March 28, 2024, 12:29:03 PM

Author Topic: John Bostock Thread  (Read 96598 times)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Re: John Bostock Thread
« Reply #480 on: May 20, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »
John Bostock: ‘You see life differently when you’re that close to death’
By Will Unwin

UK Guardian

The former Crystal Palace prodigy, now playing in Turkey, tells how surviving a horrific crash gave him a broader perspective on his life and career

Footballers enjoy privileges that few can aspire to but for John Bostock the simple pleasure of being alive is enough. Last year when travelling back home in England following a game for his French team Lens, the former Crystal Palace midfielder suffered a head-on crash while driving down the motorway at 3am. The other driver was drunk and going the wrong way at 70mph, resulting in his passenger dying and Bostock’s car being a crumpled heap, but he was miraculously unhurt.

“Scientifically, I probably shouldn’t have survived that crash. Two cars hitting each other head-on at 70mph, it made me appreciate life, appreciate family and appreciate the gift that we have to live every day,” Bostock says as we sit in the dugout at his new club, Bursaspor. “It was a big wake-up call, something that there isn’t a plan to get over. You just have to focus on the future and take every day as it comes, appreciate life for what it is. I am grateful that I went through it because you see life in a different way when you’re that close to death.”

Bostock expected the damage to be worse but his strong Christian faith ensured he recovered from an incident which could have been far worse. “It is only by the grace of God I survived that crash. It is something you never want to be involved in but a huge wake-up call to life. As footballers we focus on football, your career and your own life but when something like that happens it makes you realise about life in general. My family were really shaken to find out someone lost their life in the crash, which was devastating. I came out without a graze, thankfully. Psychologically it took a bit to get over but I was back playing in 10 days.

“When you are involved in something like that, you are always thinking ‘What if? What if?’ and sometimes you get flashbacks. I couldn’t sleep for a night, it has a big affect on your family but it also made me realise I have a destiny to achieve; I am here for a reason.”

The tumultuous nature of football is something he can take in his stride after the disappointment of being tipped as a future England captain in his teens. Now that he is 26 and has survived a major car crash the prospect of switching continents at the end of the winter transfer window was not something to be feared. Last season he won the Ligue 2 player of the season award but it took until the 2009-10 Turkish Super Lig champions Bursaspor approached him on the penultimate day of January for him to move on to bigger things.

“It just came last minute but I spoke to the coach, I was ready for a change. I really wanted to play first division in a good league in Europe and I had several offers but I spoke to the coach here, Paul Le Guen, who in France is a legend. My friend Will Ekong is here and told me all about Bursa and the club, the supporters and the size of the club. We spoke, I considered it with my wife and my family, it was a quick decision but one we made and really believed it was in my best interests to sign and so far I am happy with my choice.”

From the relative tranquillity of Ligue 2, Bostock was thrust into a home debut against the Turkish giants Besiktas. It was a baptism of fire as the Englishman discovered the atmosphere he could expect at his new home ground, which is shaped like a crocodile in honour of the club’s nickname. “One of the things you realise very quickly is that it’s a cauldron of football. If you can play here in front of the fans and with the pressure then you can play anywhere. You see videos of how passionate the fans are. In my debut against Besiktas you couldn’t hear anything on the pitch, you couldn’t hear your team-mates, you couldn’t hear yourself think but that’s just the way of the fans, as they give you everything but they want something back.”

This interview takes place on a day the club’s players have refused to train having not been paid for five months, meaning Bostock had not received a penny in wages since his January arrival. Despite the financial issues, the midfielder is adamant he has made the right decision for his well-travelled career. “I’ve played in MLS, I’ve played in Belgium and France but here it’s completely different. I thought I’d seen everything in football but I’ve come here, seen a little bit more but honestly it’s an amazing place to play. The standard is terrific, I am playing against world class players almost every week, internationals in every club.”

After helping OH Leuven to promotion in Belgium and being named the best footballer in Ligue 2, Bostock has attracted suitors once again in England where he is still thought of as the kid at Palace who then never made the grade at Tottenham. But now older and more mature, he does not fear returning to England to show what he has become.

“People may feel like if I came back to England I may need to prove something but I am not worried. Maybe a few years ago I would feel worried and that I would need to prove myself, that I was this wonderkid but I don’t need to prove any of that any more. If I came back I would just want to do the best job I could for the club I play for and enjoy playing in England in front of my friends and family in the most watched league in the world.”

