April 19, 2024, 02:20:46 AM

Author Topic: This sh!t is getting out of hand!  (Read 4589 times)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This sh!t is getting out of hand!
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
Not boasting, JC is ah well traveled man!

i probably been to most caribbean islands and touch down on a couple continents, also been to the south pacific and the northern hemisphere, and is one thing i could tell you that was evident, most young black males are lost lost lost!!

i remember when i went to the bahamas on my fuss honeymoon in 1992, me and my brand new wife went to a street jam with byron lee and a famous bahamian band and had to leave after 20 mins to my dismay, talk bout hooligan ting ! she was getting scared so we bounced!

every where we went fellas was on tough guy vibes. recently i was in barbados and i recognized the same phenomenon. most of the working class ppl kids was on tough guyism with a clear disregard for the establishment, the only saving grace in barbados is the police, who don't play with criminals.

st lucia was even worst, every young black male in st lucia is an aspiring bad boy! i also heard grenada and now st vincent is following suit!

imagine these places are surrounded by clear blue beautiful water, food in abundance, work is not scarce and with a great economy, especially in barbados, what de fack they need to invent enemies and ghettos for? their fackin life is comfortable, what de fack wrong wid my people boy ??!!

is the CIA behind all this bullsh!t??

check out this abomination. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TALDKkeKjGE&feature=endscreen&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fOBnXY52xs&NR=1&feature=endscreen

PS: i could understand jamaica and guyana, these places full ah poverty and rebellious ppl, even trinidad to some extent bc of their close proximity to south america and the recession we suffered and our corrupt politicians and police force,

but barbados? what ah sweet little island, them places have no ghettos, none @ all!! all their ghettos are imaginary and in the heads of those who wants to be in something.    foolishness!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:02:49 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: This sh!t is getting out of hand!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »
Similar films based in Diego Martin exist. They are of a higher technical grade but the content is just as despicable. It is part of a globally corrupt culture that associates masculinity with high risk antisocial behaviour. It is a global shame- a savage and backward culture. The culture is so destructive that it berates non-adherents who actually engage in productive activities as not black or  not gangsta, soft, uncool or gay because of this warped notion of masculinity.

Racism exists but it is the least of our problems.I honestly believe black people should study , master a discipline , create wealth and copy the best-practices of more successful groups.  Afrocentrism is an absolute failure.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:34:20 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »
Ah liking this thread already. (Jah G, I've seen you state that Afrocentrism is a failure before ... but on both occasions, I find the assertion tenuous when placed next to the matter under discussion ... what supports your assertion?)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 06:59:08 PM »
Similar films based in Diego Martin exist. They are of a higher technical grade but the content is just as despicable. It is part of a globally corrupt culture that associates masculinity with high risk antisocial behaviour. It is a global shame- a savage and backward culture. The culture is so destructive that it berates non-adherents who actually engage in productive activities as not black or  not gangsta, soft, uncool or gay because of this warped notion of masculinity.

Racism exists but it is the least of our problems.I honestly believe black people should study , master a discipline , create wealth and copy the best-practices of more successful groups. Afrocentrism is an absolute failure.

Boy ah never thought i would say this, but i have to concur.  i can't believe im gonna say this either, but under colonialism we were better off socially than we are post colonialism.

yeh boy jah, good observation, afrocentrisity wreaks of indiscipline fuh real, and it mash up the yutes and produce a generation of slackers, @ least what we know today of afrocentrism.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:04:45 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:03:50 PM »
So "Afrocentrism" is to blame? Be serious.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 07:20:25 PM »
No one is blaming afrocentrism, just our version of it. we gave our children the names but never bothered to educate them in the way of black culture. we also failed as parents when we try to be liberal and less strict than our forparents, we cussed, smoked and carry on in front of our kids and spaced on the discipline.

when i was ah yute, everyone in my neighborhood had to go to church, either on sataurday night or sunday morning, and even though we went to church to lime or see the girls, fact remains is that we learned some form of respect for life and knew there was a God watching us, but these yutes never went to church, or got discipline from their rasta, egyptologist or afro oriented parents who didn't suscribe to church or religious beliefs.

you want to know something else? the boys who turned out wayward and got caught up in bad behavior were the ones who's parents were lacks on the discipline, who never send them to church or taught them old values.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 07:40:12 PM »
No one is blaming afrocentrism, just our version of it. we gave our children the names but never bothered to educate them in the way of black culture. we also failed as parents when we try to be liberal and less strict than our forparents, we cussed, smoked and carry on in front of our kids and spaced on the discipline.

when i was ah yute, everyone in my neighborhood had to go to church, either on sataurday night or sunday morning, and even though we went to church to lime or see the girls, fact remains is that we learned some form of respect for life and knew there was a God watching us, but these yutes never went to church, or got discipline from their rasta, egyptologist or afro oriented parents who didn't suscribe to church or religious beliefs.

you want to know something else? the boys who turned out wayward and got caught up in bad behavior were the ones who's parents were lacks on the discipline, who never send them to church or taught them old values.

I maybe sitting on the fence with this one. Ironically I just posted something on the black people owning slave thread. Afrocentricity is surely not to blame. Afrocentricity has its flaws jus like Christianity, the democratic party, PNM.. etc. My point is that we cant point a finger towards Afrocentricity.. If so , then we could blame any type of organization of people.

I have 2 nephews. If I had to choose for them to join a gang or join the nation of Islam and sell books.. I would choose that latter of course.  Some of those groups recruit youth who are looking for answers. They give answers to these youth that stop them from joining gangs or selling crack. Thats where I think they have SOME good.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:48:06 PM »
I wonder how many deportees in all these Caribbean countries are part of the spiraling  crime scene. Without hope of a livelihood the closest alternative may be the only one some of these people does grasp for.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 07:50:29 PM »
Afrocentricity: Toward a New Understanding of African Thought in the World
by Dr. Molefi Kete Asante

http://www.asante.net/articles/5/afrocentricity-toward-a-new-understanding-of-african-thought-in-the-world/

Published 5/4/2009

Africa has been betrayed by international commerce and trade.

Africa has been often betrayed by the new science of the genetics of food, and the unequal distribution of resources.

Africa has been betrayed by missionaries and imams who have called our own priests and priestesses false while holding up Africa’s enemies as our saviors.

Africa has been betrayed by education, the Academy, and the structure of knowledge imposed by the Western world

Africa has often been betrayed by its own leaders who have shown a talent for imitating the worst habits and behaviors of Europe.

Africa has often been betrayed by the ignorance of its own people of its past. Africans are, consequently, the most betrayed of contemporary humans.

