March 29, 2024, 07:25:45 AM

Author Topic: Johan Welch  (Read 11100 times)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Johan Welch
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »
The GK prove his worth and quality last night nobody should be saying anything negative about this kid.That  goal that got past him was as a result of the surface..that kind of surface does that..he had a fabulous game.
Fire de Staff get new people in there now!!!

It was a combination of things, starting with the fact that he was in a bad position. When the man had the ball and look up, Welch was last post when he should have been first and it probably even encourage the man to shoot which left him scrambling to get across his goal.  He then went down for the ball in such a way that left no part of his body to stop the ball should it go through his arms, which, unfortunately, it did.  That was his ONLY error for the game and even though it cost us a goal, it did not cost us the game.  I do agree, though, that the bounce on the turf didn't help but under normal circumstances, with his body better positioned behind the ball, a bad bounce or two still won't get past you.  I am NOT bashing the young man, I am just breaking down why (I think) that goal actually scored and if you look at the replay again you might agree that it really was a combination of all those things as well as you may not.  I DO agree with your last line.  I wouldn't get rid of Cooper or Ross Russell, but (at least) Corneal and them need to go.   

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 05:49:08 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZpBq0Ol9nY8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZpBq0Ol9nY8</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
Thank you for the kind posts.  I will leave you with this.
As far as the warning to critics, I will say this.  This is not my first rodeo.  I did not post as some emotional mother but as a former college player and coach who has a deep love for the game.  I would expect comments like this to be posted for players like Beckham and Messi for three reasons. 1) They are men  2) They are professionals 3) They are paid a large sum of money in return and its their job.
If we don't allow young players to make mistakes and crucify them when they do they will never learn.  We learn through our mistakes.  As far as the goal haunting him forever.  I assure you it will not.  Johan will process the mistake, learn from it and move on. For ghosts will drag you to an early grave.   Johan has played for the US National Team.  He CHOSE to play for the T&T team.  It was not a decision he took lightly.  He knew he would be making a choice.  He wore the jersey with pride and left his heart on the field.  He loves his teammates and the coaching staff.  It has been a great experience for Johan.  As the Dynamo coaches said today, unlucky goal - looks like it took a bad bounce on the turf but a great performance.  He is young and will only continue to improve.  He works very hard and loves the game!  They are a great group of young men and we look forward to the next opportunity.  Never stop supporting the next generation of young players - for with positive coaching and fans - these boys will get there.  It's only a matter of time.  See you in 2 years...... 

Thank God for people like you in his corner.

We are quick on the criticizing trigger in T&T.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:54:18 AM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2013, 07:14:13 PM »
He now start he has a long way to go. Height will be a problem for him ......we have good keepers will he be better than jan or Phillips?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2013, 07:30:40 PM »
I like de yute, felt for him w/the 2nd goal on Sat, these things happen, only real mistake in a game where the score could have easily been 7 or 8 quite frankly.  But that 2nd goal also was the dagger, these are good life lessons, pick up and move on.  I enjoyed watching these guys last 2 games, hope they keep up and press on; pave ways for their futures
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2013, 10:07:22 PM »
He now start he has a long way to go. Height will be a problem for him ......we have good keepers will he be better than jan or Phillips?

I beg to differ.  Being a tall GK has its advantages, but being short doesn't necessarily make, conversely, for its disadvantages.  I don't know Welch's current height (perhaps his mother can provide that is she feels it's necessary) but at the age of around 17, he still has about 4 years of growth left in him but that's if we really are (to be) concerned with his height.  Yes, he isn't all that tall, but his height has not been a factor in this tournament and look at what a brilliant tournament he had.  Jorge Campos is arguably Mexico's greatest GK (at least in THIS era) and he is only listed at 5' 6"...imagine how short he was at 16-17 (even though he was probably still an outfield player back then) Indeed, we have to look even no further than our very own shores: Michael McComie, as much as he's an asshole of a person and coach, he was truly an excellent GK and he ain't all that tall.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Excellent highlights, Trini_2018! They really show the intensity of the atmosphere. I'm not so sure that these qualifying tournaments should be held in any nation involved in qualifying. I don't care how much prep Panama had, they had the benefit of being en casa.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »
Excellent highlights, Trini_2018! They really show the intensity of the atmosphere. I'm not so sure that these qualifying tournaments should be held in any nation involved in qualifying. I don't care how much prep Panama had, they had the benefit of being en casa.

