April 28, 2024, 02:24:13 AM

Author Topic: Ross Russell Jr. and Balondemu Julius charged with murder  (Read 5613 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ross Russell Jr. and Balondemu Julius charged with murder
« on: June 21, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »
Russell Jr and Balondemu charged for murder; Defence Force star discharged
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

Promising 23-year-old Pro League football star, Ross Russell Jr, is among two recently discharged soldiers who appeared before Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar in the Port of Spain court this morning for the murder of Diego Martin resident Selwyn Gaff.

Russell Jr, who has two children, was charged alongside his cousin and former Defence Force teammate Balondemu Julius, who is 34.

Gaff, 28, died from a gunshot wound on 6 June 2016 after being found in the Macqueripe forest, barely alive, by police. He was allegedly shot in the abdomen on the previous day and left for dead.

Julius and Russell Jr were detained at Teteron Headquarters, soon after Gaff’s death, while investigations were conducted. Both men were subsequently discharged from the army and handed over to the police last week.

Julius and Russell Jr were charged over the weekend with four criminal offences including Gaff’s murder, possession of arms and ammunition and shooting at Jesse Quashie with intent to do grievous bodily harm.

Russell Jr did provide an alibi to the police which claimed that he was elsewhere at the time of the murder. The alibi, according to a well-placed source, was a witness statement by a third Defence Force player, who has made over 30 international appearances for the Trinidad and Tobago National Senior Team.

Russell Jr’s arrest has shocked teammates and the local football community. He is considered a likeable player who rarely ever found himself in trouble with match referees or spats with opposing players.

However, he is believed to have been monitored by Defence Force officials after being spotted on more than one occasion in the company of a relative suspected of criminal behaviour.

He is the son of former Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Ross Russell and teamed up with his dad when Defence Force won its last Pro League title in the 2012/13 season.

Russell was coach of the “Teteron Boys” at the time while his son featured predominantly at left back.

A tall, quick and versatile flanker, Russell Jr enjoyed his most prolific spell in the local top flight in the 2015/16 Pro League season, as he scored nine goals—including game winners against W Connection and San Juan Jabloteh—and helped the Army/Coast Guard unit to third place.

Defence Force and Russell Jr ended season on a high note as they edged Connection 2-1 on Friday 27 May 2016 to clinch the Digicel Pro Bowl title

The senior Russell, who was distraught when he spoke to Wired868 on the weekend, heads the technical staff of the Japs North East Stars Pro League team and is also a former Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Senior Team and Men’s Under-17 head coach.

Julius, a speedy, aggressive forward, last represented Defence Force in the 2013/14 season.

Julius and Russell Jr will next appear in court on 5 July 2016.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:01:45 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Ross Russell Jr. and Balondemu Julius charged with murder
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 05:44:24 PM »
WTF???  :o
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 06:23:24 PM »
 ???

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 08:10:52 PM »
This is sad

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 08:11:16 PM »
Thoughts go out to Ross Russell, the pops. Hold it down.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 11:58:12 AM »
I don't understand, why is he/they being charged by the police and not the defence force. Why aren't military charges being brought against them?

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 12:13:15 PM »
I don't understand, why is he/they being charged by the police and not the defence force. Why aren't military charges being brought against them?

I think if the person they kill was in the DF then it would be a military thing all through.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 01:10:25 PM »
I was under the assumption that military law take precedence over soldiers even when violating civilian law.You'd think that the military would conduct its own investigation and at least have a report as to why they are being discharged. So if they are found not guilty can they sue the Army for wrongful dismissal?

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »
I was under the assumption that military law take precedence over soldiers even when violating civilian law.You'd think that the military would conduct its own investigation and at least have a report as to why they are being discharged. So if they are found not guilty can they sue the Army for wrongful dismissal?

I hope so lol.  This is Trinidad we talkin bout doh eh.  I never been in no military so I doh even know if dat whole doing their own investigations and tribunal is de standard worldwide or just TV ting.  TV does put rell jackass suggestions in we head sometimes so I doh be too quick to wonder bout dem ting.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 03:50:24 PM »
As a footballer he took the word "shoot" to another level.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »

.....................Julius and Russell Jr were detained at Teteron Headquarters, soon after Gaff’s death, while investigations were conducted. Both men were subsequently discharged from the army and handed over to the police last week.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 06:33:28 PM »

Accused: Julius “Demo” Balondemu and Ross Russell hide their faces as they leave the Port of Spain Magistrate’s Court, yesterday.
—Photo: KERWIN PIERRE

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 09:21:40 AM »
SAD for all involved.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 10:36:04 AM »
Sad fuh the victims (include parents and family of the accused as well). If found guilty.. roast dem! They swore to protect the people of the republic.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 11:26:17 AM »
Sad fuh the victims (include parents and family of the accused as well). If found guilty.. roast dem! They swore to protect the people of the republic.

