March 29, 2024, 05:10:36 AM

Author Topic: Densill Theobald Thread  (Read 111208 times)

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Densill Theobald Thread
« Reply #540 on: January 06, 2016, 08:00:07 AM »
What are you smoking,as I do my best to avoid that brand
No reason to be going back,I am thankful for there time in service to the ball but these two gentlemen cannot be in any form or serious consideration for our met
Check it
Rastafari

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 06, 2016, 12:41:34 PM »
Densil served when called, but unless we talking are testimonials, they are both past their usefulness to the cause...densil moreso simply because he is more inclined to play safe, read negative football, if anything he will hold the team back ......thanks for the service nonetheless u always came when called cyah hate on dat  :beermug:
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Theobald back with Caledonia
« Reply #542 on: September 07, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »
Theobald back with Caledonia
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

Former Trinidad and Tobago senior men’s football team captain Densil “Bleeder” Theobald is back home for the next season in the T&T Pro League.

Except for one season with Joe Public, Theobald, 34, has spent most of his playing career with Morvant-Caledonia United. He has also had five one-year overseas stints with Falkirk (Scotland), Ujpest (Hungary) and most recently in India’s I-League with Dempo (2011-2012), Royal Wahingdoh (2014-2015) and Sporting Goa (2015-2016).

The 2006 World Cup veteran will be lining up once again with Morvant-Caledonia United for the upcoming season and he expects a much better showing from the former Caribbean Club Champions after seeing the talent in pre-season training.

Having finished fourth in the I-League with his teams in the last two seasons, Theobald said he is duty bound to return home and give back to the team and league which has been so instrumental in his success.

“It is always a joy for me to come back and contribute,” Theobald said, while adding that it was important for the Pro League to draw on “the experience of players who played abroad, like Kenwyne Jones, Carlos Edwards, Jason Scotland, myself, Anthony Wolfe, Cornel Glen. For us to comeback and contribute and draw the crowd back to the Pro League.”

Further, Theobald said it was important for player, clubs and administrators to keep improving and strive to make the Pro League better. “I always say it’s an important thing to have a professional league in Trinidad and Tobago,” Theobald declared.

“Something I will like to see as well, is the football going to the community fields where you can draw the crowd. Of course, you need to see the development of the field to be able to see high quality football.”

Theobald said his stints abroad has proved that there is a wealth of talent in T&T, but it takes more than talent alone to make it abroad. “It just goes to show that it takes more than talent to be playing in the foreign leagues,” he said. “It takes more of a strong mentality. If a player knows what he wants to do, and what he wants to achieve, the sky is the limit.”

Caledonia has a new head-coach this season, in Rajesh Latchoo, the former Joe Public head-coach, and Theobald also predicts a return to the limelight for the team this season based on available talent. “I think big things are in store for Caledonia this season,” he added. “If not winning the League, at least coming in the top three.”

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FDDdH5JE_W0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FDDdH5JE_W0</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 07, 2016, 09:31:31 PM »
Good for Denzil :beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 15, 2016, 12:53:50 PM »
Good to have some news about our players in India,I wondered what had happened to "Bleeder",but glad to know he is doing well,the Indian League is growing and it may turn out good for some of our players in the future.Isn't Glen and Theobald good enough to still play for TT,only asking.
Glen maybe... However Theobald was a great servant to the team and deserves 100 caps. Can anyone confirm? I believe he is very close to that figure.

Densill has 98 caps.

Did he ever get a testimonial game? Certainly merits one. Especially if it was 99.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 15, 2016, 01:13:36 PM »
Good to have some news about our players in India,I wondered what had happened to "Bleeder",but glad to know he is doing well,the Indian League is growing and it may turn out good for some of our players in the future.Isn't Glen and Theobald good enough to still play for TT,only asking.
Glen maybe... However Theobald was a great servant to the team and deserves 100 caps. Can anyone confirm? I believe he is very close to that figure.

Densill has 98 caps.

Did he ever get a testimonial game? Certainly merits one. Especially if it was 99.

