March 28, 2024, 10:39:39 AM

Author Topic: Sheldon Phillips Thread  (Read 27749 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sheldon Phillips is TTFF’s New General Secretary.
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
but i thought he would have started a youth program along the lines of US youth soccer but I guess that was too much to ask.

I don't think that would have been a problem for Lincoln. Is how much cooperation he would have gotten from the previous admin.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »
Lasana reporting and Nakhid saying that Sheldon declared persona non grata in several countries and clubs and is imbed to  (Iain) Bains, the (Alvin) Hendersons, the (Ken) Butchers, Anton Corneal and his dad who was worthless while there.

I hope this is not true.

Ken Butcher is a total idiot and talks like he have no sense and the game has moved on and left many of them standing in sand.

Sheldon, you need for from your own identity and stop playing nice guy.

Source?

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=59908.msg857756#msg857756

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »
Lasana reporting and Nakhid saying that Sheldon is imbed to  (Iain) Bains, the (Alvin) Hendersons, the (Ken) Butchers, Anton Corneal

This quote below is from the wired article:
Finally, Sheldon, let me advise you to avoid populist decisions that lack vision. Consult. You and I both know that you have access to a veritable footballing think-tank. You know of whom I speak, the (Iain) Bains, the (Alvin) Hendersons, the (Ken) Butchers et al.
Having access to these individuals doesn't necessarily mean being in bed with them.  I think the point Nakhid was making is that he is questioning whether Sheldon Phillips consulted with these guys prior to making the decision to replace Charles and Shabazz.

By the way, this quote:
Lasana reporting and Nakhid saying that Sheldon declared persona non grata in several countries and clubs
appears to be incorrect.

I believe Nakhid was referring to Beenie as the individual declared persona non grata. Not Sheldon.

I hold no brief for Nakhid.  The fact that he had to go on a mini tirade in his article about Gally not selecting him for the National team and the team not qualifying speaks to some lingering bitterness there.  To me, he could have made his point about the dismissal of Charles & Shabazz without this entirely unnecessary and irrelevant reference.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:46:44 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 04:54:37 PM »
^^^Which is why I asked for a source, because nothing in that article supports the spin put on it by Sando.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 06:21:47 AM »
Really thought Sheldon Phillips would have been a revolution for us.

But the TTFA still operates identical to how it did in the past and it has nothing to do with money.

Talk is really cheap.

6 months under the current TTFA and I was feeling really optimistic, now I feel even worst about T&T football than ever under Jack Warner regime, that's how bad position we are in.

:( :(

After the Gold Cup, I dont think I will be watching another T&T game for a while, I am giving it a break.

I now understand how guys like Patriot, Touches, Tongue, Trinimassive, Trini, Small Magician, KND, Palos, Samo and Big Magician feel, no wonder they hardly post anymore.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:23:04 AM by Errol »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 08:29:16 AM »
^^^Which is why I asked for a source, because nothing in that article supports the spin put on it by Sando.

http://www.socawarriors.net/federation-news/12585-dear-ttfa-david-nakhid-s-scathing-open-letter-on-coaching-changes.html

Bakes, I am only the messenger.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »

http://www.socawarriors.net/federation-news/12585-dear-ttfa-david-nakhid-s-scathing-open-letter-on-coaching-changes.html

I've said it many times and will say it again.. Clean house.. That's the only way

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 08:44:09 AM »

I believe Nakhid was referring to don Leo..

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTOC slams Phillips’ ‘discourtesy’ over Pan Am U-23 football spat
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) president Brian Lewis has accused Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) general secretary Sheldon Phillips of discourtesy and disrespect over the football body’s handling of a match fee dispute with its National Under-23 Team.

The young “Soca Warriors” threatened to boycott its final Toronto 2015 Pan American Games fixture against Mexico today over unpaid match fees and stipends and the TTFA’s failure to guarantee payment.

The Warriors eventually softened their position and took a surprise two goal lead over Mexico before surrendering to a 4-2 loss. However, Phillips never officially informed the TTOC of the potential crisis.

“One would have foreseen that the general secretary would have seen it as a matter of courtesy, if not respect,” Lewis told Wired868, “to have alerted the TTOC on such a matter, since it is a TTOC event, to help alleviate the situation…

“Instead, there is credible information which suggests the general secretary of the TTFA would have had notice and made interventions without calling and notifying the TTOC.

“When there is the potential for issues, it is the normal course of action—and I can speak without fear of contradiction—where phone calls would be made. In all organisations and businesses, there are protocols to follow and conversations that are had to resolve situations before they explode.”

Phillips confirmed that he did not officially inform the TTOC of the threatened strike, even though he wrote to the the Ministry of Sport for a comfort letter to show the players.

Incidentally, Phillips claimed that the Ministry of Sport never responded to the TTFA.

However, the TTFA general secretary said he did not contact the TTOC because the football body was “still in discussion with the players who had not made a final decision.”

