March 28, 2024, 11:56:32 AM

Author Topic: Jlloyd Samuel  (Read 9796 times)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jlloyd Samuel
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2018, 10:00:00 AM »
Wow, certainly didn't expect to read this when I opened this thread. RIP Jlloyd.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2018, 10:28:12 AM »
Life is precious. Prayers for his family. Thanks for your games. RIP warrior!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2018, 10:58:47 AM »
Devastating news.  Condolences to his loved ones.  RIP J Lloyd
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 11:00:21 AM »
Please accept my deepest condolences

May the comofrt of the Lord be with family and loved ones at this time of loss
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 11:14:00 AM »
Man I real sorry to hear this. Gone too soon. RIP

I believe he is andresamuel cousin. Correct me if I wrong.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 11:25:41 AM »
I believe he is andresamuel cousin. Correct me if I wrong.

Yes, he is.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2018, 01:58:07 PM »
Very sad to see this today. RIP J Lloyd

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2018, 02:37:08 PM »
Eternal text message to Jlloyd: Rest in peace, warrior! Condolences to the entire family.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2018, 03:04:36 PM »
Aston Villa wearing black armbands in remembrance of Jlloyd Samuel.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »
I thought I was going to read that he signed for some new club, not this!!!! definitely not this!!!!!!! RIP, Breds. Thanks for the short service to the nation. God Bless!. Condolences to his family!!!!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2018, 03:56:46 PM »
So sad. So young.

Even more heartbreaking that he was just doing his fatherly duty.

RIP Warrior.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2018, 05:31:52 PM »
 :( :( :( :'( RIP Jlloyd
I pity the fool....

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »
sad...sad

andre...blessings to the family
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2018, 09:49:39 PM »
The man car burst into flames, dred!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 01:42:47 AM »
OMG..... real sad news..

Deepest condolences for de Samuel family....

Andre, say something bro, hope u ok.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 05:11:30 AM »
Minister Cudjoe Pays Tribute to Jlloyd Samuel
Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs

The Honourable Shamfa Cudjoe, Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs extends deepest condolences to the relatives and family of Jlloyd Samuel on his untimely passing today, (Tuesday May 15th). Samuel, a former Trinidadian professional footballer died when his Range Rover collided with an oncoming vehicle while returning to his Lymm, Cheshire, England home after dropping his kids off to school.

Samuel 37, originally from San Fernando was an ardent professional footballer who played as a defender and midfielder. He represented Trinidad and Tobago at the international level. Samuel played for England at youth level, in Under-18, Under-20 and Under-21 teams, pledging his international allegiance to his homeland, winning two caps. Samuel’s senior professional career started at Aston Villa where he spent nine years at the club, later moving on to Gillingham, Bolton Wanderers and Cardiff City.  He also played for Iranian clubs Esteghlal and Paykan.

The Honourable Shamfa Cudjoe has joined with the nation and the world in mourning the passing of Jlloyd Samuel. Minister Cudjoe said, “I am deeply saddened to learn of Jlloyd’s death. The local and international football fraternity have lost a powerful figure in the sphere of football. His contributions to football would surely be remembered. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Emma and three children: Javarne, Lakyle and Amara. May his soul rest in peace”

The Honourable Minister Shamfa Cudjoe and the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs deeply regret the passing of this football icon. Once again we wish to extend our heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family here in Trinidad and the UK.

Rest in Peace Jlloyd Samuel!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2018, 07:14:46 AM »
Former Premier League defender Jlloyd Samuel killed in car crash
By Sam Wallace, The Telegraph

There were tributes from across football for the former Aston Villa and Bolton Wanderers defender Jlloyd Samuel who was killed in a car crash in Cheshire on Tuesday at the age of 37.

The former Trinidad and Tobago international, who retired after a period playing professionally in the Iranian Pro League, was killed in an accident in High Legh near Lymm where he lived with his wife Emma and his three children Javarne, Lakyle and Amara. His Range Rover was in a collision with a van and Samuel was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

Cheshire Police said that the van driver, a 54-year-old man, was taken to hospital for treatment to serious injuries. Samuel had been player and coach at the local non-league side Egerton FC in League One of the Cheshire Football League along with his friend Nathan Ellington, formerly of Wigan Athletic among others.

Samuel said last year that he was enjoying just playing and coaching after a long and successful professional career in which he made 219 Premier League appearances and was capped by Trinidad and Tobago, the country of his birth. His son Lakyle is understood to be at the Manchester City academy, also attended by the son of Samuel’s friend Emile Heskey.

The pundit Robbie Savage is the Under-12s coach at Egerton and Samuel used his contacts to persuade other famous former professionals to play, including Danny Webber, once of Manchester United and Watford, and Emmerson Boyce with whom he played at Wigan.

Samuel told the BBC in November that he loved playing at Egerton despite its relatively humble level and was determined not to “pile on the pounds” post retirement. He said: "The team were shocked when I said I would play. Sometimes I think I am crazy. I play on pitches that I have not played on since I was 12. There was one where it was raining like crazy, a proper mud-bath. I was thinking 'what am I doing here?' But I just still love playing."

He said: "I don't need to go searching for the last pay day. It is more of a fun thing and I prefer the business side of things, but I enjoy it. I get to train daily and play at weekends."

Villa said they were “deeply saddened” by the news and announced their players would wear black armbands in honour of Samuel in their Championship play-off semi-final second leg against Middlesbrough on Wednesday night. He also played on loan for Gillingham and Cardiff City.

A popular player, Samuel grew up in south London and was a graduate of the prodigious Senrab boys’ team in east London that produced Ledley King, John Terry, Bobby Zamora and Paul Konchesky among others. Like many of that generation he enjoyed a long and successful career in the top-flight of English football, beginning in the academy at Charlton Athletic and moving on to Villa where he made his senior debut in Sept 1999, aged 18.

Samuel was capped by England at Under-18s, Under-20s and Under-21s level and although he was called up to a senior squad by Sven-Goran Eriksson for a friendly against Sweden in March 2004, he was never capped and later went on to represent Trinidad and Tobago. He played nine years at Villa and another four at Bolton.

Cheshire Police said in a statement: “At around 7.55am police were called following reports of a collision involving a van and a Range Rover near to Costcutter on West Lane. Sadly the driver of the car, Jlloyd Samuel, 37, from Lymm, died at the scene. His next of kin have been informed and are currently being supported by specially trained officers. The driver of the van, a 54-year-old man, sustained serious injuries and has been taken to hospital for treatment.”

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2018, 07:34:06 AM »
What a sad story! RIP, Jllloyd. I grieve for his family!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2018, 07:55:50 AM »
Jlloyd Samuel: Tributes paid after former Aston Villa and Bolton defender dies in crash
BBC Sport

Former Aston Villa and Bolton defender Jlloyd Samuel has been praised as a selfless, honest and positive friend after he died aged 37 in a car crash.

Samuel, most recently player-manager of non-league side Egerton, died in an accident in Cheshire on Tuesday.

A minute's applause was held at Villa Park before the Championship play-off second leg between Villa and Middlesbrough.

The supporters sang "there's only one Jlloyd Samuel" during the tribute.

Ex-Wigan and West Brom striker Nathan Ellington, who played with him at Egerton, told BBC Sport: "It is gut-wrenching, he was an amazing guy. He did so much. He had a positive effect on people's hearts.

"I saw him all the time and would train with him. Everyone loved him, he was a great guy and always moving onto bigger and better things. He will be sadly missed.

"He loved football and giving back. That was the whole point of Egerton. He was at training every day, putting his heart and soul into it and helping the youth players coming through. It had nothing to do with money but a genuine care for people. He was selfless, willing to give back and help.

"He was also a successful businessman and a family man."

Samuel made 199 appearances for Villa after signing for the club in 1998 and played 83 times for Bolton between 2007 and 2011.

He won two caps for Trinidad and Tobago and also played club football in Iran between 2011 and 2015.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association said: "According to reports, Jlloyd was returning home after dropping his kids off to school and collided with an oncoming vehicle."