The victims of crime also include the perpetrators' family.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 02:48:33 PM »
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 07:28:43 AM »
What a f00cking dunce.

Russell Jr just waste he talent and bring shame to he fadda.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 07:53:12 AM »

comprehend much?

SAD for the victims  (Include the parents and family of the accused as well).

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:55:16 AM by Jumbie »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 08:00:10 AM »
What a f00cking dunce.

Breds, I eh want to say anything because I have a son around his age. He just finished at Howard last December. But I tell you, some times when I get phone calls from him, especially at night, my heart does skip a beat. He not into anything as far as I know. But is a father's thing, I guess.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 08:52:09 AM »
What a f00cking dunce.

Breds, I eh want to say anything because I have a son around his age. He just finished at Howard last December. But I tell you, some times when I get phone calls from him, especially at night, my heart does skip a beat. He not into anything as far as I know. But is a father's thing, I guess.

ENT

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 08:53:55 AM »

comprehend much?

NO I don't comprehend much but I stated because people often neglect the perpetrators family if it is OK with you.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 09:05:40 AM »

comprehend much?

NO I don't comprehend much but I stated because people often neglect the perpetrators family if it is OK with you.

you cud never ride ah stationary bike

btw if I read your response out of context, my sincere apologies.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:30:25 AM by Jumbie »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 08:44:51 PM »

.....................Julius and Russell Jr were detained at Teteron Headquarters, soon after Gaff’s death, while investigations were conducted. Both men were subsequently discharged from the army and handed over to the police last week.

Apparently there is a bit of a "cleanup" taking place in the army. Trying to clear out some "bad weeds" who are giving the army a bad name. Apparently Russell and "Demo" have been on the watch list. As was hinted at in the article Russell was not believed to be directly involved in anything at the time but was hanging with the wrong people.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 08:49:13 PM »
What a f00cking dunce.

Am hearing that Russell Jr is probably innocent and has a pretty good alibi backed up by solid evidence. For his, and his family's sake I hope this is true and he's able to get out of this.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Former soldier, Pro League footballer freed of murder
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 06:53:55 AM »
Former soldier, Pro League footballer freed of murder
By Jada Loutoo (T&T Newsday)

FORMER soldier and promising Pro League footballer Ross Russell Jr was freed of murder yesterday after spending two years in prison.

Russell was discharged by acting deputy Chief Magistrate Nanette Forde-John after the Director of Public Prosecutions issued a notice of discontinuance of the charge.

The notice was issued after a no-case submission was advanced by Russell’s attorney Criston J Williams. He submitted that despite his client having seven alibi witnesses, the police failed to investigate, and still charged his client with murder. The lawyer argued there was insufficient evidence to support the prosecution’s case.

Russell was before the court along with Balondemu Julius, also a former soldier, for the June 5, 2016 murder of Selwyn Gaff in Chaguaramas.

Julius will return to court on September 7, when the magistrate will rule on his no-case submission.

According to reports, on the day of his murder Gaff and another man accompanied three men to hike from Diego Martin to Chaguaramas.

Russell Jr, the son of former national footballer Ross Russell Sr, and Julius were detained by the Defence Force and were handed over to homicide detectives after they were discharged from the army in June 2016.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
State discontinues murder charge against ex-soldier
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2018, 06:57:02 AM »
State discontinues murder charge against ex-soldier
By Derek Achong (T&T Guardian)

After spending a little over two years on remand, a former Defence Force soldier was yesterday freed of murdering a Diego Martin man, who was shot and left for dead in a forested area of Chaguaramas.

Ross Russell Jr, 25, was discharged by Deputy Chief Magistrate Nanette Forde-John in the Port-of-Spain Magistrate’s Court yesterday, after the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) filed a notice of discontinuance against him.

The DPP’s Office took the decision after Russell’s attorney Criston J Williams filed a no case submission, in which he questioned whether the State had sufficient evidence linking his client to the murder of Selwyn Gaff, who was killed on June 5, 2016.

Russell’s 36-year-old cousin, Balondemu Julius, who was also a soldier and was jointly charged with the crime, was not as lucky.

