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »
Never been there bro sorry .shoo forgot hes on your site.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:29:48 PM by Quags »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:00:10 AM »
3.Allow no youth player in unless he is in sizzling form .forget about 2018 ,try to get pass this Gold Cup.

Serious Quags ???..Really ???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 05:30:09 AM »
Hehe. Definitely hope you share that on Wired868 as well

Stop begging for bloggers Lasana. We good right here, yuh moving like Prakash, trying to theif supporters for nothing.

Besides, I would not waste my time, Shabazz and de TTFF will not take any advice from anyone, this is a big pappieshow, all they go say, good idea and give a big round of applause and nothing more.

Act like yuh know nah...

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:41:20 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 06:33:01 AM »

I think all our good youth players ,already thrown there names in the hat eint it eg .the Primus,Blatuea,Winchesters ect. ect.,I dont know of any exciting new prospects on the up .If there is bring him.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:27 AM »
The solution to the problem is simple. Have meaningful programs for the U23, U20, U18, U16, U14. Have these teams exposed to regular competition....high level competition.
Once this is done we will not have the problem of blooding new/young players into the Senior team, players will be ready to perform once they are selected.

Look at Europe. They have U21 Championships that run along with their Senior team competition. When ever It have FIFA Game Days you always hearing bout England U21 playing somebody..... Imagine ManU players, Smalling played with the England Senior team and Jones played with the England U21s last Wednesday.......What were our promising young talented players doing??

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 08:47:59 AM »
1. Pick the best players
2. Get a coach with international experience (not necessarily a foreigner) e.g. Hart, Lawrence, etc...
3. Practice games, practice sessions, practice, practice, practice... chemistry is important!

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:24:10 AM »

Stop begging for bloggers Lasana. We good right here, yuh moving like Prakash, trying to theif supporters for nothing.

Besides, I would not waste my time, Shabazz and de TTFF will not take any advice from anyone, this is a big pappieshow, all they go say, good idea and give a big round of applause and nothing more.

Act like yuh know nah...

I don't think is a matter of stealing support, he contributes and has been contributing to this forum for some time, very valuable and interesting stuff too, I don't see the trouble in posting a comment on his site.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »

I think all our good youth players ,already thrown there names in the hat eint it eg .the Primus,Blatuea,Winchesters ect. ect.,I dont know of any exciting new prospects on the up .If there is bring him.

there are always good prospects on the up. we miss too many of them and by the time they get to senior they don't have the experience of their competitive peers. some of our better prospects were only noticed or introduced to international play at U-20 level, which is IMO far too late to realize their full potential. good players like jamal gay, joevin jones, mikheil williams, leslie russel, jayson joseph, trevin caesar, juma clarence etc. come to mind

to begin a competitive career at age 18+ is an uphill battle. not just skills development, but if you are not trained hard and consistently to cope with the mental demands of sport from an early age you will see a greater proportion fall through the cracks. a symptom of this is the poor results that good local players get on trials. compare that to the U.S. where children getting up at all kind of hours to go to tournaments miles and miles away, playing in the cold, in the sun, in the rain, against other equally determined youngsters.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 09:59:48 AM »

there are always good prospects on the up. we miss too many of them and by the time they get to senior they don't have the experience of their competitive peers. some of our better prospects were only noticed or introduced to international play at U-20 level, which is IMO far too late to realize their full potential. good players like jamal gay, joevin jones, mikheil williams, leslie russel, jayson joseph, trevin caesar, juma clarence etc. come to mind

to begin a competitive career at age 18+ is an uphill battle. not just skills development, but if you are not trained hard and consistently to cope with the mental demands of sport from an early age you will see a greater proportion fall through the cracks. a symptom of this is the poor results that good local players get on trials. compare that to the U.S. where children getting up at all kind of hours to go to tournaments miles and miles away, playing in the cold, in the sun, in the rain, against other equally determined youngsters.

I dont know you have to ask Sam about any good youngsters .Good points tho . But all my golden generation guys from 4 years ago finally almost ready so me eint cutting them for no nashie newbies .
Btw where Juma Clarence at .

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
I see ah madman write ah whole essay bout why we should leave kenwyne out the gold cup, then he went and include of all ppl Devon fackin jorslin!  :frustrated: Some ppl really doh watch football nah!