Ellington said his friend had spoken of his work in Africa, helping to support regeneration in The Gambia.

"He was helping to rebuild the country and financial structure. He was doing things on a big scale - meeting the president of the country," he said.

"He could not have had many regrets of how he lived his life. He did everything he could do to make a difference.

"He was always honest and good to you. He had everything you could want in a friend and many others say the same thing. It's a massive loss."

Egerton have cancelled all their games this week as a mark of respect.

"Jlloyd was a great inspiration around our club and first team this season," said the Cheshire club in a statement.

Former Bolton team-mate Kevin Davies said that Samuel was popular with fellow players and fans.

"I remember him being very smart, he was very dapper, always with a smile on his face and he just enjoyed his life," Davies told BBC Radio Manchester.

Ex-Villa boss David O'Leary, who managed Samuel between 2003 and 2006, told BBC Radio 5 live: "He was a very happy-go-lucky, smiling boy. I just remember him from day one as a refreshing young lad who wanted to do well. It was a pleasure to be his manager for three years.

"He wanted to learn, get better and do well. He wanted to play for you and I was grateful for his attitude.

"He had a personality and an easy going nature about him. He had natural ability and natural fitness. I am so deeply shocked with the news that a really nice person has been taken from us."

Championship club Villa said they were "deeply saddened" to hear of his death and the players wore back armbands in their game against Middlesbrough.

Samuel was capped by England from Under-18 to Under-21 level and was an unused substitute for a senior international against Sweden in 2004. He later played twice for Trinidad and Tobago, the country of his birth.

Cheshire Police said they were called to a serious collision involving a van and a Range Rover in High Legh, Cheshire at 07:55 BST on Tuesday, and the car driver Samuel died at the scene.

The van driver, a 54-year-old man, was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

Football pays tribute
Bolton Wanderers: "Rest in peace, Jlloyd. Our deepest condolences are with his family and friends at this difficult time."

Cardiff City: "We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of former Cardiff City defender, Jlloyd Samuel. Our thoughts are with his friends and family at this incredibly difficult time."

Charlton Athletic: "The club are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Jlloyd Samuel, who began his career in Charlton's youth system. The thoughts of everyone at the club are with his family and friends at this difficult time."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »
This was just terrible to hear about.......I can't begin to imagine the pain his wife, children and extended family is feeling.....*sigh* :'( :'(

R.I.P Warrior......keep ya head up Andre Samuel.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2018, 09:34:42 PM »
Heartfelt on this, dropping your kids off to school and then...thoughts and prayers with the family....RIP J Lloyd
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2018, 01:44:38 AM »
Jlloyd’s son to carry on his legacy, Family releases tribute to ex-Villa player.
TTFA Media.

The family of former Trinidad and Tobago international Jlloyd Samuel who died in a car crash on Tueday morning have paid tribute to him describing him as a loving son, father and brother.

His family released a statement via Cheshire Police.

“Jlloyd was a loving son, father, husband and brother.He was also a respected ex-footballer and businessman who played for a number of clubs.He was extremely popular and well-loved by all who were fortunate to know him. Jlloyd leaves behind a family including a wife and four children who are devastated by their sudden loss.

– Family statement "Samuel was born in the city of San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago but moved to England as a youngster and represented London Schoolboys teams."

His son Lakyle is a member of Manchester City’s academy and will now be looked at to carry on his father’s legacy.

akyle was a member and captain of City’s Under 12 team which won the inaugural Prospects Cup in Florida — a competition for 16 of the world’s best sides in that age group in 2017. They qualified from a group that featured European giants Real Madrid, Roma and Borussia Dortmund, they beat Brazilian side Fluminense in the semifinal in a penalty shootout. And in the final they won 3-0 against U.S. side West Soccer Club, who had previously won all the matches in the competition.

The City Under 12s also include Jack and Tyler Fletcher, who are the twin sons of Stoke City and former Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher.

He played youth football for Charlton before joining Villa, where he made nearly 200 appearances between 1999 and 2007. The club held a minute applause in remembrance of Samuel before their play-off semi-final against Middlesborough on Tuesday night.

