March 29, 2024, 12:51:30 AM

Author Topic: Chris Birchall Thread  (Read 18368 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Chris Birchall questions Port Vale’s loyalty after accepting cut-price contract offer
By Michael Baggaley (Stoke Sentinel)

FRUSTRATED Chris Birchall accepted Port Vale's offer of a new contract, but then questioned the club's loyalty to him.

The 31-year-old midfielder revealed he has been offered significantly better deals elsewhere this summer.

However, Birchall, from Yarnfield, wants to play for the Valiants, having graduated through the club's youth system to make his first-team debut in 2001.

He was reluctant to move away from his family and young son, and is also studying in his spare time at Staffordshire University.

Vale are cutting their player-wage bill from £2.45m last season to £1.7m. And Birchall claims the fact he is a local player means the club have been able to offer him less than if he were a new signing from out of the area.

He said: "I have accepted the offer and always said I wanted to stay. I have had a lot better offers elsewhere, but I don't want to move away.

"This is my club, but I don't feel I have been looked after or treated in the best way.

"I feel like I have shown the club loyalty over the years. I have been associated with the club from a young age. From that aspect I don't think it's right that I have been offered the contract I have."

After coming through the Vale youth system, Birchall made his first-team debut under Brian Horton and became a regular before moving to Coventry City for £325,000 in 2006.

He later signed for Brighton before moving to the United States to play for LA Galaxy and Columbus Crew before signing again for Vale in January 2013.

Birchall replied to Vale's contract offer this week with a letter of acceptance. Sam Johnson, Ryan Lloyd, Ryan Boot and Nathan Smith have also signed their contracts, but Tom Pope has turned down a pay cut to instead sign for Bury.

Birchall says team spirit will remain strong under manager Rob Page, but adds that losing Pope is a blow.

He explained: "There is always going to be that fighting spirit with the nucleus of the players there, but the lads will be disappointed to lose Tom.

"We always knew there would be interest in him because of his record. It is no surprise that he was in demand and I wish the club had done more to keep him."

Vale have been made third favourites for relegation, but Birchall says that won't bother the players when they report back for training next month with Page and his new assistant Paul Bodin.

He added: "Being among the favourites to go down has never bothered us. We were rated the same a couple of years ago and finished ninth.

"We are more interested in who will be coming in. We are glad Rob Page got the job, and hopefully Paul Bodin can put his own twist on things as well to improve us.

"Hopefully we will keep big players like Michael O'Connor, Mark Marshall and Ben Williamson."

O'Connor, Marshall and Williamson have been offered new deals along with Michael Brown, Louis Dodds, Freddie Veseli and Adam Yates. The club asked players to respond to their offers by Wednesday.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Birchall Thread
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2015, 01:17:33 PM »
WATCH: Chris Birchall scores in Port Vale’s 2-0 win over Blackpool
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NJXDPxl2UR4?start=103" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NJXDPxl2UR4?start=103</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2015, 01:51:38 PM »
Great timing from Chris Birchall to celebrate treble ton with a goal
By Mike Baggaley (The Sentinel)

CONGRATULATIONS Chris Birchall. The winger was making his 300th career appearance in Tuesday night's win over Blackpool, 14 years after making his Port Vale debut as a 17 year old in a League Cup game at Charlton.

Birchall showed a suitable sense of occasion on his landmark game as he got on the end of Uche Ikpeazu's ball across the area to put the Valiants 2-0 up four minutes from time and clinch a hard earned win against the Seasiders.

That completed a bright substitute appearance from the 31 year old who, with fellow substitutes Ikpeazu and Sam Kelly, helped the Valiants over the line in their third game, and third win in five days.

Manger Rob Page faced some criticism when some players including BIrchall and Adam Yates were offered new one-year contracts in the summer. However, the manager argued they were reliable players he know were a good influence in the dressing room and could do a solid job in the team when called upon.

What's more, he pointed out the local players were on less wages than being asked by potential signings from non-league clubs who would have been more of a gamble.

The manager was certainly pleased with Birchall's efforts after the winger replaced a tiring Byron Moore on 63 minutes and helped Vale to victory against a stubborn Blackpool side.

He said: "It's not the first time Birchy has done that, come off the bench and got a goal for us. I touched on this after the Barnsley game about Yatesy. They are two fantastic characters that I know, when called upon, I can trust to go on and give a good account of themselves for the badge."

Page felt Birchall proved that point against Blackpool.

He said: "He has come on, worked his socks off and thoroughly deserved his goal and that has helped us get a valuable three points."

