March 28, 2024, 06:52:12 AM

Author Topic: Johan Welch  (Read 11092 times)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Johan Welch
« on: April 13, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
What a wonderful find.

We need to groom him for the senior team.

Should make a best 11 for the current tournament in Panama.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Johan Welch
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:14:57 PM »
small man have some stuff...well played...
it happens
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:16:25 PM »
Gutted for the kid.. he saved our ass throughout though..  good find indeed... reminds me of De Gea, of course he had to make a mistake to justify my comparison lol

Hopefully he stays within the set up

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »
welch is good  ..... the right back is good also gomez... .Akeem Garica played out of position he is a left winger not a striker ....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »
Trinidad has always produced good GK's from Lincoln Phillips to this very day.  We could save/groom/develop him for our senior team and shit eh go change, our defence will still be shit.  I said pretty much the same thing about Tim Howard and Everton some years ago: if the GK is the best player on the team, that team is in trouble from the start.  That being said, Welch being part of the Houston Dynamo acadamy, I expect (if he remains in a good academy system) he will be just fine.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 10:16:54 PM »
Welch better leave Trinidad fast ..if he eh leave arready..dey mad!!

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 10:42:42 PM »

Coache, if you are really an actual coach, then these comments you're making are a good indication why we are struggling. Criticise by all means, but make it constructive, please. Every goalkeeper makes a mistake in their career that costs the team a result. So does every outfield player, but we kinda focus on the keepers.  He knows he made a mistake and it will haunt him forever, but if he's strong he will work on his handling and improve.
The boy is young and by all accounts played very well throughout the campaign. The last thing he needs is to read this kind of negativity.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 10:59:05 PM »
Yo like somebody else post, we was good for about 6, 7 goal tonight if not for him, he had ah lapse in concentration on that goal but he was big on the night!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 11:14:21 PM »

Coache, if you are really an actual coach, then these comments you're making are a good indication why we are struggling. Criticise by all means, but make it constructive, please. Every goalkeeper makes a mistake in their career that costs the team a result. So does every outfield player, but we kinda focus on the keepers.  He knows he made a mistake and it will haunt him forever, but if he's strong he will work on his handling and improve.
The boy is young and by all accounts played very well throughout the campaign. The last thing he needs is to read this kind of negativity.
I hope coache drink ah two juice dat have him getting on so, if he under normal vibes, well I just don't know...credibility is ah hell of ah ting yes ;)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 05:25:07 AM »
Fyzo, de man already self-flagellating on another thread, yuh go kick him when he down? :rotfl:

michellewelch

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 08:06:26 AM »
You have no heart!  Lets not forget all the great saves he made!  Score would have been 6-2 without his outstanding performance!!!  And that's being generous.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 08:23:14 AM »
You have no heart!  Lets not forget all the great saves he made!  Score would have been 6-2 without his outstanding performance!!!  And that's being generous.

Michelle, I don't know if you're Johan's mother, sister, cousin (I'm pretty sure you're not his wife lol) Welcome to professional football! Unfortunately, there will always be "supporters" who will blame a player disproportionally for a poor result. There will be times that Johan has a very poor game, it happens, and he will receive licks. It's not easy to be a footballers relative! I have sat in stadiums with many players parents and the joy and pride they felt when their boy played well cannot offset the hurt when 30,000 fans are abusing or mocking him.

Supporters are fickle, but most of them are fair.

I recall when Beckham was sent off for England and the whole country blamed him for Englands defeat. There were even effigies of Beckham being hanged in his home town. Now he is the most successful footballer financially, even above Messi and Ronaldo.

I believe Johan will enjoy a successful career, but a lot is dependent on his personal strength and the love and support of his family. Many footballers I know do not read the press. They know if they played well or performed badly. You guys need to be his strength and this experience will only make him stronger.

If you had time, you could search on this site for criticism of great T&T goalkeepers like Clayton Ince, Shaka Hislop, Kelvin Jack, Jan -Michael Williams, Marvin Phillip. It goes with the territory of goalkeepers and, no doubt, explains why all goalkeepers are a little crazy lol

Keep the faith, Michelle. In a few months time everyone will be loving Johan again!!

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 08:24:50 AM »
Credit must be given where its due ... so to johan welch your performance last night was outstanding ...continue your hardwork and thankyou along with all of your team mates keep your heads up keep courage young warriors .....don't dispair  young man....

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 08:34:51 AM »
This young man has shown his stuff and it bodes well for TnT ; I applaud players who make the sacrifice to bring honour to our nation as oppose to the Zamoras and Deleons who feel like they could help TnT ransom until something else come alone. ( Not to mention K Clemmot in 400 meters track)
We should be encouraging and  supporting those overseas players who are making full use of the opportunity. Look given his age, this player could well chose to represent USA after his exposure here but let us think that given teh support, love and desire that he would have a heart to be  a WARRIOR!!!