People so often betrayed must take a serious look at their own approach to phenomena, to life, to existence, to knowledge. The betrayals do not have to continue, nor must we resign Africa to the trash heaps of history as some contemporary Africanists and non Africanists have claimed.

A continent and a people with such incredible potential can rise to meet any challenge, but our thoughts must become truly our own thoughts, separated from the enslaving thoughts of those who have sought racial domination. Of course, when I speak like this, I am speaking of Africa in the context and spirit of Marcus Garvey. I accept that the African world is not merely a geographical entity but a world entity whether by our own making or as is most probable by the making of the assaults and attacks and aggressions against African people. We are found in every continent and we occupy positions of influence in countries as widely separated as Brazil and the United Kingdom.

My aim is to help lay out a plan for the recovery of African place, respectability, accountability, and leadership.

The theme of this conference takes us to the very core of the future of human interaction by seeking to examine Western knowledge, its structure, its relationship to conquest and domination, and its prosecution as an instrument to retain a white racial hierarchy in the world.

We know that Africans have thought about the universe longer than any other people. The people of the world have been black longer than any other color.

In fact philosophy itself originated in Africa and the first philosophers in the world were Africans.

The African tradition is intertwined with the earliest thought.

Yet from the beginning of Europe’s interest in Africa the European writers referred to ancient African works as "Wisdom Literature," in an effort to negatively distinguish African thinking from European thinking. They could not conceive of Africans as having philosophy.

Philosophy was meant, in their minds, to indicate a kind of reflection that was possible only with the Greeks. They constructed a Greece that was miraculous, built on the foundation of a racial imagination that established a white European superiority in everything.

Since philosophy was seen during the neo-classical period of European history as the source of all other arts and sciences, philosophy was the chief discipline. They saw it in the context of Darwinism where even knowledge was structured hierarchically. Indeed, I still remember how in the southern United States, during my childhood, the whites prohibited Africans from operating large machinery because it was considered much too intellectual for blacks.

Numerous European writers glorified the achievements of the mind of the Greeks. A Greek stood at the door of every science in the European mind. There were no secrets that had not been discovered by the Greeks. They owed allegiances to no one. They were immaculate, without blemish, isolated from every other people as the standard by which the world was to be judged.

Whether in art or science, in sculptor or mathematics, in astronomy or literature, they had no equal and were without antecedents.

However, according to the tradition of Western thought, it was in philosophy that the Greeks excelled. As Theophile Obenga says, others may have had religion, stories, wise sayings, and wisdom literature but the Greeks had philosophy. This was the highest of all disciplines and it was only through the minds of whites that philosophy came to the world.

Yet we know that the word philosophy is not Greek, although it came through the Greeks to English and other European languages. Seba, wisdom, the ancient Mdw Ntr word is the earliest example of reflective thinking. In fact, on the tomb of Antef I, 2052 B.C. we see the first mention of wisdom.

The word sophia, wisdom in Greek, is derived from the more ancient word seba, the African word. To say in Greek "philo" is to say brother or lover. One normally says that a philosopher is "a lover of wisdom." But the ancient Africans had come to this understanding long before there was even a nation of Greeks.

Indeed the first serious thinkers or philosophers were not Greeks. This means that not only is the word philosophy not Greek, the practice of philosophy is not Greek, but African.

Thales who lived around 600 BC is usually thought of as the first Greek philosopher. Some claim that it was Pythagoras, who was a younger contemporary of Thales, but I claim, with most Greek scholars that it was Thales since he is said to have told a young Pythagoras "You must do as I have done and go to Egypt to learn philosophy from the Egyptians." Advice which Pythagoras followed and went to Egypt, spending twenty three years at the feet of such venerable African teachers as Wennofer.

There were several select places where various aspects of philosophy such as social ethics, natural laws, metaphysics, and medicine were taught. One could study at the Temple of Ptah at Men-nefer, at the Temple of Bast at Bubastis, at the Temple of Hatheru at Dendera, at the Ausarion at Abydos, at the Temple of Amen at Waset, at the Temple of Heru at Edfu, at the Temple of Ra at On, and the Temple of Auset at Philae. Indeed, scholars and others could assemble at scores of other sites from Siwa to Esna for intellectual discussion and discourse. No city,however, was as rich in temples and schools as Waset where the temples of Amenhotep III, Seti I, Nefertari, Hatshepsut, Tuthmoses III, Mentuhotep, and the Ramesseum were in full flourishing from the Middle Kingdom to the New Kingdom period. Kemet, the ancient name of Egypt, was not without a considerable body of thought that had been amassed over many centuries. By the time the Greeks starting coming to Egypt as students in the 7th and 8th centuries the philosophers of Egypt had already created vast libraries of histories, science, politics, and religion.

Here along the Nile River Africans thought about the nature of the universe, the condition of good and evil, human relations, the administration of society, the character of the afterlife, the idea of beauty and the nature of the divine with intense reflection. I am not here interested on the impact Africa had on Europe or the influence that Kemet had on Greece. In fact I believe that it is time we wrest the study of early Africa from any comparison with Europe because Europe is not in the same league with its antiquity. We will become far more insightful about our own cultures as we gain deeper knowledge of our own societies in relationship to continuities, migrations, land tenure philosophy, family relationships, governance, writing styles and techniques, and the nature of morality in African terms.

Perhaps one day the names of the earliest philosophers will be as familiar to us as the names of the Greek philosophers are to us today. Why shouldn’t the world know the names of the philosophers who set the stage for human civilization?

Imhotep, 2700 BC, earliest personality recorded in history. Like the later personalities of Socrates and Jesus nothing of his writing remains, but we know that he understood volume and space, because he was the builder of the first pyramid, the Sakkara pyramid. He was the first philosopher, the first physician, the first architect, and the first counselor to a king recorded in history. The reports of his life and his work on the walls of temples and in papyri indicate the esteem in which he was held.

Ptahhotep, 2414 BC, first ethical philosopher. He believed that life consisted of making harmony and peace with nature. All discourse on the relationship between humans and nature must give credit to the life of Ptahhotep. Kagemni, 2300 BC, the first teacher of right action for the sake of goodness rather than personal advantage, came upon the human scene as an African philosopher nearly eighteen hundred years before Buddha. Merikare, 1990 BC, valued the art of good speech. His classical teachings on good speech were recorded and passed down from generation to generation. Sehotepibre, 1991 BC, the first philosopher who espoused a sort of nationalism based in allegiance and loyalty to a political leader. Amenemhat, 19991 BC, the world’s first cynic. He expressed a cynical view of intimates and friends, warning that one must not trust those who are close to you. Amenhotep, son of Hapu, 1400 BC, was the most revered of the ancient Kemetic philosophers. Next to Imhotep, he was the epitome of the philosopher. They people deified him as a god, as they had deified Imhotep, long before Jesus. He was called the most knowledgeable thinker of his day. Duauf, 1340 BC, was seen as the master of protocols. He is concerned with reading books for wisdom, the first intellectual in philosophical history. Reading he said was the best way to train the mind.
Amenemope 1290 BC promoted the philosophy of manners, etiquette, and success. Akhenaten, 1300 BC, promoted Aton as the Almighty One God. All these philosophers were hundreds of years before any Greek philosopher. Indeed, Homer, the first Greek to write something that was intelligible lived around 800 BC. But he was not a philosopher. He traveled and studied in Africa.