After coming the youth side at Vale, Birchall, from Yarnfield, got his debut under Brian Horton and became a Vale regular while helping Trinidad and Tobago qualify for the 2006 World Cup. Birchall, who qualified for Trinidad because his mum was born there, played in the finals, appearing against England, Sweden and Paraguay.

Micky Adams signed him from Vale for Coventry for £325,000 in August 2006 and Birchall also had a spell at Brighton before playing in the United States with LA Galaxy and Columbus Crew before rejoining the Valiants in January 2013.

Tuesday night's goal was his 16th for the club. Hopefully there are a few more to come.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Birchall delighted to score for second successive game
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2015, 06:47:29 PM »
Birchall delighted to score for second successive game
By James Nelson (port-vale.co.uk)

Port Vale winger, Chris Birchall admitted his delight at scoring for the second consecutive game but could not hide his disappointment after the 2-1 defeat to Rochdale on Saturday.

The midfielder started the game after replacing the injured Byron Moore and scored the opening goal of the game at Spotlands, before Rochdale went on to win the match through Ian Henderson’s first-half penalty and a second-half goal from Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

That goal was the 31-year-old’s second in less than a week, after he scored the second goal in the 2-0 victory against Blackpool on Tuesday night.

Speaking to the media after the game, he spoke about the wonderful week he has endured.

“Personally, it has gone great. It is always nice to get back into the team especially with a couple of goals. I was pleased with the start, maybe kind of expecting it after Byron being injured and being away from home.”

“Pagey (Rob Page) pulled me and said just go out and do what you can do and help the team and luckily for me, I have got a goal, I am happy and I just want to be in the team as much as I can and hopefully that will be the case next week.”

“Sometimes with injuries it gives opportunities to others, just like Dicko (Carl Dickinson) has got sent off, it has given the opportunity for maybe Remie (Streete) to come in and McGivern to go to left-back.

“Personally I would like to play, I always want to be on the pitch but sometimes when you are on the sidelines watching it is a little frustrating, but for me all I can do is try and go out and do what I can when I am playing and luckily I have got a couple of goals.” 

As Birchall mentioned the absence of Carl Dickinson will give other players in the squad the opportunity to prove themselves but the midfielder admitted that the captain will be a hard player to replace.

“He is our captain. He has played well, considerably well this year.

“I think he has taken the captaincy on his shoulders really when last year it may have been affecting his performances, he will be the first to say but this year he has been phenomenal and he will be a big miss.”

After a run of six games unbeaten in all competitions prior to Saturday’s defeat to Rochdale, the Trinidad and Tobago international says that the team is determined to prove that the defeat was only a blip when they face Exeter City in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup on Sunday afternoon.

“I think you can see that we are creating chances and we probably should have gone 2-0 up before the penalty decision anyway.

“We are creating chances and we have a striker on form in Ajay  and we are confident, going into games thinking that we will win it, whereas before we were going into games hoping not to lose the game. We will be going to Exeter confident of getting into the next round.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »
WATCH: Chris Birchall scores in Port Vale’s 2-1 loss to Rochdale

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wCPh8j8XH54?start=24" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wCPh8j8XH54?start=24</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Chris Birchall ruled out after knee surgery
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »
Chris Birchall ruled out after knee surgery
By Mike Baggaley (Stoke Sentinel)

PORT Vale midfielder Chris Birchall has been ruled out for up to six weeks after a knee operation.

The 31-year-old was injured after coming on as a substitute in Monday's 1-0 win at home to Bury.

Manager Rob Page said: "Birchy came on and tweaked his knee within the 10 minutes he was on. We are looking at five to six weeks, hopefully a bit sooner.

"He was frustrated because, straight after the operation, he had his full weight on it and was walking on it. But that seems to be the case when you have a cartilage injury like that."

Birchall has started six games, made six substitute appearances and been a reliable performer after signing a new one-year contract in the summer.

Page added: "It is disappointing for him. He is a great lad to have in and around the changing room and a great lad to be able to start. He has proven he can score goals for me. He's also a great lad to have because I can trust him 100 per cent if I need him to come on at any stage of the game, whether that is defensively or to give us something to change the game.

"So, he will be a miss for us. But it gives somebody now an opportunity to step into his shoes."

Louis Dodds is set to take Birchall's place in the match-day squad against Swindon on Saturday having returned to training after missing two games with a hamstring strain.

Striker Ajay Leitch-Smith hasn't trained this week after he was forced off at half time against Bury having taken a bang on the hip. However, Page is hopeful the centre forward will be fit for Saturday.

Uche Ikpeazu has also resumed training after missing the Bury game through illness.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2016, 09:02:48 PM »
nice read!

