April 25, 2024, 11:34:33 PM

Author Topic: President Carmona Inaugural Address To Trinidad & Tobago  (Read 3368 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: President Carmona Inaugural Address To Trinidad & Tobago
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:58:53 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JR7n3qqKec" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0JR7n3qqKec</a>
Nice!!  :beermug:

Just wish our new President can sack corrupt politicians with little integrity who keep conning the country and breaking election promises.

We can do without another Disco President like this one:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TPBTTyADMeE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TPBTTyADMeE</a>

And we need one who is prepared to deal harshly with members of parliament who do this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lO6A_J_KQw8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lO6A_J_KQw8</a>
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:54:53 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:26:22 AM »
That speech has already done more positives to the nation than anything that Max did during his reign....I could recall...

I salute you sir...good governance and morals from all of us....

Makes you feel to be a PROUD TRINI...Discipline, Tolerance and Production....

Everyone has a ROLE to play in our communities and at home...
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:18:54 PM »
I just hope he know he will need to have Kams number on speed dial he will be calling her very regular. I feel he just betta call she every Monday morning not too early I hear like me she is not a morning person but for different reasons.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »
Pardner I been hearing all them big speech before I want to see your works Mr President .

I hope your bite will be as big as your bark because it have some bad ass dogs over there . 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:50:27 AM by zuluwarrior »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 07:00:23 AM »
time will tell.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:40:53 AM »
He struck some appropriate chords in this inaugural speech. Well done!

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 04:54:33 PM »
Kevin Baldeosingh on the speech. Read the comments too  :beermug:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/kevin-baldeosingh/what-carmona-really-said/513860735322116

Esan Granderson Esq:
People hear what they want to hear and that includes both Mr. Baldeosingh and Mr. Raymond. I am a big fan of your writing Kevin, but I both read and listened to the speech in its entirety on youtube and I strongly disagree with your interpretation of his speech. I don't think he was being arrogant as some of the commentators above have intimated, and yes he did strike the populist chords (although I disagree with your assessment of what they intended to convey). Yet I don't think he was defending the elites at all, he was tying to convey that part of the problem in this country is personal responsibility and we would all agree that it is one of our absolute truisms. So many of us are willing to micro-analyse the bonafides of individuals in public office more often than not with good cause and in no small part based on the deleterious conditions we are faced with everyday as well as our lack of confidence based on the abject failures of our past. But that gives us no right to castigate someone without just cause and based solely on our own individual biases.

Sense!!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:27:02 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »
He struck some appropriate chords in this inaugural speech. Well done!

I hope he does not become another act in this PPP comedy central show.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 06:49:17 PM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 10:25:14 PM »
Kevin Baldeosingh on the speech. Read the comments too  :beermug:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/kevin-baldeosingh/what-carmona-really-said/513860735322116

The crazies are everywhere.
You can say that again and they sometimes have a following too.

We must all remember how Hitler had a following as well!   :(
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »
I have often wondered why many... including some here, have been so enamored of this Kevin Baldeosingh fella.  It seems to me his interpretation of the speech as excerpted is motivated by some other deeper-seated animus, rather than intellectual misgivings with Carmona's intent.  Esan Granderson effectively dealt with the biased interpretation he presented, as did Dex Perado (and others), reducing Baldeosingh's retort ad hominems (despite his protest at that accusation) and the trite.. "I understand, even if the sweaty sans-culottes can't."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:29:08 PM by Bakes »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 10:20:43 PM »
I have a suspicion that Baldeosingh has a special aversion to the 'Reverence to God Almighty' affirmation. Anyway, by labelling things as populist I think what he wanted to do is diminish the value of the attempt to find common ground, which is actually quite normal in speech writing. This is accepted practice in an inaugural address and especially advisable when in the same speech the President expresses a great need for change in attitude and operations, it is important to reference sources of celebration. It is intended to provide hope and prevent the perception of condemnation. Furthermore I reject the reference to the statement of fact about incarceration rates as being 'in defence of Afro-Trinis'. I don't know what method he used to deduce that. If anything it is a lamentation. 

