April 29, 2024, 09:09:54 AM

Author Topic: Calypsonians pay tribute to Jus Come  (Read 846 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Calypsonians pay tribute to Jus Come
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:40:49 AM »

Calypsonians pay tribute to Jus Come

Published:

Monday, April 15, 2013

Calypsonian and spiritual elder John Howell Walcott fondly known as Jus Come.

Wheelchair-bound widow Maureen Walcott, fondly known as Lady Irie, wept as a small crowd of mourners streamed past at the funeral service of her spouse—calypsonian and spiritual elder—John Howell Walcott (Jus Come). They stopped to offer condolences and words of comfort to Walcott at St Francis Spiritual Baptist  Church, Huggins Street, Tacarigua, on Friday.

Among those who had gathered to pay their respects were Tuco president Lutalo Masimba, calypsonians Ann Marie Parks-Kojo (Twiggy) and Wilfred Barker, 75, (King Creole). They were joined by his children Steve and Marcia and officiating  Bishop Mervyn Bescilio. During his remarks, Masimba said: “In calypso, we tend to judge a book by how many crowns somebody won. We put a rank to it. But if it wasn’t for the foot soldiers like Jus Come, the men who held it together like glue, I wonder how many crowns others could have won.

We give honour and glory to the foot soldiers like Jus Come.” Masimba added: “He made the music. He wrote the songs that were sung by the singers. People did not even know they were singing his songs. It is God who gave singers the music. We celebrate him as a calypsonian. By calypso our stories are told.”

Among his repertoire was Cut The Bush sung by New York-based Dr Picou and arranged by Mt Lambert-based Sir Leston Paul. Walcott won the Roxborough, Tobago, monarch title in 1982. Bescilio said: “I always made sure he had cigarette. And a little change. We were tight.” Turning to Walcott, he said “Be strong.”

RIP  bro you came make your contribution and left silently .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Re: Calypsonians pay tribute to Jus Come
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:59:07 AM »
wow! RIP John.... One of the fellas i knew. Condolences to his family and friends.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 06:35:05 PM »
I did not know the guy. But RIP.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »