April 25, 2024, 04:15:57 PM

Author Topic: Medical Staff at Pro League Clubs  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Medical Staff at Pro League Clubs
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »
just thinking with the situation in the UK with Fabrice Muamba...

what level of medical staff do the local clubs have on the bench ???

I know you have to have an ambulance at the games ...do they ALWAYS have one ??

what about school football level ??

I know they should have a police presence at schools football..cause thats the most volatile..and i say that all the time...hope one day we dont regret

FS...shed some light on the NES medical set up
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Staff at Pro League Clubs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Last year i proposed a medical emergency plan to the pro league and the clubs.....bearing in mind incidents with Anthony Noriega, Marvin Lee, Kevon Carter, even Petr Cech, Drogba etc.....only two clubs signed on. The others said they couldn't afford it (cost was less than $100 per mth per player/staff).

Seeing what happened to Muamba saddens me as he was young, healthy and fit....we just never know what is happening inside our bodies. What if this happened to a local player in our pro league? I doubt Kamla would authorise $600k to fly them out.......

Anyway...waiting on FS response.....and if you or anybody is interested in what I can offer, PM me.

Like Big mag said...hope one day we dont regret......

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »
Big Mag, although there is supposed to be paramedics at all ProLeague games, I have seen games with none attending.

I am also fairly sure that the clubs own physios are not specifically trained in life saving techniques or treatment of major trauma. There certainly should be a club doctor in attendance.

Diamond...in my view, clubs don't really concern themselves enough with player welfare. This is where FPATT should be in place to insist on basic healthcare provision. However, also in my opinion, the players don't care either. At todays Football Consultation, I pointed out that not one single player was present at a symposium concerning the future of football! This is their industry, their futures, yet no one could be bothered! I talked about the Muamba incident and then about the response of both sets of supporters and Gary Cahills gesture the next day when he scored for Chelsea. I then stated thyat not one player, or club, responded to my letter requesting a collection from players to support Jan Michael Williams partner.

Until players take an interest in their own careers, no one else will be bothered. 

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »
My information is that W Connection has a medical doctor present at their games. He doesn't sit on the bench but is in the Stands in the event he is needed.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:05:17 AM »
thanks for the info

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »
Well, if teams cannot afford medical service, why not keep medical stuff locked up in the Stadiums including an oxygen tank in-case of emergency. ?

And teams should be required to have a medical doctor present at their games or, if they cant afford it then train someone of their staff to do the work, it will surely help and buy an injured player time until a professional arrives or until he gets to the hospital.

There are ways to improve on things, but no one takes the time to help/listen and there are no cooperation. Even the players themselves dont seems like they dont really care....

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 12:49:42 PM »
Last year i proposed a medical emergency plan to the pro league and the clubs.....bearing in mind incidents with Anthony Noriega, Marvin Lee, Kevon Carter, even Petr Cech, Drogba etc.....only two clubs signed on. The others said they couldn't afford it (cost was less than $100 per mth per player/staff).

Seeing what happened to Muamba saddens me as he was young, healthy and fit....we just never know what is happening inside our bodies. What if this happened to a local player in our pro league? I doubt Kamla would authorise $600k to fly them out.......

Anyway...waiting on FS response.....and if you or anybody is interested in what I can offer, PM me.

Like Big mag said...hope one day we dont regret......
Big Mag, although there is supposed to be paramedics at all ProLeague games, I have seen games with none attending.

I am also fairly sure that the clubs own physios are not specifically trained in life saving techniques or treatment of major trauma. There certainly should be a club doctor in attendance.

Diamond...in my view, clubs don't really concern themselves enough with player welfare. This is where FPATT should be in place to insist on basic healthcare provision. However, also in my opinion, the players don't care either. At todays Football Consultation, I pointed out that not one single player was present at a symposium concerning the future of football! This is their industry, their futures, yet no one could be bothered! I talked about the Muamba incident and then about the response of both sets of supporters and Gary Cahills gesture the next day when he scored for Chelsea. I then stated thyat not one player, or club, responded to my letter requesting a collection from players to support Jan Michael Williams partner.

Until players take an interest in their own careers, no one else will be bothered. 
Breds, i don't like to come across all the time like i real hate my ppl or country, but when i hear these things after yrs and yrs of the same ppl being in the drivers seat, i does have tuh truly wonder where these ppl's head @, and why should i have any respect for them, matter of fact, why should anyone have any respect for them?

bro, i honestly hope you could get through to these folks, though i doubt it, bc i know for ah fact that trinis for the most part don't give ah shit about their condition, and they not interested in doing anything to raise their standards.  good luck with that mentality bro.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »
My information is that W Connection has a medical doctor present at their games. He doesn't sit on the bench but is in the Stands in the event he is needed.

Thats the usual procedure in the U.K. Basically the Doc gets to watch every home game for free, and very, very rarely is called upon to act. I'm not even sure if they get paid very much at most clubs. Its good for their c.v and has prestige attached. I'm not sure the same could be said in the ProLeague!