He also went on to exclude Darryl Roberts, Cordell Cato, houton Hector, and Kendall/ jaggy! Could you imagine picking Jamal gay over Roberts and jaggy? These fackers eh know Shyte bout football nah!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:34:00 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »
I see ah madman write ah whole essay bout why we should leave kenwyne out the gold cup, then he went and include of all ppl Devon fackin jorslin! Some ppl really doh watch football nah!

He alsowent on to exclude Darryl Roberts, Cordell Cato, houton Hector, and Kendall jaggy! Could you imagine picking Jamal gay over Roberts and jaggy? These fackers eh know Shyte bout football!

Mr.Jones is an enigma for our coaches ,If you dont prepare a game plan for players with certain skill sets to succeed ,you might as well not even pick them eint it .
All the coach has to do is watch  how Kenwyne like to be set up for his goals on youtube ,and try to put at least one player in to supply him .
Maybe the players need to do more home work on there own and not rely on these coaches .
Darryl Roberts is our golden chile iyah.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:53:09 PM by Quags »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
The solution to the problem is simple. Have meaningful programs for the U23, U20, U18, U16, U14. Have these teams exposed to regular competition....high level competition.
Once this is done we will not have the problem of blooding new/young players into the Senior team, players will be ready to perform once they are selected.

Look at Europe. They have U21 Championships that run along with their Senior team competition. When ever It have FIFA Game Days you always hearing bout England U21 playing somebody..... Imagine ManU players, Smalling played with the England Senior team and Jones played with the England U21s last Wednesday.......What were our promising young talented players doing??

you don't even need to look to europe, look at what has happended right at home. the u-15-20 program starting in 2005 yielded big dividends. we now have a player pool stocked with good quality players like cyrus, primus, bateau, williams, de silva, paul, molino, bentick, aubrey david, gonzales.  these guys were regularly fed top quality friendly games against the likes of honduras, brazil, venezuela, paraguay, costa rica, nigeria, south korea, peru and mexico.

that whole exercise came about because the youth team immediately precdeing them, under brian williams, was packed with talent. that squad had keon daniel, carlisle mitchell, lester peltier, khaleem hyland, atullah guerra, aaron downing, javed mohammed and others. their training was minimal..preparations started very late, their prep oppostion was one setta pro-league and super league sides, and they were loosing left right and centre to the like of St Kitts. brian williams make a stink and they finally got venezuela as a practice match. but it was too little too late, they did not even get out of CFU. that such a talent laden squad did so poorly shocked the ttff, and that is when they started listening to men like Lincoln Phillips, Brian Williams, and yes Anton Corneal, who had been bawling for better preparations for years.

now these same players like guerra, daniel, mitchell, peltier and hyland form the core of our current team and men surprise when they struggling with caribbean teams.

as for shabazz question....the worst part is how the ttff failed to grasp the obvious. that better preparation leads to better results. the prep for the most recent U-20 consisted of playing play biche united and canada. the result? a cutarse from curacao and sent packing from CFU qualifying.

the truth is our most successful team of all time was among the least talented of its generation. imagine where we would be if guerra, hyland, mitchell abu bakhr, and daniel's team had the attention leston paul's team received?

shabazz knows that our more senior players will take us further in the gold cup. but in lieu of a real development program and the disadvantages we face relative to the dominant teams in concacaf maybe we should use the gold cup to push some the younger generation, seeing as their experience consists of little more than SSFL and biche united. or else we will be still crying years from now
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 11:15:07 AM »
Shabazz is looking for suggestions from the fans?  I have a feeling "haul yuh terrorist cyat" will be a popular one  ;D

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 11:25:56 AM »
Lasana, tell he ask Abu Bakr for advice.

If yuh looking for hits Lasana, write about how Jack Warner son in a Miami jail for money laundering.

Yuh bound to get real hits, TSTT go sponsor yuh for sure.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 11:46:32 AM »
Doh try dat Shabazz! What kind of PR stunt is dis? And aided and abetted by Lasana? Yuh surprise me!
A coach should have a philosophy and a vision and not  have to look for fans  for help! Just trying to pander to fans! By the way does Hutson Charles agree with this approach? Looks like you are undermining him.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 11:57:44 AM »
Cynical are we ,ok ...am in .
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:59:38 PM by Quags »

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 05:03:10 PM »
So this what I am asking the readers: In your view should we go to the Gold Cup with our most experienced squad as Leo Beenhakker did when he took Trindad and Tobago to the Germany 2006 World Cup?