Samuel was capped by England from Under-18 to Under-21 level and was an unused substitute for a senior international against Sweden in 2004. He would later make his debut under head coach Russell Latapy in a 2010 World Cup qualifier away to Honduras in San Pedro Sula.

Lakyle Samuel holds up a trophy as captain of Manchester City’s Under 12 team after winning a competition in Germany in 2016

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2018, 05:00:59 PM »
Condolences to the family. Shocking news. :(
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jlloyd Samuel: Player and teammate
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2020, 08:34:12 AM »
Jlloyd Samuel: Player and teammate
By Greg Styles (avfc.co.uk)

Jlloyd Samuel broke through the club’s youth ranks and went onto make nearly 200 appearances in an Aston Villa shirt.

Playing his part in eight Premier League seasons during his time in claret and blue, Samuel became a mainstay at full-back after initially plying his trade at centre-back.

On what would have been his 39th birthday, we remember him as a teammate and player in the words of the people he played and worked alongside.

Player

Samuel, who was born in Trinidad and Tobago, grew up in London and was part of the famous Senrab youth team that helped nurture the likes of John Terry and Jermain Defoe. He spent time in the academies of Charlton and West Ham before signing for Villa as a trainee in July 1997.

It didn’t take long for the defender to make his senior Villa debut, and in 1999 at the age of 18 he replaced Gareth Barry in a 5-0 League Cup demolition of Chester City. Appearances were fleeting over the next two seasons after he made his Premier League debut in February 2000, but it was clear to senior players in the squad that he was capable to playing in the top tier. 

Paul Merson said: “When I was here he was in the team every week, so he must have been 18, 19. He was well ahead of his time to be playing wing-back in those days, it’s hard enough playing as a 28-year-old as a wing-back, he was a kid playing that way.”

Having broken through under John Gregory and also played under Graham Taylor, it was under David O’Leary that Samuel enjoyed his best season in a Villa shirt. The full-back played every minute of the club’s 38 Premier League games as they finished sixth in the table and reached the League Cup Semi-Finals. His form at club level earned him his only call-up to the England set-up under Sven-Göran Eriksson in March 2004, although he didn’t feature for the Three Lions.

O’Leary, who managed Samuel for two years at Villa, said: “He was a very happy-go-lucky, smiling boy. I just remember him from day one as a refreshing young lad who wanted to do well. It was a pleasure to be his manager for three years. He wanted to learn, get better and do well. He wanted to play for you and I was grateful for his attitude.”

By the time he decided to move to Bolton Wanderers in 2007, Samuel had racked up 191 appearances for the club, scoring three times.

Teammate

Samuel spent ten years at Aston Villa, but his professional career lasted for a further eight years after he departed Villa Park. The defender represented Bolton and Cardiff before heading to Iran, where he played for Esteghlal and Paykan, creating many lasting friendships along the way.

Darius Vassell said: “Jlloyd was my brother on and off the pitch. He encouraged me to believe in myself as a player and person and always checked up on me to make sure I was ok. Jlloyd showed me that he was much more than a footballer and through him I have met so many special people and gained so much knowledge of what our world has to offer us.”

After his spell in Iran came to an end, Samuel returned to England and became player-manager of non-league Egerton in 2017. There he called upon the services of a number of former Premier League players, including Nathan Ellington.

Ellington said: "He loved football and giving back. That was the whole point of Egerton. He was at training every day, putting his heart and soul into it and helping the youth players coming through. It had nothing to do with money but a genuine care for people. He was selfless, willing to give back and help.”

Following his passing in 2018, the outpouring of emotion from former teammates, managers and clubs spoke volumes about the man Samuel was. Tributes came in from up and down the football pyramid, including ex-Villan Ashley Young who summed up how he is remembered by most in the game.

Young, who signed for Villa from Watford a few months before Samuel left for Bolton, said: “He took me under his wing when I joined Villa and helped me settle. Such a good guy on and off the pitch and a truly good friend.”
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:20:34 AM by Tallman »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2020, 10:25:51 PM »
RIP JayLLoyd!

1]; } ?>