April 28, 2024, 07:16:23 PM

Author Topic: Plans by T&T government to mandate all radio stations play 50% local music?  (Read 12083 times)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Growing up we never listen to Carnival music in Lent...my mother used to to enforce that
It's an old tradition....
not sure why

maybe cuz I hear other people call it devil music.  A lot of Jakans I grow up say that about Soca that it devil music...not sure how they come up with that one.  Was blazing a Philipino chick a few years ago and I was playing soca in my car....she tell me that "devil music"
 ???

ras any yardie come at u with that sh!t just tell them two words....tommy lee

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
In the days during lent, when we could not hear calypso on the radio neither sing it, we would pray for St Joseph day to come, that one day in lent you will get  a break after that we on lent till easter.

It was so bad we even bet lent ,and if someone ketch you singing calypso you will get a tap from the person you bet with .

Bring back the old time dayz was nice, but the boring songs was the worse .

But the cat o lick church had we in bondage and the father priest freein up he self with the little boys in the church ,lord farther we was in a mess,and there is people still like that .

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In the days during lent, when we could not hear calypso on the radio neither sing it, we would pray for St Joseph day to come, that one day in lent you will get  a break after that we on lent till easter.

That was weird. This thing about St. Joseph day and Calypso. I also remembered that also. You are correct abot all what you posted.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
So even though we gained Independence in 1962 we are still culturally brain-washed that our own thing is sinful and have carried on the oppression of our own culture while allowing foreign stuff that is not half as good and uplifting as our own thing to dominate our airwaves.

We should broken the tradition of this self-hating behaviour from when we gained Independence in 1962.
The Jamaicans managed to do it with their music so they have been able to develop theirs and move it forward but we in contrast seem to have carried on with the self hating traditions that the ex-colonials rulers did their best to establish.

Anyone who argues against 50% local content does not understand our history and how the airwaves have been used to oppress our culture and keep us in a perpetual state of mental slavery.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:17:55 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Anyone who argues against 50% local content does not understand our history and how the airwaves have been used to oppress our culture and keep us in a perpetual state of mental slavery.

Well thank God you hold the franchise on that understanding and decide tuh share... or else de rest ah we would be lost and hopeless.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
To me this "mandate" thing sound like some Communist shit, that's my major problem with all this to be honest. If I'm radio station business man, I playing music that the vast majority will listen too today...shit rap, reggae, dancehall, soca, and whatever else that is hot right now. I might not listen to half the music playing, but the vast majority will and that is where I'll get advertising business.

Question: Does Soca artist (not local Reggae artist) release music all year round, or is mostly around Carnival time? I can't remember, that's why I'm asking. If not why don't they do that? This will kinda force radio stations to want to play their new songs to the people who listening.

Another question: why is it when we go to a dance, you can still hear old school rap or reggae/dancehall and the crowd does go crazy over it. Not so much the soca music,? that is if it gets any kinda play. Imagine yuh in a dance today and yuh hear "cent, five cent, ten cents, dollar" compare to  some old West coast rap or some Old school Beres or Yami Bolo*

I think that  a lot of you would love to see our music on the big stage, but in reality, it will not if it just stays locally. You would think Macheal would be a big international star by now, but I don't hear his music playing on radio stations in foreign. (Correct me if I'm wrong) forcing radio stations to this, is not the answer.

One of the advantages of implementing such a "mandate" will be to avoid faux pas like this....

"New tune from Rudder..its on youtube..someone post the link cause i cant right now "

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=47869.msg638223#msg638223
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
http://www.guardian.co.tt/entertainment/2013-03-28/memories-easter

http://www.guardian.co.tt/lifestyle/2013-03-28/what-easter-means-christians-time-rebirth-and-reflection

Notice when this calypso show is  happening after lent easter monday ,pro a lot of people still have the bridles on and they would pass it on to their children .

come Easter monday they could start to sin again till next year  when lent comes around again .
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:54:17 AM by zuluwarrior »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Well thank God you hold the franchise on that understanding and decide tuh share... or else de rest ah we would be lost and hopeless.
I don't hold the franchise on understanding T&T's history. It's there for everyone who has eyes to see to observe how we have been mentally brainwashed against our own culture and music.
It is quite clear that the catholic religion, media, schooling and other tools were used by our ex-colonial rulers to condition us into carrying on our own cultural oppression.
We have gained our so-called Independence but have blindly carried on the oppressive tradition that our culture and music is sinful.
If you study our history this is as clear as day and you don’t need to be of above average intelligence to observe this; all that is required is to remove the blinkers and to not be an Uncle Tom!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:58:58 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
To me this "mandate" thing sound like some Communist shit, that's my major problem with all this to be honest. If I'm radio station business man, I playing music that the vast majority will listen too today...shit rap, reggae, dancehall, soca, and whatever else that is hot right now. I might not listen to half the music playing, but the vast majority will and that is where I'll get advertising business.

Question: Does Soca artist (not local Reggae artist) release music all year round, or is mostly around Carnival time? I can't remember, that's why I'm asking. If not why don't they do that? This will kinda force radio stations to want to play their new songs to the people who listening.

Another question: why is it when we go to a dance, you can still hear old school rap or reggae/dancehall and the crowd does go crazy over it. Not so much the soca music,? that is if it gets any kinda play. Imagine yuh in a dance today and yuh hear "cent, five cent, ten cents, dollar" compare to  some old West coast rap or some Old school Beres or Yami Bolo*

I think that  a lot of you would love to see our music on the big stage, but in reality, it will not if it just stays locally. You would think Macheal would be a big international star by now, but I don't hear his music playing on radio stations in foreign. (Correct me if I'm wrong) forcing radio stations to this, is not the answer.

One of the advantages of implementing such a "mandate" will be to avoid faux pas like this....

"New tune from Rudder..its on youtube..someone post the link cause i cant right now "

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=47869.msg638223#msg638223

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
http://www.guardian.co.tt/entertainment/2013-03-28/memories-easter

http://www.guardian.co.tt/lifestyle/2013-03-28/what-easter-means-christians-time-rebirth-and-reflection

Notice when this calypso show is  happening after lent easter monday ,pro a lot of people still have the bridles on and they would pass it on to their children .

come Easter monday they could start to sin again till next year  when lent comes around again .
I suspect you can add Bakes to that list! :beermug:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:20:28 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I don't hold the franchise on understanding T&T's history. It's there for everyone who has eyes to see to observe how we have been mentally brainwashed against our own culture and music.
It is quite clear that the catholic religion, media, schooling and other tools were used by our ex-colonial rulers to condition us into carrying on our own cultural oppression.
We have gained our so-called Independence but have blindly carried on the oppressive tradition that our culture and music is sinful.
If you study our history this is as clear as day and you don’t need to be of above average intelligence to observe this; all that is required is to remove the blinkers and to not be an Uncle Tom!  :beermug:

T&T's history is there for the understanding... but YOU choose to label "Anyone who argues against 50% local content" as not understanding that history... as though it is impossible to both understand the history and be against this simplistic, knee-jerk measure.  Your asinine assumptions continue by stating that those who don't share your viewpoint have on "blinkers" and choose to be "an Uncle Tom!"  It's almost laughable really, except yuh being serious in yuh delusions.  Thank goodness this won't be seeing the light of day no time soon... no matter how you personally try to denigrate the critics  :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