Or should we take youngsters with a view of molding a team for the 2018 World Cup?

Or should we go with a mixture of both?

What does 'youngsters' mean? Fellahs under 25, 28? Foreign and local?

Steups man just pick who de hell allyuh want and stop trying to insult people intelligence yes.

Only in TnT!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »
Saunders u get roped into this chupidness too? Like is a pardner  thing with you and Lasana or what? Look what national coaching come to?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »
I will play along cause come Gold Cup this offer will be a distant memory if we make it to the quarterfinals.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 06:32:42 PM »
good stuff ZANDO
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 03:25:34 PM »
Coach Shabazz I am glad that you have decided to ask for our input..I will give my two cents..if I were in your position I would go with youth and the core would be local players. The Gold Cup is a tournament and a tournament is very different from WC qualification. Young players are better suited for this type of competition. They have more energy,take more risks and are hungrier to make a contribution. They would give you less problems ..they would listen to your instruction without giving you opposition..the discipline would be better and the ego problem would be less. Your task as a coach is to have a philosophy of football that these players would enjoy playing ,once they enjoy themselves.. you would be the best Coachman in their minds. You should have a philosophy which would be understood i.e the team knows it's objective when in possession and knows exactly what to do the moment possession is lost and knows exactly how to regain possession and once regained ..knows what's the final objective. The team has to know exactly what to do in every dead ball situation and understand the importance of the element of surprise.. both in attack and on defence. With a local base you would have more time to implement your philosophy the few foreign players that would join the team later would fall into a well organized system and feel comfortable right away. The most important thing is to show belief in your players,however you must be realistic, if a player is not well suited for a given role ,he should not be given that role, ask your players what they think...always get feedback from all directions..no one is saying that you have to listen to everybody ,you just have to take everyone into consideration..like you are doing right now..Thanks for the opportunity Coach..you have just gained my respect and support.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »
Maybe the players need to do more home work on there own and not rely on these coaches .

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Quags, the most sensible thing you have contributed since 2006.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:07:10 PM by Deeks »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 04:06:29 PM »
..if I were in your position I would go with youth and the core would be local players. The Gold Cup is a tournament and a tournament is very different from WC qualification. Young players are better suited for this type of competition. They have more energy,take more risks and are hungrier to make a contribution.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Coache, you sounding like a coach. ;D

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Quags, the most sensible thing you have contributed since 2006.  ;D
Thanks for being patient   ;D.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 04:23:57 PM »
Just FYI (or KIV for back home) post your input to the selection of the national team in the comments section of the article on wired868
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 12:43:03 AM »
Coach Shabazz I am glad that you have decided to ask for our input..I will give my two cents..if I were in your position I would go with youth and the core would be local players. The Gold Cup is a tournament and a tournament is very different from WC qualification. Young players are better suited for this type of competition. They have more energy,take more risks and are hungrier to make a contribution. They would give you less problems ..they would listen to your instruction without giving you opposition..the discipline would be better and the ego problem would be less. Your task as a coach is to have a philosophy of football that these players would enjoy playing ,once they enjoy themselves.. you would be the best Coachman in their minds. You should have a philosophy which would be understood i.e the team knows it's objective when in possession and knows exactly what to do the moment possession is lost and knows exactly how to regain possession and once regained ..knows what's the final objective. The team has to know exactly what to do in every dead ball situation and understand the importance of the element of surprise.. both in attack and on defence. With a local base you would have more time to implement your philosophy the few foreign players that would join the team later would fall into a well organized system and feel comfortable right away. The most important thing is to show belief in your players,however you must be realistic, if a player is not well suited for a given role ,he should not be given that role, ask your players what they think...always get feedback from all directions..no one is saying that you have to listen to everybody ,you just have to take everyone into consideration..like you are doing right now..Thanks for the opportunity Coach..you have just gained my respect and support.
Coache, yuh post dem real hard tuh read sah, maybe you should use paragraphs in yuh post in order tuh make it an easier read.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 12:54:10 AM »

Act like yuh know nah...

I don't think is a matter of stealing support, he contributes and has been contributing to this forum for some time, very valuable and interesting stuff too, I don't see the trouble in posting a comment on his site.

Sam just on shit.  Lasana need to participate more here and not just post if he wants the support, real talk.  But at the same time, nothing wrong with forumites showing some love on Wired868.

1]; } ?>