April 23, 2024, 09:48:11 AM

Author Topic: Mom, children living in hunters’ camp  (Read 2860 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Mom, children living in hunters’ camp
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:49:18 AM »

Mom, children living in hunters’ camp

Published:

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Radhica Sookraj

Geeta Maharaj-Legendre and her children, six-year-old Calib and seven-year-old Corina Legendre are currently living in a rat-infested, dilapidated hunters’ lodge in Tableland. PHOTO: TONY HOWELL

Water and electricity are basic necessities, but for six-year-old Calib and seven-year-old Corina Legendre, these utilities are a luxury. The children along  with their mother Geeta Maharaj-Legendre, live in an abandoned hunter’s camp in the bush about four miles off McSween Trace, George Village, Tableland.

Although faced with abject poverty, they tried to smile when the T&T Guardian recently visited their home. As they crouched together on a makeshift bench, Maharaj-Legendre said her children do their schoolwork using a kerosene flambeau.

While other children play electronic games or watch television for recreation, Calib and Corina spend their spare time collecting rainwater and searching through the bush for dry firewood for their mother to cook with. Their meals are prepared on an open fire and breathing in the smoke has caused Calib to suffer fwith asthma.

A bumpy, gravel track leads to the hut, which is overrun by bush rats. The wooden structure has open air windows and rickety stairs. It is owned by an affluent family who once used it for weekend escapades. But for the Legendre family, the simple wooden hut is their sanctuary.

Maharaj-Legendre said she depends on their teachers and villagers for clothing and food. Her husband, who walked out on them five years ago, pays $1,300 in child support, and this is what Maharaj-Legendre uses to sustain her family.

Maharaj-Legendre said she wanted a better life for her two children who attend the Nipal Presbyterian School. “I don’t know how to read or write but I want to educate my children. I don’t want them to be dependent on people. My son wants to be a policeman,”  she said.

Their education comes first, she says. But the lack of basic necessities at home has made it difficult for them to excel. Maharaj-Legendre explained that because of the distance to their school and the lack of funds for transport, her children must walk four miles each day to get an education.

“They get up at 5 am and by the time they reach to school for 7 am, they feel tired. They complain that their feet hurt. I would drop them, walk back home and prepare their meals and wash their clothes. Then I walk back to school to bring them home,” Maharaj-Legendre said.

After doing their homework, the two children then go to bed at 5 pm, just before nightfall. “I have to light a flambeau and at nights we can hear the rats running in the roof,” Maharaj-Legendre said. Maharaj-Legendre said the hunters’ hut is isolated and dark at nights. “At times it is scary, but we all stay close together and sleep.”

Ian Puntai of the St James Presbyterian School who alerted the T&T Guardian to the family’s plight said he was concerned for the children. He said Maharaj-Legendre would often load her dirty clothes on a trolley and walk four miles to his home. “We would help her wash. I use my van to drop her off sometimes,” Puntai said. He added that Maharaj-Legendre also stores her flour, rice and other dry goods in buckets at his home to keep them away from the rats.

The children collect water for cooking from a tank which is connected to a rainwater spout. Puntai called on good samaritans to help the family. He said his church was willing to build a proper home for Maharaj-Legendre and her children if she had a piece of land. He also called on Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal to assist the children. Anyone wanting to help the family can contact Puntai at 656-3160.

I wonder how many more families it have like this in Trinbago.

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Mom, children living in hunters’ camp
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 06:13:50 AM »
Serious story.  Heard many stories like this from my parents generation during their childhood and adolescent years (50s/60s) in Southern TT but imagine it's more common than more of us know.  Would be nice if given their mom's focus and dedication these children could receive a fair chance/opportunity for success and then return the "favor" later in life; God bless them
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 06:52:33 AM »

Time for these kind of stories to become a thing of the past.
Everytime a government think about throwing a party they should ask themselves if there are any cases like this out there.

The 5 million they give the thug for  a CD that nobody see yet.
All the money spent on THA elections, the fancy shoes etc.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:34:15 AM »
this one real saddened me...i would be most afraid of them bush rats though...how big  them ting does get?

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:54:51 AM »
see why birth control is essential?

hear some cunnie come with eugenics chat now..yeah some cunnie I said.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:03:30 PM by Gershwin »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 11:00:31 AM »
This illustrates the abject lack of coordinated services among our respective ministries-  Education Social Services Housing. If the school reports this to Social services should they not investigate and then seek assistance from Housing to help rectify the situation?
For too long  governments of the past and present have failed to get out of the dark ages; drowning in bureaucracy while citizens suffer at the mercy of 'uncivil servants.'  We need to find simple solutions to complex issues rather than complex solutions to simple issues.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »

Bullshit. How is that applicable in this context?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:51:24 AM by asylumseeker »

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:26:56 PM »

yuh ass poor and hungery, yuh cyar feed yuh f**king self, yuh go bring chirren in to the fray?