Did you say the same thing when Jack was arranging these same qualifiers in T&T?

Anyhow as I said in an earlier post, Johan was exceptional and I wish him all the best.  :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 09:20:46 AM »
Fair comment, fordy ... I think most of us recognize that we benefited from hosting. I doh mind host countries as final participants or as non-participants in qualifiers (Brazil in WC 2014), but during qualifying tournaments neutrality adds to the vibe. Of course, a counter-argument concerns whether spectators will show up, but I think quality players bring fans out. Right now in South American qualifying, a lethargic first round Argentina has benefited from local support and a favorable officiating call. But, in South America my contention runs aground based on the fact that all 10 nations are always involved in the qualifying tournament so one inevitably hosts. I don't deny the idealism in my comment, but given the number of nations in CONCACAF it's achievable.

Side note: CONMEBOL is sending a major delegation to this week's CONCACAF meeting in Panama ... several heads of federation from South America will be there. I like the growing ties between both confederations. Good things could flow from this, but if we are not careful it will widen the gap between the capacity of Spanish-speaking Central America and the non-Spanish speaking Caribbean.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 09:53:56 PM »
Tough luck T&T hope the boys use this as motivation and determination to improve. That game could be a tremendous learning experience, playing in a hostile enviornment with everything at stake. These are the moments youths learn from and can help in building character. Didn't see the game but from the highlights it seemed like they left everything on the field and that was good to see and sometimes that's all you can ask for.

The developmental process is a marathon and not a sprint, with youth players in particular it's not always about winning and many of us sometimes get carried away with that. If their team preparation and cohesiveness continues, this team looks like they have the potential to well moving forward :beermug:

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 11:16:31 PM »
I like the yuteman, however I think he moves around a bit to much. He anticipates well, but moves a bit to early. With more sophisticated play[ers] like the last goal it will be easy to finish. A bit more patience is needed.

The thing about goalkeepers is that experience makes a massive difference.

Good Luck.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 05:04:14 AM »
As far as the warning to critics, I will say this.  This is not my first rodeo.  I did not post as some emotional mother but as a former college player and coach who has a deep love for the game.  I would expect comments like this to be posted for players like Beckham and Messi for three reasons. 1) They are men  2) They are professionals 3) They are paid a large sum of money in return and its their job.
If we don't allow young players to make mistakes and crucify them when they do they will never learn.  We learn through our mistakes.  As far as the goal haunting him forever.  I assure you it will not.  Johan will process the mistake, learn from it and move on.  For ghosts will drag you to an early grave.  Johan has played for the US National Team.  He CHOSE to play for the T&T team.  It was not a decision he took lightly.  He knew he would be making a choice.  He wore the jersey with pride and left his heart on the field.  He loves his teammates and the coaching staff.  It has been a great experience for Johan.  As the Dynamo coaches said today, unlucky goal - looks like it took a bad bounce on the turf but a great performance.  He is young and will only continue to improve.  He works very hard and loves the game!  They are a great group of young men and we look forward to the next opportunity.  Never stop supporting the next generation of young players - for with positive coaching and fans - these boys will get there.  It's only a matter of time.  See you in 2 years...... 

michellewelch, with all due respect.

Your son was in my opinion man of the match for T&T and saved us about 6 goals.

But when you say Johan has played for the US National Team.  He CHOSE to play for the T&T team.  It was not a decision he took lightly.

What exactly do you mean?

Are you saying he told USA no and said yes to T&T ?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2013, 08:17:51 AM »
I like the yuteman, however I think he moves around a bit to much. He anticipates well, but moves a bit to early. With more sophisticated play[ers] like the last goal it will be easy to finish. A bit more patience is needed.

Good Luck.

??? ???

Elan......wdf you talkin' 'bout, man?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »

Good Luck.

??? ???

... elan's response (the one that's coming) might surprise you.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:23:49 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 09:48:33 AM »

Good Luck.