T&T's history is there for the understanding... but YOU choose to label "Anyone who argues against 50% local content" as not understanding that history... as though it is impossible to both understand the history and be against this simplistic, knee-jerk measure.  Your asinine assumptions continue by stating that those who don't share your viewpoint have on "blinkers" and choose to be "an Uncle Tom!"  It's almost laughable really, except yuh being serious in yuh delusions.  Thank goodness this won't be seeing the light of day no time soon... no matter how you personally try to denigrate the critics  :beermug:
I already pointed out that T&T has too many unpatriotic culturally brainwashed folks like you in charge for this great idea to see the light of day, so what yuh worrying about eh! Looks like we are doomed to be culturally Americanised and the country will eventually go to the dogs at the current rate if things aren't arrested but of course folks like you are happy with how things are on our airwaves, we can see that!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:30:38 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So wait a minute... because you's a moderator of this forum you could just delete my post for no reason so fella?  Could you point out to me in what way my post violated the forum's rules or standards?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dude yuh's ah f**kin little boy... and even that might be ah insult to little boys.  Not only that but a liar and a hypocrite as well.  Whole thread yuh talking shit and because I point out the emotional pack ah ass yuh talking you ketch feelings, call me "unpatriotic" and "Uncle Tom" and whatever else... I respond and tell yuh yuh woulda fit in nice in Bush cabinet (and the PP gov't) with that "unpatriotic" talk and yuh delete my post... now yuh lying talking about I cuss you in the post??  So long I move on and not even studying you and you throwing word in the thread about "add Bakes tuh dat list" and what not, now yuh acting like nobody could "disrespect" you just because yuh's ah moderator?

I really want to see what the administrators of this website allowing here at all.

truetrini

Socapro yuh in censoring shit too breds..after all the years we have been going at it all of ah sudden yuh deleting posts and censoring?  Dat eh right.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Socapro yuh in censoring shit too breds..after all the years we have been going at it all of ah sudden yuh deleting posts and censoring?  Dat eh right.
I seriously don't have the time for all the BS arguments these days that I used to have time for back in the day GTFOOHWDBSA.
But you are more than welcomed to engage/entertain Bakes, Justcool and the others who have the time okay, as I do enjoy reading and dropping a comment here and there to stir the pot whenever I can make the time?!  :devil:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:17:27 PM by Socapro »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Arcade Fire, NickelBack, Justin Beiber, Drake to name a few have all taken Canadian music to a level of popularity that previously was limited to Shania and Celine Dion. or RUSH

Jes a quick lil' fix.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Minus $72 million
By Rubadiri Victor (T&T EXPRESS)

Four years ago the Artists Coalition sent out a call for musicians to submit non-soca, non-chutney, non-festival local music to us. We received over 1,000 albums in about a week! We now have over 2,000 CDs, recorded in the last five or so years, by mostly young Trinbago artists.

It’s a drop in the bucket of what exists and could exist. Bear in mind this is Trini-rock, reggae, R&B, electronica, jazz, fusion, rapso, and other styles. These 2,000 CDs — most with laid-out covers and notes — have on average six songs. The average cost of doing a song in the studio is $6,000.

Let’s do the math. That’s 2000 CDs with six songs — 12,000 songs by $6,000 a song. That’s $72 million spent by young artists in the last five years on music that basically was never played by our 37 radio stations! That is madness, youth oppression and cultural genocide.

Listening to the best couple hundred of these songs you would be floored by the talent and dedication to craft in them. And this is despite the musicians knowing in their hearts they would never be played on radio. You wonder if this is the same generation that many say is delinquent...

In pure dollar terms this represents huge wasted assets, especially when one considers the return on this private investment could be billions. And we have the evidence…

Annual attendance at industry trade-expos is the tried and true method of getting deals in the music industry. Contingents are sponsored by major labels or by nations.

The annual Jamaican booth is as big as a small house. Trinidad and Tobago just does not go… If you don’t go to these expos you don’t exist in the mainstream industry. And thus we don’t exist.

The only times we went were spearheaded by private individuals. We went four times in the last 18 years to MIDEM — at the time the most important.
The return on those four times was an astounding $150 million in deals — for less than $5 million spent. Every single international breakthrough our industry has gotten stems from these trips. The deals include KMC’s signing, the signing of at least five albums that then went gold, the “Who Let the Dogs Out” deal, etc… Imagine if we’d gone every year with the full complement of songs and artistes!

Most of these deal-getting songs were not big “hits” in Trinidad. Most have been killed by radio programmers since. However they are multi-million dollar-earning songs internationally! Similarly hundreds of the songs assassinated by radio gatekeepers are potential earners.

We at ACTT believe that direct earnings from musicians alone could bring in net $.5 billion in foreign exchange annually. The two greatest saboteurs of our music and TV and film industry are: lack of airplay, and the failure of governments to fund merit-based contingents to trade-expos.