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2016, 09:30:56 PM »
Yeah enjoyed that . . .didn't know you had to endure all that from your English teammates
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Euros bring back happy memories of World Cup
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
Chris Birchall: Euros bring back happy memories of World Cup
By Mike Baggaley (Stoke Sentinel)

I HAVE to admit I'll be a little jealous when I tune into the European Championships.

I'm hoping England will do the country proud but just watching the Championships will take me back 10 years to when I had the honour of representing Trinidad and Tobago at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

The fact I qualified for Trinidad because my mum was born there is well documented, although I still thought it was a wind up when the big Wrexham defender Dennis Lawrence approached me during a game against Port Vale to inquire about my availability.

In no time at all I was off for a training camp in Trinidad before playing in a couple of friendlies against Bermuda and a Peruvian club side before getting my chance in a World Cup qualifier.

I suppose, looking back, people might think I signed up for Trinidad just to have a chance of playing in the World Cup.

In reality, we were bottom of our qualifying group when I played my first match so the World Cup was never in my thoughts, I just saw it as a great adventure and a new experience.

It was certainly different. I got to play in front of 105,000 away to Mexico when the noise was so loud and intimidating that I couldn't hear myself think.

As for the temperature in the North, Central American and Caribbean qualifiers, it's fair to say that was a little different to what I had been used to in League One with the Vale.

Nowhere seemed hotter than Trinidad, where we trained mornings and evenings to avoid the hottest part of the day. But that still meant temperatures of 25 and 30 degrees at 10am.

Our hard work paid off because, under coach Leo Beenhakker, we managed to put a great run together, beating a good Mexico side to make the play-offs before overcoming Bahrain over two legs to make it to the finals.

Excitement had been building in Trinidad, but that had to be quickly forgotten between international matches as I did my best for the Vale.

It wasn't easy juggling international and league football. I would get back from a 10 or 11 hour flight on a Friday morning and report for training to try to get in the Vale team the next day.

I was turning up shattered on some Fridays and I so can understand the manager Martin Foyle not playing me the following day.

The travelling and schedule was difficult to adjust to, and so were the training camps as the World Cup approached.

I hadn't been away from my family before so it took some getting used to being away for five or six weeks when we were told when to train, when to eat and when to go back to our rooms on our own again.

It wasn't easy but we went into the World Cup as a strong team, with the experience of Dwight Yorke, Stern John, Carlos Edwards and Dennis Lawrence along with myself and Kenwyne Jones, who were the two youngest lads.

Stoke City fans might think of Kenwyne as a confident, broad-shouldered striker but in those days he was a quiet, timid lad. I think he probably grew in confidence thanks to the World Cup, as we all did thanks to our games against Sweden, England and Paraguay.

We got a 0-0 draw against the Swedes before losing 2-0 against England and Paraguay but the experience was fantastic.

The England game was played in one of the smaller stadiums, in Nuremberg, but both sets of fans still made the atmosphere brilliant, with the England supporters outnumbering the Trinidad and Tobago fans about five to one.

We played pretty well in that game and were heading for a goalless draw when Peter Crouch headed England in front seven minutes from the end.

Crouch pulled Brett Sancho's hair to beat him to the cross, but to be fair we'd been told to kick lumps out of England so can't really complain!

We knew England's plan would be to hit long balls to Crouch so my job in central midfield was to get close to him and make sure I was first to the knock downs.

I also had to keep an eye on Frank Lampard in midfield. I was just defending really rather than seeing much of the ball until the last 10 minutes.

But we did pretty well for each other and all our fantastic supporters and I certainly look back on that 2006 World Cup with fondness and pride.

I was 22, not worried about anything and just wanted to embrace what was a great adventure.

I hope the England players at the Euros can enjoy themselves as much. I just hope we can start well because otherwise it always seems as though the pressure really builds on the England players.

I think host nation France have the players to win the tournament but I reckon England can make the semi-finals.

I'm just looking forward to watching it all, with a few trips down Memory Lane.

I'VE been playing for and following Port Vale for long enough to know that you should never write them off.

So, I'm not going to get carried away with talk if us being favourites for relegation, no matter what the bookies say.

Players have turned down contracts and look like they are going elsewhere which I think is all because of the budget cuts.

But players do move on in football, not just at Port Vale. Rumours about the new manager coming in are exciting so it will be interesting to see who the chairman and Michael Brown can bring in.

As for my own future, I honestly don't know at the moment. I have had an offer so will think about and take it from there.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2016, 08:45:18 AM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kidsgrove Athletic swoop for former Port Vale star, Chris Birchall
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »
Kidsgrove Athletic swoop for former Port Vale star, Chris Birchall
By Jim Hannah (Stoke Sentinel)

KIDSGROVE Athletic have completed the signing of former Port Vale favourite Chris Birchall and he goes straight into the squad for tomorrow's home game against Bedworth United.