??? ???

Quite honestly, Jed, I will only be surprised if what he says (on this particular topic/point/person) is something I can agree with.   :D

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Well-played.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2013, 08:03:50 AM »

Good Luck.

??? ???

:cursing: You's a rel f**kin' set-up man oui!  I hyere on de damned site, trolling whole night lookin' fuh de man, waitin' fuh a explanation....and de two ah allyuh laughin' like hyenas. Loud fackin' steuwps!

:D

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:50:25 AM by Flex »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2013, 08:16:43 AM »
elan padnah ... Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!! Chow waiting. :)

Offline Lifeisgood

• Jr. Warrior
  • Lively Up Yourself!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 08:57:40 AM »
If we don't allow young players to make mistakes and crucify them when they do they will never learn.  We learn through our mistakes.  As far as the goal haunting him forever.  I assure you it will not.  Johan will process the mistake, learn from it and move on.  For ghosts will drag you to an early grave.  Johan has played for the US National Team.  He CHOSE to play for the T&T team.  It was not a decision he took lightly.  He knew he would be making a choice.  He wore the jersey with pride and left his heart on the field.  He loves his teammates and the coaching staff.  It has been a great experience for Johan.  As the Dynamo coaches said today, unlucky goal - looks like it took a bad bounce on the turf but a great performance.  He is young and will only continue to improve.  He works very hard and loves the game!  They are a great group of young men and we look forward to the next opportunity.  Never stop supporting the next generation of young players - for with positive coaching and fans - these boys will get there.  It's only a matter of time.  See you in 2 years...... 

:applause:
I want to nominate this as one of the most sensible posts EVER - on this forum.  Great read.

Young Johan future is indeed bright, as he clearly has a solid core of people around him - that put his best interests first.  "Moms" your points are well articulated and spot on ...hats off.  We should all look forward to and support Johan and all our (committed) youth players, once the don the red, black and white. 

If you watch the game, Johan continued to do an excellent job after the mistake -- other players would have self destructed under the spotlight.  On the play itself, he gambled a little..expecting a cross from that position and was just a half step too slow adjusting his feet to the shot.  Happens.   GK is a lonely position as your mistakes back there can have immediate effect. 

What is more alarming to me, is the fact that our field players could not link 2 - 3 passes together!! What are we doing about that? ...these are NATIONAL team players, that cannot retain possession of the ball..which, in this "Barcelona" era -- looks bad and is hard on the eyes to say the least.  Better team won on the night, as the Panamanian players were more composed in possession and we able to create space and time for themselves.  TT were relying too much on "moments" of individual ability and less on collective/constructive team play.

But again, to keep things on perspective...these are young, amateur players that need our support - they must be saturated with information that will enhance their psychological, technical and tactical development .... which relys on being in a training environment that is conducive to learning. 

When I read some of the interviews from the training/technical staff (including the senior staff) ... their points are poorly articulated and not consistent with what you should expect from a "teacher/instructor" .... so they must be evaluated as well.

Maybe in order to pry Johan away from the US setup .... we should offer Michelle a role with our technical staff?  From the looks and sound of it  --- would not be a bad package deal.

Cheers.
Never be afraid ....
To turn over your uncertain Future
..to our certain God.

Love one another.  Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »

Message here?

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »
Thanks fuh de reggae Asylum seeker.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2013, 11:12:21 PM »
Lifeisgood excellent post breds!

"What is more alarming to me, is the fact that our field players could not link 2 - 3 passes together!! What are we doing about that? ...these are NATIONAL team players, that cannot retain possession of the ball..which, in this "Barcelona" era -- looks bad and is hard on the eyes to say the least.  Better team won on the night, as the Panamanian players were more composed in possession and we able to create space and time for themselves.  TT were relying too much on "moments" of individual ability and less on collective/constructive team play."

I just highlighted that sentence cause somehow I feel what 'we' doing (or at least should be doing) is putting people in positions to get the youth them to be able to do that and more??
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Lifeisgood

• Jr. Warrior
  • Lively Up Yourself!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »
Lifeisgood excellent post breds!