You talking bullshit
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:26:07 AM by Gershwin »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:24:51 AM »
Gershwin shouldn't you be playing Rhapsody in Blues?  ;D

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 12:25:39 AM »
Gershwin shouldn't you be playing Rhapsody in Blues?  ;D

one setta tone deaf peoples here

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 06:13:18 AM »
Maharaj-Legendre said she depends on their teachers and villagers for clothing and food. Her husband, who walked out on them five years ago, pays $1,300 in child support, and this is what Maharaj-Legendre uses to sustain her family.

All who feel your situation cannot get like this think again,with the blink of an eye things can just happen.

If you was bless to have it nice say thanks  .

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »

yuh ass poor and hungery, yuh cyar feed yuh f**king self, yuh go bring chirren in to the fray?

You talking bullshit

Take counsel from Zulu above. Perhaps your condemnation should be directed to the departed husband who inseminated her in her contemplation of a lasting union.

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 11:54:10 AM »

You talking bullshit

Take counsel from Zulu above. Perhaps your condemnation should be directed to the departed husband who inseminated her in her contemplation of a lasting union.

So only women should practice birth control?  STEUPS>>>LOUD ONE TOO!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »
Gershwin, one door down de hallway is EUGENICS ... I've called ahead, dey expecting yuh!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 03:43:25 PM »
Gershwin, one door down de hallway is EUGENICS ... I've called ahead, dey expecting yuh!
You on shit... de man say "birth control", not sterilization.  He has a very valid point, people can't keep "making chirren" (read, having unprotected sex) without any thought as to the consequences or how they will be provided for.  It applies to both parents.

giggsy11

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 04:22:44 PM »
So five years ago things changed with her husband walking out-what has she done to get out of her situation? Is she learning how to read or write or is she just accepting things as they are? I am glad she wants more for her children but does she want more for herself also? People can only help you so much, but the rest falls on you.

truetrini

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 08:57:28 PM »

Bullshit.   And you know it.   Vicious case of social reproduction.  Look it up

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »
The woman has 2 children, not 22. She was married.  WDA wrong wid allyuh? Moreover, it's possible that birth control was in the mix at some point. Merely having 2 kids does not erase that prospect.

The kids are 6 and 7. Husband departed 5 years ago. De woman wasn't on some sexual spree as willy was being freed.

Allyuh real condescending to assert that because she's of lesser means she should be automatically less pre-dispositioned in her sexual freedom. On top ah that, allyuh doh know whether husband foisted himself on her such that she didn't have reproductive autonomy.

No where in the record does it state that she lived in this condition all along. Even if she contemplated having no education of merit and the prospect of a ruptured marriage as she was sexing ... wha she supposed tuh do? handicap herself through life hamstrung without kids??? (Allyuh know that poor ppl the world over have kids as an instrument to elevate out of poverty and as a mechanism to assist in their daily living, right?) ... Nonetheless, she's diligent in readying dem youths fuh school.

So what? She's illiterate? Ppl on this forum went to school wid ppl whose parents were illiterate and who today have contributed immensely to the society.

Aside from all ah that, I have a ton load of uncles and aunts that presumably my married grandparents should not have had because they were humble people. GTFOOHWDBS.

Eugenics is extreme buh ah find de rush to assertion heavy-handed too. I agree that there should be some forethought applied in contemplating having a family but who is to say that there was none applied.

Plus, iz ppl rong de woman asking fuh help. On de evidence, she going about her business as best she can normally. I eh see nutten say she personally asking fuh a handout ...

The presence of the rats is the compelling issue driving the public appeal ... anybody confronted with rats would likely do the same without becoming subject to reproductive scrutiny.

She no where comes close to the woman in Sando some months ago that was choosy about where she wanted to live and ended up turning down what the municipality offered.

She seems to be a dedicated mother acting responsibly (aside of course, from yielding to 2 sexual itches) ::).

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 11:06:53 PM »
All you talking about is "she", "she" and "she."  You too distracted by yuh crusade to recognize the truth of what is being said to you.

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 11:18:28 PM »
The woman has 2 children, not 22. She was married.  WDA wrong wid allyuh? Moreover, it's possible that birth control was in the mix at some point. Merely having 2 kids does not erase that prospect.