At present only .05 per cent of our artistes tour — this number should be 35 per cent!
From that number dozens will become millionaires, hundreds will become middle-class…

Of the 12,000 songs, I’d say there are hundreds of genius tracks that can contend internationally — being flag-bearers for that artiste’s international career. There are thousands of local songs — for all formats — that should be played on radio regularly. On ACTT’s radio programme “Indigenous” (every Monday from 8-10 p.m. on 91.1 Talk City) — the only place you’ll hear this music — we’ve played almost 400 new releases by these artists in the last year.

Thousands of fans have joined the Facebook page and hundreds vote every week for the historic chart carried weekly in the Sunday Mix. Why do we constantly have to prove we have worthy artists in this country?

We’re the same nation that produced Selvon, Lovelace, Naipaul, CLR James, Lawrence Scott, Wayne Brown and nurtured the voices of Derek Walcott, Oonya Kempado, and Nalo Hopkinson. We created filmmakers like Horace Ove — the first black film director in Britain; Frances Ann Solomon who was given films to shoot for the BBC and Canada — but not us…

We’ve a diaspora of talent yearning to do work home including Tatyana Ali, Nia Long, Alphonso Rebeiro, Lorraine Toussaint, Geoffrey Holder, Nicki Minaj, Heather Headley… These are who our local programmers and advertisers are blocking…

As a nation we cannot destroy the dreams of our youth like this. We cannot silence 12,000 songs “jes like dat”! You pay dearly for such sins…

Every silenced song has come back to us as a bullet. Every flickering light of a dying dream raises an alarm to riot. We have sent our angels to sit in dark corners with fingers on their lips…

ACTT is proposing: that local short-films be shown before each movie in the cinema; that local content reach 50 per cent over two years — with 85 per cent at prime time.
We’re demanding that CNMG be converted into a PBS, BBC, or Britain Channel 4 model where local film-makers provide content.

If we cannot do this in our 50th anniversary of Independence and 100th anniversary of recorded music — then we do not deserve Independence. If we cannot liberate our angels — then we will deserve our devils… 

rubadiri@yahoo.com 

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Minus $72 million

Four years ago the Artists Coalition sent out a call for musicians to submit non-soca, non-chutney, non-festival local music to us. We received over 1,000 albums in about a week! We now have over 2,000 CDs, recorded in the last five or so years, by mostly young Trinbago artists.

It’s a drop in the bucket of what exists and could exist. Bear in mind this is Trini-rock, reggae, R&B, electronica, jazz, fusion, rapso, and other styles. These 2,000 CDs — most with laid-out covers and notes — have on average six songs. The average cost of doing a song in the studio is $6,000.

Let’s do the math. That’s 2000 CDs with six songs — 12,000 songs by $6,000 a song. That’s $72 million spent by young artists in the last five years on music that basically was never played by our 37 radio stations! That is madness, youth oppression and cultural genocide.

Listening to the best couple hundred of these songs you would be floored by the talent and dedication to craft in them. And this is despite the musicians knowing in their hearts they would never be played on radio. You wonder if this is the same generation that many say is delinquent...

In pure dollar terms this represents huge wasted assets, especially when one considers the return on this private investment could be billions. And we have the evidence…

Annual attendance at industry trade-expos is the tried and true method of getting deals in the music industry. Contingents are sponsored by major labels or by nations.

The annual Jamaican booth is as big as a small house. Trinidad and Tobago just does not go… If you don’t go to these expos you don’t exist in the mainstream industry. And thus we don’t exist.

The only times we went were spearheaded by private individuals. We went four times in the last 18 years to MIDEM — at the time the most important.
The return on those four times was an astounding $150 million in deals — for less than $5 million spent. Every single international breakthrough our industry has gotten stems from these trips. The deals include KMC’s signing, the signing of at least five albums that then went gold, the “Who Let the Dogs Out” deal, etc… Imagine if we’d gone every year with the full complement of songs and artistes!

