April 25, 2024, 08:46:42 PM

Author Topic: Canadian traveller warns: Stay away from Tobago  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Canadian traveller warns: Stay away from Tobago
« on: March 15, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
Canadian traveller warns: Stay away from Tobago
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2013-03-15/canadian-traveller-warns-stay-away-tobago

A Canadian businessman and traveller who fled Tobago last year has created a Web site warning foreigners to stay away from the island. In an article in the Canadian daily newspaper, Metro, 61-year-old Phil Noonan claimed in March 2012 he was attacked by two Tobagonians while staying at a guest house in Buccoo, Tobago.

He said it occurred after he intervened in a fight between a young Tobagonian man and the owner of a restaurant and bar which he often visited.  Later that day, Noonan told the paper, the young man and his brother appeared outside his door shouting angrily and threatening to kill him. Three weeks after the incident, Noonan said, he fled the island in fear and frustration.

Since then, he has created a Web site —tntwarning.com—which outlines his many negative experiences on the island and warns tourists about the dangers there. Among issues he outlined were violent crime, poor customer service, high levels of government corruption and inefficiency and indifference among the police.

The Web site also displays past travel advisories from the US State Department and the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office, warning of high levels of violent crime in T&T. Yesterday the T&T Guardian spoke to an official from the Division of Tourism and Transportation of the Tobago House of Assembly (THA), who said the division had never received a report on the alleged incident involving Noonan and was following it up.

In a telephone interview yesterday, Tourism Minister Stephen Cadiz said he was aware of some “worrying incidents” that have taken place in Tobago involving tourists and was working with the Ministry of National Security and the THA to ensure any attacks on tourists were addressed seriously. He described such incidents as “very unfortunate” but said they were rare. He added: “We want to ensure that incidents like that are few and far between, if at all. We also want to ensure that if they do happen, it is handled in a way so that the victim does not feel left alone.”

Earlier this week the Huffington Post’s Web site published a list of the ten least tourist-friendly nations in the world.  T&T ranked eighth on the list, which included countries such as Sierra Leone, Pakistan and Haiti. The Post described T&T’s presence on the list as “slightly baffling, considering the locals are very friendly.” It added infrastructure in T&T needed improvement. Asked about his thoughts on that, Cadiz agreed that T&T’s presence on the list was surprising since locals were welcoming and friendly.

He added: “One has to be very careful about these indices that are printed because very often they are more of a perception than a reality.” However, he said, he would not disregard issues of negative perception of the island and his ministry was embarking on a national campaign to deal with the issue. In addition, he said, he would soon sign a memorandum of understanding with the Ministry of Tertiary Education to establish a development programme involving tourism stakeholders.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian traveller warns: Stay away from Tobago
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:55:54 AM »
Yuh cyah even be vex, b/c is not like he lying.

http://tntwarning.com/index.html
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »
Backwards ever, forward never

Didn't want Calcutta, now they get nothing....
whey boy!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:39:55 PM »

I'm tempted to call you an ignorant c**t... but I will leave that up to the Tobagonians.

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 01:47:28 PM »

wha shit is this????

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »
f**k PHIL NOONAN  :cursing:
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 06:43:31 PM »

I'm tempted to call you an ignorant c**t... but I will leave that up to the Tobagonians.

diaz wah those of his ilk(unc apologists) holding on to, to deflect from d piss poor governance of dey party...doh study it
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 07:14:07 PM »

On a somewhat related note, somebody forgot to tell the folks who were supposed to be upset with the Calcutta statement that Tobago is to get nutten.  The ones who were supposed to boycott Tobago.  Like dey eh get the memo.  The fast ferries does be full every weekend.....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:17:42 PM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:13:50 PM »
The most offensive part of the comment is the implication that Tobagonians, in voting for the PNM were affirming Sandy's offensive statements... as though the performance (and arrogance) of the PP/TOP had nothing to do with that.  I guess things look different from yuh refugee perch up in Canaydah.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 06:05:36 AM »
The most offensive part of the comment is the implication that Tobagonians, in voting for the PNM were affirming Sandy's offensive statements... as though the performance (and arrogance) of the PP/TOP had nothing to do with that.  I guess things look different from yuh refugee perch up in Canaydah.

if yuh doh want to live in d shit yuh doh like indian................is as if unc supporters win dat election by deyself, d narrow minded stupidity is what  does get me with dis one and dat nex confuse "jamaican" jack ass
I pity the fool....

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 06:42:48 AM »
Get your pitchforks here ,sale sale sale ,torches ,nooses sale .3 for 15 .
Supplying mobs for 100 years

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »
Get your pitchforks here ,sale sale sale ,torches ,nooses sale .3 for 15 .
Supplying mobs for 100 years

is start d shit wit he nonsense go fly ah kite some way nah
I pity the fool....

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 10:28:59 AM »
fly kite keep me outta yah slackness eh  ;Dn .but yeah yah think he get the point yet.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
fly kite keep me outta yah slackness eh  ;Dn .but yeah yah think he get the point yet.

no he doesn't....is not d first time, he bring up dat nonsensical view......we doh want a "african gov't" or "doh want" ah indian gov't ...........we just want ah good gov't...an dem not dat.....f**kin investors pullin out left, right and center............what business opportunity d SOE eh kill, dem finishin of wit d nonsense dey doing......and rather than hunker dong and get to work, all d f**kers doing is stripping d carcass of what left :cursing:
I pity the fool....

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 10:56:31 AM »
carry forth

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »
where is my post about the race war in T&T again?

Allyuh play de arse,,violence is ONLY the second step.,

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »
Lynch him and be done with it!
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 11:16:56 AM »
mind yuh business.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »
Rightly or wrongly, when it comes to safety issues perception has a mighty influence. Tobago is already struggling for Tourist revenues and this will not help the situation. Sun & sand are in abundance all over the globe & competition for tourist dollars is fierce, we need to get a grip on the situation.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
Rightly or wrongly, when it comes to safety issues perception has a mighty influence. Tobago is already struggling for Tourist revenues and this will not help the situation. Sun & sand are in abundance all over the globe & competition for tourist dollars is fierce, we need to get a grip on the situation.

Sense
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>