Player/manager Ryan Austin met Birchall this morning and completed the paperwork in time for him to be included for their Evo-Stik Division One South clash at the Novus Stadium.

Austin, who took over the managerial reins three weeks ago, says he's delighted with the signing as he continues to build for the future.

“It's a real big signing for Kidsgrove Athletic and I am delighted Chris has agreed to join us. I am absolutely over the moon," said the manager.

“I have been trying to bring in players since I took on the job, but it's not always easy, but it's great I have been able to complete this one so quickly."

Kidsgrove are sitting fourth bottom of the table going into tomorrow's game, but Austin is hoping Birchall can use his years of experience to help them start picking up points and climbing the table.

“Chris has a wealth of experience in the game and I'm hoping he can have a big influence on the rest of the squad," said Austin who also has former Crewe Alex defender Dave Artell in his team.

Chris hasn't played a lot of football lately, but he says he's fit and looking forward to playing for Kidsgrove," said Austin who believes it will give everyone connected with the club a boost.

“It's a major signing for the club and I am hoping it will give everyone a lift, not just the players but the supporters too. I'm looking at building a team capable of competing for the play-offs and Chris can play a major part in that team," said Austin who believes the signing will create some interest in and around Kidsgrove.

“We had a decent crowd for our FA Cup match against Matlock Town last weekend, so I am hoping a few more will come down and support us and get right behind the team."

Birchall, from Stone, turned down a new deal at Vale Park having been one of a number of players asked to take a significant pay cut in the summer. He was wanted by Salford City, but picked up an injury before he could sign for them.

The 32 year old came through the youth system at Vale Park and became the first ever Valiants player to appear in the World Cup finals when he played for Trinidad and Tobago in the 2006 tournament in Germany.

He was sold to Coventry City for £325,000 later that summer and then went on to play for LA Galaxy where he was a team mate of David Beckham.

He re-signed for Vale in January 2013 and helped the club win promotion from League Two that season.

But his opportunities at Vale last season were limited because of a knee injury. He only made one appearance for the Valiants in the second half of the campaign.

Offline Adam Lake

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2016, 04:55:48 PM »
Wishing Me mum all the best with his new club... Rel General for the red, white n black  :beermug: :beermug: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Birchall hoping Trinidad and Tobago writes a new story
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2016, 10:39:11 AM »
Birchall hoping Trinidad and Tobago writes a new story
FIFA.com

It is customary, whenever you are in between jobs, to expect messages of support. Former colleagues perhaps send along a note to offer a hand or alert you of potential opportunities. Former Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Chris Birchall found himself in just such a position earlier this year, having departed his boyhood club Port Vale after a combined eight years over two spells in their senior side. What was far from customary, for the average person – or even your run-of-the-mill footballer – was that the message of support was from none other than David Beckham.

“On the day that I rejected the deal from Port Vale, David text me to see how I was doing,” Birchall explains to FIFA.com, in somewhat nonchalant fashion. “He just asked what was going on and I explained, he then asked how I’d feel about Salford [City, the club owned by members of Manchester United’s fabled ‘Class of 92’]. He then spoke to Gary Neville and I was invited down to training.”

In the end, Birchall chose another path, but for a player who spent a large chunk of his career in England’s lower tiers, the matter-of-fact way he explains his relationship with one of football’s enduring superstars is remarkable.

“To be fair, I’d say every couple of months he’ll just check in, asking how my family is and I’ll do the same with him,” Birchall explains. “If something spurs contact, or there’s a picture on social media, it could be something like that, we just keep in contact and have a bit of banter.”

This friendship was forged during Birchall’s two-year spell at Los Angeles Galaxy, at the height of ‘Beckham mania’ in LA between 2009 and 2011. During his spell Stateside, as well as featuring alongside Beckham, Birchall also shared a dressing room with Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane. His time in LA is one of two incredible episodes that punctuate a somewhat journeyman playing career. The other is his role in Trinidad and Tobago’s FIFA World Cup™ debut in 2006, with Birchall the first white player for decades to represent the island nation – qualifying through his mother who was born in the country.

The diminutive midfielder scored a stunning – and crucial – goal against Bahrain in their intercontinental qualifying play-off which helped the Soca Warriors complete an unlikely route to Germany in 2006, becoming the smallest-ever nation (in both geography and population) to reach the global finals.

“At the time for me it was just a goal, getting the team back into a situation where we could challenge for the World Cup spot,” Birchall recalled. “Now, looking back, and after people said that goal had a major part of getting Trinidad and Tobago to the World Cup, I can’t believe that I’ve had that kind of impact on a game, on the way the history has turned out for the country. I’m just proud and honoured that I had that kind of impact on a country that accepted me.”