Nope, and he's stuck on 98. Last game was a friendly against Jamaica in November 2013.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mumbai FC welcomes Densill Theobald
« Reply #546 on: January 18, 2017, 06:20:53 AM »
Mumbai FC welcomes Densill Theobald
By Nikhil Jitendran (goal.com)

Mumbai FC have made their first foreign signing of the current I-League campaign, with the capture of Densill Theobald.

Goal can reveal that the former Trinidad and Tobago (T &T) international midfielder is expected to turn out in the Yellow and Blue of the club from the commercial capital of India, after coach Santosh Kashyap identified him as a key ingredient in his set-up. Sources close to developments have confirmed matters are close to completion with respect to Theobald's participation in the league for the Mumbaikars.

Theobald, 34, is already experienced in Indian football. He first made his foray into the subcontinent in late 2011, by signing for Armando Colaco-led Dempo. His second tryst with Indian football came in the 2014/15 season of the I-League, where he donned the Yellow of Royal Wahingdoh under the same coach.

Their relationship blossomed on the pitch, with the Royal Stags taking the league by storm and finishing third in the I-League season, at their very first attempt after promotion to the top tier. The Port of Spain born player no doubt experienced one of his best upswings in form, netting thrice in 20 league appearances and becoming centrifugal to the team's rapid transition of play from the back.   

However, Wahingdoh withdrew from the competition altogether, which forced Theobald to seek a new haven. This came with a move back to Goan shores, where he joined the Flaming Oranje of Sporting Goa.

However, his venture on the Konkan coast didn't prove to be successful, as he made just seven appearances in the season, scoring none. 

A move back to his homeland beckoned, where he represented Morvant and Caledonia from the middle of 2016. His variegated career has seen him play in countries such as Finland, with Kuopion Palloseura, and Scotland's Falkirk - where he finished runner-up in the Scottish Cup.

He has won the Caribbean Football Union's (CFU) club championship and finished runners-up in the T&T Pro League, as well.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 18, 2017, 07:24:39 AM »
Go make some money.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 28, 2017, 07:20:26 PM »
WATCH: Mumbai FC Captain, Densill Theobald, answers questions from the fans

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p5bJ5vKiqwY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p5bJ5vKiqwY</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #549 on: January 08, 2018, 06:20:54 AM »
Theobald reflects on successful 2017 season.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

Former Trinidad and Tobago football team captain Densill Theobald has expressed his delight after playing a key role in North East Stars triumphant campaign in the 2017 TT Pro League season.

In a recent interview, the 35-year-old midfielder, who was a member of the TT team who participated in the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, reflected on his season at North East, his stint in India, as well as serving as a role model for youths in the vicinity of the East Dry River, Port of Spain, where he was born and raised.

JOEL BAILEY (JB): “First Pro League title, how does it feel?”

DENSILL THEOBALD (DT): “It feels good. It was a very tough season, with the financial resources facing the club. So, for (us) to overcome that and keep together as a team, to be able to put in the work on a daily basis, was a fantastic effort by the players.

It was a great effort by myself, knowing that it wasn’t easy. It feels great, no feeling could describe this. It feels like qualifying for a World Cup again.”

JB: “Your quote ‘it wasn’t easy’, in what way specifically? In terms of financially or standard of the league?”

DT: “I think it’s both ways because what has happened, the financial resources affect the clubs (and) that affects players’ mindset and what does affect players’ mindset (will) affect training sessions (and) game performances. So, it always has a trickle-down effect. Hats off to the Board because we faced financial problems (but) we still maintained our work ethic, our discipline, that mentality and attitude of wanting to be champions.

That says a lot of the coach, the coaching staff, the management staff of North East and owner Darryl Mahabir.”

JB: “What made you join North East Stars?

DT: “It was a decision of having contributed to the organisation of Caledonia (AIA – now Morvant Caledonia United) and after the past few years where we had failure at Caledonia and I was part of it, I realised that probably I had to take a step out to probably be myself, putting myself in a position of wanting to win a Pro League title. So that helped in swaying my decision to go from Caledonia to North East.