Most of these deal-getting songs were not big “hits” in Trinidad. Most have been killed by radio programmers since. However they are multi-million dollar-earning songs internationally! Similarly hundreds of the songs assassinated by radio gatekeepers are potential earners.

We at ACTT believe that direct earnings from musicians alone could bring in net $.5 billion in foreign exchange annually. The two greatest saboteurs of our music and TV and film industry are: lack of airplay, and the failure of governments to fund merit-based contingents to trade-expos.

At present only .05 per cent of our artistes tour — this number should be 35 per cent!
From that number dozens will become millionaires, hundreds will become middle-class…

Of the 12,000 songs, I’d say there are hundreds of genius tracks that can contend internationally — being flag-bearers for that artiste’s international career. There are thousands of local songs — for all formats — that should be played on radio regularly. On ACTT’s radio programme “Indigenous” (every Monday from 8-10 p.m. on 91.1 Talk City) — the only place you’ll hear this music — we’ve played almost 400 new releases by these artists in the last year.

Thousands of fans have joined the Facebook page and hundreds vote every week for the historic chart carried weekly in the Sunday Mix. Why do we constantly have to prove we have worthy artists in this country?

We’re the same nation that produced Selvon, Lovelace, Naipaul, CLR James, Lawrence Scott, Wayne Brown and nurtured the voices of Derek Walcott, Oonya Kempado, and Nalo Hopkinson. We created filmmakers like Horace Ove — the first black film director in Britain; Frances Ann Solomon who was given films to shoot for the BBC and Canada — but not us…

We’ve a diaspora of talent yearning to do work home including Tatyana Ali, Nia Long, Alphonso Rebeiro, Lorraine Toussaint, Geoffrey Holder, Nicki Minaj, Heather Headley… These are who our local programmers and advertisers are blocking…

As a nation we cannot destroy the dreams of our youth like this. We cannot silence 12,000 songs “jes like dat”! You pay dearly for such sins…

Every silenced song has come back to us as a bullet. Every flickering light of a dying dream raises an alarm to riot. We have sent our angels to sit in dark corners with fingers on their lips…

ACTT is proposing: that local short-films be shown before each movie in the cinema; that local content reach 50 per cent over two years — with 85 per cent at prime time.
We’re demanding that CNMG be converted into a PBS, BBC, or Britain Channel 4 model where local film-makers provide content.

If we cannot do this in our 50th anniversary of Independence and 100th anniversary of recorded music — then we do not deserve Independence. If we cannot liberate our angels — then we will deserve our devils… 

rubadiri@yahoo.com 

:beermug:

Great article that is spot on!!
We are our own worse enemy if we don't think that our talented local musicians deserve at least 50% airplay for the money they are spending in trying to keep our local music and recording industry alive!!

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
Lol@ how easy allyuh accepting this censorship talk.

Well said, Bakes.  I totally agree with you on that.  :beermug:
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
Lol@ how easy allyuh accepting this censorship talk.
If 50% of the music on the radio can still be foreign crap then how is that censorship?

In fact thinking about it they should censor all that violent ghetto crap that is played way too much on the radio under the heading of dancehall and hip-hop rather than just censoring or cutting out just the swear words in the songs as is the current practice.

What kinda assness you asking?  If government dictating what is to be played on the radio how is that NOT censorship?  The problem with allyuh is that allyuh does fail to look at the big picture, focused as allyuh is on the shiny bauble in front allyuh eye.  Not see the proverbial forest for the trees.  What next... 50% of the programming on local stations must be pro-Government?  How about pro- [insert political party]?  Imagine I own a radio station and can't play what the hell I like and you can't see that is censorship?  No wonder Trinidad in the state it is with this government.

Bakes...again, well said.  My opinion exactly.  I was going to chime-in, but you already said it all.   :beermug:
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
I'm going to chime-in here, but Bakes already voiced my opinion on this on page 1 of this thread.

But if not mentioned already, I would also like to add that the 50% mandate should ONLY apply to government-owned radio stations or TV stations.  However if it is a privately owned enterprise, then the government should not be dictating the content that the privately owned enterprise wishes to share on their own radio stations. 