After helping ensure Bursaspor’s top-flight status for another season, Bostock is continuing to look forward as he never wants to dwell on the past, whether it be in football or his horrific car crash. “I want to be remembered as somebody who fulfilled the purpose they were created for. Sometimes if you start comparing yourself to others, you start chasing other people’s destinies and purposes. I believe I was made for a purpose. I am who I am and I’ve been on my own journey, it’s formed me to be the man I am today, my character, the way I play, it’s not been easy, so I want to be remembered as someone who never gave up and pushed to fulfil his potential.”

When Bostock left Spurs with nowhere to go, he was worried his football career would be taken away from him but he came close to suffering the greatest loss, so he is rightly content proving himself right and others wrong from afar.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 08, 2018, 06:00:27 AM »
 :applause:
wow. looked for him several games in turkey and never really saw him / saw a ghost of a shadow of his Lens-self. Really surprised and happy to hear this.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 21, 2018, 08:25:08 PM »
My boy's Billie Jean initiation performance was on Bein Sports tonight, it was impressive.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 22, 2018, 05:08:25 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BpMddLO7Y1c&amp;t=891s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BpMddLO7Y1c&amp;t=891s</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 19, 2018, 12:03:04 PM »
I watched J Bostock play today and he looks like a box to box English player he would help T&T midfield a lot.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 19, 2018, 01:36:44 PM »
I watched J Bostock play today and he looks like a box to box English player he would help T&T midfield a lot.
Is years we saying that breds, the man actually showed up to play in the qualifiers and his paperwork wasn't cleared....go figure!

I thought you wasn't a fan of foreign born representing us?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 20, 2018, 05:27:33 AM »
Is years we saying that breds, the man actually showed up to play in the qualifiers and his paperwork wasn't cleared....go figure!

But ent de paperwork was eventually sorted out but then he kinda blank we without really saying it?  Like he just kept not coming to join the team for one reason or another?  Is he or ah mixing him up with someone else??  :thinking:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 20, 2018, 09:16:26 AM »

But ent de paperwork was eventually sorted out but then he kinda blank we without really saying it?  Like he just kept not coming to join the team for one reason or another?  Is he or ah mixing him up with someone else??  :thinking:

I feel it have something to do with DJW, wasnt bostock shunned by him?
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 20, 2018, 02:37:21 PM »
Fellas, is time to move on.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 20, 2018, 08:01:50 PM »
I have watched J Bostock videos and he said he is trying to live a spiritual life so when it had a mix up with S Hart and DJW with S Hart trying to play the man with out proper paper work and with DJW stopping him that was a good sign to stay far from them 2 clowns.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 21, 2018, 09:04:30 AM »
Hear meh now.. 

D biggest mistake England make is not selecting Bostock for d World Cup..

He would turnup Croatia....  Sterling doe have d creativity like Bostock...

But say wha....dem English knoe everything... too  bad dey only know tuh select from d Premier League.

Bostock is ah Diamond in d rough....

Toulouse very lucky....dat man was called up by Barcelona...and dem fellas lapsing on he... :banginghead:
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #492 on: August 21, 2018, 09:12:44 AM »
Hear meh now.. 

But say wha....dem English knoe everything... too  bad dey only know tuh select from d Premier League.

Toulouse very lucky....dat man was called up by Barcelona...and dem fellas lapsing on he... :banginghead:
Pretty sure he can't play for England anymore. He already lock in with TT. If he ever play international ball, is for we. Whether or not he ever play is another story.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #493 on: August 21, 2018, 10:19:38 AM »
Hear meh now.. 

Pretty sure he can't play for England anymore. He already lock in with TT. If he ever play international ball, is for we. Whether or not he ever play is another story.

How ? We didn’t officially cap the man...

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 21, 2018, 01:56:02 PM »
Hear meh now.. 

How ? We didn’t officially cap the man...

you are allowed a one time switch bostock  played for england right up to under 20 level
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 03, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »
watch him come on in the 70th-ish there when his team finally equalized to make it 1-1. seem like his introduction was a slightly more defensive than attacking move. Looks like he play the same position as molino - behind the forwards -  except I would say he puts in better tackles than molino and reads the defensive end of the game much better...and is obviously playing at a much higher level.
Imagine a world where he coming on for molino in a T&T shirt. * wake myself up*.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 04, 2018, 01:22:54 AM »
watch him come on in the 70th-ish there when his team finally equalized to make it 1-1. seem like his introduction was a slightly more defensive than attacking move. Looks like he play the same position as molino - behind the forwards -  except I would say he puts in better tackles than molino and reads the defensive end of the game much better...and is obviously playing at a much higher level.
Imagine a world where he coming on for molino in a T&T shirt. * wake myself up*.
J Bostock and K Molino are 2 different type of players K Molino is a attacking midfielder while J Bostick is a box to box English type player he's the same type of player as K Hyland and A Boucaud but on a higher level.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 05, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »
I still have have heard a satisfactory explanation for his no show for the past WC qualification.