Among those who commented was Ira Mathur .She referenced the initiative of people from certain communities in India who despite the absence of any form of State assistance were working to improve their own conditions. She also drew attention to the cultural malaise of modern T&T, a theme she also wrote about in a recent article http://guardian.co.tt/columnist/2013-03-03/breaking-silence. Interestingly Baldeosingh did not address Ms. Mathur's comment.

Not long ago I expressed  sentiments on this forum that I would hazard to say are somewhat akin to the President's. Among other issues,  Trinidad and Tobago is faced with 2 problems, a crisis in leadership and a destructive culture as both the government AND the people are dysfunctional. The former has been discussed ad nauseam and there is enough fodder to around. My pessimism about Trinidad and Tobago has more to with the latter however as this is significantly harder to change than a government. Notwithstanding the poor regulation and management by the State, many of the problems we face are self created. This is in my view the croix of the President's contribution on that issue.

I am happy with the speech because the President said things that needed to be said. Even as the Opposition must prepare itself beyond the campaign and towards the path governance, a revolution of not just ideas but of values must occur for even an inkling of national turnaround. Perhaps the President on this occasion was best placed to make that assertion. The tone of the speech was extraordinary , even more so than the former President's last speech to Parliament during Patrick Manning's regime. Despite his lack of executive power this President clearly understands that he has authority. It will be interesting to observe how he uses it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:26:45 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »
... Among those who commented was Ira Mathur. ... She also drew attention to the cultural malaise of modern T&T, a theme she also wrote about in a recent article http://guardian.co.tt/columnist/2013-03-03/breaking-silence. ...

Not long ago I expressed  sentiments on this forum that I would hazard to say are somewhat akin to the President's. Among other issues,  Trinidad and Tobago is faced with 2 problems, a crisis in leadership and a destructive culture as both the government AND the people are dysfunctional. The former has been discussed ad nauseam and there is enough fodder to around. My pessimism about Trinidad and Tobago has more to with the latter however as this is significantly harder to change than a government. Notwithstanding the poor regulation and management by the State, many of the problems we face are self created. This is in my view the croix of the President's contribution on that issue.

I am happy with the speech because the President said things that needed to be said. Even as the Opposition must prepare itself beyond the campaign and towards the path governance, a revolution of not just ideas but of values must occur for even an inkling of national turnaround. Perhaps the President on this occasion was best placed to make that assertion. The tone of the speech was extraordinary , even more so than the former President's last speech to Parliament during Patrick Manning's regime. Despite his lack of executive power this President clearly understands that he has authority. It will be interesting to observe how he uses it.

As yuh wrote that, leh we go down Memory Lane ...

Songs of David
Vaneisa Baksh
Jan 19, 2012
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Songs_of_David-137650668.html

Amidst the laments about our wicked, corrupt ways, there must surely be some sort of recognition, no matter how nebulous, that this country is mentally unwell. However manifested at the individual level – who chopping, shooting, robbing, defrauding, hoodwinking – it should be obvious that the collective mental health is poor; brittle at best.

But who would want to say that we've all gone mad?

The victims traumatised by abuse of one form or the other; the increasingly terrified onlookers: friends, families and followers of news items (designed to increase the burden of fear); the perpetrators themselves – we add up to a nation in need of therapy.

We've looked back in anger for a considerable amount of time, appending sodden rage to grief that doesn't know how to let go, and it has done little but left us marking time in a rancid pothole. We have not yet learned to turn our eyes to the future, so mesmerised are we by superficial incantations that theatrically invoke the past without learning anything from it.

Sixteen years ago, David Rudder's "Madman's Rant" spelled us out explicitly, grimly and so forebodingly that it is more chilling to hear it with the passage of time. For every year that has passed since, the rant would have been equally relevant. A close study would be enlightening.