Also, I needed that motivation. So, it’s only a change in environment that would cause that motivation to reoccur again. All that played a part in helping me to come here. Also, knowing that (coach Derek) King was here, who I worked with before on the national team, and then you have guys like Yohance Marshall, the skipper Elton John and my good friend Kerry Baptiste.

With them being here also made it an easier decision for me to join the team.”

JB: “You have played a number of years in India, with Dempo (2011-2012), Royal Wahingdoh (2014-2015), Sporting Clube De Goa (2015-2016) and Mumbai FC (2017), how was it like?”

DT: “It was great. In my four years in India, I won the (I-League) title there the first time, I came third twice and then last season I got relegated. It was basically a fun time in Asia. I learnt a lot, it helped me to grow as a person and as a player. The difficulties faced as a professional is not easy.

People always look at you, playing outside of Trinidad for the better financial package but they don’t understand the hardship that you have to endure out there. For me, having to endure that hardship helped me eventually to keep my feet on the ground and make me the person I am. It helped me to really appreciate life on a whole. It was great time in Asia for the past four years.”

JB: “You were born in the East Dry River area, Nelson Street to be exact, how is life there now?”

DT: “It’s always difficult and it’s always sad to know that these places (are) crime-infested areas with a lot of stigma.

For me, as an individual growing up there, I always used to view that as a way for me to be positive, to turn that negative into something positive, to be a role model and an example for the younger generation coming up, showing them and letting them be able to see that if I can do that, coming from these areas, they can to as well. It’s not where you come from determines who you are but what’s inside of you, as an individual, helps you on your pathway towards greatness and what God has in store for you.”

JB: “How long do you see yourself going for?”

DT: “I don’t really have any set plan for when I would really park it up. My good friend Kenwyne (Jones) retired the other day and I told him I’m going to keep playing until I have no love, passion and desire again.

I love getting up on a morning, going to training, working hard, showing that example and being a role model to the younger players coming up, showing them what it takes to achieve that level that they aspire to. I still love it. As long as the legs keep going, I’m going to keep playing. When that day comes, then we’ll know.”

JB: “Are you hopeful of an international recall?”

DT: “I haven’t announced my international retirement as yet but I see myself not casting myself out of the international game but leaving it for the younger players because the international game is played at a faster level. It’s a lot more physically demanding at the international level so it’s going to be difficult. I leave that for the younger generation and the younger players aspiring to play for the national team.”

JB: “Finally, immediate plans football-wise and otherwise?”

DT: “Because of my passion and love for the game, my strong desire, my discipline, I see myself, after hanging up my boots going into the coaching aspect. I see myself as being a coach, wherever the opportunity might present itself. That’s where I’m going to go after football.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 13, 2018, 01:24:39 PM »
Who would have thought that this would be the reporting on Bleeder in 2018:

Central midfielder and captain Densill Theobald was the best outfield player for the Pro League team while substitutes Duane Muckette and Jason Marcano both came off the bench to add some verve.

https://wired868.com/2018/05/12/central-downed-2-0-by-arnett-gardens-pro-league-misses-caribbean-title-again/

Play yuhself baller.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Theobald wants TTFA top job...2006 World Cup player announces retirement
« Reply #551 on: February 23, 2019, 10:16:03 AM »
Theobald wants TTFA top job...2006 World Cup player announces retirement
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

FORMER national footballer Densill Theobald, 36, has decided to bring an end to his 20-year professional career, but he is only saying goodbye to his on field career as the former midfielder has goals of becoming president of the TT Football Association (TTFA).

Theobald, a member of the 2006 World Cup team that brought joy to TT, informed Newsday of his decision yesterday. Theobald, who last represented TT in 2014, will now hang up his boots in club football which saw him play for a number of clubs locally and internationally.

Theobald made 99 appearances for TT after making his debut in 2002 at age 20. Theobald, who last played for Central FC in the Pro League, also had stints with Joe Public and Caledonia AIA locally, at Falkirk in Scotland with fellow TT player Russell Latapy, while also playing professionally in Canada, Hungary, Austria and India.

“I have made the decision to retire, not from football, but from playing football,” Theobald said.