Kung Fu Tzu, 551 BC, the great Chinese philosopher, who believed that humans could make the Way great, lived much later than the African philosophers. But Kung Fu Tzu was a contemporary of Siddartha Buddha, 563 BC, the Indian philosopher lived about the same time and Isocrates who lived around 550 BC. Now as an Afrocentrist I approach the construction of knowledge from the standpoint of Africans as agents in the world, actors, not simply the spectators to Europe. Since Afrocentricity constitutes a new way of examining data, a novel orientation to data, it carries with it assumptions about the current state of the African world. One assumes for example that Africans are frequently operating intellectually, philosophically, and culturally off of African terms and therefore are dislocated, detached, isolated, decentered, or disoriented. One assumes also that this state is useful economically and politically for the West and not so useful for Africa and Africans. There is, consequently, a difference in opinions about the value of Afrocentricity. Those who have kept us off center seek to improve their position on our intellectual and philosophical grounds by cutting the ground from under any movement that teaches Africans to view themselves as centered agents in the world, not marginals to Europe.

What are the issues that are so hotly debated by Stephen Howe in his book Afrocentrism or by the French reactionaries Francois-Xavier Fauvelle-Aymar, Jean-Pierre Chretien and Claude-Helene Perrot in their attacks in the recently published Afrocentrismes. Of course, already I have responded to quite a lot of critics in my book, The Painful Demise of Eurocentrism. But what is it that scares so many white scholars and many black white scholars? As a cultural configuration the Afrocentric idea is distinguished by five characteristics:

(1) an intense interest in psychological location as determined by symbols, motifs, rituals, and signs.

A few weeks ago I was driving down a lone country road deep into the interior of Ghana and came across a small village of six or seven houses and a church. The church was the most beautifully cared for structure in the little settlement and right over the front door was a large picture of a white Jesus. Nothing illustrates for me more than this the intractable problem of misapplied agency, of deep dislocation. There is no referent for this situation except the domination of Europe in the mind of Africa. Nothing else can be said or ought to be said about it. It cannot and should not be gainsaid, argued, or debated, but it must be eradicated.

I believe that signs, symbols, rituals and ceremonies are useful for societies, and furthermore, I accept that societies are held together or disintegrated on the basis of symbols. We go to war over symbols, we fight over proper rituals of respect, and we find our lives enriched by the memories of those who have achieved heroic stature by standing for what we stand for. In the United States we have fought a battle with the State of South Carolina, the first state to declare itself independent of the United States during the Civil War during the last century, now it has become one of the last states to give up the Confederate Flag which stood for slavery, injustice, bigotry, and white racial domination of Africans. Many white South Carolinians have argued that the flag is a symbol of their ancestors’ fight against the government and they believe that it should stand on the grounds of the state capitol. Of course, we Africans, descendants of the enslaved, see it as a symbol of vicious racism. The debate is over the symbol as an engender of hatred and bigotry for a united society or as a particular instrument to encourage repression of a minority. We are clear that the aim of the symbol of the Confederate flag is not community unity, it is divisive, intentionally divisive. Here in the United Kingdom, you know too well the tyranny of racial and religious hegemony and the forcing of particular symbols and rituals of power down the throats of others.

But my aim, back to my point, is to show that the very intense concern the Afrocentrist has with psychological dislocation, that is, where a person’s psyche is out of sorts with his or her own historical reality, is a legitimate issue for any African corrective. You cannot have an African building a church in the heart of Ivory Coast that is larger than St. Peter’s in Rome without wondering what do we Africans think of our own ancestors? A one hundred or two hundred million dollar shrine to an African deity might have changed forever the religious respect for Africa. But a people who do not respect their own gods should not ever expect respect from anyone. I am saying this as one who is not religious. I am talking pure symbolism here, pure rationalism, not irrationality, but common sense. If you are not going to use the money as you should to improve the health conditions of African people, the educational standards, and the economic circumstances, then by God, use it to showcase your own ancestors, not to compete with Rome for who can build the largest European building in Africa.

Europe has had no problem asserting its hegemony over everything on earth. Huntington claimed (p. 81) that the West

Owned the international banking system
Controlled all hard currencies
Provided the majority of the world’s finished products
Exerted moral authority over other leaders
Was capable of massive military intervention
Controlled the sea lanes
Conducted most advanced technical research
Dominated access to space
Dominated aerospace
Dominated international communications
Dominated high tech weapons production

We seek neither hegemony nor domination of others, we abhor the idea that one group should impose its will on others against their wills. Yet it is just this deliberate insistence on the part of whites to hold hegemony over Africans that has caused so much racial friction and unrest. Not only has the time run out on this type of domination, there is no longer a willing audience for it. But the lingering effects of more than three hundred years of psychological and cultural domination have left us off of economic and political terms.

(2) a commitment to finding the subject-place of Africans in any social, political, economic, or religious phenomenon with implications for questions of sex, gender, and class.

The Afrocentrist is committed to the idea that Africans are agents in the world and therefore should not be viewed as spectators. But even more, I recognize that people can be seen as agents, but can have misdirected agency, a problem of immense proportions. You do not have to be white to serve those interests in the United States, you can be black and serve hegemonic interests against blacks. Today, a black ultra conservative serves as vice presidential candidate on the Reform Party ticket with Pat Buchanan, one of the most threatening throwbacks to the Neanderthalian age in American politics. There are always a few wobbly ducks who cackle on command from those who seek hegemony.

So the problem of Africans being moved off of terms is a world wide issue. It is not simply an American or a British issue, it plagues Africans in Canada as well as those in Australia. It raises its head everyday in South Africa and Nigeria, in Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire. Everywhere we are confronted with the possibilities of being moved to the margins, yet the task of our generation is to resist hegemony from morning till night. We can only do it, however, by seeking the subject place in everything. We remain one of the few people who have allowed others to become experts on our history and our ancestors; this is the source of our confusion. The Ghanaian often refers you to Rattray for information on Asante customs and some Nigerians still believe that Lady Lugard’s A Tropical Dependency says everything about Nigeria.