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 08:48:15 AM »

M Welch, I'll presume you are his mum.
Your son was huge last night. Were it not for him, TT would
have been down 2 in the first 20 minutes.
Kudos to you for allowing him to play for the country of your
birth, or your husband's birth. As others on this thread have
said, I too hope he stays a Trini, and represents for the U20,
and Olympic team.
The Dynamo have coached him well, and credit to them for
recognizing his talent.
As far as the critics go, you have to realize it comes with
the territory, and be bigger 'dan dat'.

Continued success to your son!

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 09:03:29 AM »
I interpreted this:

as a negative reflection of the TTFF and Trinidad's football setup, ie. that if Welch stays within the T&T setup, he will not maximise his potential. I suspect Coache echoes all the sentiments in this thread (Coache, correct me if I'm wrong).

In any case, there is no doubt that Welch is very talented and has a bright future ahead. Michelle, please pass our best wishes on to him  :beermug:

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 09:08:15 AM »

Dont let one fool upset you , We are all behind Johan who was my MVP for the tournament along with Fortune

Please pass on our congratulations to him

Cheers

giggsy11

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 09:08:26 AM »
I interpreted this:

as a negative reflection of the TTFF and Trinidad's football setup, ie. that if Welch stays within the T&T setup, he will not maximise his potential. I suspect Coache echoes all the sentiments in this thread (Coache, correct me if I'm wrong).

In any case, there is no doubt that Welch is very talented and has a bright future ahead. Michelle, please pass our best wishes on to him  :beermug:

Good call dey Boss, I agree with that interpretation.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 09:15:13 AM »
Well, I for one wasn't sure just quite how "coache" meant for his comment to be interpreted but I left sat shit alone...."leave Trinidad" why? Why would he "leave Trinidad" when we all (at least SHOULD) already know that he does not reside or play in Trinidad or is under any structural or developmental program of any Trinidad institution.  Don't we all already know that he lives in Houston and plays for the Houston Dynamo Academy?  How could he "leave Trinidad" from there?

***************unless he mean "doh waste he time playing fuh Trinidad again"

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »
Soca Warriors MVP of the tournament. Performance was outstanding and was very consistent throughout. Very good reader of the game. Very agile and nimble. Good at reading angles. Restarts are very good. Will be a very good professional in the future. Future star in the making. Keep working on your game.

God bless.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
... I'll tell you what I know: a few days ago I noticed a new forumite named "michellewelch", and I said to myself "hmmm, Welch? Unlikely coincidence." And when critical comments started to emerge after Game 1, I thought it was only a matter of time before introductions were made :). Soccer relatives 101.

Here's how I view Johan's participation: :applause: ... And a take-away seems to be that it should awaken us to the need for developing young GK talent on both islands. It would be a shame if we failed to recognize that Johan's presence meant he was the best available to us and that we have wuk to do to cultivate a cohort of age group GKs.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 12:47:17 PM »
I watched a Euro Nations Cup final some yrs ago between France and Spain. That time Platini was the big star in Euro. He took a free and the Spanish GK(I can't remember his name, and at that time one of the best in Euro), allowed one like Johan to pass under him. ALMOST EXACTLY. Johan is a good gk. He looked kind of short, but his positional play and his timing coming out was extemely good trhuout this tournament. I hope he will be around for the U-20 and the Rio Olimpics. That will be our WC.

Now, as per coache's comment. I want to believe he was joking or trying to be tongue in cheek. I WANT TO BELIEVE he did not mean what he wrote. But I do not know or I am not sure. Many a foreign player has  rep TT, especially youth, and after the tournament they are let down by the TTFF modus operandi. This present TTFF foundation is currently made of JELLO. Just read the current alleged allegations against Jack and TTFF concerning the missing funds for the 2006 WC. Maybe coache is trying to say, "Johan, keep your options open". Just like Nick Deleon is doing. And just like Bobby Zamora and Kerron Clement did in the past. Talk to the Great Ato Bolden about his experiences.

