April 18, 2024, 11:45:58 PM

Author Topic: Plans by T&T government to mandate all radio stations play 50% local music?  (Read 12036 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
If there is any substance to this rumour then it is going to definitely have a major positive impact for local music and for our artists making a decent living at home all year round.  :beermug:

A President, A Viking and 50% Local- Differentology?
Posted on Mar 19 2013 - 1:22pm

Amid talk of plans by Trinidad and Tobago’s government to mandate that all radio stations on the island play 50% local music, the country yesterday swore in its fifth President since it acquired Republican status in 1976. It was a big day for the country – a day that possibly symbolised change with the inauguration of a new President whose background in the criminal justice system will hopefully augur well for the heightened crime statistics reported over the years. Amid the pomp and pageantry at the Hasley Crawford Stadium on Monday however, something was noted by the E-BUZZ team, something quite ironic really. Something different!

Two days prior to the swearing in of the new president, the armed forces, dignitaries and the population bid farewell to former President, George Maxwell Richards. Toward the end of the ceremony at the Queen’s Park Savannah, a parade of national security personnel vigorously marched to Ragga Soca artiste, Bunji Garlin’s 2013 hit single, Differentology- a song done with the accompaniment of local rock band, Orange Sky’s leading man, Nigel Rojas on guitar throughout the season. For local music, it meant something. It meant that the higher authorities were in tuned to the population and what they responded to- maybe more than they had expected.

Two days later, the situation repeated itself at the Hasley Crawford Stadium. Again, as the national security officials marched off the grounds, Differentology echoed across the foreshore of West Trinidad. For Bunji Garlin, it was more humbling than words could explain. “I feel very humbled by it all. I am very happy that I was able to create a song that could be used for any occasion. That should be the goal of music. I feel blessed to  have had this happen in my lifetime,” he said. The artiste who spoke with us this morning, merely a few days after laying his elder brother to rest, told us that his mother had a dream some 10 years ago and in that dream, she had heard his music being played for kings and dignitaries. “That must have been what she had dreamt,” said Garlin.

Overseas, Differentology – a piece of music created by well known producer, Sherif in Trinidad, was played at the Ultra Music Festival in Miami on the weekend. This morning, Bunji quaintly made mention of it, saying that he was really happy about the direction things were going in. Meanwhile, not to be outdone, another of Bunji’s hits, the 2012 single Tun Up  is turning heads overseas. The song was re-done by Jus Now- a two man production team comprising Trinidad’s very own LAZAbeam. The Vibe Magazine, in a short excerpt wrote, “ Nervous Records stays ahead of the curve by leaping across the globe and snagging duo, Jus Now. With a genre-defying sound, “Tun Up” shoots turnt-up bass into the sonic g-spot; and it feels so good. Jus Now (consisting of Bristol based DJ-producer, Interface, and Trinidadian percussionist-producer, LAZAbeam) is going to be a “must-watch” act this year.”

Even with so much going on in his personal life and career, Bunji has been keeping an ear out, listening to the decision makers in Trinidad. He’s heard about moves to have local music given 50% airplay on local frequencies. He told us he didn’t understand, in his youth, what a move like that would mean, but now he does. “I have gotten to realise how important something like this is. My only question now is what standards will define the quality of content that will play?”

Garlin said this is about the customer and consumer affairs, highlighting that you just cannot sell what a consumer doesn’t want to buy “no matter how much you pretty it up.” Optimistic still, the artiste said the move could stimulate the industry but called for there to be responsible people at all points involved- people who could help in offering something substantial for the growth of the industry. “We will need to have quality writing and production… this poses a challenge. This is a gateway that is opening for us all to explore the opportunities. We may not reap the benefits now but we need to work on it now so that generations to come, will benefit.”
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:41:55 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I will predict that if they bring in this 50% local mandate this year and the T&T music industry rises to the challenge of quality music that will be required to fill the gap that Soca and other genres of local music will finally start making the international impact that Calypso already made in the 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's.  :beermug:

Lord Shorty said it best in this song!