The kids are 6 and 7. Husband departed 5 years ago. De woman wasn't on some sexual spree as willy was being freed.

Allyuh real condescending to assert that because she's of lesser means she should be automatically less pre-dispositioned in her sexual freedom. On top ah that, allyuh doh know whether husband foisted himself on her such that she didn't have reproductive autonomy.

No where in the record does it state that she lived in this condition all along. Even if she contemplated having no education of merit and the prospect of a ruptured marriage as she was sexing ... wha she supposed tuh do? handicap herself through life hamstrung without kids??? (Allyuh know that poor ppl the world over have kids as an instrument to elevate out of poverty and as a mechanism to assist in their daily living, right?) ... Nonetheless, she's diligent in readying dem youths fuh school.

So what? She's illiterate? Ppl on this forum went to school wid ppl whose parents were illiterate and who today have contributed immensely to the society.

Aside from all ah that, I have a ton load of uncles and aunts that presumably my married grandparents should not have had because they were humble people. GTFOOHWDBS.

Eugenics is extreme buh ah find de rush to assertion heavy-handed too. I agree that there should be some forethought applied in contemplating having a family but who is to say that there was none applied.

Plus, iz ppl rong de woman asking fuh help. On de evidence, she going about her business as best she can normally. I eh see nutten say she personally asking fuh a handout ...

The presence of the rats is the compelling issue driving the public appeal ... anybody confronted with rats would likely do the same without becoming subject to reproductive scrutiny.

She no where comes close to the woman in Sando some months ago that was choosy about where she wanted to live and ended up turning down what the municipality offered.

She seems to be a dedicated mother acting responsibly (aside of course, from yielding to 2 sexual itches) ::).

Listen don't be a tun tun!   I made a comment about birth control,,,not specifically to her case but why it was important for poor people to practice it.  Now you jump in on some crusade to say this and that about the woman sex life etc.  and who contribute to society etc...it had nutten to d with literacy directly, but everything to do with poverty, and you know as well as I do that is the case.  It does have rich men walking out on dey kids and being dead beat..this man paying child support and from the amout he ass poor too!

additionally I never mention nutten about restricting she sexual freedom, not once, nowhere at no time..yuh inventive again..I said BIRTH CONTROL...not f**king control, but restricting the consequences of yuh f**king...uinderstand?

But you decide to assert I close to eugenics and such whatever hair up yuh arse pluck it out, me eh responsible fuh yuh ass grooming and its creature discomforts.

Anyway take yuh baton and run...THE FACT IS IF YUH CYAR AFFORD CHIRREN poractice buth c**trol.

Now you GTFOOHWDBSA!   (a for asshole)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:21:36 PM by Gershwin »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 12:18:53 AM »
Taking offense? What I stated needed to be stated because the door was opened to implicate such a response. Crusade my ass. The fact is that your reference to birth control was stimulated by this woman's situation. No way around that. Thus, no surprise I addressed my comments through the microscope centered on her.

(And, incidentally ... sexual freedom encompasses birth and f--king control).

I doh want to belabour this inanely restrictive view of who should have children ... because really I've stated that anticipating the growth of one's family is preferred ...

Let me paraphrase you: THE FACT IS IF YUH CYAR BE A GOOD PARENT,  practice buth c**trol? This woman is a good parent despite her present economic reality.

Being responsible for a child is more than a function of economics b/c not only do the wealthy abandon their kids, they don't necessarily make presumptively better or good parents. Being able to provide is merely part of the equation. Evaluating her solely on where she is now does not provide the full pic.

Would the husband (who walked out on her) being from the affluent family in whose household they reside alter your analysis?

So five years ago things changed with her husband walking out-what has she done to get out of her situation? Is she learning how to read or write or is she just accepting things as they are? I am glad she wants more for her children but does she want more for herself also? People can only help you so much, but the rest falls on you.

Bravo, Giggsy!

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 01:10:53 AM »
you on dat woman hard like you is de step daddy or what?  I amde a statement and you gone running with baton...again...if yuh want to be focused on dat woman,,,make ah f**king donation and stop talking shit.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
Maybe we can use some of this zeal on the forum to assist the woman.

It looks like she needs a house with running water and electricity more than anything.
I will call the reporter and see what we can do.