Anywhere you turn somebody chanting to we/ Somebody promising jobs for all/ Some renting gun to make other people bawl/ But somebody promising more police car/ Somebody going to take the country far/ Somebody putting all the bandits away/ We say, 'If they do the crime, they going to damn well pay!' /But somebody promising human rights/ While somebody threatening to put out your lights/ The mortuary full with little Trinidad boys/ A bullet start to whine and put an end to their joy/ Now they lying tall for dey Mama to mourn/ Dey Nike gone, dey gold teeth gone.

I miss David. Miss the way his poet's soul proffered intelligent and sensitive analysis. I remain convinced that when he migrated too many years ago he left a chasm that altered the annual rites of release and renewal that was Carnival, and more. He and Peter Minshall soaked the atmosphere with conscience and character, enough to elevate the transient thing (it has become) to something far more profound. Who else but the two of them could have injected that special dimension into Carnival with the band Hallelujah or the song "High Mas"?

The madman from Tales from a Strange Land of 1996 delivers an analysis of a society crumbling under the weight of its debauchery and becoming dysfunctional at every turn. Like a doomsday prophet he chants:

"This is it! This is it! This is it!"

This it is where we are.

In an environment disconnected from the norms that were once the toast of what it means to be a "Trini" we live schizophrenically with ourselves, incapable of grappling with the surrounding reality.

We are quick on the draw, wildly pelting blame at the feet of every Johnny-come-lately – arrive and everything is your fault – and we don't even apprehend how deeply the disorders overrun us. All.

The pressure has built to an unprecedented incendiary level. It is not just expressed in the organised world of crime. A man responds to a dispute over home ownership by burning down the place knowing people would die. Another one flings a baby through a window for crying. Trade unions brawl for power. Women are still being maimed and killed for perceived domestic shortcomings or for leaving abusive partners. Road hogs are the most common animals and road rage erupts at the slightest provocation.

We look for leadership, expecting that leaders exist outside of the din and chaos and have not themselves been shaped by it. Yet, in the bizarre actions of those occupying those positions we must surely discern the same mad afflictions. How else to explain the torrent of inexplicable events?

And yet whether it is to apportion blame or to beg for help, we continue to rest our fates entirely within their incapable hands. And they seem more confused than we. Conflicted voices are coming at them from every niche – people shouting for their rights, whispering for their interests, people emailing their spleens without pause. Is it any wonder we keep moving between zig and zag? And the anger just keeps mounting and getting more destructive.

It calls for recalibrating our instruments of analysis to seek solutions that offer healing as well. All this anger has a source; all this anger has to come out, but we need therapeutic ways to enable ventilation. Violence cannot be the way.

It would be worth diverting resources towards providing counselling and therapy, for schools, offices, community centres, prisons, police stations and political parties. For everyone.

The existing facilities for mental health care are obviously stretched, though I was told that they have come a long way when I tried to ascertain the scope. The major hospitals offer inpatient and outpatient services and there are about 30 psychiatrists available. The system is slowly building itself, but will not grow at anything like the rate required unless it is jolted into action.

It won't be easy to find the human resources to help with counselling (and they too might be in need!), but I think we have to turn our attention to understanding that the problems are not all spawned by evil, but come from a society that has been living on the edge of a nervous breakdown for too long. It might help us to see a different way forward.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 07:40:12 PM »
In an environment disconnected from the norms that were once the toast of what it means to be a "Trini" we live schizophrenically with ourselves, incapable of grappling with the surrounding reality.
As you in the song lyrics mood :

"How my country overnight
Get so angry and uptight"

Ras Shorty I recognised a change , and sudden change in the character of Trinidadians. Today there is palpable hostility in everyday life in Trinidad in particular. I've grown to almost despise jingoistic affirmations like 'proud to be Trini' and 'Trini 2 d bone' because their use is so often ascribed to some manner of frivolity, as if the very definition of Trinidadian was 'of or pertaining to the absence of seriousness'.

The clothes, the music, the customs are all foreign. Our food is the last bastion of authenticity and only when we choose to pass on the KFC or Chinese to actually cook. The young men wear Jamaican style tight pants and New York style jackets while The young women wear winter boots..

