April 19, 2024, 10:43:31 AM

Author Topic: Statesman Rowley just failed to show  (Read 901 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Statesman Rowley just failed to show
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:44:13 AM »

By Carla Bridglal carla.bridglal@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Feb 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM ECT
(
Story Updated: Feb 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM ECT )

Despite some red flags raised by international financial regulatory organisations, Trinidad and Tobago has the necessary framework in place to help control money laundering, accounting expert John Davies said yesterday.

Davies, the UK-based head of technical for the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA), spoke to reporters yesterday during a break at an Anti-Money Laundering Seminar hosted by the ACCA and the Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICATT) at the Hilton Trinidad, St Ann's.

The seminar was held to sensitise accountants to the latest revisions to international financial standards.

"The Financial Action Task Force (FATF) has red flagged T&T in a couple areas so clearly it is not satisfied all the controls and safeguards are there, but from what I've heard there is a lot of political will and engagement to try and make sure it works properly," he said.

In an interview last year with the Business Express, head of the Caribbean arm of the FATF, Calvin Wilson, said the level of compliance with the organisation's regulations in the region was about 40 per cent.

He said the country has the required framework and an active Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) to receive information about suspicious activities; what it needs now is to set the process for this intelligence to be used in the recovery of stolen property and conviction.

Previous Article

If the priest could play who is me and the man dont care who see.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:33:56 AM by zuluwarrior »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Statesman Rowley just failed to show
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:09:20 AM »
Sorry but I have read this over and over and i can see no link to the title of the story.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:36:12 AM »
You didint well i did ,sorry look again.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:10:38 PM »
You didint well i did ,sorry look again.

I could borrow your glasses please?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:55:58 PM »
uuuummmm  Zulu, I'm not quite sure what happened there but this is the story I saw to accompany the headline.....

At last Friday's election of a President, Trinidad and Tobago was looking forward to the rare eventuality of a process untroubled by the spectre of partisan bickering, boycott or sour withholding of endorsement. That this was not to be at the Electoral College's elevation of Anthony Thomas Aquinas Carmona remains to the singular discredit of Opposition Leader Keith Rowley.

Immediately upon his nomination by the Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar and 11 Government MPs, former justice Carmona showed as an inspired choice. Favourable sentiment toward him was given voice across the political and other lines that divide T&T.

Dr Rowley had recommended another judicial figure in Rolston Nelson of the Caribbean Court of Justice. The PNM leader, lacking the votes to trigger a Carmona-Nelson run-off, went along with the Government's nominee.

The stage was set on Friday for an untroubled exercise of statecraft, freely shared by all sides in the Parliament. It was a promise of a respite longed for by T&T sensibilities, battered by divisiveness, spite and accusatory fulminations.

Expectations proved to have been too high for an exemplary instance of seemly behaviour, suitable for the guidance of a beleaguered T&T youth deprived of role models.

Just when it was being imagined that the election of Justice Carmona would be hailed by Government and Opposition leaders, Dr Rowley claimed to find fault with the arrangements, and pulled the plug on such a presentation. If, somehow, completion of the formalities for the Carmona election was to reflect positively on the ruling administration, Dr Rowley determined to claw back something, by making headlines, for the Opposition interest.

He decided not to speak at the historic Electoral College convocation. Though the Opposition earlier favoured (or did not disfavour) President-elect Carmona, nothing will show on the Hansard record where Dr Rowley's party stood.

The Opposition Leader made a big deal of the requirement by Speaker Wade Mark, constitutional convenor of the Electoral College, for his statement to be supplied beforehand. Unable to resist bringing street-level politics into this Electoral College sitting, Dr Rowley accused the Speaker of wanting to "censor, monitor and vet" his remarks.

"I am not submitting anything to the Parliament for vetting by Wade Mark," he said, personalising resentment of requirements applying to preserve the non-political character of the Electoral College.

Did Dr Rowley really submit to the base fear that Speaker Mark would correct his grammar or polish the rhetorical style of his pronouncements? In the real world, he retains unlimited opportunity, in and out of the House, to deliver himself. Which Speaker would dare interfere with the content of his address, knowing the later retaliatory animus for "censorship"?

The Opposition Leader may have won something for his politics, but he gained nothing for his standing as a statesman.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Statesman_Rowley_just_failed_to_show-191752671.html
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:34:36 PM »
Yes I know the headline have know links to the story ,that is why I said if the priest could play who is me .
But my thing is somebody in the express messing up because the story came out on the 02/18/2013
was updated 02/19/2013 @this date the real story came out corresponding with the headline .

Story Created: Feb 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM ECT
(
Story Updated: Feb 19, 2013 at 7:20 AM ECT
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:46:57 PM by zuluwarrior »

1]; } ?>