Forde-John is expected to rule on legal submissions relating to the case against Julius on September 7.

According to reports, on the day of his murder, Gaff and his friend, Jesse Quashie, accompanied three men on a hike from Diego Martin to Chaguaramas.

The friends were reportedly ambushed by the three men while walking through a trail between Covigne and Macqueripe.

Quashie was shot but managed to run away and reported the incident to police.

He directed police to the location, but by the time Gaff was taken to St James Medical Complex, he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Russell and Quashie were charged after being discharged by the Defence Force.

They were also slapped with additional charges for possession of illegal firearms and ammunition and for shooting Quashie with intent to do him grievous bodily harm. Russell was also freed of those charges.

Russell Jr is the son of former national footballer Ross Russell Sr.

Russell Sr coached the Defence Force football team which won two Pro League titles before he retired in 2015. His son was a member of the team.

Contacted yesterday, Russell’s relatives were celebrating the outcome as they spent time reconnecting with him.

His mother said he was not at home as his friends had just picked him up to go to the beach.

Guardian Media understands that Russell Jr is now considering suing the State for malicious prosecution.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ross Russell Jr. eager to make football return says dad
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2018, 06:57:39 AM »
Ross Russell Jr. eager to make football return says dad
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

ROSS RUSSELL jnr is eager to make his return to football, after spending 25 months in prison, according to his father, ex-national goalkeeper and current team goalkeeping coach Ross Russell.

The 25-year-old Russell jnr was before the court along with former Defence Force teammate Balondemu Julius for the June 5 2016 murder of Selwyn Gaff in Chaguaramas.

Russell was discharged by acting deputy Chief Magistrate Nanette Forde-John on Monday after the Director of Public Prosecutions issued a notice of discontinuance of the charge.

When contacted on Tuesday, Russell snr said, “(Ross jnr) has plenty desire to play football again. He’s a footballer. He just has to get fit, he knows that. He’s taking it one day at a time.

“(Tuesday) was his first day out so he hasn’t taken anything into consideration like who he’s going to play with,” continued Russell snr. “He’s just enjoying the moment.”

Russell snr, a former Defence Force coach, acknowledged that the past two years were tough but his family were able to cope.

“As a family, I think we coped as well as we could have,” he said. “We had to be strong for him. We had to be there for him, financially and physically. We stood up well to the test. I don’t think we crumbled as a family. We put our heads together and (fought) it out, and ensured that he (came) out.”

According to Russell snr, his son intends to make up for lost time as is spending most of time with his two children.

RELATED NEWS

Ex-Defence Force star, Russell Jr, freed of murder charge, after 25 months in jail.
Wired868.com.

Twenty five year old Ross Russell Jr, a former Defence Force football stand-out, was freed today, after two years in jail awaiting trial for the murder of former Diego Martin resident Selwyn Gaff.

Russell Jr, who maintained his innocence and offered an alibi which suggested he could not have been at the scene of the crime, was released due to insufficient evidence. Sources told Wired868 that he will now consider his options with regards to seeking redress from the state for his lengthy incarceration.

Gaff was 28 when he died from a gunshot wound on 6 June 2016, after being found in the Macqueripe forest, barely alive, by lawmen. He was allegedly shot in the abdomen and left for dead on the previous day.

Russell Jr, who is the son of former Trinidad and Tobago international goalkeeper and current Soca Warriors assistant coach Ross Russell, was detained at Teteron Headquarters along with his cousin and fellow soldier, Balondemu Julius, immediately after Gaff’s death.

Russell Jr and Julius were discharged from the Defence Force and formally charged, a week later, with Gaff’s murder, possession of arms and ammunition and shooting at Gaff’s friend, Jesse Quashie, with intent to do previous bodily harm.

Russell Jr and Julius both represented the Army/Coast Guard combination when they last won the Pro League title in the 2012/13 season. At the time, the “Teteron Boys” were coached by Russell.

Julius, who is 36, remains imprisoned for Gaff’s murder and awaits trial.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:53:09 AM by Flex »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2018, 07:45:59 AM »
What's Defence Force policy on him returning to the institution?

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2018, 08:38:30 AM »
What's Defence Force policy on him returning to the institution?

I would have to imagine having his case thrown out and charges dropped means he can be reinstated. By all metrics this incident and any mention of it in his files must be expunged.  Then again this is Trinidad & Tobago and often logic fails to prevail so lewwe see wha go happen nah

1]; } ?>