Lord Shorty - We Ting ( True Kaiso )
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxuD4ERg9_s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HxuD4ERg9_s</a>
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:42:22 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It is a f**king shame the gov't have to force TT socalled patriotic citizens to play at least 50% local music. Oh happy f**kin' day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A step in the right direction. I am interested to know how they would define "local." Does it mean locally produced or Locally recorded, or does it mean a 'local artiste' singing or collaborating?

Also, what are the penalties for breaking such legislation and who is going to enforce it?
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
I hear this talk before and even know some artistes who was pushing the head. Very wrong move in my opinion. Like the gov't gettin desperate now.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If Tempo could not make it work then I believe it eh a vialable option.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is not uncommon and actually long awaited and required.
Many other countries adopt this policy to ensure development of the local media.

As per wiki:
Similar domestic content quota laws also exist in Canada, Philippines, Mexico, Nigeria, Israel, South Africa, Jamaica, Venezuela, China and New Zealand. Quotas also apply in the Republic of Ireland and France (which now have a European Union content rule rather than domestic ones.)

US doesn't need one due to the strength and popularity of their media.

Good move!

A step in the right direction. I am interested to know how they would define "local." Does it mean locally produced or Locally recorded, or does it mean a 'local artiste' singing or collaborating?

"content that was at least partly written, produced, presented, or otherwise contributed to by persons from [TnT]. It also refers to that content itself, and, more generally, to cultural and creative content that is [Trinbagonian] in nature

MAPL:
Music composed by a citizen of the country
Artist perfoming is from the country
Performance is recorded in the country or the broadcasted live in the country
Lyrics written by an citizen of the country

I guess it would among these lines in a TnT context:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_content
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/cancon/r_cdn.htm
whey boy!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lol@ how easy allyuh accepting this censorship talk.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Soca has potential, I was in Orlando last week and went to a club in Universal (not the Bob Marley club) but there a white dj, a fatman spinning and he bought in two soca remixes with a techno beat and the crowd was feeling it. One was a Bunji, not differentology, a older song and the other was Denise Belfon "work". Not sure if these songs are played regularly in Europe in that fashion but it's the first time I've heard them play soca in those mixes and I usually check out the night life is like in just about every place I visit.
Anyway I'm not saying I'm in favor of the mandate but if local music had to be played 50% of the time it may force producers to become creative in remixing songs that can appeal to a larger audience and can encourage artistes to make quality songs. On the other hand I hope the airwaves don't become oversaturated with nonsense to fill the void, with all kind of local crap playing on the radio.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If 50% of the music on the radio can still be foreign crap then how is that censorship?

In fact thinking about it they should censor all that violent ghetto crap that is played way too much on the radio under the heading of dancehall and hip-hop rather than just censoring or cutting out just the swear words in the songs as is the current practice.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:59:43 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If 50% of the music on the radio can still be foreign crap then how is that censorship?

In fact thinking about it they should censor all that violent ghetto crap that is played way too much on the radio under the heading of dancehall and hip-hop rather than just censoring or cutting out just the swear words in the songs as is the current practice.

What kinda assness you asking?  If government dictating what is to be played on the radio how is that NOT censorship?  The problem with allyuh is that allyuh does fail to look at the big picture, focused as allyuh is on the shiny bauble in front allyuh eye.  Not see the proverbial forest for the trees.  What next... 50% of the programming on local stations must be pro-Government?  How about pro- [insert political party]?  Imagine I own a radio station and can't play what the hell I like and you can't see that is censorship?  No wonder Trinidad in the state it is with this government.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

What kinda assness you asking?  If government dictating what is to be played on the radio how is that NOT censorship?  The problem with allyuh is that allyuh does fail to look at the big picture, focused as allyuh is on the shiny bauble in front allyuh eye.  Not see the proverbial forest for the trees.  What next... 50% of the programming on local stations must be pro-Government?  How about pro- [insert political party]?  Imagine I own a radio station and can't play what the hell I like and you can't see that is censorship?  No wonder Trinidad in the state it is with this government.
You need to preach that red-herring hogwash to someone else Bakes. I already explained why it is not censorship in my opinion and it does not matter how you want to twist it my opinion on this will not change.

