April 23, 2024, 11:48:33 PM

Author Topic: Coursera  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Coursera
« on: May 01, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »
Anybody ever take courses at https://www.coursera.org/ ?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Coursera
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:09:47 PM »
Yep. Wha yuh need to find out bout?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »

Jes wondering about de quality of de content, and if at de end of de day yuh find it was useful?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »

Jes wondering about de quality of de content, and if at de end of de day yuh find it was useful?

Its interesting. It would vary by courses but its essentially the value you attach to what you learn as you dont get much in terms of tangible reward. I did one on Medical Diagnosis which opened up my mind to how to do my job a bit better in terms of dealing with patient complaints. I did one as well with statistics....doing another on dogs.

Its worth a shot....no money spent and if you dont have the time (like I dont generally) you could just not complete it or complete it on your own pace. What you looking at doing?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 06:44:56 AM »

I did one on Medical Diagnosis which opened up my mind to how to do my job a bit better in terms of dealing with patient complaints. .......doing another on dogs.

err, I'm hoping this is not a symbiotic link in your profession

Tallman lookin for de course in how to schmooze rich cougars
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 06:57:26 AM »

I did one on Medical Diagnosis which opened up my mind to how to do my job a bit better in terms of dealing with patient complaints. .......doing another on dogs.

Nah not exactly.

At the moment I work as an EMT. So that was the medical diagnosis.
The dogs...I have had problems with pets and their eagerness to reproduce..so I hope the course gives me ideas of how to deal with it effectively.
Statistics...well I like trying to pick sense out of nonsense.

All in all its for just the knowledge as I said. So once I see a course I would be kinda interested in I sign up for it. Again..you not getting anything like a certificate or something generally that would aid you in employment or something...its just for your own interests as you find use for it. So my choices may seem random...but...so are my interests.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:00:10 AM »

Nah not exactly.

At the moment I work as an EMT. So that was the medical diagnosis.
The dogs...I have had problems with pets and their eagerness to reproduce..so I hope the course gives me ideas of how to deal with it effectively.
Statistics...well I like trying to pick sense out of nonsense.

All in all its for just the knowledge as I said. So once I see a course I would be kinda interested in I sign up for it. Again..you not getting anything like a certificate or something generally that would aid you in employment or something...its just for your own interests as you find use for it. So my choices may seem random...but...so are my interests.

glad to hear what yuh say about learning to diagnosis, because I have to to say, I have a very low opinion of EMTs in trini, couple incidents make me wonder if dey properly train alyuh ....especially in attempting revive and stabilizing victims  or even how to properly handle injuries where paralysis is ah distinct possibility, because I see some EMTs in action and lets jus say is bess d person did dead instantly in one case and dey drop ah next victim musbe three time putting dem on a gurny to take dem away.........dat person had ah heart attack and was visibly unconscious....could not tell if she was breathing, but never saw checks for pulse or heart beat or anything else before they carted her away.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:03:01 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:23:55 AM »
In defence of the EMT's we operate under a lot of challenges.

And given the system and scope of practice we given.....there isnt much we could do after a cardiac arrest aside from CPR..and depending on the time between the onset of arrest and CPR...the odds slim. They often say we not supposed to diagnose in the field so yeah...that adds to a lot of people just going through the motions.

I prefer to focus on the presentation and give the doctor/nurse info best suited for them. I probably could go and do medicine now..just the time investment to study full time for 7 years has me a bit skeptical...I went through enough.

Coursera is good for me because compared to normal school...I could zone it out when I eh in de mood for it...and I still learning constantly so its good. If I could do a full med degree like that I'd be happy..buh...it not possible.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 09:07:07 AM »

And given the system and scope of practice we given.....

dat is what I tinking....alyuh does even have a defibrillation in d ambulance..............because my ting is I see incidents reported that suggest accident victims and heart attack victims would survive in similar situations u describe, if they were in d states or other developed countries, Fabrice Muamba comes quickly to mind,  is d same deal with we police only basic training AFAICT
I pity the fool....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 09:46:49 AM »

And given the system and scope of practice we given.....

dat is what I tinking....alyuh does even have a defibrillation in d ambulance..............because my ting is I see incidents reported that suggest accident victims and heart attack victims would survive in similar situations u describe, if they were in d states or other developed countries, Fabrice Muamba comes quickly to mind,  is d same deal with we police only basic training AFAICT

Yes there is a defibrillator.

The window for survival after a heart attack is approx 15 min. In that 15 min you need the onset of CPR and Defibrillation. Hardly ever often you get both occuring at the same time. Keep in mind that unlike many countries...we dont have defibrillators in many public buildings for use in circumstances like these.

Also wrt the scope of practice..as EMT's we cant administer drugs. Paramedics have the ability to inject with adrenaline to help stimulate the heart...and along with defibrillation that increases the odds of survival. We can only do CPR and defib and rapidly transport. Legislation doesnt exist for Paramedics to function as that is considered Advanced Life Support and we provide Basic Life Support. Getting it implemented is a next long political problem...and ego-centric one because I could also tell you that in the eyes of many within the health service we seen as not deserving of respect.

So imagine we come on a scene as quickly as we can....and find a person laying on the ground and everybody standing up watching. No CPR in progress. No pulse. Asystole on the Defibrillator. In that stage there is nothing we could really do. Some may chance it..but speaking from personal experience....after you put down 15-20 min of CPR  while using a BVM in the back of a rapidly moving ambulance over the Lady Young, and gotten 1 shock in because the machine wont shock unless it sees a shockable rhythm and rush into a hospital recuss room...and a doctor asks..."How long you doing CPR now? How long was the person unresponsive? Well then there's nothing we could do."...what again can we really do? Another time we were right around the corner from a call...total response time was 2 minutes.....I got two shocks in and we got to hospital in 9 minutes and they still pronouced her DOA. Our system allows us to do only so much.

To summarise:

1) Fabrice Muamba had defib access and quality CPR to do the work of his heart which was what helped bring him back. I remember hearing of one instance a paramedic got a heart attack on a scene and his partner had to do everything and he was without a pulse for 68 minutes. They had an automated CPR machine to do the compressions and deliver breaths and the AED along with the adrenaline injections kept the window open. It possible when all the things available. Not all the time all the options available.

2) There is a drive on to teach compressions only CPR on May 22nd locally. The company coming to your workplace to teach it as well. Check me for more info..because people have a habit of expecting us to work miracles when we really cant do anything. If cardiac arrest suspected...then at least give us something to work with. And trust me....delivering quality CPR isnt easy.

3) A defib doesnt start or restart the heart. Its a common misconception and people expect that from TV. A defib is just like pressing the reset button on a wireless router...it causes the heart to reset somewhat and regain normal rhythm. If a router has no power to it...pressing the reset button wont give it power. One time we went on a scene where a man hung himself. They found him and we reach 10 min after they found him. They were unable to say how long he was hanging there and expected us to shock and everything would come back to normal. In a case like that there's nothing we could do.

4) EMS is one of the most challenging and unappreciated services locally. Do it for a few months..or a year if you able...and yuh get to realise that it eh easy out there. And take it from me when I say while there are some who may appear lackadastical....there are some that despite trying their best stymied by how things are above our level and our scope of operation.

5) Coursera supposed to have a course on CPR and Resuscitation sciene starting in a few weeks. Check it out. I already signed up for it.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »
thanks for the information bro...I appreciate that you took the time to flesh it out the way you did....I have a better understanding of the constraints u face.....will also check out these courses...........I have actually been reading up on CPR and ways of dealing with gun shot injuries to increase survival chances, so I will have a look......thanks again
I pity the fool....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 10:23:07 AM »
thanks for the information bro...I appreciate that you took the time to flesh it out the way you did....I have a better understanding of the constraints u face.....will also check out these courses...........I have actually been reading up on CPR and ways of dealing with gun shot injuries to increase survival chances, so I will have a look......thanks again

Gunshot injuries and any penetrating trauma: Stop bleeding to prevent hypovolemic shock...provide supplemental oxygen and rapid transport. The stopping the beeding very important. Especially as a lay person that might be all you can do cause you may not have oxygen. Keep pressure on the wound and reduce blood loss.

And with the info...is no scene. I love this job...although I dont see myself able to make a living off it, I'd still do it part time if given the chance. Knowledge is power..the more people learn the better.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »
What you looking at doing?

Maybe someting in Nutrition. Ah go check out dey catalog and see what dey offer.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »
Anybody ever take courses at https://www.coursera.org/ ?

I've completed 5. I've started many more and dropped the classes due to lack of interest/time. Of the many I would say that only 1 person was a bad teacher. In terms of subject matter I would say they are on the light side.   

The evaluation could be more rigorous: it's sometimes a little bit too easy to pass the quizzes without watching the lectures or doing the suggested reading. So it's easy to get lazy. But I guess they are improving in this regard all the time.   

I've found the edx and udacity courses to be more substantive but they don't have the wide selection that Coursera has.

https://www.edx.org/
https://www.udacity.com/

Udacity courses don't have deadlines which is both good and bad.

If you are just looking for instruction without certification you might want to check out the Itunes U section in itunes.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 05:52:30 PM »
I'm in 2 right now. One is perfect for me. Just the right amount of challenge and the structured deadlines is very helpful and useful. Four professors from Rice came together for this one programming course and it is great. Forces me to put in the 7+ hrs each week even when I tell myself I don't have time. The other one just started and I don't know if he threw us in on the deep end or what. I'd look at the schools offering them too. I think they supposed to be actual courses at the schools, and I know they ent giving away credits at certain schools.

1]; } ?>