The former midfielder said he wants to stay involved in the sport. “It’s been a long time I have been involved in football and I know that this is a moment where I think it is the right time to say bye bye to the sport that I love, but I have a strong desire and passion to continue in a next form of football.”

Theobald, who grew up in East Port of Spain, has goals of leading the local football body.

“I want to declare my interest in becoming the TT Football Association president,” he said.

The former Malick Senior Comprehensive student wants to see growth in local football.

“I have always been one that wanted to see improvement in the local game. That is where I believe my passion, my desire, my love is headed now and I believe it can be fulfilled through the relationships with the stakeholders which are the players, the media, the corporate sector and the members of the general meeting of the football association as well. It can be improved through communication, building relationships and growing relationships like I said with the necessary stakeholders.”

Theobald wants to revamp the women’s programme, men’s programme and the youth development programme.

Theobald was adamant that he is ready for such a top position in local football. “I believe I am ready right away (to lead the TTFA). For me, doubt or worry does not exist in my vocabulary.” Theobald said because of his integrity, work ethic, desire and passion for the game he is capable for the job.

Theobald, who appreciates the skills of former national footballers Kerwin “Hardest” Jemmott, Arnold Dwarika and Latapy, along with current players Andre Toussaint, Duane Muckette, Ataullah Guerra and Kevin Molino, thanked all his supporters.

“I just want to thank the people who have been there for me – Jean Lillywhite from a young age, my brothers, my fans, even my critics, who I think have been harsh at times, but they must be thanked in every way possible for making my dream become a reality of playing football. Now, I move on to be involved in football in another capacity.”

Internationally, Theobald marvelled at the skills of Zinedine Zidane, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

Theobald, who joined Jean Lillywhite Soccer Coaching School when he was nine years old, said the coaching school was a major part of his development.

“Jean was the coach that invoked the basic fundamentals of playing the game, the basic skills needed and required for you to be a top level footballer, so I owe him a lot in terms of my development.”

After getting a professional contract with Toronto Olympians in Canada at age 17 in 2000, he had to return to TT after a few years following the death of his mother.

Theobald said his mother’s death affected his football career saying, “That sent my whole love for the football down a spiral, before it was reinvigorated through Caledonia AIA and by extension Jamal Shabazz.”

His mother died at age 42 because of a brain aneurysm when Theobald was 20 years old. “That was a downward spiral in my life because I was young and I did not know how to deal with situations like that, but thanks to God I recovered well and the rest is history.”

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 24, 2019, 02:47:57 AM »
Theobald is a good person to run but he don't have the money and will have the same problems.

You need some millionaire to run the TTFA.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 24, 2019, 03:53:26 AM »
Theobald is a good person to run but he don't have the money and will have the same problems.

You need some millionaire to run the TTFA.

What!!!! Sam is that you. Nah! This is another "Sam" impersonating the real Sam. Blessing Breds. But you are conrrect about Densil ambitions. Any TTFA President, must have access to substantial amount of money. Before that person decides. He or she must have very long term financial backers. With very deep pockets. Good luck to him.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 24, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »
Disagree and disagree! You all are buying into the wrong premise, but before we get to that ... let me address the 'TTFA president needs to be or should be a millionaire' assertion.

There are no guarantees that a millionaire president (how many milions by the way?) would be inclined to dip into his or her own pocket to support TTFA operations. Even if that person took money off their table to inject life into TTFA operations, there would still be the issues of institutional sustainability and profit/loss and servicing the institution's debt. Therefore, any such injection of $ by a deep-pocketed president would essentially constitute throwing money away gratuitously by that person. That person would likely ask himself or herself, how can I make this beneficial for me and my pecuniary interests? And with that allyuh would be at the bottom of a familiar and slippery slope. Not to mention if I am paying for everything who the hell needs accountability?

Of course, the injection of funds could be deemed a loan but given the financial reality and the debts and court judgements, the horizon and conditions for recouping that loan money would be an insecure path to trod. On top of that, there is a conflict of interest problem that would characterize an organization self-financed by a deep-pocketed president. And where would the restraining lines on authority be drawn? And by whom?

To say nothing of the dubious assumption that a deep-pocketed person would want other deep-pocketed persons to join her or him in a venture ... Yeah allyuh thinking traditional sponsorship, but what the TTFA needs is more than sponsorship agreements ... For instance it needs a revolving fund model on which gifts ($) without regard to amount are in a 100% tax deductible regime and dedicated donor relations staff that engage prospectively donors who ...

Anyhow, I have very specific thoughts on this that I will not share for free.

Back to the millionaire president assumption ... that papers over the cracks of the operational integrity problems the organization has and would eliminate many sensible voices from the table.

Imagine if the SSFL had a millionaire president. Could you imagine where we would be commercially now in terms of how our players would be integrated into the international football economy? Or is it not necessarily the case that it would it be more successful than what Wallace has in mind?

If you ask me, the SSFL and the government are missing a payday that's staring them in the face and which ought to be twinned to produce the finances to underwrite teams or representative SSFL teams touring abroad. 

Anyhow, what organizations need are dedicated and competent people running them. Don't kick those people out or block their entry into leadership because they are not at fault for the inefficiencies of the present funding models.

Lock a few sharp people in a room and doh let them out until they come up with a better way forward. Doh send for the millionaires without first achieving reform.

P.S. The president should probably also not be a bruk pocket prince and charlatan inclined to steal any and everything that comes across his desk or through the ports of entry. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 06:29:24 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 24, 2019, 11:58:13 AM »
Well put, seeker. Thanks for taking the time.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Beenhakker trusted me to mark Beckham
« Reply #556 on: February 24, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »
Beenhakker trusted me to mark Beckham
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

FORMER TT midfielder Densill Theobald said representing this country at the 2006 World Cup in Germany was the highlight of his football career. He said witnessing the brilliance of Shaka Hislop and Russell Latapy will stay in his mind, along with being given the responsibility to mark English football star David Beckham.

Theobald, who announced his retirement from professional football, on Friday, played all three matches for this country at the World Cup against Sweden, England and Paraguay.

Theobald always had dreams of making it to the highest level when he grew up in East Port of Spain. He said, “Just the living example of myself can infuse hope to the next generation coming from these areas and just being able to know that it does not matter where you come from, but what is inside of you plays a big role in becoming who you are.”

Theobald, now 36, was one of the youngsters on the TT team which included experienced players Latapy, Hislop, Dwight Yorke, Dennis Lawrence, Marvin Andrews and Stern John.

Theobald, who was 23 at the World Cup, said playing at the World Cup is a moment he will never forget.

“Most definitely (my most memorable moment) will have to be the 2006 World Cup. Just being a youngster on that team and having the privilege and the opportunity to play in the World Cup. I think it is unexplainable how someone can describe that moment to anyone – that will definitely be my highlight.”

TT brought joy to all supporters after holding Sweden to a goalless draw after playing the second half with ten men. Goalkeeper Hislop was one of the heroes for TT in the match making some brilliant saves.

Theobald said seeing the excellence of 37-year-old Hislop was special. Hislop replaced Kelvin Jack at the last minute for the Sweden match, after Jack was injured during the warm up.

“For me, there are a couple moments that stand out. One being in the first game with Shaka stepping in for Jack because of his injury and knowing that he had a fabulous, unbelievable match that game.”

Theobald said he admires Hislop’s work ethic. “It stood out for me because it just shows that if you fail to prepare you just have to prepare to fail. It just goes to show the type of person and man that Shaka Hislop was in terms of keeping himself prepared even though he was the third choice (goalkeeper) at that point in time.” Clayton Ince was also in contention to start after Jack’s injury, but Hislop was selected.

Theobald said being given the responsibility by TT coach Leo Beenhakker to mark Beckham during this country’s second match against England was a great feeling.