An incredible twist of fate saw Birchall’s T&T side drawn into a group containing the country of his birth, England – who could count future Galaxy team-mate Beckham amongst their number.

“I was in my hometown, and all the cameras from the BBC had come just on the off-chance that that miraculous thing did happen, that we’d be drawn against England,” Birchall recalled. “I remember all my friends and family and the public were just in a bar, watching it on the big screen. England popped up first, and we were the last pot to get drawn into a group. I just remember the guy on TV unravelled the piece of paper, showed it to the camera and it said ‘Trinidad and Tobago’ and the whole pub erupted – I couldn’t believe it!”

These stories, and the contact details of Beckham, Keane, Donovan and Co., will likely do Birchall no harm in his preferred future profession of journalism, after the midfielder completed a university degree in Professional Sports Writing and Broadcasting. What’s it like being on the other side of the microphone?

“We did some work experience, went to St. George’s Park [the training centre of the England national team] for a couple of days. We were interviewing the Great Britain 7-a-side team for the Paralympics, and it was so strange to be on the other side,” Birchall smiled. “Trying to memorise your questions, determining what sort of flow the conversation was going, adding other questions that you hadn’t rehearsed, being on that side. It was very difficult but fun at the same time. I have a lot of respect for those who interview people now, because I know how hard it is!”

It is with a patriotic, not journalistic, interest that Birchall now follows the results of his adopted nation after retiring from international football in 2013. Into the final round of CONCACAF qualifying, ‘the Hex’, the former T&T man thinks Stephen Hart’s side have a good chance of reaching Russia – especially with 2006 World Cup squad member Kenwyne Jones as captain.

“I speak to Kenwyne and ask how they’re doing,” Birchall said. “He says this is the only squad he’s been confident in since the 2006 World Cup. After that tournament, we lost all our experienced players: Marvin Andrews, Dennis Lawrence, Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy and Shaka Hislop.

“Now it’s been a rebuilding process, the players have come through, the funding’s been there and hopefully now they can show CONCACAF that they are one of the big teams in that region and hopefully go on. They’ve had some great results, drawing against USA at home, beating Guatemala away and drawing with them at home. Even in the Gold Cup the year before, drawing with Mexico, these are things that even in 2006 would have been unbelievable. Now this young group of players are all coming together.”

With his own personal experience of fairytale stories and unlikely heroic acts, Birchall’s now-trained journalistic eye will no doubt be keenly watching the Hex in the hope that T&T can emulate the 2006 cohort, and sculpt a tale of their own worth writing about.

Online trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »
Nice read!!! Big up yuh self me mum!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Birchall distances himself from Fenwick's comments
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2020, 09:37:04 AM »
Birchall distances himself from Fenwick's comments
By Ryan Bachoo (T&T Guardian)

T&T’s 2006 World Cup footballer Chris Birchall has distanced himself from national coach Terry Fenwick’s comments that he is helping to expand the player pool for this country’s senior men’s football team.

Speaking to the media at the reopening of the Police Barracks Grounds in St James on May 8, Fenwick said, “I also have to mention former national players Jason Scotland who is based in Scotland, Andre Boucaud in London and Christopher Birchall. They were all attached to the national team for a long time and now they are helping to widen the pool of players for T&T and doing their part in helping us out.”

However, in an interview with Andre Baptiste on his Isports programme, the former midfielder dissociated himself from those reports.

He said, “There was an article that came out in the Guardian that I was helping to find 'Trini' blood abroad which I can categorically say to you now that wasn’t the case. I have had no contact with Trinidad whatsoever. I wish Terry [Fenwick] all the luck in the world, but I haven’t spoken to him. I haven’t spoken to anyone about finding 'Trini' roots abroad.”

Birchall went on to say it is something he “would love to do” as it's disappointing to see the state of T&T football 15 years after the country qualified for its first and only FIFA World Cup.

The former T&T footballer, who played 44 times for the national team scoring four goals said, “There hasn’t really been a lower point than what there is now. Dennis [Lawrence] leaving, obviously, Terry Fenwick taking over and I wish him all the best but it’s just that building process again and it’s frustrating to know that a team that qualified for the World Cup, the best competition in the world, is now at rock bottom.”

Having plied his trade in club football in both the United States and the United Kingdom, Birchall has seen both the best and worst of T&T football. He believes the departure of several key players from the national team in the aftermath of the 2006 World Cup led to the downfall of the T&T senior men’s team. However, the biggest loss, Birchall believes, was former head coach Leo Beenhakker.

