April 27, 2024, 11:15:28 PM

Author Topic: Why are there no Pro League teams in Tobago?  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Debbie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Why are there no Pro League teams in Tobago?
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
I'm sorry if someone asked before but why are there no Pro League teams in Tobago?

Doesn't sport exist in Tobago why aren't the Minister of Sports not aiding Tobago and there are so many athletes that represent T&T that's from there.

I have a family member who plays for Stokley Vale and I can tell you first hand that they get pissed on.

I am very hurt with Mr Anil Roberts and Peter Grandville.

Grandville cannot keep the Tobago United team and refused to sell it. This is selffish and bad mind.

Dexter Skeene could push the issue as well, no?

Does anyone know when, what time and where is the next W Connection game? me and a few girl friends are planing to go check out a game.

I also need to know how one could apply to be a Carib Girl ?

Thank you in advace.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why are there no Pro League teams in Tobago?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:14:28 AM »
Tobago is only 12 miles away from Toco and is probably only another 10-15 miles to Sangre Grande where North east united is based.

Tobago players could easily play for Northeast , that is only a 30 mile distance.

maybe we just need better transportation rather than a team in every community.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:18:14 AM »
Last Tobago team was reeaaal bad. Dont know the reason for no replacement though.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:34:33 AM »

me and a few girl friends are planing to go check out a game.

I also need to know how one could apply to be a Carib Girl ?

Thank you in advace.

Sen allyuh hottest pictures to me, I will make sure they get to the right people @ Carib
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:35:37 AM »
The main issue is that of travel. Most teams in the Pro League don't want the expense of traveling to Tobago. Also, a Tobago team would have a big disadvantage as their travel bill would be very high compared to other teams.

Central have signed 4 Tobagonians this season. There is real talent there. We signed Mitchell in January and by March he was in the National team. Winchester will be next. I also believe that Omar Charles and Dario Holmes played U17 for T&T. Both are good solid defenders and still not 21.

I'm certain that when the ProLeague board votes on teams that enter, travel costs go against the Bago teams.

From Central's point of view, as much as I believe there should be a team from Tobago, it is a cost we could do without. Our womens team have to play there and logistically and financially, its a pain.

I would imagine the THA could assist by covering travel costs both for a Tobago team and the visiting teams.

Is that fair? Well no. But each club is a business and like any business you look at the financial impact of any decision. There is no plus for Pro League clubs to have a team from Tobago, but there's plenty of negatives, sad to say.

When Sancho and I were at North East, we did hatch a plan to play one or two home games in Dwight Yorke. After all, we were closer to Tobago than to Marabella. I'm sure the s*it would have hit the fan had we done that!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
Tobago is only 12 miles away from Toco and is probably only another 10-15 miles to Sangre Grande where North east united is based.

Tobago players could easily play for Northeast , that is only a 30 mile distance.

Agreed!

Dem Tobagonians too lazy, they want people bring everything to them.  I sure if them fellas and dem start swimming around 2 o'clock or so in the morning they could hit Cumana by noon and be ready fuh training.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:38:22 AM »

Agreed!

Dem Tobagonians too lazy, they want people bring everything to them.  I sure if them fellas and dem start swimming around 2 o'clock or so in the morning they could hit Cumana by noon and be ready fuh training.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 10:57:16 AM »

Agreed!

I was gonna reply to this comment, but decided to to wait and see who will respond first. I would have put money on you to do so first  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »
Well I heard from a reliable source that someone wanted to but Tobago United and Granville did not want to sell it.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:35 PM »
Well I heard from a reliable source that someone wanted to but Tobago United and Granville did not want to sell it.

I know of at least two syndicates that looked at this, but another issue was the joining criteria of the Pro League.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 02:13:12 PM »
Tobago in general is fragmented when it comes to football. there is a reluctance to work together for the good of the overall game. This is disappointing since everyone will benefit if the overall structure improves. It remains a territorial minor league mentality. Tobago can and should have a team in the pro league. Such a team will, or could have a huge inspirational effect.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
Maybe in lieu of having an actual pro league team in Tobago, the Pro League could organize occasional league games in Tobago. Kind of like how the NFL will play games in London and Toronto. The league could help to arrange transportation and accommodations for the teams involved, and help to offset the costs. Don't know if the attendance would make it worth it but they could use it to help promote the league.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 03:05:17 PM »
It is all about money. Jabloteh right there and they no longer in the league. They people in Tobago need to resolve what ever differences they have and bring out a team. Actually, I can't see why we can't have transport from Toco to Scarboro.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:47:49 PM by Deeks »

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
Hi Debbie. Welcome to SocaWarriors.net...I hope you survive the experience :)

Re Tobago, you are correct in that are PHENOMENAL atheletes there, but sadly they do NOT get the support they need, and many opt to come over to Trinidad to further their careers.

In so far as to why there is CURRENTLY no Tobago team in the PFL, it's partially related to the migration to Trinidad issue I mentioned above, and also because the talent pool is further diluted among the teams in the Super League and Minor Leagues...as for no TOBAGO PFL, I guess it comes back to lack of SPONSORSHIP...we have posters resident IN Tobago eg. Doc who might be able to shed some more light on that.

Dexter Skeene is the CEO of the PFL, he cannot legislate to Tobago, and would be promptly put in his place if he or whoever else sits in that chair were to try.

For news on W. Connection and PFL games, check out the "Digicel 2012-2013 Pro League FACEBOOK page...but to answer your question -
Friday, 10th May - (SUPER FRIDAY)
 --------------------------------------------------------
 Police FC vs DirecTV W. Connection FC - 6pm (ABS) Caledonia AIA vs St. Ann's Rangers FC - 8pm (ABS)

North East Stars FC vs Central FC - 6pm (MLS)
 Defence Force FC vs T&TEC FC - 8pm (MLS)

Live Friday at the Ato Boldon Stadium and the Marvin Lee Stadium

Admission $30, Kids Under 12 FREE!

As for the Carib Girls, try calling Pixie Du Coudray at the Carib Brewery's Marketing/PR Dept.

Good Luck and enjoy the game girls!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 04:50:53 PM »
Pixie Du Coudray.!!!!!  Cutie as a teenager.

Offline Debbie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »
Thanks for all the replies guys. Patriot, I will make that call, thank you.

Yours Truly.
Deb.

1]; } ?>