Afrocentrists take a strong view that racial, sexual, gender, and class discrimination and exploitation must be condemned outright and forthrightly. All Afrocentric analysis is a critique on domination. Furthermore, all Afrocentric analysis is a critique on hierarchy and patriarchy because the analysis stems from all forms of oppression.

(3) a defense of African cultural elements as historically valid in the context of art, music, and literature.

Since Europe has asserted Greece as the standard by which it judges and evaluates all things cultural, Africa finds it difficult, within this context, to speak of its own classical art, music, and literature. To say beautiful and mean only a European conception is to distort reality. It is only one conception. Michelangelo’s David is one way to look at a man, it is not the only way. The ritual dances of hegemony are often dazzling in their portrayal of Europe as the standard by which all others should be judged. The rhythms, however, are jagged, and imprecise.

To say classical art, classical music, or classical dance, cannot mean only European art, music, and dance, and be meaningful in the world context. Any cultural form worthy of emulation is classical for a particular history. There is every reason to speak of classical Akan or classical Yoruba or classical African American forms of art, dance, or literature as there is to speak of any European form. The problem here with our understanding is the deafening tones of white insistence on its own values as universal when in fact they are regional, particular, though exported internationally. As King Lobenguela puzzled over the Scottish missionaries interest in bringing their god to the Ndebele, he said to Moffat, "we have our own god, Nkulunkulu, and you have yours. Why do you want us to have yours?" Of course, Samuel Huntington said that the European world was not smartest or brightest but the most "willing to use violence to bring about its political will." King Lobenguela’s time was short; soon he had a flood of whites in his kingdom teaching "servants to be obedient to your masters."

(4) a celebration of "centeredness" and agency and a commitment to lexical refinement that eliminates pejoratives about Africans or other people.

There is an Australian poem that was taught in successive editions to primary school children in that country which reminded white Australians that

"We won our land from a nerveless race,
Too mean for their land to fight;
If we mean to hold it we too must face
The adage that might makes right."

This is how people are uprooted against their wills. But Europe makes no apologies to these peoples and whites have made no apologies in the United States for robbing the indigenous nations of their lands. In Africa, they sought to rob the land but found it overpowering and the people resilient on the land of their ancestors, yet Europe left an entire continent moved off of center, off of its own terms, and has repeatedly spoken of a failed Africa, a tired Africa, a HIV-infected Africa, a sick Africa, a despised Africa, and an Africa that cannot get its act together. Of course, for us, Africa must be convinced to do three things: (1) return to a strong sense of cultural identity, (2) create international networks of Africans on the continent and trans-continentally to cooperate on a global level, and (3) place emphasis on teaching children to leap-frog old technologies and finding ways to exploit the new information possibilities with vigor.

In this way we will celebrate centeredness and agency and not dismiss our own ethnicities, histories, and lessons to embrace others. All Africans, wherever in the world, have made valuable contributions to their countries, whether in the West or in Africa, and must be viewed and must view themselves as accountable, responsible agents in the world, not to be acted upon, but to act. Thus, it means that we must build institutions everywhere in our image and in our interests. One thing that happens to a people who lose their god, is that they lose their institutions, their reasons for being, and their language, and you cannot find the proper strength to build institutions until you rediscover your cultural center. Of course, we have many infusions into the African cultural stream and those infusions must be recognized, given voice, and seen as a part of creating a new African reality. Nothing remains exactly the same, but over time changes are often cosmetic, external, not core changing. Wood may remain in water for ten years, but wood will never become a crocodile.

We have been condemned for seeking lexical refinement, but that is exactly the role of any philosophy, to clarify issues, to discover the hidden pitfalls, and to steer people around dangers. You cannot refer to Black Africa and White Africa, you must not speak of Africa South of the Sahara, you should not talk of issues in the West and East as if there is no South, you will encounter an Afrocentrist if you speak of pygmies, Hottentots, and Bushmen. You cannot allow African agency to be assumed by Europe in the construction of science, history, or art. Why should a Nigerian write that Mungo Park discovered the Niger River? Did Livingstone really discover Victoria Falls or did someone bring him to Musi wa Tunya and he declared out of his own arrogance that he would rename it Victoria Falls? We have a big job, but it will be done this millennium.

(5) a powerful imperative from historical sources to revise the collective text of African people.

Whether we are on this side or the other side of the Atlantic we are an African people. There is no real reason to posit some hypothetical Black Atlantic. The Atlantic is neither black nor white, it is a deep blue. It is an ocean, and an ocean is neither a barrier to human interaction nor is it necessarily a consolidater of the human experience. We remain African though we become Jamaicans, African British, Haitians, African Americans or African Costa Ricans.

We must learn from each others experiences. It is the imposed isolation that has kept us from our true undestanding of ourselves. When the Haitian intellectual Antenor Firmin in 1895 wrote his famous book, The Equality of the Human Races, he was defending all black people, those in the United States, Brazil, United Kingdom, and Nigeria, against racist assaults and bias commentary.

I am convinced that the constituent elements for our recentering are rooted in four general areas of inquiry:

Cosmology-- nature of beingness, Ontology, Mythology;
Axiology--nature of ethical values;
Epistemology--nature of knowledge, proofs, methods; and
Aesthetics--nature of creative and economic motifs.

But what are we up against in promoting a mature understanding of how knowledge is constructed in the West to encourage racism? Often we are up against strange and bleak careerists who are writing as if they are writing out of our experiences when, in fact, their aims are totally distinct from the recentering of Africans in a human place.

Periodically there appears a book that runs counter to the wisdom of experience in the African American community. Against Race by the sociologist Paul Gilroy is just such a book. Gilroy, a British scholar, who teaches at Yale University, made a reputation in the states with the postmodern work, The Black Atlantic. I see this book as a continuation of that work’s attempt to deconstruct the notion of African identity in the United States and elsewhere. Of course it runs squarely against the lived experiences of the African Americans. The history of discrimination against us in the West, whether the United States or the United Kingdom or other parts of the western world, is a history of assaulting our dignity because we are Africans or the descendants of Africans. This has little to do with whether or not we are on one side of the ocean or the other. Such false separations, particularly in the context of white racial hierarchy and domination, are nothing more than an acceptance of a white definition of blackness. I reject such a notion as an attempt to isolate Africans in the Americas from their brothers and sisters on the continent, and of course, to continue the separations of Africans in Britain from each other. It is as serious an assault and as misguided as the 1817 Philadelphia conference that argued that the blacks in the United States were not Africans but "colored Americans" and therefore should not return to Africa. To argue as Gilroy does that Africans in Britain and the United States are part of a "Black Atlantic" is to argue the "colored American" thesis all over again. It took us one hundred and fifty years to defeat the notion of the "colored American" in the United States and I will not stand idly by and see such misguided notion accepted as fact at this late date in our struggle to liberate our minds. We are victimized in the West by systems of thinking, structures of knowledge, ways of being, that take our Africanity as an indication of inferiority, something to be overcome. I see this position as questioning the humanity and the dignity of African people. Despite what looks like acceptance of Africans on a political level, it is racist at the core, because it is an acceptance of what whites find acceptable, that is, the idea that certain blacks are no longer Africans. The easiest and quickest way in the United States to assume that position is to say that "you never left anything in Africa" or "you are not an African nor a black but an American" or to say "Africa never did anything for me." You become immediately accepted as an honorary white.

