April 26, 2024, 02:56:49 PM

Author Topic: The Value of Statistics in Football  (Read 994 times)

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Value of Statistics in Football
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:12:52 PM »
I am wondering if the National Coaches or any of the Coaches in Trinidad and Tobago make use of statistics. In the modern game, the use of statistics is the principal driver in player selection. It would be very easy to gather pertinent statistics on the player pool of say.. the Pro League in Trinidad as a way to determine through measurement, the quality of players that you have and to make selections in an unbiased way. Can anyone shed light on this?

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: The Value of Statistics in Football
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »
Good question. I've wondered about the level of sophistication in the national set-up.

But when I hear man saying that they don't even scout the opposition on a regular basis. I think I got my answer.
 :yellowcard:
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »
If dey cyar even get pay, I eh see how dey would be provided wit de tools tuh even gather de pertinent statistics.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:07:55 AM »
stats has its place in sports for evaluation up to a point. It is not always the final verdict. But as money is being poured into the game, the donors want value for their bucks. So to come to a conclusion in order to buy or trade, stats appears to play a part in the final decision.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 02:37:06 PM »
There are ways that you can assess players using statistics even in training that allows them to see whether or not they are performing at optimum levels, we did it outside all the time...it takes a coach who is somewhat detailed oriented and someone with the patience to sit down with players to individually review their performances. What it means ultimately is that you have players who are constantly trying to surpass previous benchmarks as opposed to players simply showing up to train. More goal oriented players thus a more goal oriented teams...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:22:32 PM by amwood »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 09:53:35 PM »
Gentlemen..I am happy to hear that you all agree that stats have great value ..Amwood especially has first hand knowledge of the benefits of its use.

1]; } ?>