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 05:08:03 PM »
Every stadium should have a defibrillator n oxygen tank readily available at EVERY official game in those stadiums. And by readily available i dont mean leaving it in the equipment room. should be easily accessible n not have to go thru drama just to get it.

this should be the case at all malls as well...jus remembered seeing sthg on the news in the US a time of someone having a heart attack and if it wasnt for the mall having a few defibrillators sprinkled throughout the mall, they were able to save his life

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 02:07:39 AM »
Skeene: Pro League emergency ready.
T&T Newsday Reports.

Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Digicel Pro League, Dexter Skeene, believes that adequate systems and protocols are in place at local games should circumstances befall players on the football field in similar fashion to Bolton Wanderers’ Fabrice Muamba who suffered a cardiac arrest last weekend while playing an FA Cup game.

Muamba was treated by medical personnel who utilised a defibrillator to restart his heart on the pitch, as well as en route to hospital.

The medical staff at the game has come in for praise for their handling of the situation with the midfielder currently recuperating in hospital.

Concerns have been raised, however, as to the standard of such medical procedures and contingency plans in Trinidad and Tobago football.

“Each team is supposed to have their medical team assigned and designated by their club. What personnel is on the team, whether cardiologist or whatever, I assume is up to the mandate of the club itself as they are charged with looking out for their players’ health,” commented Skeene.

He noted that ambulances are always present for the games and the home team is responsible for ensuring this system never wavers.

When asked what equipment would be contained in the ambulance, the Pro League boss expressed some uncertainty but alluded - “The medical personnel would be tasked with ensuring the safety of footballers should unfortunate events happen and there are stretchers on board.

I assume they would have the relevant equipment to handle the situation delicately, rapidly yet responsibly. I cannot say for certain in what the paramedics possess but I have faith that the medical personnel are all readily prepared”

The presence of defibrillators and oxygen masks were not confirmed as readily available at the games. Skeene did not confirm if the current system in place was set by the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs.

Meanwhile, Dexter Skeene is expecting the best of the national players at the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifiers in the United States.

The Trinidad and Tobago Under-23 squad, under the tutelage of Angus Eve, will commence their Group “B” campaign against Mexico today, at the Home Depot Center, Carson, California.

“It’s a difficult game as any international game,” said Skeene yesterday. “Mexico, I think, are the number one ranked team in the region. We have nothing to lose. I would encourage the players to give off their best and that’s the most we can ask for.”

On Sunday, the TT Under-23 outfit will face Panama while, on Tuesday, they will meet Honduras.

The top two teams of the group will advance to the semi-final round, with the finalists advancing to the 2012 London Olympics. Skeene also expects the national players to use this tournament to continue their growth as the next breed of TT ‘senior’ players.

“I think the exposure the Under-23 team has gotten is necessary for the development of the young players,” said Skeene.

“We, at the Pro League, believe in the young talent that we have and that they’re competitive at the national level. It’s just a matter for them to continually play against (those teams) to get the exposure at the international level. We’re doing something right to enable them to perform,” he added.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 03:59:29 AM »
FS, is what Skeene saying here the truth ?

He said that ambulances are always present for the games and the home team is responsible for ensuring this system never wavers !!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 07:44:23 PM »
FS, is what Skeene saying here the truth ?

He said that ambulances are always present for the games and the home team is responsible for ensuring this system never wavers !!

“Each team is supposed to have their medical team assigned and designated by their club. What personnel is on the team, whether cardiologist or whatever, I assume is up to the mandate of the club itself as they are charged with looking out for their players’ health,” commented Skeene.

He noted that ambulances are always present for the games and the home team is responsible for ensuring this system never wavers.

When asked what equipment would be contained in the ambulance, the Pro League boss expressed some uncertainty but alluded - “The medical personnel would be tasked with ensuring the safety of footballers should unfortunate events happen and there are stretchers on board.

I assume they would have the relevant equipment to handle the situation delicately, rapidly yet responsibly. I cannot say for certain in what the paramedics possess but I have faith that the medical personnel are all readily prepared”

Errol, the above italics are mine. Mr Skeene has placed responsibility firmly on the clubs, and this may be the correct attitude as the players are employees of the club and therefore their responsibility. However, these serveces should be, in my opinion, the responsibility of the ProLeague. My reasoning is this:
1) If a club is strapped for cash, maybe they will cut corners. Its not fair to the visiting team, or supporters, if this occurs. The ProLeague are the organises and promoters of the game, they select the time and venue. Therefore, if an opposing player or a supporter dies through lack of medical provision, I would assume the family would sue the ProLeague...Bakes?
2) Games are sometimes re located at a days notice (I have attended a game at Marvin Lee which was switched from Manny Ramjohn. Both teams arrived but the match officials were in South!) Its not fair to clubs to reorganise medical staff and check stadium equipment at short notice. I feel that the ProLeague should organise umbrella medical cover at the expense of the clubs.

I have certainly seen ambulances arrive late, and I'm sure I remember a game without paramedics. I have also seen games with just two officials, and more with three officials. I don't believe representatives of ProLeague attend any game, so how would they know?

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 09:20:11 PM »
So wait, not even Skeene himself goes to games?

Top reply FS.

