April 26, 2024, 07:03:25 AM

Author Topic: From International Player to Head Coach of National Team  (Read 1537 times)

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
From International Player to Head Coach of National Team
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:14:13 AM »
Should it be a requirement that the National Team Coach come from the prior National Team pool ?
I raise this question because I noticed that in Trinidad and Jamaica, the reins would be easily handed over to a former player. Does playing at an international or professional level qualifies the individual ?
I would also like to point out that some of the most successful and creative coaches on the planet have never played at such a level.
Coaches such as Leo Beenhaaker, Jose Mourinho,  Vitor Pereira, Andre Villas Boas, Robin Dutt, Gerard Houllier.
Houllier was a school teacher and coached the little kids at his school, Dutt went from coaching an amateur side to coach Stuttgart, Pereira went from coaching kids to Porto's assistant Coach to AVB I am sure we are all aware of Mourinho's history.
Any takers?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: From International Player to Head Coach of National Team
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:53:28 PM »
Helmut Schon(Germany), Sep Herberger(Germany) Mario Zagallo(Brazil), Franz Beckenbauer, Alf Ramsy(England) to name few who played on their national teams and also were sucessfull managers. These mentioned won the world cup as managers. Locally, Conrad Braithwaithe managed the TT67 PanAm games team to a bronze medal. He played for TT. Edgar Vidale a former national player coached the 74 CAC team to a silver medal. It works for some and it don't work for others. Maradona, Gullit, Pele, Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton. They were not successful at coaching. Pele actually never coached. It can work both ways.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »

Helmut Schon(Germany), Sep Herberger(Germany) Mario Zagallo(Brazil), Franz Beckenbauer, Alf Ramsy(England) to name few who played on their national teams and also were sucessfull managers. These mentioned won the world cup as managers. Locally, Conrad Braithwaithe managed the TT67 PanAm games team to a bronze medal. He played for TT. Edgar Vidale a former national player coached the 74 CAC team to a silver medal. It works for some and it don't work for others. Maradona, Gullit, Pele, Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton. They were not successful at coaching. Pele actually never coached. It can work both ways.

Good answer  :beermug:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:52:39 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:08:41 PM »
The reason why I brought this up..(and the points about those great coaches are well taken)..is that the game has changed so much over the years.
There is a lot more to coaching these days. Ten years ago til now we saw  possession football increase year by year, the number of tackles  decreasing, technically gifted players increasing. Italy is not a defensive team anymore ..my point is the game is continually changing.
Traditionally it wasn't too difficult to put a group of good players together and the outcome would  either be magic or bust..the coach didn't have to do much the players worked it out on the field.
Nowadays it's different the coach has to have expert knowledge of many fields e.g  leadership, management, psychology, and sports science.
Now when you take a player who has been playing most of his life, and  he takes a couple coaching courses ,when would he have been able to gain this valuable  knowledge in order to be an effective National Coach?
Many of the nonplayer coaches spend a longer time in the 'school of coaching' thus making that coach better qualified for the job. Some of them get masters degree in football.
Now I  don't put Shabazz in this category because he hasn't demonstrated that he's up to date with the most current coaching trends.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 07:28:19 AM »
The reason why I brought this up..(and the points about those great coaches are well taken)..is that the game has changed so much over the years.
There is a lot more to coaching these days. Ten years ago til now we saw  possession football increase year by year, the number of tackles  decreasing, technically gifted players increasing. Italy is not a defensive team anymore ..my point is the game is continually changing.
Traditionally it wasn't too difficult to put a group of good players together and the outcome would  either be magic or bust..the coach didn't have to do much the players worked it out on the field.
Nowadays it's different the coach has to have expert knowledge of many fields e.g  leadership, management, psychology, and sports science.
Now when you take a player who has been playing most of his life, and  he takes a couple coaching courses ,when would he have been able to gain this valuable  knowledge in order to be an effective National Coach?
Many of the nonplayer coaches spend a longer time in the 'school of coaching' thus making that coach better qualified for the job. Some of them get masters degree in football.
Now I  don't put Shabazz in this category because he hasn't demonstrated that he's up to date with the most current coaching trends.
A friend of mine and I were debating what criteria our current coaches use to 1) evaluate players 2) evaluate games played since comments coming from both players and the coach after the last two games indicated that either we were watching two different games or that the analysis of those games were seriously lacking. Do we even scout teams anymore? Granted our budget constraints considered, I'm sure videotapes of our and our opposition games are available. Do we have any coaches locally that are seriously of international caliber?

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:00:39 AM »
Since I in primary school come right up, I always know coach evaluations in Trinidad has been flawed and not just biased
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 08:14:12 AM »
... A heck of a thing it is when flawed and biased.

1]; } ?>