He said, “Another one that stood out to me was when Leo Beenhakker trusted me with that opportunity to mark Beckham out of the game for England. I was 23 years old at the World Cup and having a duty and role like that entrusted to you by a coach of that pedigree and experience was something that stood out to me.” TT prevented England from scoring for most of the match, before two goals in the final ten minutes gave England a 2-0 win. Theobald said seeing Latapy come off the bench against Paraguay in TT’s final match was a special moment also. “Being able to witness the great magician of Russell Latapy (was great). He was able to touch and grace the World Cup stage that he so desired all of his life.”

Latapy, who was 37 at the 2006 World Cup, came off the bench and played the final 23 minutes against Paraguay in a 2-0 loss for TT. It was Latapy’s only playing time during the World Cup.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #557 on: January 20, 2020, 05:13:46 PM »
Densill Theobald is the head coach for Morvant Caledonia United this (2019/2020) season.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 20, 2020, 08:09:36 PM »
wish him well, hope he takes more risks as a coach than he did as a player, where there is no risk there can be no discovery
I pity the fool....

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 24, 2020, 12:28:32 PM »
Very excited to see how it pans out. Do we know much of the rest of his coaching team?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A man is the product of his thoughts
« Reply #560 on: April 29, 2020, 09:06:05 PM »
A man is the product of his thoughts
By Densill Theobald (pushinglimits.net)

As I sat in my home a couple weeks ago watching the Ato Boldon Bahrain special on CNC 3 which showed the  behind the scenes of our 72 hours in Bahrain around the qualification to the 2006 World Cup, it brought me to a state of reminiscing and looking back at my journey - the before and after of World Cup 2006.

What an iconic moment it was in my life to be playing in the World Cup at the age of 23.  For the opening game against Sweden in Dortmund I was so full of anxiety that my head was telling my feet to run and it wasn’t responding as I wanted it to in the opening few minutes of the game. Not even the experience of Leo Beenhakker and our captain Yorke was able to soothe the nerves in the first 20 minutes but we did manage to be competitive afterwards as fate would have it. The game for me started a couple days before and the first whistle was blown the night before. In fact, I may have had a Covid experience on the night of June 9th, 2006 because I could remember lying down in my bed trying to relax myself knowing that there was nothing to do but to just wait. Almost similar to my routine these days.

We had a real homely atmosphere at the hotel in Rotenburg. The TTFF at the time did everything possible to ensure we had the best facilities, the nicest rooms, we had the entire hotel to ourselves and a local chef, Cecil traveled with us. This meant we were getting the right combination of foods as footballers and athletes but there was that home feel to it. We would get stew chicken and callaloo on some days, Oil down, Macaroni Pie, curry, corn soup and even local flavoured punches. It was most comforting for us as we had been on the road for almost a month before our opening game.

Before we got to Germany, we had traveled to England for a camp at Carden Park and then to Austria for a live-in camp where we played Wales. I remembered coming off in the second half with about ten minutes to go and as I passed Aurtis Whitley who was my replacement, I got a bit of a shove from Leo and a smile as well. His reaction meant that he was pleased with the performance. Even though we went on to lose the game 2-1, we were aware of this but not down. Leo had a way of making us realise that we could play and hold our own with anyone regardless of the strength of the opponent. It proved to be true in our opening game against the Swedes. From Austria, we went to Slovenia and Prague by bus where we played both Slovenia and Czech Republic. Those two games were very difficult  for us but it toughened us up some more for the main bouts. Leo took those games knowing exactly what sort of game the opponents would present to us in preparation for what we going to face when we got to our final destination.

By the time we got to Germany we knew what we had to do and what we were about to face.

The Covid-19 restrictions with the stay at home rule has allowed me to delve into some more footage of games from my playing career and the World Cup. The sadness of not being able to go visit my dad who still resides on George St, Port of Spain, my relatives and friends have been overcome with watching Russell Latapy destroy Guatemala on his return, Shaka Hislop pulling off some saves of his life vs Sweden or even myself wining on our plane ride back home from Bahrain.  The coronavirus may have led to a new way of life with me only venturing outside on two occasions to the grocery thus far and no sports to look forward to. But I can definitely say I am comforted by watching our past international games which can easily be prescribed as a pain reliever.