“Once the World Cup ended, Leo Beenhakker left, which is the best coach I have ever had in my life. He got the best out of me and got the best of the team. He knew exactly what an opposition was going to do before a game. Then he left and it was like, ‘well what happens now? It was like the whole nucleus of the team left straightaway,” Birchall said.

Before the pandemic, the 36-year-old was trying to set-up a football school which has since been delayed because of the coronavirus outbreak. He says he wants to teach young players the game and give back to the sport. He admitted nearing the end of his career he fell out of love with the game but since his playing days have ended, he has missed the action on the field.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2020, 10:22:50 AM »
terry is a liar now lol....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Birchall sorry but denies tweet was racist
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2020, 08:24:41 PM »
Birchall sorry but denies tweet was racist
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

FORMER national footballer Chris Birchall has apologised for his tweet concerning race, saying it was misinterpreted.

Birchall, who was a member of the 2006 TT World Cup team, tweeted on Friday, "Yes Black lives matter of course they do, but am I allowed to write White lives matter, Asian lives matter, Indian lives matter #AllLivesMatter."

Birchall received heavy criticism for his tweet and later deleted it.

The former LA Galaxy midfielder later posted. "I apologise if people were offended by my tweet. It was a tweet saying everyone matters. Regardless of race, regardless of colour, regardless of religion. My best friends are different races. I hate racism and wish everyone got treated equal but don’t turn that into a racist comment."

There have been protests all over the world following the killing of an unarmed black man in Minneapolis while in police custody. George Floyd was arrested on May 25 and died on the street after a white police officer knelt on his neck for approximately eight minutes. The officer has been charged for second degree murder.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2020, 09:36:28 PM »
Chris you don't get it bro :(

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2020, 01:58:24 AM »
Seems like jack warner right about these guys who went to the World Cup, I found quite a few of them Ato be insensitive and very self serving.

chris I thought you of all people would be careful with your words, but since last week with the terry fenwick situation I’ve noticed that you spoke rather carelessly, and instead could have called mr fenwick and left John public out of the situation and trashed out your difference in private, but instead you opt to go to the media, now again you’re flouting your tongue when you should have kept your views to yourself.
word to the wise chris, from now on keep your mouth taped about very delicate matters such as these if you can’t do the topic justice, instead of being a colossal wanker.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2020, 04:07:20 AM »
There are a lot of pitfalls around the language of race. Often, as is the case here, a casual or simplified reading leads to a compromising outcome.

Perhaps some of us have read Wired868's chronicling ("shaming", condemnation and call to economic boycott all in one) of several T&T personalities whose visceral reactions to what is happening on the streets led them to automatically "speed-dial" #AllLivesMatter as a response to a PARTICULAR reality. Some of those offending personalities (self-styled socialites and reductionist arbiters of common sense) even went further with advice for Black people (typically an entry point and arena of unsure footing).

Similarly, I've read about an African-American police chief whose attempt to defuse the protest in her city included uttering the words "all lives matter". Somehow,  it didn't occur to her that that contribution was destined to be unhelpful. Unsurprising, they've been calls for her resignation. 

Birchall clearly has a problem with prepositions. That is evident in the "if" in his apology (particularly disappointing for a footballer who likely had media training) and the "but" in his problematic tweet. If we don't accept that he has a problem with prepositions then we have to confront that he has a problem with the value proposition.

Aside from the reflexive suggestion that "all lives matter", there are other "philosophical" difficulties or tensions  that are stimulated by the words "Black lives matter". Indeed, this Birchall situation points to two of them: (1) the idea of a thing being "obvious" is fraught with difficulty and (2) the distinction between "is" and "should". "Black lives should matter" versus "Black lives matter".

Chris, that Black lives should matter is not obvious to everyone. In some quarters Black lives are neither a concern nor a priority. Should that be obvious to you?

Chris, there are others who recognize that Black lives matter and who have set their goals to oppose Black lives from mattering. (By the way, Chris, "and" is a preposition you should probably consider weaving into your tweets).

Further,  some Black people will have difficulty stating what for them is supposedly obvious: my life matters. The thing is that Black Lives Matter is not about stating what is obvious as individuals but is about stating what is not evident in society's handling of what matters and what should matter.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 04:13:32 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Former teammates defend Birchall after All Lives Matter tweet
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2020, 07:20:16 AM »
Former teammates defend Birchall after All Lives Matter tweet
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

FORMER teammates of national footballer Chris Birchall have defended him, saying his controversial tweet concerning race was misinterpreted.

Birchall, who was a member of the 2006 TT World Cup team, tweeted on Friday, "Yes Black lives matter of course they do, but am I allowed to write White lives matter, Asian lives matter, Indian lives matter #AllLivesMatter."

