April 28, 2024, 04:10:14 AM

Author Topic: Don't forget Marvin  (Read 2614 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Don't forget Marvin
« on: March 08, 2013, 01:32:28 AM »
Captain Marvin forgotten too soon
Thursday, March 7 2013
T&T Newsday

THE EDITOR: On March 20, 2001, an 18-year-old man went into battle for Trinidad and Tobago and went down in the line of duty courageously defending his country.

He sustained neck and spinal injuries and was paralyzed from the neck down. All his physical prowess and potential…. paralysed. Though unable to physically walk, he walked stronger than ever in faith. He prayed and was resolute in his faith that one day he would again defend Trinidad and Tobago. On March 9, 2003 at 21 years, he died. On that day our nation mourned his death and celebrated his life — gone too soon. With each passing year of his death it seemed that he had also been — forgotten too soon.

Who is this boy who paid the ultimate sacrifice while defending his country, Trinidad and Tobago? He was a courageous captain — The former U-20 football captain Marvin Lee.

As his ten-year anniversary nears on Saturday March 9, 2013 how will we defend his memory as he once defended us? Dawn Warrick continues to grieve for a son she buried ten years ago. She grieves not only because she lost her firstborn but because her son would not be remembered for who he was and for defending his country.

Who will stand with his mother to tell the story every year of a champion in body and in faith and in death? How will we respectfully preserve the history of a quiet, loving boy who from Mon Repos Road in Morvant worked hard to earn the title of Trinidad and Tobago captain and ultimately gave his live defending his country?

Who will stand in defence of Marvin Lee and his memory?

Caryl Hamilton
Tacarigua

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:36:09 AM by Flex »
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Don't forget Marvin
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:19:48 AM »
There will be a Pro league double header at Marvin Lee Stadium tonight and there will be a minutes silence before the first game.

Rest in Peace, Marvin Lee.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 07:33:54 AM »
A page I had built in dedication of Marvin Lee back in the days.

See Here

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline ragga

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 08:49:28 AM »
Gone but NOT Forgotten !

RIP Brother Marvin !!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:27:01 AM »

See Here

Nice page Flex. Of course, I knew of Marvin, but until I read your page, I was aware of the details. Does anyone know if the Foundation still exists and if it's being funded in the manner described?

Respect to Jack Warner for taking responsibility and the efforts he made to help Marvin and the family.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »
I miss the old site, to me it was more informative and easier to navigate. All news and information was related as well, like the U17 page had links to other related U17 stuff. With the new site there is no link except for the above menu.

Good job Flex with the ML page.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:05:24 AM »

See Here

Nice page Flex. Of course, I knew of Marvin, but until I read your page, I was aware of the details. Does anyone know if the Foundation still exists and if it's being funded in the manner described?

Respect to Jack Warner for taking responsibility and the efforts he made to help Marvin and the family.

Yep, I'll give Jack he props on dat one.  :beermug:
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 08:15:26 AM »

See Here

He cry like a baby in the funeral.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 10:39:26 AM »

See Here

He cry like a baby in the funeral.

All of that don't mean a damned thing.  The hard thing to do isn't to "do right" by a family in grief, given all the resources jack was in control of all them years.  Do right for your country and your people as a whole, not just when it "looks good" or when it's easy to cry.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 04:44:24 AM »
Marvin Lee’s mother feels sorry for Jack
By STEPHON NICHOLAS (NEWSDAY).

Dawn Warrick, mother of the late national Under-20 football captain, Marvin Lee, says she feels sorry for former Concacaf president Jack Warner as allegations of corruption during his tenure surfaced at Friday’s Concacaf Congress and ultimately cost him his post as National Security Minister.

Warner has also resigned as chairman of the United National Congress.

Warrick, whose son was paralysed while playing for Trinidad and Tobago in an Under-20 World Cup qualifier against the United States in 2001, said she will always be grateful for the support Warner gave to her son following his injury.

Lee collided with American Landon Donovan on the field of play in March 2001 and suffered a career-ending neck injury. Warner and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) spared no expenses in taking care of Lee’s medical bills as well as assisting in his rehabilitation. But yesterday Warrick said she was shocked to witness Warner’s fall from grace.

“I was a bit taken aback (with the news). I felt a bit hurt and sorry for him...I will remember him as someone who was honest and helpful. I think the whole of Trinidad and Tobago knows he was there for my son,” she said.

Warrick noted, however, that despite all he does done for football in the region, with these new developments, Warner’s image has been tainted.

“People must remember that everything you do will come back to haunt you,” she declared.

Read More

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 06:19:04 AM »
Jack did the right thing by Marvin Lee. But even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Two of Britain's most vicious and notorious criminals, the Kray Twins, were loved by the East End community and viewed like Robin Hood figures, always giving money to the old and the poor while ruling the London underworld with sadistic and callous violence. Their funerals through the streets of the East End saw 10's of thousands lining the streets.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35:23 AM »
Jack did the right thing by Marvin Lee. But even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Two of Britain's most vicious and notorious criminals, the Kray Twins, were loved by the East End community and viewed like Robin Hood figures, always giving money to the old and the poor while ruling the London underworld with sadistic and callous violence. Their funerals through the streets of the East End saw 10's of thousands lining the streets.

We have Dole Chadee so we accustom 2 them crook who their community luv.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »
Pablo Escobar and we own Crab from San Juan. I had no issue with him naming the stadium after Marvin. I also thought that the gov't should help a lot more. After all, this young man was on national duty.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:37:08 AM by Deeks »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 12:31:12 PM »

OK, I now stand corrected. Today on I95, Lasana said that the U.S. Soccer Federation paid all of Marvin Lee's medical expenses and FIFA supplied Marvins wheelchair.

If that is true, then I can't believe Warner can be that shameless to take credit for something he didn't do concerning a boys struggle for life.

Also, the team had no insurance, so why did Jack not make sure the boys were protected? Jack takes credit for asking the Army to release Marvin for the game, yet he never took responsibility to ensure the team had medical insurance.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »
Yeah boy I heard that too....nasty, stinking, dutty, ole vampire......may his days in hell fire be hotter and longer than everyone else..... :pissedoff: :pissedoff: :cursing: :cursing: :puking:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>