Tracking back from June 2006 to 1999/2000

While going to Malick Secondary School with my role model Kerwin “Hardest” Jemmott and my brother, I never envisioned at that time playing for my country but I can recall an elder man in my community telling me that when I go onto  play for the country, that is when we will qualify for a World Cup. I guess his prophesy was spot on. At that time I just wanted to play for my school and be the best I could be be whilst being around persons I looked up to greatly. I impacted the school with mediocre success in comparison to their past glories but I learnt a lot in terms of finding myself and working on my purpose.

Shortly after my days at Malick I grabbed the opportunity to move to Toronto Olympians with both hands as I had found my purpose in terms of what I wanted to do after my school years. I could have repeated CXC in order to play more school football but to become a full time professional was more appealing. It was tough sometimes  because I received a culture shock in my first week in Toronto. I was maybe the loneliest person on the planet  even though I was staying with my relatives. The temperature change and most of all football inadequacies were obvious. I am able to have a recollection now and I can see there is always a greater purpose for those who don’t quit. Wanting to make it is what kept me going until the passing of my mom two years into my stay in Canada.

Devastation, depression, heartbroken. Those are the words to describe my state at the time following mom’s death. But my flame was reignited by Rene Simoes when he became coach of the national team in 2001 as well as Jamaal Shabazz for a brief period before the flame started to burn even further by Bertille St Clair. He was not only brave to incorporate youngsters onto the international stage but he gravitated to me as we shared similar qualities in terms of discipline, work ethic and sincerity.

When I scored my first goal for my country vs Dominican Republic in the early stages of the 2006 World Cup qualifiers and what a beauty of a volley it was with my left foot, I must confess I was grateful to him as I was seeing the light at the end of the dark tunnel I had experienced the last two and half years. I  just kept telling myself that late evening in the dressing room, “Don’ t look back now. Keep pushing.”

Success has a way of getting your head in the clouds and staying there but that wasn’t the case with myself as I continued to represent my country despite coaches coming and going. With my continued presence in the national team for many years, the pressure began to become enormous as the stakeholders demanded and expected more of me on a continuous basis which for any human is not the easiest of things to get through.  We see it with Messi and Argentina, Wayne Rooney with England, Ronaldo with Portugal. No excuses here though.

My stint at Falkirk in Scotland thanks to a Latapy recommendation and a good showing at the trial prepared me well for the World cup, not that was my sole focus there. My desire to make an impression and impact at the club led to extra work, detailed planning and preparation that resulted not so much to the benefit of the club as I wanted but for my country. I began to move faster, I was getting stronger and that led to more minutes and confidence from Beenhakker in me.

The boss had a gift of man-management that was second to none. I remembered having a less than impressive Gold Cup in mid-2005 and was dropped from the squad.  He talked to me like a father talks to his son after he scolds him and that goes a long way especially coming from a man of his experience. Stephen Hart was the same as well and the only difference is that one took us to the World Cup and the other took us to the heights of some great Gold Cup performances.

As a player you have to deal with so much criticism to your individual performances, loss of confidence, poor performances, being dropped, lack of focus, how you deal with aspects of this reality in your mind. As Beenhakker said, the greatest gap between success and failure is in the thoughts. Your thoughts leads your action, your action leads your habits, your habits determines your  character, your character leads to your destiny. A man is a product of his thoughts.

The failings of another Gold Cup in 2013 under  Hart lead to my slowly but surely departure from the international scene. I embraced it as nonchalantly as possible even though I was approaching 100 caps for my country. And why?  Because I had given it everything to keep myself relevant and one must not deny the truth that Densill Theobald isn’t the most talented player the fans had ever seen but through my discipline, humility, work ethics, morals, values and principles, I was able to progress and attain a fair level of success.

Spending time playing in the league in India in 2011 and 2012 greatly shaped my perspective towards that approach of nonchalance, peace and tolerance. The latter end of my career found me to India but lo and behold, it wasn’t only be about playing football but also starting my spiritual journey. When one sees the poverty that is prevalent there, it makes for a moment of brooding. Life then takes on another meaning for you. It certainly did for me.  I had the privilege to accompany my close friend Jan-Michael Williams to Ujpest FC in Hungary for a trial which saw both of us being successful. I stayed on but he didn’t for reasons of his own. Hungary was very beautiful and enjoyable both on and off the field with fantastic accommodation  and a highly professional set up that was very attractive to any player. The club was even able to attract Leo Beenhakker after I left and that just goes to show their level of organisation and ambition.