Birchall was criticised for his tweet on social media.

The former midfielder immediately responded on Twitter. "I apologise if people were offended by my tweet. It was a tweet saying everyone matters. Regardless of race, regardless of colour, regardless of religion. My best friends are different races. I hate racism and wish everyone got treated equal, but don’t turn that into a racist comment."

Birchall was an instrumental member of the 2006 Germany World Cup campaign. He scored against Bahrain in the first leg playoff match at Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain to help TT earn a 1-1 draw. In the second leg in Bahrain, TT won 1-0 to book a spot in Germany. Birchall, 36, represented TT 44 times from 2005 to 2013.

There have been protests all over the world following the killing of an unarmed black man in Minneapolis while in police custody. George Floyd was arrested on May 25 and died on the street after a white police officer knelt on his neck for almost nine minutes. The officer has been charged for second-degree murder. Three other officers who were present when Floyd was killed have also been charged with related offences.

Brent Sancho, Stern John and Densill Theobald, three of Birchall's teammates at the 2006 World Cup, defended him.

Sancho said, "Misinformed yes, tone deaf yes, but certainly not a racist. At the end of the day, this is a kid that represented our country...people get misinformed. We are too quick to condemn people and we're too quick to try and assassinate people...our responsibility is not to chastise and assassinate but to educate, that is the key for me."

John said, "I have known Birchall for a number of years and I don't see him as that type of person, to be fair. I don't know if it's an innocent mistake. From knowing the person, knowing Chris for a number of years...he hanged with us and he never came across like that type of person."

There have been comments and discussions on social media on race since the killing of Floyd.

John, speaking about them, encouraged people to think about what they say.

"Some people just commenting because of commenting's sake, but if you doing something, make sure it is constructive and makes sense. You can't be saying anything for saying anything's sake, and a lot of people doing that, to be fair."

Theobald said, "It is just to show you that you really have to be careful in terms of what we speak out there, especially if we are a public or a prominent figure, as Chris is known to us in TT."

Theobald said Birchall's tweet could have several interpretations and believes his former teammate was misunderstood.

"I think when you read the text it could be taken many ways and it could be misinterpreted just as he rightfully said...that is just an unfortunate situation. Knowing Chris personally, I have never encountered that type of person that people might proclaim him to be in this situation and he has never come across as someone like that, and we always had a good relationship."

Kenwyne Jones, another former teammate of Birchall, had an issue with a "highly sensitive" video posted by Birchall in which he was tagged. The video, posted on April 1, portrayed black men in a negative light.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2020, 09:42:12 AM »
Media (social and public) is so misleading. Who accused the man of racism ? If someone doesn’t know and could never experience the significance of something, even if it’s as simple as eating food, how can they accurately comment on starving when they have only gone a day or two without food in their lifetime. I don’t expect Chris or any non-black person who has NOT been part of the problem to immediately grasp what such terms mean. Initially i didn't either. Similarly why ppl feared ‘Black Power’.

So Chris is unaware and uninformed, so his ppl educate him, or they fail too. That is reporting material? Me mum misinformed opinion. We have so much bigotry and racist ppl right there in our country , where every creed and race find an equal place, depending on what job yuh does do and which area yuh grow up in, who is yuh fadda and where yuh study, doh talk bout skin colour and hair. Yet the Media have to report on Me Mum, like he’s the Greatest leader America ever had- Trump.

Trinis, please !

A BLM or George Floyd protest in TT, is not just about policing and against the oppression of Black ppl in the USA. Freedom of minds is not just restricted to one group of ppl.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:43:48 AM by maxg »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2020, 10:43:27 AM »
lived in England for many years from a young teen knows the culture there very well, in trinidad I would be considered red  mixed  callalloo  but in England I’m a wogg aka gully wogg aka half caste aka nig nog, been called many awful names to my face and behind my back....no sweat I get it....it’s part of the dynamic of the country, however I know these entitled intolerant brits very well, anything that challenge their status quo they are not short of jumping out to put down any kind of assertion of self dignity by non brits.

It’s been my view that outside of the afro Caribbean community there is an apprehension by others British subjects of the commonwealth to make their voices heard for fear of being ostracized and labeled as being troublesome like the jamaicans and the rest of the caribbean community.