Skeene wants support and he himself doesnt go to game.

That shows how committed he really is.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 12:21:08 AM »
Right now i sure bigmag might need ah medical staff.                      :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 08:20:24 AM »
hahhaha...yea boy JC.. but i need more of a dissapointment doctor

but ah still waiting for your answer...'what was you vibes ?/"

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 03:31:08 PM »

Top reply FS.

To be fair, I think Dexter attends games every week, but he can't be at every game...especially when games are played simultaneously at two or even three venues.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »

Top reply FS.

To be fair, I think Dexter attends games every week, but he can't be at every game...especially when games are played simultaneously at two or even three venues.
       Alyu good yes,ah man ask a question answer it and don't have facts,anything to discredit people.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 01:54:18 AM »
Skeene unsure of medical equipment at games
By STEPHON NICHOLAS (Newsday).

DEXTER Skeene, CEO of the Digicel Pro League, says he is unsure of whether the mandatory ambulances at league games have the necessary equipment to deal with players suffering cardiac arrests during games.

Although quite rare, there have been instances around the world where players have collapsed on the field as a result of a heart attack.

The most notable case was last year when Fabrice Muamba of Bolton Wanderers had a cardiac arrest during a FA Cup game against Tottenham Hotspur in England. A cardiologist in the stands watching the game came to Muamba’s assistance while official medical personnel at the game treated him.

The Democratic Republic of Congo player did not have a heartbeat for 78 minutes but after numerous defribillator shocks his heart began beating again and he survived.

Skeene spoke to Newsday yesterday amid the heartbreaking news on Wednesday that 22-year-old TT player Akeem Adams suffered a heart attack. “We have ambulances available at each game. I can’t say offhand whether they have (defribillators) but it’s something I have to find out,” he said.

Skeene revealed that it is the responsibility of home teams to organise the medical personnel for each game hosted and they are fined if they fail to do so.

Asked whether Pro League games will kick-off if for whatever reason ambulances are not present, Skeen said no.

But speaking to Stuart Charles-Fevrier, longstanding coach of W Connection, revealed that although seldom, there have been instances where games have proceeded without ambulances present.

In a short interview with Newsday yesterday, Dr Don Antonio Martin of the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, revealed that cardiac arrests in athletes can be as a result of several factors including abnormal heart rhythms, structural heart abnormalities and usage of supplements and drugs.

Quizzed whether there is any drug testing done by the Pro League, Skeene said, “No, there is none. It’s something that has been discussed.

It’s something the board has talked about but resources to do it have been a problem. It is important but the resources to do it aren’t available.

Commenting on the issue, Charles-Fevrier revealed that his club carries out their own testing and do not condone the usage of any performance enhancers or illegal drugs. He believes, however, that drug testing should be mandated by the league and be compulsory.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 06:18:25 AM »
I am positive that the ambulances that attend have defibs. You have to trust that the para medics are competent. Ideally, there should be a club doctor present as well, but I'm not aware of any.
The medical service provided may not be ideal, but I'm certain that all though it could be improved, it's far in advance of intercol, minor league, fete matches and maybe SuperLeague.

But it is another area in which we need to improve.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 10:55:47 AM »
This man doesn't even know about emergency procedures in place for a league that he is the chief executive.  That is a damn shame.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 12:44:20 PM »
what the heck ! Dexter skeene as ceo of the  tt pro league  your responses are truly alarming ,  regarding the presence of ambulance / medical personnel  at pro league  games .......... for goodness sake :o

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 07:56:40 PM »
Akeem Adams suffered a heart attack in his home though so if this happened here I don't think ambulances or defibrillators at the sporting venue would have helped him. Does our emergency system here respond quickly enough and provide sufficient medical care to keep someone in his situation alive until a doctor can take over? I doubt it.

I don't see how Skeene is supposed to know what equipment an ambulance has and I'm not sure why he has to. What is alarming about him saying it? Can anyone else on this board say for certainty whether or not there is a defibrillator on most local ambulances? He knows the ambulances are supposed to be dispatched at the venue, he stated the league policy on providing medical professionals and he also stated the penalty for not complying. What allyuh want the man to do again?

I think there is a systematic / cultural problem as it pertains to emergency medical response in this country. Making Skeene a scapegoat will not change that. Someone made the point about defibrillators and oxygen being made available not only at stadia across the country, but in malls too. What about in schools, ministry buildings and other public buildings? It needs to improve.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 01:50:36 AM »
It is the easy option to blame Dexter Skeene for every issue with the Pro League. Yes, the league should ensure that their guidelines are followed, but the clubs have the ultimate responsibility for their players, staff and supporters.

Because of when the Pro League began, professional football in T&T is way behind other countries, sdome of whom have had professional leagues for 100 years or more.

When you look at the conditions of professional clubs stadiums and facilities in Europe in the 70's and even 80's, we're further along. Again, without corporate, govt and fans support, changes will take longer to implement.

It's important that these issues are raised and addressed, but blaming Skeene is not always fair.   

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 07:16:09 AM »
Yes the ambulances that respond when you dial 811 locally have defibrillators.

They just have different challenges....far more than people realize.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>