We embrace the exhaust, the facade, the icons of national identity and distort the values that preceded them. The family beach or river lime has been replaced with a collection of thugs and badtings who play loud music ,behave raucously , leave a mess behind them and then drive home inebriated. It's not just one class or colour either.

Then of course there's the annual catharsis of Carnival. This is a term which no longer actually applies since it would denote that some measure of restraint was exercised and released for the season. It seems that there aren't enough holidays ,long weekends or any random day for that matter for licentiousness or collective inertia. The holidays have lost significance as well. I remember last year the date for reggae concert was advertised as they normally do as 'd night before d holiday'. This was of course on the occasion of our 50th Anniversary of Independence.

As the article indicated people can't even guess our trajectory, or grasp what is actually going on for that matter. Violent Crime, in part, is one of the byproducts of the mental and spiritual state that obtains. Another is the contempt that the leadership has for the citizens of the country , the State, and its institutions.

Notwithstanding the absence of, in some cases, legislation to monitor the operation of our managers, what is most evident is the absence of morality on the part of office holders and we who allow and approve it in the public domain.  What is sometimes forgotten is that Jack Warner whose reputation was more than tainted before 2010 elections, received more votes than any other candidate (I think it was a record in fact). Additionally, despite her catalog of errors 38% of the population approves of Ms. Kamla Persad-Bissessar. We like it so.....just so.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 01:35:00 AM »
As you in the song lyrics mood :

"How my country overnight
Get so angry and uptight"

Ras Shorty I recognised a change , and sudden change in the character of Trinidadians. Today there is palpable hostility in everyday life in Trinidad in particular. I've grown to almost despise jingoistic affirmations like 'proud to be Trini' and 'Trini 2 d bone' because their use is so often ascribed to some manner of frivolity, as if the very definition of Trinidadian was 'of or pertaining to the absence of seriousness'.

The clothes, the music, the customs are all foreign. Our food is the last bastion of authenticity and only when we choose to pass on the KFC or Chinese to actually cook. The young men wear Jamaican style tight pants and New York style jackets while The young women wear winter boots..

We embrace the exhaust, the facade, the icons of national identity and distort the values that preceded them. The family beach or river lime has been replaced with a collection of thugs and badtings who play loud music ,behave raucously , leave a mess behind them and then drive home inebriated. It's not just one class or colour either.

Then of course there's the annual catharsis of Carnival. This is a term which no longer actually applies since it would denote that some measure of restraint was exercised and released for the season. It seems that there aren't enough holidays ,long weekends or any random day for that matter for licentiousness or collective inertia. The holidays have lost significance as well. I remember last year the date for reggae concert was advertised as they normally do as 'd night before d holiday'. This was of course on the occasion of our 50th Anniversary of Independence.

As the article indicated people can't even guess our trajectory, or grasp what is actually going on for that matter. Violent Crime, in part, is one of the byproducts of the mental and spiritual state that obtains. Another is the contempt that the leadership has for the citizens of the country , the State, and its institutions.

Notwithstanding the absence of, in some cases, legislation to monitor the operation of our managers, what is most evident is the absence of morality on the part of office holders and we who allow and approve it in the public domain.  What is sometimes forgotten is that Jack Warner whose reputation was more than tainted before 2010 elections, received more votes than any other candidate (I think it was a record in fact). Additionally, despite her catalog of errors 38% of the population approves of Ms. Kamla Persad-Bissessar. We like it so.....just so.

A country on the road to definite ruin because the race of its so-called leader is all that matters to a large percentage of them. Its we time now rather than it T&T time now. :-[
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:37:10 AM by Socapro »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 02:30:29 PM »
A country on the road to definite ruin because the race of its so-called leader is all that matters to a large percentage of them. Its we time now rather than it T&T time now.
Just to clarify the 38 % is in reference to this. http://www.cnweeklynews.com/news/caribbean-news/4529-kamlas-approval-rating-drops
There is a connection of course.

1]; } ?>