IMO mr birchall was not happy about the protest or the fact that the volatility of black lives coming into question as being cheap and inconsequential, supposedly a view held by most whites world wide who evidently become defensive and abrasive when called out as being common practices of intolerance and injustice in white circles.

the fact that mr birchall came out on his own initiative to post his stance, not being asked his opinion or pressed to render his view on the issue is ample reason to believe that he does have a problem with the movement or at least the labeling there of.

i also think that his back peddling is a clear indication of his insincerity after being called out for his view, and the usual “I have black friends/ friends of all races” the typical guilty response in these very situations to cover up their blunders is evident here. now please don’t misunderstand me, I’m not saying that Chris is a bigot or has racist tendencies, I’m simply saying that he might not be as tolerant as we would like to think.

for my years of living abroad I have noticed a few things about race relations, and there‘s definitely on many occasions a rush to judgement by african descendants in an over zealous fashion to call out others for accusations of racism which might not be necessarily so, in fact a lot of what we might perceive as racism more than likely can be properly interpreted as intolerance.

chris ole boy....... what more can I tell you but that you fked up, but don’t worry you will survive. let this serve as a lesson to you in the future be slow to act and curb your enthusiasm especially in sensitive matters, knowing that you’re a public figure with much to lose. the yardies have a saying “not everything good to see good fee talk”, i believe this should be the mantra of every public figure and it wouldn’t be a bad idea if you we’re to adopt it and made it your own.

as for you being a racist, I doubt that very much, however I do believe you’re intolerant and insensitive of the struggle of most non whites, like most whites are naturally, but racist......I don’t think so.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:38:40 AM by pull stones »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2020, 11:30:02 AM »
There is not much difference between Birchall and Drew Brees and how each was perceived by his teammates prior to wading into making insensitive comments surrounding race. Brees is said to be a great teammate and affable personality. Same here.

The thing is that there are multiple layers to understanding and internalizing the experience of the other and being a good teammate is an insufficient barometer of completely gleaning the degree to which someone has internalized the experience of the other.

I agree with Sancho. Misinformed. Tone deaf. Absent knowing more,  perhaps a blind spot.  For sure. I agree with maxg and Sancho: educate or fail.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:33:57 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2020, 11:36:40 AM »
There is not much difference between Birchall and Drew Brees and how each was perceived by his teammates prior to wading into making insensitive comments surrounding race. Brees is said to be a great teammate and affable personality. Same here.

The thing is that there are multiple layers to understanding and internalizing the experience of the other and being a good teammate is an insufficient barometer of completely gleaning the degree to which someone has internalized the experience of the other.

I agree with Sancho. Misinformed. Tone deaf. Absent knowing more,  perhaps a blind spot.  For sure. I agree with maxg and Sancho: educate or fail.
please don’t quote Brent sancho, that wanker gives me a bloody headache. what a cnt he has turned out to be.

PS. I don’t know how many white friends you have, but I could talk for the ones I do interact with and they do have a habit of putting their guard down and letting it fly, only to realize that they are indeed infected by the self entitled shallow minded bug that is prevalent and indicative of that culture, only to their surprised and dismay.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:46:30 AM by pull stones »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2020, 01:51:51 PM »

Yes this is very similar to the Drew Brees scenario. The good thing was Drew's teammates let him know his statements were insensitive and he was misinformed. Seems he's gotten the message from listening to them, either that or he couldn't handle the backlash so he quickly apologized and took responsibility. What Chris needs to understand is in this current climate black lives matter since black lives suffer the most due to systematic racism and injustice by law enforcement who will often kill black people without much regard or consequences. I don't expect Chris to know how it is because he's not black and it doesn't affect him but he needs to LISTEN and educate himself on this matter.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2021, 08:14:51 PM »
City Of Stoke Football Club welcomes Chris Birchall as Director of Football
City of Stoke FC Media

Former Port Vale winger Chris Birchall joins City Of Stoke Football Club as Director of Football.

Chris came through the Port Vale youth system and went on to make 177 appearances for the Vale, before moving onto Championship side Coventry City then making the move across the pond in with LA Galaxy and Columbus Crew in the MLS, Chris also made 44 international appearances for Trinidad and Tobago and played in the 2006 World Cup.

Most recently Chris formed The Chris Birchall All Stars Academy which has already seen a great success and uptake in participation for children 4-11 year olds.

Chris joins the club in a Director Of Football role along with joining the Senior Mens 1st Management team.

Chris will help the club continue its good work helping the club push forward with its vision bringing a wealth of experience and knowledge for the game over a 16 year professional career and will be a massive asset to the club.

Leigh Robinson spoke:

I feel honoured and proud that following a great meeting with Chris we have been able to reach an agreement for him to come aboard the CÖS journey and help with the Senior Mens 1st team project and help the club push forward with its aspersions of Step 6 football and further. The future is exciting with more news to follow and developments very soon.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2021, 08:38:20 AM »
Congrats
NEXT move

PRESIDENT- TTFA   drumroll :bs: :rotfl: :yellowcard:

1]; } ?>