Mums Welch, you married to a Trini. He probably told you how we Trinis does kiss we Heroes today and fire-hydrant them, tomorrow. Have some more patience, PLZ. You have made a good Trini Son. Blessings
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:55:20 PM by Deeks »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 01:10:43 PM »
I watched a Euro Nations Cup final some yrs ago between France and Spain. That time Platini was the big star in Euro. He took a free and the Spanish GK(I can't remember his name, and at that time one of the best in Euro)

Luis Arconada is the name yuh lookin' for. Spanish goalkeeping legend and predecessor to another Spanish and Barcelona goalkeeping legend, Andoni Zubizarreta 

michellewelch

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 02:04:06 PM »
Thank you for the kind posts.  I will leave you with this.
As far as the warning to critics, I will say this.  This is not my first rodeo.  I did not post as some emotional mother but as a former college player and coach who has a deep love for the game.  I would expect comments like this to be posted for players like Beckham and Messi for three reasons. 1) They are men  2) They are professionals 3) They are paid a large sum of money in return and its their job.
If we don't allow young players to make mistakes and crucify them when they do they will never learn.  We learn through our mistakes.  As far as the goal haunting him forever.  I assure you it will not.  Johan will process the mistake, learn from it and move on.  For ghosts will drag you to an early grave.  Johan has played for the US National Team.  He CHOSE to play for the T&T team.  It was not a decision he took lightly.  He knew he would be making a choice.  He wore the jersey with pride and left his heart on the field.  He loves his teammates and the coaching staff.  It has been a great experience for Johan.  As the Dynamo coaches said today, unlucky goal - looks like it took a bad bounce on the turf but a great performance.  He is young and will only continue to improve.  He works very hard and loves the game!  They are a great group of young men and we look forward to the next opportunity.  Never stop supporting the next generation of young players - for with positive coaching and fans - these boys will get there.  It's only a matter of time.  See you in 2 years...... 

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »
I watched a Euro Nations Cup final some yrs ago between France and Spain. That time Platini was the big star in Euro. He took a free and the Spanish GK(I can't remember his name, and at that time one of the best in Euro), allowed one like Johan to pass under him. ALMOST EXACTLY. Johan is a good gk. He looked kind of short, but his positional play and his timing coming out was extemely good trhuout this tournament. I hope he will be around for the U-20 and the Rio Olimpics. That will be our WC.

Now, as per coache's comment. I want to believe he was joking or trying to be tongue in cheek. I WANT TO BELIEVE he did not mean what he wrote. But I do not know or I am not sure. Many a foreign player has  rep TT, especially youth, and after the tournament they are let down by the TTFF modus operandi. This present TTFF foundation is currently made of JELLO. Just read the current alleged allegations against Jack and TTFF concerning the missing funds for the 2006 WC. Maybe coache is trying to say, "Johan, keep your options open". Just like Nick Deleon is doing. And just like Bobby Zamora and Kerron Clement did in the past. Talk to the Great Ato Bolden about his experiences.

Mums Welch, you married to a Trini. He probably told you how we Trinis does kiss we Heroes today and fire-hydrant them, tomorrow. Have some more patience, PLZ. You have made a good Trini Son. Blessings

exactly what crossed my mind when the goal scored. Fact is the young keeper kept T&T in the game in the first half, with some amazing saves. The defense simply could not contain Panama 10 and 18 who's movement and combinations had the backline chasing shadows. Right after the unfortunate goal, he made a brilliant double save and then save yet another break away. This for me shows strong mental character. He has the potential to go far. Good luck too him
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:13:05 PM by Observer »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »
As far as the warning to critics, I will say this.  This is not my first rodeo.  I did not post as some emotional mother but as a former college player and coach who has a deep love for the game.  I would expect comments like this to be posted for players like Beckham and Messi for three reasons. 1) They are men  2) They are professionals 3) They are paid a large sum of money in return and its their job.
If we don't allow young players to make mistakes and crucify them when they do they will never learn.  We learn through our mistakes.  As far as the goal haunting him forever.  I assure you it will not.  Johan will process the mistake, learn from it and move on.  For ghosts will drag you to an early grave.  Johan has played for the US National Team.  He CHOSE to play for the T&T team.  It was not a decision he took lightly.  He knew he would be making a choice.  He wore the jersey with pride and left his heart on the field.  He loves his teammates and the coaching staff.  It has been a great experience for Johan.  As the Dynamo coaches said today, unlucky goal - looks like it took a bad bounce on the turf but a great performance.  He is young and will only continue to improve.  He works very hard and loves the game!  They are a great group of young men and we look forward to the next opportunity.  Never stop supporting the next generation of young players - for with positive coaching and fans - these boys will get there.  It's only a matter of time.  See you in 2 years...... 
*APPLAUSE*

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »
The GK prove his worth and quality last night nobody should be saying anything negative about this kid.That  goal that got past him was as a result of the surface..that kind of surface does that..he had a fabulous game.
Fire de Staff get new people in there now!!!

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »
I didnot realize he lives in Houston but I was quite impressed with young Welch. I will give him Man of the match. The loss could have been disastrous without him. He had to work too hard as a GK hence the easy goal. Shit happens in football all the time. He has a great future ahead! Kudos!

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »
Standout performance by johan  welch .... :applause:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 03:03:17 PM »
Best young keeper i see in a while. Really gifted
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>