“It was an internal issue that we wanted to resolve and at the end of the day we were able to resolve it,” Phillips told Wired868. “We assured (the players) that we were making every effort to secure their funding that we had been told was available to us.

“Based on that information, from what I was told, the players decided to play.”

But Lewis insisted that the Under-23 football team was under the auspices of the TTOC in Toronto and, if they boycotted, it is the local olympic committee that would have been held responsible.

“He continues to defend the indefensible,” said Lewis. “You have a situation where a TTOC team is threatening to withdraw and he says it is an internal matter. That is not what the TTOC is accustomed to and it is disrespectful and discourteous.”

Lewis said the TTOC is likely to seek a meeting with the TTFA after the Pan Am Games and will share their disappointment with the football body.

“This has been a very distracting Toronto 2015 games,” said Lewis. “When the entire delegation should be forcing on what is important, which is performing at our best to win medals and we have the track and field delegate go into action and having a good day at the office.

“For us to be dealing with these issues caused by the football group is unprecedented. It is deeply disappointing… Even down to the very end, we continue to face deficiencies.”

Lewis said the TTOC is focused on being “athlete driven” and, as a result, has bent over backwards to ensure that the footballers did not suffer, even as the TTFA routinely missed deadlines.

He revealed that the “Women Soca Warriors” were allowed to remain in Toronto, despite their elimination, so they can prepare for next month’s 2016 Olympic qualifying campaign and receive free medical attention.

Captain Maylee Attin-Johnson and star attacker Kennya “Yaya” Cordner both have worrying injuries and their participation in the Caribbean leg of the Olympic campaign is doubtful.

“The (Women Warriors) have finished their Pan American campaign (but) they wanted to embrace the opportunity to train (in this environment) and that was facilitated,” said Lewis. “So you have a situation where players are having their injuries appropriately treated and they the chance to use excellent facilities with their meals and accommodations and so on handled at no cost to the TTFA…

“The TTOC has always attempted to assist and support the TTFA in whatever way it can… It is disappointing to see them act in this way given the relationship that the TTOC has always had with the TTFA.”

The TTOC president was a member of the Constitutional Reform Commission (CRC), whose work led to a new TTFA constitution that was accepted by FIFA and local football stakeholders. It paved the way for a November election for the football body.

And he said his relationship with football will not be coloured by events surrounding the 2015 Pan American Games.

“I am comforted by the fact that the TTOC continues to have a strong, productive and cordial relationship with football and the president of Trinidad and Tobago football (Raymond Tim Kee),” said Lewis. “I am confident that the approach of the TTFA general secretary is not one that is shared with other stakeholders in football.”

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 05:41:19 AM by Flex »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Never a dull moment.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Never a dull moment.

if there was i believe everyone would be concerned...  :D

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
Seem like everything in T&T is a special case and bacchanal; btw, the special Olympics is schedule to be open in Los Angeles shortly this coming Saturday. :devil:
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The absence of measured, diplomatic language is indicative of how much BL thinks protocol and judgement was flouted. I see his point.

I also get why SP would attempt to resolve the matter quietly in-house. There's been enough bad TTFA publicity to kill all the kittens in the world.

However, as the record with previous events concerning match fees indicates, there's no keeping such matters quiet or suppressed. The information gets out.

It was inevitable that BL would be looped in. Better for him to have heard it from the TTFA first, rather than incidentally. Especially because Lewis is neither a casual nor incidental observer, but a principal with respect to Pan Am participation, he should have been alerted in deference to the TTOC's superceding role vis-a-vis Pan Ams.

A good and related question is: who is Chef de Mission for T&T at Pan Ams? One would imagine that person should have been looped in unquestionably.

(By the way, who is going to be our chef de mission in Rio? There's an upcoming meeting of chefs de mission in Rio in a couple weeks in build up to the Olympics).

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The absence of measured, diplomatic language is indicative of how much BL thinks protocol and judgement was flouted. I see his point.

I also get why SP would attempt to resolve the matter quietly in-house. There's been enough bad TTFA publicity to kill all the kittens in the world.

However, as the record with previous events concerning match fees indicates, there's no keeping such matters quiet or suppressed. The information gets out.

It was inevitable that BL would be looped in. Better for him to have heard it from the TTFA first, rather than incidentally. Especially because Lewis is neither a casual nor incidental observer, but a principal with respect to Pan Am participation, he should have been alerted in deference to the TTOC's superceding role vis-a-vis Pan Ams.

A good and related question is: who is Chef de Mission for T&T at Pan Ams? One would imagine that person should have been looped in unquestionably.

(By the way, who is going to be our chef de mission in Rio? There's an upcoming meeting of chefs de mission in Rio in a couple weeks in build up to the Olympics).

There's an upcoming meeting of chefs de mission in Rio  I always find these are a bad idea. You know the saying: Too many chefs spoil the broth   :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sheldon Phillips will make a saint in heaven cuss just saying.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Not taking sides, however !!!!

I dont understand the problem?