In fact as ProudTrinbagonian pointed out similar domestic content quota laws exist in Canada, Philippines, Mexico, Nigeria, Israel, South Africa, Jamaica, Venezuela, China and New Zealand. Quotas also apply in the Republic of Ireland and France (which now have a European Union content rule rather than domestic ones.)

The T&T government haven't done this yet but they are considering it and to be honest I doubt they will do it because T&T is such a backward place regards promoting our culture and what we have to offer to the world. However if they do it will the best thing that the PP government has done since coming into power in my humble opinion but I would still find it difficult to vote for them if I was living in T&T considering all the other nonsense they have done since being in office on the balance of things.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:13:38 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
You need to preach that red-herring hogwash to someone else Bakes. I already explained why it is not censorship in my opinion and it does not matter how you want to twist it my opinion on this will not change.

In fact as ProudTrinbagonian pointed out similar domestic content quota laws exist in Canada, Philippines, Mexico, Nigeria, Israel, South Africa, Jamaica, Venezuela, China and New Zealand. Quotas also apply in the Republic of Ireland and France (which now have a European Union content rule rather than domestic ones.)

The T&T government haven't done this yet but they are considering it and to be honest I doubt they will do it because T&T is such a backward place regards promoting our culture and what we have to offer to the world. However if they do it will the best thing that the PP government has done since coming into power in my humble opinion but I would still find it difficult to vote for them if I was living in T&T considering all the other nonsense they have done since being in office on the balance of things.
Do you even know what a 'red herring' is?  If you can't see the logical connection between this proposal and the slippery slope I described then that only evidences the gap in your own reasoning rather than exposing any gap in the connection being made.  Whether YOU see it as censorship or not is completely beside the point... anytime government limits what a private radio station can play that is censorship.  Just as restricting curse words is censorship... the act is no different, just the rationale.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Do you even know what a 'red herring' is?  If you can't see the logical connection between this proposal and the slippery slope I described then that only evidences the gap in your own reasoning rather than exposing any gap in the connection being made.  Whether YOU see it as censorship or not is completely beside the point... anytime government limits what a private radio station can play that is censorship.  Just as restricting curse words is censorship... the act is no different, just the rationale.
Regardless of what you want to called it, it will be a GREAT if it happens but I doubt very much that it will happen. Don't think the T&T as a country is as forward thinking and progressive as Canada, Philippines, Mexico, Nigeria, Israel, South Africa, Jamaica, Venezuela, China and New Zealand in promoting its own locally produced music. It's sad but true.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
how much new music is produced during the year???
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
how much new music is produced during the year???
Quite a bit but most gets sidelined in preference for foreign stuff and I am not just talking about soca music here.

I believe if this 50% local mandate becomes reality folks will be surprise how much good local music we produced that routinely gets sidelined.

This mandate will be a good thing if it becomes reality but I doubt it will seeing how backward we are as a country in promoting our own music and how we tend to have a seasonal love for our culture.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:05:14 PM by Socapro »

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
this is shyt. if yuh wanna hear local whole day turn it on one ah dem ole people stations. doh dictate men pace if thats what they wanna hear.
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Thank you Morvant!!! Is only so much jump up and wine and rag in the air Ah man could take. When last yuh hear a soca song with a positive message that don't sound like is ah set ah noise they making?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
this is shyt. if yuh wanna hear local whole day turn it on one ah dem ole people stations. doh dictate men pace if thats what they wanna hear.
Thank you Morvant!!! Is only so much jump up and wine and rag in the air Ah man could take. When last yuh hear a soca song with a positive message that don't sound like is ah set ah noise they making?
Are either of you guys serious?

Listen to yourself Morvant, how does 50% local equate to local whole day and only catering for old people?

And Triniairman, regards your comments that I have also highlighted in red, it proves to me even more so that a 50% local mandate is required because you are obviously totally unaware of great positive local songs like these two:

Terri Lyons - Fighter [2013 T&T Soca / Dark Horse Riddim]
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bX4h5BiaOJo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bX4h5BiaOJo</a>

Bunji Garlin - Over The Hills [2013 T&T Soca / Dark Horse Riddim]
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-oZH1Q4FZMw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-oZH1Q4FZMw</a>

Regards Morvant, your comments is ample proof that the 50% mandate is going to be educational to you also regards your notion that all local music is for old people and belongs on old people stations.

