April 23, 2024, 12:15:21 AM

Author Topic: Playmaker Jake Thomson made for Newport County  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Playmaker Jake Thomson made for Newport County
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:51:35 AM »
Playmaker made for Rodney Parade
By Chris Kirwan (South Wales Argus)

BOSS Justin Edinburgh believes the signing of Jake Thomson will show the value of the Rodney Parade groundshare to Newport County fans.

The 23-year-old Trinidad and Tobago midfielder penned a deal with the Exiles on Monday night along with powerful striker Jefferson Louis.

Thomson signed a one-year deal after catching Edinburgh’s eye when County locked horns with Forest Green Rovers in the Conference and FA Trophy last season.

And the manager believes the style of the former Southampton player is tailor-made for the Parade which, despite having to accommodate three teams, is likely to be a more favourable surface than that at the much-criticised Spytty Park.

“I’ve made no secret of the fact that the pitch forced us to go from the back to the front more quickly than we would have liked last season,” said Edinburgh.

“That will change because of the stadium move and Jake, who really understands this level of football, will be an important part of that.

“He is an excellent passer and will sit in front of the back four and get the ball moving.

“Jake likes to get it down and play and the likes of Lee Minshull, Max Porter and Lee Evans are all also good on the ball.”

Louis has had enough clubs to stretch over two pages on his CV – County are his 26th – but Edinburgh is also delighted to be reunited with the 33-year-old, who was under his control at Rushden and Diamonds in 2009.

“While his best season in terms of goals may have come at Wrexham (15 in 42 games), his best football came under me at Rushden,” said the manager, who attempted to bring the forward to Spytty Park at the end of last season only to be denied by budgetary constraints.

“I know Jefferson very well and he is a good character who loves his football and comes here after playing a big part in Lincoln moving away from the relegation zone.

“People may look at the amount of clubs that he has had but they should also take note of the goals that he has scored as well.

“Jefferson is big, physical and athletic so some presume he is just a target man, but not only does he bring his teammates into play but he knows how to find the back of the net.

“He is an experienced player who will be a big influence in the development of Jake Harris and Ryan Charles but, more importantly, he will play a major role himself out in the middle.”

The Exiles expect to rubber-stamp more signings over the coming week.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Playmaker Jake Thomson made for Newport County
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 10:57:04 AM »
good luck kid

real free fall club wise....but so it goes
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jake Thomson fires warning to Exiles' rivals
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
Jake Thomson fires warning to Exiles' rivals
By Andrew Penman

NEWPORT County new boy Jake Thomson has sent out a warning to the rest of the Blue Square Bet Premier, insisting the Exiles are not scared of anyone in the division.

Thomson and teammates kick off their Conference campaign with a daunting trip to promotion favourites Mansfield Town on August 11.

County were beaten 5-0 at Field Mill last season but the midfield ace says the Stags could be in for a shock this time round.

“We shouldn’t be scared of anyone,” said Thomson. “We’ve got to play them. It’s 11 versus 11 and we want to get into the position where teams are worrying about what we’re going to do rather than the other way round.

“Mansfield is nothing to be scared of. Players in this dressing room have played at places like Sheffield Wednesday so Mansfield shouldn’t scare anyone.”

The 23-year-old former Southampton player is a full international with Trinidad & Tobago and he’s been impressed with what he has seen since joining County from Forest Green Rovers last month.

“It’s a completely different team from the one I played against last year, though I do remember Pipey trying to kick me,” he added.

“I’m glad I’m on his side now but the ball’s gone up a couple of times in training and I’ve had to back off because I’ve seen him coming!   

“We’re starting to play how I like to play – getting the ball down and passing it. Obviously it’s a transition because last year the pitch at Spytty Park they had to go long ball but we’re changing that.”

Thomson is full of praise for manager Justin Edinburgh and his new teammates and believes the team will improve on last season’s 19th-place finish.

“It’s such a tight knit group. I’ve had a great welcome here and it’s a fun place to be around,” he said.

“It’s a new team and it seems like everyone is starting from a clean slate. The management is great and it’s one of the best team spirits I’ve known.

“We don’t want to be anywhere near what happened last year and I don’t think we will be but we won’t be setting ourselves any silly targets. We’ll be taking one game at a time and making sure we get off to a good start.”

l Entry for the home friendly against Merthyr Town on Friday, July 27, at Rodney Parade will be £6 for adults and free for under-16s.

l The August Bank Holiday home fixture against Hereford United has been rearranged from Monday, August 27, to Tuesday, August 28 (kick-off 7.45pm), at the request of Gwent Police.

And the away fixture at Wrexham on Saturday, September 1, will now kick off at 1pm on the advice of North Wales Police.

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
This player was branded bad by Anton Corneal and despite being only a kid he may never play for T&T again, because Anton does not like him.

He made one mistake and it was not a big one but he is in the bad books of a man who is very spitefull.

And you guys here feel Jack Warner was bad.

Thomson was just a kid when he played for T&T and was just to playfull while in T&T colors, horsing around a bit to much for Anton likeness, something I did not see a big deal, Jack was the one who got this kid his passport and brought him to T&T.

He has great potential.

Jack will rise again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »
This player was branded bad by Anton Corneal and despite being only a kid he may never play for T&T again, because Anton does not like him.

He made one mistake and it was not a big one but he is in the bad books of a man who is very spitefull.

And you guys here feel Jack Warner was bad.

Thomson was just a kid when he played for T&T and was just to playfull while in T&T colors, horsing around a bit to much for Anton likeness, something I did not see a big deal, Jack was the one who got this kid his passport and brought him to T&T.

He has great potential.

Jack will rise again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been reading about his 'attitude problems' since he was at Southampton. Anton ain't the only one who let him go. In fact he seem to have a history of being let go. Shrug.

Would be nice if he live up to whatever promise he have, though.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

1]; } ?>