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 06, 2018, 07:51:09 AM »
He nor anyone have a definitive reason. All he simply said is he's not interested anymore.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 06, 2018, 08:26:03 AM »
I still have have heard a satisfactory explanation for his no show for the past WC qualification.
he pulled out of the games against panama and mexico and Lawrence never called him back since i think ....

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 06, 2018, 11:45:07 AM »
Lawrence did call him and he said he's not interested anymore. Lawrence was asked in his 1st press conference and that was his explanation

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 06, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »
Lawrence did call him and he said he's not interested anymore. Lawrence was asked in his 1st press conference and that was his explanation
he was focused on this club ... i think with promotion then he got injured with a few games to go

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 01, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »
Here's an article which raises Bostock as a possible target for Olympiacos ("Olympiakós").

Be sure to catch his Michael Jackson Billie Jean act from his team initiation. Better than the one he dropped for us?

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 07, 2020, 09:38:55 AM »
Bostock's been linked to numerous Championship clubs since his successful loan to Nottingham Forest. Sadly my Charlton have ruled themselves out, but we may see him back in the NT soon given the quality of leagues he is playing in.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 07, 2020, 12:39:45 PM »
Bostock's been linked to numerous Championship clubs since his successful loan to Nottingham Forest. Sadly my Charlton have ruled themselves out, but we may see him back in the NT soon given the quality of leagues he is playing in.

he has to be carfull the  Forest manger inherrited a big squad and then brought him in on loan  . HEFOUND PLAYING TIME HARD ....

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #505 on: February 02, 2020, 05:49:10 PM »
Charlton left frustrated as John Bostock deal falls apart – Toulouse failing to push deal through.
BY RICHARD CAWLEY (londonnewsonline).

Charlton Athletic saw a loan deal for John Bostock collapse before last night’s transfer deadline – with Toulouse FC failing to process a temporary switch to The Valley.

The former Crystal Palace youngster, 28, is on loan at Nottingham Forest.

But the Addicks were keen to add Bostock to their ranks after losing Conor Gallagher and Beram Kayal from their midfield options.

Bostock underwent a medical on Thursday night and was all ready to cut short his stay at the City Ground.

But Toulouse – who already knew that the midfielder’s salary was being picked up by Forest for the season – then produced radio silence.

Not only was it frustration for Charlton but also for Camberwell-born Bostock, who has featured just three times in the Championship for Forest.

Sportsmail understands Bostock’s agent, Rob Segal of YMU Group, is furious with the French club for the fact the move appears to have fallen through, barring a late U-turn. Charlton were keen to bring him back to south London as they look to preserve their place in the Championship following promotion last season.

It left Charlton to move in different directions and instead to added Manchester City’s Matt Smith and Birmingham’s David Davis before the 11pm deadline yesterday.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:56:06 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 03, 2020, 02:58:27 AM »
Well that sucks...

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 05, 2020, 11:30:32 AM »
News seems to be that he's been released from Toulouse. We (Charlton) might actually get him in the end!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #508 on: October 05, 2020, 04:05:52 PM »
John Bostock leaves Toulouse.
toulousefc.com

Two years after his arrival in Toulouse, John Bostock has left Toulouse FC (TFC) as both parties came to an agreement to part ways.

The talented midfielder arrived at TFC on July 5, 2018, from Bursaspor, Turkey.

The Haute-Garonne based club announced on Monday in a press release that the two parties had reached an agreement for a separation.

"One year from the initial term of his contract, the TFC therefore releases the midfielder," said the Ligue 2 club. We wish him a very good career."

Bostock made his debut for the French League 2 side against Olympique de Marseille on August 10th, 2018. One year from the initial contract he was loaned out to EFL Championship side, Nottingham Forest.

Video - THE SAD TALE OF JOHN BOSTOCK, THE KID BARCELONA ONCE WANTED

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 04:55:29 PM by Flex »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 05, 2020, 07:03:41 PM »
THE SAD TALE OF JOHN BOSTOCK, THE KID BARCELONA ONCE WANTED

really!

1]; } ?>