It should be clear that Gilroy’s new book, Against Race is not a book against racism or racialism, as perhaps it ought to be, but a book against the idea of race as an organizing theme in human relations. It is somewhat like the idea offered a decade or more ago by the conservative critic, Anne Wortham in her reactionary work, The Other Side of Racism. Like Wortham, Gilroy argues that the African American spends too much time on collective events that constitute "race" consciousness and therefore participates in "militaristic" marches typified by the Million Man March and the Million Woman March, both of which were useless in his mind. The only person who could make such a statement had to be one who did not attend. Unable to see the awesome power of the collective construction of umoja within the context of a degenerate racist society, Gilroy prefers to stand on the sidelines and cast stones at the authentic players in the arena. This is a reactionary posture. So Against Race cannot be called an anti-racism book although it is anti-race, especially against the idea of black cultural identity whether constructed as race or as a collective national identity.

Let us be clear here, Against Race is not a book against all collective identities. There is no assault on Jewish identity, as a religious or cultural identity, nor is there an attack on French identity or Chinese identity as collective historical realities. There is no assault on the historically constructed identity of the Hindu Indian, nor on the white British. Nor should there be any such assault. But Gilroy, like others of this school, see the principal culprits as Afrocentrists who retain a complex love of African culture, consciousness of African ancestry, and belief in Pan Africanism. In Gilroy’s construction or lack of construction, there must be something wrong with African Americans because Africa remains in their minds as a place, a continent, a symbol, a reality of origin and source of the first step across the ocean when they are really not African. But Gilroy does not know what he is talking about here. This leads him to the wrong conclusions about the African American community. The relationship Africans in the Americas have with Africa is not of some mythical or a mystical place. We do not worship unabashedly at the doorsteps of the continent although we have an active engagement with all that it means. Are we always conscious of it? Of course not! You will not find all African Americans walking around the streets of Philadelphia or Chicago or Los Angeles thinking about engaging Africa, yet we know almost instantly that when we are assaulted by police, denied venture capital or criticized for insisting on keeping Europe out of our consciousness without permission that Africa is at the center of our existential reality. We are most definitely African, though modern, contemporary, Africans domiciled in the West.

Actually Gilroy spends a considerable amount of time in this book explaining how race, a false concept, "is understood." He writes "Awareness of the indissoluble unity of all life at the level of genetic materials leads to a stronger sense of the particularity of our species as a whole, as well as to new anxieties that the character is being fundamentally and irrevocably altered" (p. 20). I do not know how Gilroy can move from this position to indict the African people as the carriers of this anxiety about "race," clearly a concept that was never promoted by African people in this country or on the continent. It is essentially an Anglo-Germanic notion, manufactured and disseminated to promote the distinctions between peoples and to establish a European hierarchy, as well as a hierarchy among Europeans themselves. We have no business with any kind of hierarchy; our business for this millennium is the recentering and reordering of the African world’s priorities based on a firm acceptance of Africa’s on role in securing the mutuality of the human destiny.

When a new generation looks upon us, may they look upon this generation of Africans with the pride that comes from knowing that there have been those who stood for truth and right when it was easier to melt into the crowd of turncoats. May that new generation take up the same battles and go from victory to victory until we wipe all forms of human degradation from the face of the earth.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:30:22 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 07:50:55 PM »
To be honest Jus, I think this type of behaviour that we are seeing from our young black brothers is more related to their lack of belongingness, lack of hope and definition of what a man is. Is this a consequence of poverty or racism or both? Now when I say racism I mean the political, economic and cultural form.. Not the type of racism that is defined by a redneck holding a stick saying he hates niggers and he will not let niggers in his bar.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 07:56:39 PM »

Wrong label.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 10:46:04 PM »
Ah liking this thread already. (Jah G, I've seen you state that Afrocentrism is a failure before ... but on both occasions, I find the assertion tenuous when placed next to the matter under discussion ... what supports your assertion?)
By that I mean the real condition of black people comparatively has worsened in spite of movements to improve consciousness, educate people about history and encourage black pride. It helped in some superficial ways like children's names and in the appreciation african physical aesthetics.  But consider Jamaica for instance ,the home Marcus Garvey and Bob Marley. Fast Foward to 2013 and biggest artist bleaches his skin and there's the passa passa phenomenon.

The movements did not focus enough of its energies on socio-economic strategies to transform individuals and families. I go back to my point about adopting the best-practices of other groups. The initial consciousness evolved into a variety of xenophobia (I'm probably using the wrong word) that treated those who did not adhere to a warped idea of blackness as pariahs. This along with a lack of accountability in my view led to social devolution which is connected to though not entirely the cause of the pervasive culture of violence JC introduced.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 12:19:30 AM »
The pervasive culture is a product of a lack of consciousness, but it isn't caused by "consciousness". You all conflating too many things in this discussion.

Jah Gol, Jamaica is a society rooted in immense contradictions and distortions. It is not unfathomable that a nation could produce the liberating thought of Marley and give rise to passa passa in a subsequent iteration. Many Jamaicans can't distill Rastafarianism in a sensible or coherent 3 sentences, but Marley remained embraced even though there was an unwarrantedly lengthy discussion about whether he should enter the pantheon of national heroes (this of a man who arguably engaged in the most significant political iconography in post-independence Jamaica @ the Peace concert).

I take significant issue with your view. The movements served their purpose (to stimulate thought and muster personal dignity). As nascent nations, it is/was the function of governments "to focus energies on socio-economic strategies to transform individuals and families". What you're skimming over is that pre- and post-independence Caribbean governments viewed such expressions of self-assertion by ppl like Marley and Rodney as threatening, not valuable, sinister, etc. There was no incorporation of these streams of black social and political thought into formal structures so to blame them is flawed. These thought constructs ended up functioning on the margins of legitimacy and thereby were given space to be reinterpreted and redefined by people who were themselves at the margins of society, and arguably least equipped to project the most sensible of articulations. Our leadership abdicated its role of incorporating the "up up you mighty race". Decades after we've been responsible for marshaling our own education protocols, we still teach history in a way that doesn't educate youths about enslavement in a conscious and nurturing way.

At this stage in the exchange, I'm not going to address your reference to "adopting the best practices of other groups" because that is symptomatic of not understanding some of the fundamental, axiomatic things that distinguish the experience of black people in the New World. Those others didn't attain their alleged best-practices in a vaccum. I also don't see comparators as helpful because oftentimes these are rooted in stereotypes about Chinees, Indians, Syrians etc. without discounting or appreciating that post-enslavement generations of black people are daily engaged in mimicking and mimickry (itself a vestige of enslavement) others. When a significant portion of one's time is dedicated to consumption, a significant portion of one's time is unavailable for production.

I will say this: the Jamaicanization of Caribbean society is a major factor in the pathology you lament. This isn't to cast aspersions on Jamaican society. It is to point out that replicating elements of the Jamaican societal landscape elsewhere was to insert variables into wholly different societies. Societies that instinctively could relate to the idiom of music but that didn't filter the distinctions that would provoke the pathologies we now see.

What else? The Nation of Islam is not in my view a component of Afrocentricity. Neither are the 5 per centers or the Moorish Science people. Just because a group has a predominantly or even exclusively black following does not make them per se Afrocentric. I see this fallacy as having crept into the comments already submitted.

The issue before us is rooted in the structure of Caribbean society ... Not in a failure of conscious thought. These youths pay lip service to symbols but are unable to place them in their proper context. See Asante's reference to symbols. That in the absence of his reference to "lexical refinement" is folly.

We have free public education that drags a small cross- section of us yearly across the finish line to a cardboard-surfaced lexical refinement. To really know thyself takes a cumulation of many factors. The marginalization of conscious movements made "knowing thyself" anti-establishment for really literate people. For a functionally literate youthman trying to trod through the proverbial Gideon, that is like being bashed against the rocks by several tides. Ironically, in many countries in Africa this problem exists as youth there look outside their cultural prisms for external sources to legitimize, explain and explain their reality (alienation etc.). One of their intellectual stops takes them on a romanticized trip of acquiring "Jamaican" symbols, yet these youths are functioning in a consciousness void also.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:44:06 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 05:28:59 AM »
Asylum jah gol have ah point, ah know yuh delving deep into the problem, and that's the best way tuh do it, but lord almighty it look like black ppl eh have no brain bc they does fall in every simple trap that the powers that be set for them!

i fedup with the excuses and ah fackin sick ah black ppl and their nonsense, true true! it seem to me things are getting worst with no end in sight. like jah said, ah lot of emphasis was placed on trivial things like names and appearance, but no effort was made to transform attitude and economic status.

i was very active in the struggle until i noticed that ppl was fronting! the sacrifices and effort ppl like stokley charmicheal, medga evers, malcolm x and dr king was making compared the so called black conscious of my day was a no contest. 

ppl did not volunteer their time or skills towards educating or helping the younger generation, but rather all was show!!

i used to see ppl dress up in ah whole heap of cloth, man walking with onk in their hand swinging, ppl have dread down to their ankles, man smelling sweet ah fragrant oils, but that was it, they wasn't out there reaching out to the yutes. imagine, not one african school in the hood or ah trade center with job placement.

it was all about appearance and semantics and no planning. jokey ting.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:31:57 AM by just cool »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 07:26:02 AM »
... decriminalizing ganja or legalizing ganja ... or forging different social policy could also have gone some distance to stem today's problems.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »
The pervasive culture is a product of a lack of consciousness, but it isn't caused by "consciousness". You all conflating too many things in this discussion.

Jah Gol, Jamaica is a society rooted in immense contradictions and distortions. It is not unfathomable that a nation could produce the liberating thought of Marley and give rise to passa passa in a subsequent iteration. Many Jamaicans can't distill Rastafarianism in a sensible or coherent 3 sentences, but Marley remained embraced even though there was an unwarrantedly lengthy discussion about whether he should enter the pantheon of national heroes (this of a man who arguably engaged in the most significant political iconography in post-independence Jamaica @ the Peace concert).

I take significant issue with your view. The movements served their purpose (to stimulate thought and muster personal dignity). As nascent nations, it is/was the function of governments "to focus energies on socio-economic strategies to transform individuals and families". What you're skimming over is that pre- and post-independence Caribbean governments viewed such expressions of self-assertion by ppl like Marley and Rodney as threatening, not valuable, sinister, etc. There was no incorporation of these streams of black social and political thought into formal structures so to blame them is flawed. These thought constructs ended up functioning on the margins of legitimacy and thereby were given space to be reinterpreted and redefined by people who were themselves at the margins of society, and arguably least equipped to project the most sensible of articulations. Our leadership abdicated its role of incorporating the "up up you mighty race". Decades after we've been responsible for marshaling our own education protocols, we still teach history in a way that doesn't educate youths about enslavement in a conscious and nurturing way.

At this stage in the exchange, I'm not going to address your reference to "adopting the best practices of other groups" because that is symptomatic of not understanding some of the fundamental, axiomatic things that distinguish the experience of black people in the New World. Those others didn't attain their alleged best-practices in a vaccum. I also don't see comparators as helpful because oftentimes these are rooted in stereotypes about Chinees, Indians, Syrians etc. without discounting or appreciating that post-enslavement generations of black people are daily engaged in mimicking and mimickry (itself a vestige of enslavement) others. When a significant portion of one's time is dedicated to consumption, a significant portion of one's time is unavailable for production.

I will say this: the Jamaicanization of Caribbean society is a major factor in the pathology you lament. This isn't to cast aspersions on Jamaican society. It is to point out that replicating elements of the Jamaican societal landscape elsewhere was to insert variables into wholly different societies. Societies that instinctively could relate to the idiom of music but that didn't filter the distinctions that would provoke the pathologies we now see.

What else? The Nation of Islam is not in my view a component of Afrocentricity. Neither are the 5 per centers or the Moorish Science people. Just because a group has a predominantly or even exclusively black following does not make them per se Afrocentric. I see this fallacy as having crept into the comments already submitted.

The issue before us is rooted in the structure of Caribbean society ... Not in a failure of conscious thought. These youths pay lip service to symbols but are unable to place them in their proper context. See Asante's reference to symbols. That in the absence of his reference to "lexical refinement" is folly.