Last time I checked we have local Trini artists doing all varieties of music genres including rock, reggae, dancehall, hip-hop, r&b, etc in addition to local genres with a young people appeal like Island Pop, Rapso, ragga-soca, etc.

And to triniairman, the same also applies  to you regards your comments that all local music is about jump up and wine and rag in the air; your perception is far from reality and you too can do with an education in the range of musical styles and topics that our local artists have in their catelogs and can offer in even more abundance if the 50% local mandate becomes a reality.

Sadly though I doubt that this positive 50% mandate will happen and all this is just hot air and old talk from the PP government because they don't truly care about helping our local artists make a decent living. 

Once again as ProudTrinbagonian pointed out, similar domestic content quota laws exist in Canada, Philippines, Mexico, Nigeria, Israel, South Africa, Jamaica, Venezuela, China and New Zealand. Quotas also apply in the Republic of Ireland and France (which now have a European Union content rule rather than domestic ones.) I don't view any of these countries as culturally backward, do you?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:10:28 PM by Socapro »

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

That there is part of the problem. If you do go with that 50% rule (or whatever it may be), then be prepared for real shit on the airwaves. Along with the 50% rule there must be support for local artists to produce better music. BTW, some of the foreign stuff you hear on the raid is real tata as well so don't only knock the jump and wave.
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
I would not believe this till I see all the evidence
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

That there is part of the problem. If you do go with that 50% rule (or whatever it may be), then be prepared for real shit on the airwaves. Along with the 50% rule there must be support for local artists to produce better music. BTW, some of the foreign stuff you hear on the raid is real tata as well so don't only knock the jump and wave.
There is plenty of new quality local music that is being produced be it soca or otherwise (I already posted two example songs above) on the Dark Horse riddim. Here are another two examples:

Kes & David Rudder - Live Yuh Life (2013 Soca)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jLgVZzKH2KI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jLgVZzKH2KI</a>

Mr Nutron - Bubblin [2013 Soca]
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVVFFakhNkk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jVVFFakhNkk</a>

There is a false perception that there is not enough quality local music to hold down a 50% local quality music mandate simply because some of the radio stations and DJ's are too lazy to look thru some of the quality local music albums etc that might be gathering dust on their music shelves.

Also as you have stated there is already a lot of foreign stuff playing on local radio that is serious tata and basically no good to guide and uplift the youths because of the negative mentality and lifestyle it promotes but this foreign music gets a major bligh on our airwaves simply because it is foreign or is sung by some famous or popular foreign artist.

We do a lot of quality local music and I am not talking about soca or old people stuff that gets shelved in preference for inferior foreign tata and I believe this 50% local mandate will help to address the unhealthy imbalance happening right now. It will also enough our local artists to put out even more quality non carnival music as they would at least be guaranteed a fair hearing rather than their music being unfairly left on the shelves to gather thus.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:09:28 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Once again as ProudTrinbagonian pointed out, similar domestic content quota laws exist in Canada, Philippines, Mexico, Nigeria, Israel, South Africa, Jamaica, Venezuela, China and New Zealand. Quotas also apply in the Republic of Ireland and France (which now have a European Union content rule rather than domestic ones.) I don't view any of these countries as culturally backward, do you?

You keep harping on this as though this means something.  Aside from a baldly unsubstantiated claim from Wikipedia, what evidence is there that any of these laws are working in these purported jurisdictions?  All this mandate will do is cause radio stations to lose money because people will tune in to hear what THEY want to hear... not what the Government or some radio station want to force on them.  If they don't get the content they want on the airwaves they will tune out, and likely go to the internet.  This is what all of us are already doing... if we don't like what's on the radio we go elsewhere.  For the life of me I can't see why supposedly intelligent people can't grasp this concept.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You keep harping on this as though this means something.  Aside from a baldly unsubstantiated claim from Wikipedia, what evidence is there that any of these laws are working in these purported jurisdictions?  All this mandate will do is cause radio stations to lose money because people will tune in to hear what THEY want to hear... not what the Government or some radio station want to force on them.  If they don't get the content they want on the airwaves they will tune out, and likely go to the internet.  This is what all of us are already doing... if we don't like what's on the radio we go elsewhere.  For the life of me I can't see why supposedly intelligent people can't grasp this concept.
To be honest with you I don't really care too much about what other countries are doing, what I care about is the quantity of quality local music not just Soca and old people music that gets shelved in T&T simply because it is local and because of our colonial mentality that foreign is always better.