Again...if it is a GOVERNMENT-OWNED entity, or if the Government owns substantial shares in that entity, or maybe FUNDS that entity, then and ONLY THEN, should the government have any say, input, or mandating powers to disctate what should and shouldn't be on the air.

Btw...do you think that the T&T Government should also dictate the content that should be shared on this site?  Whether you agree with the government or not --- how would you feel if the government dictated the type or percentage of content that should be on this PRIVATELY OWNED website?

Ponder that.

Anyway, I haven't read through all of the comments here, but Bakes gets it.  He definitely sees the bigger picture. (I'm glad it wasn't just me...lol)

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
Minus $72 million

rubadiri@yahoo.com 

Though I understand what Rubadiri is saying in the article (and I've met him a few times, and know that he's a stand-up straight forward talented guy)...what he has missed in his 'analysis' is the fact that these young local artists in T&T who don't get radio airplay, are actually quite adept and sophisticated in using social media forums and local small live performances to get their word-out.  These young aspiring artists today have resources at their fingertips that wasn't really there 20-30 years ago --- they use their Facebook accounts and their Facebook pages, Twitter, and Youtube to display and showcase their talent. 

Also, what is missed is the fact that nothing is stopping any keen, motivated, and resourceful person or private investment group etc from seizing upon the opportunity to launch a new radio station that showcases up-and-coming talent from T&T and the region.  But this is a decision that must be made by private individuals willing to take a risk on such a venture.  Fact is, NO government really creates opportunity (though they sell themselves as if they do), and government are not known as having the best business minds.  If you want local talent on the air, launch your own radio station, put ALL the unknown and known local talent on the air, and hope you draw in enough listeners to be able to attract more advertising dollars to support your enterprise.

Additionally...not everyone who has a demo is going to make it.  Talent doesn't necessarily translate into record sales and success money-wise.  It takes a lot more than being able to rap, sign, play an instrument, have bad song, good songs, or great songs etc.  You have to be resourceful...driven...motivated...a fighter...never give up your dream...and well, lucky. 

And lastly, not all of the success stories in the recording business got airplay on the radio.  Their success was as mentioned above, a mixture of being resourceful, driven, motivated, and being lucky.  For instance, Drake, KRS-One, and NWA (just to name a few examples), launched their own record label (at least KRS-One, and Drake that is) since they were not getting airplay and no one would sign-them to a deal -- they instead recorded their own albums, and sold those albums, thereby keeping the bulk of the proceeds for themselves.  If I remember correctly, NWA's reputation spread by word-of-mouth on the street in South-Central LA, and even though their hard-core style of rap was ignored mostly the radio-stations.  They still saw much success, and the rest is history.

All-in-all, a 50% government mandate is not required and would be a sad day in our 'Forged from the Love of LIBERTY' country if that were to happen.   

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

So what is the argument for NOT having 50% local content?
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile

So what is the argument for NOT having 50% local content?

I think 50% local content would be an awesome thing to have, but privately owned radio stations should NOT be subject to content mandated by the government.  Again...that's the key word:  MANDATED.

Government should ONLY be able to mandate percentage of content or any other silly schemes if they fund that radio station.  Therefore if it is a GOVERNMENT owned and run radio station, then they could mandate that the radio station play the content of T&T or Malaysia or whatever content they want.  If the government is a partial shareholder of that radio station, then the government deserves partial say in content mandate. 

Bottom line is, if I invested my own funds into 100% ownership of a radio station, and I'm the ONLY one taking ALL the risk...I'm the one who is NOT guaranteed a profit, and could face a loss or losses and go out of business, since business is not guaranteed from day-to-day...if I'm the ONLY one footing the bill, then no one else should be able to have a say as per what percentage content I should have --- including the government.  Unless of course I give them permission to have a say. 

If a government or ANY other organization wants a say as per the percentage content on MY 100% owned and risked radio station, then they better put their money where their mouth is in order to have a seat on my executive decision making board. 

Dictating terms and content percentage is not a free venture for anyone who's not a co-owner in my enterprise. 

That's my message to any government.   
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:32:21 PM by OutsideMan »

1]; } ?>