"What is more alarming to me, is the fact that our field players could not link 2 - 3 passes together!! What are we doing about that? ...these are NATIONAL team players, that cannot retain possession of the ball..which, in this "Barcelona" era -- looks bad and is hard on the eyes to say the least.  Better team won on the night, as the Panamanian players were more composed in possession and we able to create space and time for themselves.  TT were relying too much on "moments" of individual ability and less on collective/constructive team play."

I just highlighted that sentence cause somehow I feel what 'we' doing (or at least should be doing) is putting people in positions to get the youth them to be able to do that and more??

We simply need to DEMAND it of our players - find those that can retain possession and develop a system around them.  From U12 age, we should be identifying these types of players and incubating them, so that ball retention is in their DNA....imagine a squad with 3 Latapy's, 2 Anthony Sherwood's, a couple Nakhid's, a Yorke ... throw in a Jamerson for good measure --- and build around that. 

Gone are the days where your central defenders only know 2 things (bruising and clearing) -- all 11 players on the field must be comfortable on the ball. PERIOD.  As I tell players that I am fortunate enough to coach - in this rounds you have to be a goal scorer, a ball winner, or a maestro....anything else is average. 

If playing a squad of players that can retain possession means converting some natural midfielders to defenders, then so be it ---- do it at a young age, where they should be learning ALL the positions and functions on the field.   There should be no "specialists" until they reach 17, 18 ---every player should be EQUALLY capable in at least 2 positions.

That is my 2 cents ...

Bless.
Never be afraid ....
To turn over your uncertain Future
..to our certain God.

Love one another.  Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2013, 01:46:43 PM »

Good Luck.

??? ???

Mango hard luck on de absence. Trying to make some things happen here.

WDF am I talking about?

Well the youth man is good let me start there. However, as I mentioned I noticed a habit that he has. He reads the game really well and gets into position early. For a field player this is brilliant, but for a GK this can be very detrimental. He seems to get caught up in the play (especially when the tempo is high and we are doing a lot of defending) and starts operating like a sweeper instead of a GK.

For me, a GK needs to possess great patience. They need to be able to read the game (which he can), but then they need to possess the discipline and concentration to not commit to the play to early. I like my goalkeepers to live by the mantra "last to leave, first to arrive".  I know he is young and this is not a "negative" rant about the young man, it's just something I noticed. Playing against a keeper like that I will advised my mids or forwards to shoot off the dribble. Because he is moving so much it will be difficult for him to adjust quickly.

Now his movements maybe a direct result of the defense in front of him as they most likely have not fully developed a proper relationship due to a lack of preparation.

A bit basic, let me know if you understand WDF I'm talking about.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »
No scene, elan, self and family always first....better late than never. 

Now...I am not quite sure that I agree with you, but that is if I were even quite sure if I totally understood what you were talking about.  I only had the benefit of seeing him play that one game (in its entirety) against Panama and as far as I saw, in that game, aside from the 1 obvious blunder that we have all already analyzed and (probably) over-analyzed, I don't see that he did or was doing much that needed adjusting.  The one and only thing I noticed was that, for corner and free-kicks for Panama, he didn't seem quite vocal with his teammates....I hardly (if at all) saw him belting out instructions to his defenders....but, I also said there could be any of a number of reasons for that. As far as his "movement" as you describe it...I really don't see what it is you're talking about. Not in that Panama game and not on the goal that you initially mentioned.  GK's are taught to keep themselves relatively positioned to where the ball is in the field of play and that means that the more the ball moves back and forth and/or side to side, the more the GK is going to havta move, too....but I don't think that is what you were talking about either.  I know you say it's basic, but if you could give me any examples, I would appreciate it.  I thought his sense of anticipation was quite exceptional, especially on them one-on-one situations he had.  Again, I only watched one entire game....you may have seen them all and may really have much better insight....   

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2016, 10:54:13 AM »
So have we discarded him???
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2016, 01:15:56 PM »
so is he still interested ?

So have we discarded him???

Good question on both accounts. Anybody with an idea on what happened with him?
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2016, 02:04:05 PM »
Anybody with an idea on what happened with him?

Attends the University of North Carolina.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2016, 02:51:30 PM »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2016, 02:56:56 PM »
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

1]; } ?>