It was totally different to my next adventure in India. This part of my journey was not the prettiest at first.  Upon my arrival into the country, I was sometimes made to cry myself to sleep as I questioned myself about what the hell am I doing here. As I look back now I can clearly see that progress is possible when one continues to move on positively by faith and belief. I see it as my second home now and I am very happy that through my impact there I was able to open doors for other countrymen to achieve success there and also importantly, India’s impact  on me with the  start of my spiritual journey.

I do hope that our country and by extension the world experiences a return to some of form of normalcy sooner rather than later. I hope  that we shall see sports again as we look forward to Champions League football, Club football, Youth football, Women’s football, School’s football and our beloved national team on the international stage again. To all of you reading this please adhere to the advice of experts and stay home, keep well and take care. I hope you to see you all around soon god willing in my new profound role in administration and coaching.

Blessings.
Densill

Densill Theobald is a former Trinidad and Tobago senior team captain. He grew up on Nelson Street in Port of Spain and was a member of the starting team for T&T's 0-0 draw with Sweden at the 2006 FIFA World Cup Finals. He is currently part of the management team with Caledonia football club.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 30, 2020, 01:50:51 PM »
:applause: :applause: :applause: Great and honest insights.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 30, 2020, 02:00:30 PM »
Merci pour votre bon service, Bleeder. Hope you continue to contribute.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 30, 2020, 05:14:35 PM »
Nice! Good read. Perseverance, resilience, discipline and commitment to upholding dignity. Thanks Theo.

This line gave me pause: "From Austria, we went to Slovenia and Prague by bus where we played both Slovenia and Czech Republic."

Sounds like a line from a James Bond movie. . .a fella from Nelson Street. Just saying.

So it pains me when these wicked so called football administrators cancel Olympic teams, play politics with our youths futures.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #564 on: May 01, 2020, 08:28:14 PM »
Although like many I questioned Denzil's constant starting on the NT. I always liked his story, he is an inspiration for the lower income youth.

I wish him the best.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Densill Theobald fit and waiting on Beenhakker.
« Reply #565 on: May 19, 2023, 01:04:22 PM »
World Cup player Densill Theobald glad to serve Trinidad and Tobago football again.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

TRINIDAD and Tobago 2006 World Cup footballer Densill Theobald is elated to serve his country again. This time the former midfielder will pass on his knowledge in the TT Football Association (TTFA) High Performance Under-15 boys programme.

Theobald represented the Soca Warriors at the 2006 World Cup in Germany, the only time T&T qualified for the tournament.

“It is always a pleasure to serve the country, especially in the capacity of football and more so for myself as a young aspiring, ambitious coach,” Theobald told TTFA media.

“It is a joy, it is something I relish. I am grateful at the same time that the TTFA gave me this opportunity to work with the Under-15 boys that started last year with the Under-14s.”

Theobald explained that the programme is geared towards developing players for the national Under-17 team.

“The high performance (programme) is based on developing most importantly. It is not a team. It started last year at the Under-14 level. It is a three-year programme that will lead up to the national Under-17 team that will prepare for the World Cup qualifiers…we started the screening process at Under-14 level and we have narrowed that down to the best 40 players to be part of the programme that will be coached at the highest level to try and develop that elite mentality.”

Theobald said TTFA technical director Anton Corneal understands the value of the programme. Paul Decle and former national player Yohance Marshall also coach the programme.

Theobald, who had the task of marking star English midfielder David Beckham during the World Cup, said the programme is about holistic development.

“The onus is on them (players) to take that responsibility what they learnt here and try to incorporate it in their lives. It is not only about football with us but also to create young men, create role models for society.”

On the field, Theobald said the programme will develop players tactically, mentally, technically and physically.

1]; } ?>