I have just arrived in TT so no big thing to make some calls.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 04:12:42 AM »

Help pours in for hunter’s camp family

...Good Samaritans plan home for mom, two children

Published:

Monday, March 4, 2013

Radhica Sookraj

Geeta Maharaj -Legendre and her two children: Calib, aged six, and Corina, aged seven, showing the love for each other inside their camp home. PHOTO: TONY HOWELL

Help is continuing to pour in for Geeta Maharaj and her two children who have been living in a hunter’s camp in Tableland for the past few years. The family’s plight was brought to the attention of Guardian Media Limited by Ian Puntai, of the St James Presbyterian Church. In an interview, Puntai said he was overwhelmed by the number of people, both locally and  abroad, who wanted to assist the family.

“We have collected a lot of food, clothing, stationary for them but what they really need is a proper home of their own to stay,” Puntai said. He added that people have offered to contribute financially towards building a house for Maharaj and her two children. “Some people also offered to rent a place for them to live so they will not have to walk four miles to get to school but we are finding it difficult to get a place to rent,” Puntai said.

He added that he was wary of collecting cash on the family’s behalf and planned to open a bank account for them next week. Puntai also explained that some of the items are being boxed for other needy families. “The food supplies are numerous and we are sharing it with other poor families,” Puntai revealed. He also said the Sai Baba Movement had also expressed interest in building a home for Maharaj and her children.

Meanwhile, Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal said officials of HDC will contact the family to see whether they qualify for a house. Television talk show host Inshan Ishmael also contacted the Guardian and said funds were being raised to help the family. Maharaj and her children live about four miles inside Mc Sween Road, George Village, Tableland. Every day, Maharaj walks with her children to Nipal Presbyterian School where she drops them off. Their hunter’s camp has no electricity and is overrun with rats.

The children spend their free time collecting firewood for Maharaj to cook. They study using a kerosene flambeau and has never watched television or played video games. Maharaj does domestic jobs for her neighbours. Her ex-husband pays $1,300 in maintenance for the children, which she uses for food. Anyone wanting to help the family can contact them at 656-3160.

Previous Article

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »
TT, look 105.1 soliciting opinions regarding whether Gov't should support the sextuplets ... I presume you'll be racing to share your perspective zealously.  :P

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 12:28:47 AM »

Published:

Monday, March 4, 2013

Radhica Sookraj

Geeta Maharaj -Legendre and her two children: Calib, aged six, and Corina, aged seven, showing the love for each other inside their camp home. PHOTO: TONY HOWELL

Help is continuing to pour in for Geeta Maharaj and her two children who have been living in a hunter’s camp in Tableland for the past few years. The family’s plight was brought to the attention of Guardian Media Limited by Ian Puntai, of the St James Presbyterian Church. In an interview, Puntai said he was overwhelmed by the number of people, both locally and  abroad, who wanted to assist the family.

“We have collected a lot of food, clothing, stationary for them but what they really need is a proper home of their own to stay,” Puntai said. He added that people have offered to contribute financially towards building a house for Maharaj and her two children. “Some people also offered to rent a place for them to live so they will not have to walk four miles to get to school but we are finding it difficult to get a place to rent,” Puntai said.

He added that he was wary of collecting cash on the family’s behalf and planned to open a bank account for them next week. Puntai also explained that some of the items are being boxed for other needy families. “The food supplies are numerous and we are sharing it with other poor families,” Puntai revealed. He also said the Sai Baba Movement had also expressed interest in building a home for Maharaj and her children.

Meanwhile, Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal said officials of HDC will contact the family to see whether they qualify for a house.
  :o ::) :o

Previous Article

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 11:06:21 AM »

Published:

Monday, March 4, 2013

Radhica Sookraj

Meanwhile, Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal said officials of HDC will contact the family to see whether they qualify for a house.
  :o ::) :o

Previous Article

That will b a short conversation.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 11:05:12 PM »
TT, look 105.1 soliciting opinions regarding whether Gov't should support the sextuplets ... I presume you'll be racing to share your perspective zealously.  :P

Yeah she ahd no right to make alld em damn chirren, no house, no money, now they need one setta help to get through!  Bullshit dese people doing.

AND the "doctor" who gave her fertility drugs should be shot!  what the f**k?  No fetal reduction?  Assholes!  Putting the babies and the mother at risk.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 12:50:19 AM »

Yeah she ahd no right to make alld em damn chirren, no house, no money, now they need one setta help to get through!  Bullshit dese people doing.

AND the "doctor" who gave her fertility drugs should be shot!  what the f**k?  No fetal reduction?  Assholes!  Putting the babies and the mother at risk.

She like de Octomom? De doc should be contributing to upkeep then.

1]; } ?>