Anyway as a DJ and collector of all sorts of music myself both local and foreign, I know better so you need to harp on to someone else that is more ignorant of the amount of quality local music in all genres that is being produced by our artists that simply gets shelved in favour inferior foreign stuff.

As I said the 50% local mandate will be 100% beneficial provided it is implement and properly enforced but I don't think we are progressive and organised enough as a country to implement such a mandate sadly.
In fact I believe we are too culturally brainwashed and backward as a people for this 50% local mandate to ever be implemented. It is well worth doing but we are simply to backward with promoting our rich musical culture and talent as a country to ever implement this so you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:44:23 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
To be honest with you I don't really care too much about what other countries are doing, what I care about is the quantity of quality local music not just Soca and old people music that gets shelved in T&T simply because it is local and because of our colonial mentality that foreign is always better.

Anyway as a DJ and collector of all sorts of music myself both local and foreign, I know better so you need to harp on to someone else that is more ignorant of the amount of quality local music in all genres that is being produced by our artists that simply gets shelved in favour inferior foreign stuff.

As I said the 50% local mandate will be 100% beneficial provided it is implement and properly enforced but I don't think we are progressive and organised enough as a country to implement such a mandate sadly.
In fact I believe we are too culturally brainwashed and backward as a people for this 50% local mandate to ever be implemented. It is well worth doing but we are simply to backward with promoting our rich musical culture and talent as a country to ever implement this so you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

You's ah dunce... or yuh can't f**king read?  You see me mention anywhere about "the amount of quality local music in all genres"??  What does that have to do with anything I said with regards to consumers dictating what is played?

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I can't speak too much on the other nations, but as far as Canada has gone, it has done wonders for the music scene.
Canada lacks a certain amount of patriotism (unless hockey is involved).  However over the past 10 years, (as the laws came into effect around 2002) the policy has worked.  Artists of all forms have enjoyed a larger audience...and dominate the airwaves.  Yes, there are some hiccups, but the success and popularity has risen in Canadian music since the inception.
Arcade Fire, NickelBack, Justin Beiber, Drake to name a few have all taken Canadian music to a level of popularity that previously was limited to Shania and Celine Dion. 
I say give it a chance.... if done correctly the benefit will be the growth of the music industry.

It's not so George Orwell-ish "1984"

In Canada it does get frustrating hearing a lot of "Canadian" music on the radio, but I know a couple people who I have heard on the radio, seen their music videos on TV and get small contracts from it.  Guys who otherwise would not have the opportunity if not for the regulation.
And if you don't like it, you could always pop in a cd, usb or your iPod/phone...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:04:41 PM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

morvant you real disrespectful dey, man. so only ole people does listen to local music. you sure you born Trini. You doh like your culture!!!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile

morvant you real disrespectful dey, man. so only ole people does listen to local music. you sure you born Trini. You doh like your culture!!!

Ent!
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BTW, some of the foreign stuff you hear on the raid is real tata as well so don't only knock the jump and wave.

Mal jeux, "some". I will half of it is real tata,

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You's ah dunce... or yuh can't f**king read?  You see me mention anywhere about "the amount of quality local music in all genres"??  What does that have to do with anything I said with regards to consumers dictating what is played?
You are getting too emotional for me Bakes and it’s not only you that God give a working brain to you know.
I don't really care for your view on this matter as I speak from my own experience and what I know as a music collector and radio DJ.
I suggest you focus on having your pointless argument with someone else as you can't change my view on this issue. Ok cool?!  :beermug:

1]; } ?>