We have free public education that drags a small cross- section of us yearly across the finish line to a cardboard-surfaced lexical refinement. To really know thyself takes a cumulation of many factors. The marginalization of conscious movements made "knowing thyself" anti-establishment for really literate people. For a functionally literate youthman trying to trod through the proverbial Gideon, that is like being bashed against the rocks by several tides. Ironically, in many countries in Africa this problem exists as youth there look outside their cultural prisms for external sources to legitimize, explain and explain their reality (alienation etc.). One of their intellectual stops takes them on a romanticized trip of acquiring "Jamaican" symbols, yet these youths are functioning in a consciousness void also.

Good analysis there Asylum.

Although, many of those organizations (NOI, 5%, etc) lack a viable political and economic action plan, they have pulled many of the youth off of the streets. I would rather have these guys selling books to the youth instead of crack or guns. The truth is that many of those guys involved with those organizations/movements were former gang members, drug dealers or just youth without hope. They really have no interest in pushing our black youth into an underclass.

Its interesting, cause Trinidad has produced many pan africanist giants. The only difference is that Jamaica has honoured their ones.. Some feel that Trinidads equivalent to Jamaica's Marcus Garvey is probably Stokely Carmichael/Kwame Toure. Garvey was made into a national hero. And if Stokely been a yardie.. I think the Jamaicans would have honoured Stokely in the same light as Garvey.. The average Jamaican has a sense of national Jamaican/African pride. The average Trinidadian on the other hand... hmm..  I will leave it at that before I offend anyone.

When you go to Jamaica (Not necessarily resort city), you get this sense of black/african Jamaican pride. Jamaica has renamed many of their towns after their cultural heroes. They have erected statues of their heroes etc.. Trinidad can do the same, but the reality is that it will offend some racial groups in Trinidad. Some racial groups might feel excluded and some might even call it racist.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:29:22 AM by gawd on pitch »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
Asylum jah gol have ah point, ah know yuh delving deep into the problem, and that's the best way tuh do it, but lord almighty it look like black ppl eh have no brain bc they does fall in every simple trap that the powers that be set for them!

i fedup with the excuses and ah fackin sick ah black ppl and their nonsense, true true! it seem to me things are getting worst with no end in sight. like jah said, ah lot of emphasis was placed on trivial things like names and appearance, but no effort was made to transform attitude and economic status.

i was very active in the struggle until i noticed that ppl was fronting! the sacrifices and effort ppl like stokley charmicheal, medga evers, malcolm x and dr king was making compared the so called black conscious of my day was a no contest. 

ppl did not volunteer their time or skills towards educating or helping the younger generation, but rather all was show!!

i used to see ppl dress up in ah whole heap of cloth, man walking with onk in their hand swinging, ppl have dread down to their ankles, man smelling sweet ah fragrant oils, but that was it, they wasn't out there reaching out to the yutes. imagine, not one african school in the hood or ah trade center with job placement.

it was all about appearance and semantics and no planning. jokey ting.

I doh want to be read as making an excuse fuh their conduct. Ah jes rendering explanations.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »
JC ... You know Barbados well. I surprised you surprised by this. From what I been reading of your comments over the years, you were an eyewitness to the transformation. Two things critically transformed Bim in the last 25 years: football and dancehall. Once ZRs with music and art were put on the road, it was the beginning.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 06:08:27 AM »
JC ... You know Barbados well. I surprised you surprised by this. From what I been reading of your comments over the years, you were an eyewitness to the transformation. Two things critically transformed Bim in the last 25 years: football and dancehall. Once ZRs with music and art were put on the road, it was the beginning.
Breds, i saw bim as a place to go after i left T&T to relax and not have to look over my shoulders. the place have some of the best beaches i've ever seen 2nd only to negril.

my ex took me there in 1990 after we spend carnival in trini, she said she landed in bim on her way to trini and was impressed with the coastline from in the air, so we went for a week and i fell in love with the place.

off course back then the place was still nice and the service was tip top. after we split up i still went back every time i touched trini.

i used to see the little bad boy vibes here and there but i never gave it much thought bc it wasn't in your face, but the last time i went there it was quite obvious that the place was gettin really out of hand.

them yutes is wannabes and they even acting tougher and ruder than the yutes in JA and trini, even though they are not even 1/8th as callous, but i will give them another decade to play catch up if the bajan govt don't act fast and nip this bullsh!t in the butt!

and that would be a crying shame if the didn't, bc bim is ah gem bro, if only the ppl were as nice as their predecessors that place would be a 5 star destination..

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:11:59 AM by just cool »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 01:18:34 PM »
No one is blaming afrocentrism, just our version of it. we gave our children the names but never bothered to educate them in the way of black culture.we also failed as parents when we try to be liberal and less strict than our forparents, we cussed, smoked and carry on in front of our kids and spaced on the discipline.

By that I mean the real condition of black people comparatively has worsened in spite of movements to improve consciousness, educate people about history and encourage black pride. It helped in some superficial ways like children's names and in the appreciation african physical aesthetics.  But consider Jamaica for instance ,the home Marcus Garvey and Bob Marley. Fast Foward to 2013 and biggest artist bleaches his skin and there's the passa passa phenomenon.

The movements did not focus enough of its energies on socio-economic strategies to transform individuals and families. I go back to my point about adopting the best-practices of other groups. The initial consciousness evolved into a variety of xenophobia (I'm probably using the wrong word) that treated those who did not adhere to a warped idea of blackness as pariahs. This along with a lack of accountability in my view led to social devolution which is connected to though not entirely the cause of the pervasive culture of violence JC introduced.

Just wanted to connect some dots from an article I read last week, in light of the comments in bold above and since part of the genesis for this thread rests in items from Barbados.

African roots
Fri, March 01, 2013 - 12:05 AM

http://www.nationnews.com/articles/view/african-roots/

Primary schoolchildren across the island are getting back to their African roots as part of the Ministry of Education’s African Awareness activities.

Bay Primary again had a particularly elaborate programme, thanks to senior teacher Jennifer Sealy, who is also the artistic director for Dancin’ Africa.

As such, the children not only dressed in traditional African gear but took part in a parade around the community, complete with shaggy bears, a Mother Sally, a stilt walker and a small green monkey, portrayed by four-year-old Phoebe Gittens. In addition, the group made stops at the Geriatric Hospital, the Joan Arundell Day Nursery and two elderly members of the community to distribute gifts.

As happened last year, rain delayed the parade but could not stop it as the festivities got under way as soon as the showers abated.

Sealy said this was the fourth year the school celebrated its African Awareness Day on such a grand scale.

“I am extremely happy to see parents who have gone beyond the call of duty to dress their children in African gear and to make them aware of their African descent,” she said.

Sealy said the programme also included storytelling, stick licking, warri, exhibits and African-themed foods.

Principal Marielon Gamble said the African-themed activities, which the children participated in for the past two weeks, would help them when they moved onto secondary school and study history in greater detail. (CA)

Building self-esteem
December 13, 2012.
http://www.barbadostoday.bb/2012/12/13/building-self-esteem/

At least 30 more teachers are to be recruited into a self-esteem building programme in schools in Barbados by March next year.

Under the Mabalozi Programme, teachers are trained to be ambassadors for the Commission for Pan African Affairs, in its quest to build self-esteem in young people of African heritage.

Director of the commission, Dr. Deryck Murray(*see below) told Barbados TODAY that 45 teachers were already trained.

“We are at the stage where we are now preparing the printed material so that everybody understands the programme and the guidelines to running the programme,” said Murray.

“The commission is setting aside a certain amount of funds, to fund programmes in the schools, that are requested by each teacher who is a part of the programme.”

He dislcosed that additional literature was also being sourced because the teachers need to be replenished with material.

The Pan African Commission leader also noted that his agency was at the same time working with the principals and the ministry of education (sic) so that everybody was on the same page to continue to push the programme.

“The lack of self-esteem among black people was one of the concerns of the commission and we need to build self esteem from as young as two years old,” insisted Murray.

Crux of the matter

“So we see this as a problem that affects everything from our abilities to be inventive, to be original, to have self-respect, to have respect for others, for social cohesion to fight violence among youth. We see it as the crux to a myriad of problems that we are encountering.”

He suggested that this was why the commission was putting so many resources into the Mabalozi Programme.

“The real heart of the programme, though, is to get teachers to build sensitivity and awareness,” submitted the Pan Africanist.

He said (he) believed it is important for the teachers to have that awareness of the things that would “kill the self esteem of young black children”, and once they are aware they can avoid many negative perceptions such as having a big nose, “picky hair” or being “too black” (EJ)

My addition: *Murray is a lecturer at the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus, with research interests in the history, sociology, anthropology and philosophy of ways of knowing or the sciences.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:29:57 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »
Pan-African Affairs Commission to get wider mandate
http://www.barbadosadvocate.com/newsitem.asp?more=local&NewsID=22167
1/16/2012

Minister of Family, Culture, Sports and Youth Stephen Lashley, says The Commission of Pan-African Affairs will be issued with a greater role, that of aiding in projects to uplift the spiritual, emotional and economic well-being of the young people of Barbados.

The Culture Minister shared these views as he spoke recently in the West Wing Gallery located in the Parliament Buildings, for the official opening of an event being hosted by The Commission for Pan-African Affairs entitled, “Living Downstairs”: An Art Exhibition and Panel Discussion on the Paintings, Installations and Constructed Sculptures of Barbadian Domestics, King Dyal and Jackie Opel by David “GURU” McClean. Whilst commending the Commission for the work it has been doing in Barbados, he remarked that much more must be done so as to embrace a wider vision, with a view to empowering Barbadian communities.

He also noted that the Commission, which falls under his mandate, will assist with a number of projects to assist young people in Barbados, and included in these will be a project which focuses on job creation.

“Very shortly we will be unfolding in Barbados some projects which will have the effect of widening the mandate of the Commission for Pan-African Affairs, because, it is certainly my view as minister with responsibility for the Commission, that the true vision for the Commission must be felt in the villages and communities of Barbados” Lashley said.

“The mission of the Commission is one that will become much more inclusive of the wider Barbadian community” Lashley said.

Given that The Commission for Pan-African Affairs, has been mandated by the Government of Barbados to address and rectify that deficiency in Barbadian institutions and national life, which is manifested in the relative dearth of relationships, exchanges and interactions with the nations, population groups and institutions of the continent of Africa and the world-wide African Diaspora.

Minister Lashley highlighted the need to have direct linkages to the people of Africa as well for greater collaboration and opportunities.

“We are still very interested in ensuring that we cultivate meaningful relationships with the African continent and one of the things that we are focused on achieving, is the area of direct air linkages between Barbados and the African continent. I believe that this is extremely important to ensure that the reality of the connectivity between these two lands is not in any way affected negatively because of lack of awareness” he said.

Highlighting possible avenues for meaningful co-operation such as in the areas of industrialisation and scientific exploration, he noted that there are opportunities for sharing aspects of our culture with those in the African continent, while embracing theirs. There are also opportunities for global trade, he said.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 12:17:44 PM »

... decriminalizing ganja or legalizing ganja ... or forging different social policy could also have gone some distance to stem today's problems.

Ganja block – judge calls for review of laws
Carlos Atwell | Thu, March 14, 2013

Attorney General and Minister of Home Affairs Adriel Brathwaite admitted yesterday to having had doubts about whether Barbados was winning the drug war.

He was speaking at the opening of a National Consultation on the Anti-Drug Plan that later heard a High Court judge recommending the legalising of certain drugs for personal use.

Brathwaite lamented what he said was the widescale use of marijuana.

“Now it is not just the boys on the block [smoking marijuana] but the girls on the block too. If you go to football games across Barbados, it is almost the norm. There was a time when the boys used to hide but now boys and girls openly smoking.

“There was a time I thought we were losing this fight when I used to see marijuana being used openly in communities but I am not sure how I feel about it this morning,” he said.

http://www.nationnews.com/articles/view/ganja-block-judge-calls-for-review-of-laws/

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 02:42:51 PM »

Its interesting, cause Trinidad has produced many pan africanist giants. The only difference is that Jamaica has honoured their ones.. Some feel that Trinidads equivalent to Jamaica's Marcus Garvey is probably Stokely Carmichael/Kwame Toure. Garvey was made into a national hero. And if Stokely been a yardie.. I think the Jamaicans would have honoured Stokely in the same light as Garvey.. The average Jamaican has a sense of national Jamaican/African pride. The average Trinidadian on the other hand... hmm..  I will leave it at that before I offend anyone.

There's a new book out (published March 4, 2014) ... it's called Stokely: A Life.

And, there's an engaging televised discussion about Kwame (from yesterday) available here.

Guidance!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 02:53:56 PM »

There's a new book out (published March 4, 2014) ... it's called Stokely: A Life.

And, there's an engaging televised discussion about Kwame (from yesterday) available here.

Guidance!
Nice thanks for the link!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 09:02:44 PM »

Guidance!
Nice thanks for the link!  :beermug:

no one ever honoured henry sylvester williams who created the first pan african conference in 1901 and toured the region educating the diaspora.. marcus modelled most of his ideas on Williams a Trinidadian.. some argue the father of pan africanism... trinidadians are terrible when it comes to recognizing their own...

1]; } ?>