Phillips dealt with the matter and resolved the issues that were bothering the players!!! Why would Lewis need to know that? I am sure if things had gotten worst or they couldn't agree the TTFA would have let them know.

If this was a TTOC matter then they should have taken care of the T&T team in the first place, it shouldn't have to even go back to the TTFA.

Sounds like Lewis is looking for a scapegoat for the horrible medal count haul for the TTOC.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:50:04 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

Phillips dealt with the matter and resolved the issues that were bothering the players!!! Why would Lewis need to know that? I am sure if things had gotten worst or they couldn't agree the TTFA would have let them know.

If this was a TTOC matter then they should have taken care of the T&T team in the first place, it shouldn't have to even go back to the TTFA.

Sounds like Lewis is looking for a scapegoat for the horrible medal count haul for the TTOC.

What's horrible about our medal count bro?

Has there been a sport or event where we were realistically expected to medal and didn't?

I expect Keshorn Walcott to medal

I hope KA Baptiste can medal

I hope Machel Cedeno can medal

Not sure if Jehue Gordon at Pan Am but if he is, I would expect him to medal

All of those events yet to complete.

I expected Njisane Phillip to medal and he got silver

I expected George Bovell III to medal and he got bronze

Where else?

Besides, if any sporting discipline had a potential mutiny on their hands...whether they resolved it internally or not...the TTOC, as the organization overall in charge of the T&T delegation to the games, should at the very least have been informed.

Imagine the footballers refusing to play against Mexico?  Who you think Pan Am Organizers would have gone to?  TTFA?

No sah....they woulda go straight to Lewis demanding answers.  And if he had no idea what was going on, imagine how that would have looked.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Cleopatra Borel in GOLD medal position in womens shot put with 1 round remaining.  A throw of 18.67 leads the way.

Keston Bledman won his mens 100m semi in 10.10 and advances to the final

KA Baptiste and Semoy Hackett both advance to the Womens 100m final later tonight.  Baptiste won her semi in 11.05 and Hackett was a fastest loser in 11.16

Sparke McKnight finished 5th in the Womens 400m hurdles final in 57.30
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:31:26 PM by palos »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
GOLD for Cleopatra Borel!  Congrats!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
These kind of news really making things worst for the TTFA.

The little respect they got from the gold cup is wash away by all this negative news.

I don't understand why all this drama and the problem was solved?

I can only hope they do things better yes, and don't assume, they need a public relation officer.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
By the way, KAB and Bledman did not medal. >:(. As far as this football campaign, utterly disappointing. I certainly don't blame the players.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:27:55 PM by Deeks »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&TFA General Secretary must shoulder blame.
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

T&TOC boss laments lack of respect shown:

While staying clear of picking sides in the ongoing dispute between the Minister of Sport Brent Sancho and Raymond Tim Kee led T&T Football Association (T&TFA), its general secretary Sheldon Phillips has come in for some harsh criticism from T&T Olympic Committee boss, Brian Lewis.

In fact, Lewis, not one to mix his words, has labelled Phillips, the son of former national goalkeeper Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips” as being disrespectful in his handling of recent issues with regards to the national Under-23 footballers, both men and women, who are currently at the Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada.

The Women Soca Warriors, captained by Maylee Attin-Johnson exited the tournament after ending with two points from their round-robin group, a 1-1 draw with Argentina and 2-2 deadlock with Colombia, before losing 3-1 to Mexico in a must win match.

On the other hand, the Under-23 men’s team led by Alvin Jones were ousted from their tournament after losing big to Uruguay (4-0) and Paraguay (5-1) ahead of what was expected to be their final round-robin match at the Hamilton Soccer Stadium last night.

But that match was in jeopardy of not coming off as the Under-23s had threatened to boycott the match over what they say was unpaid match fees of US$500 promised to them by the T&TFA via its general secretary Phillip.

The Women Soca Warriors had also threatened to boycott the tournament but was advised to go to Canada by Minister Sancho, while his Ministry and the T&TFA worked on resolving the matter.

But after almost two weeks in North America and no confirmation of payments coming from the T&TFA, it was said the national Under-23 players let their feelings be known to team officials.

In addition to match fees and stipend for the two teams and officials in Canada, monies owed to the national Olympic (under-23) team and technical staff are also outstanding, with no confirmation of when and how it will be paid.

Contacted for comment, Phillip first defended the right of the players to make a request for match fees saying that prior to past teams, majority of the footballers were now professionals at clubs and needed to provide for their families.

“The entire dynamics have changed from us having a mainly amateur national team to a professional unit.

“So I don’t think it was an unfair sum, but what we have to do now is look at the system and see what can be done to ensure we get the necessary funding in a timely manner to satisfy the players and management needs to avoid any problems”, ended Phillips.

Reached here in Trinidad, Lewis said that having spoken to the T&TOC management team in Canada, in chef de mission Dianne Henderson and secretary general Annette Knott, he was confident that everything would be sorted out.

“We have a very strong and experienced T&T Olympic Committee management team  in Toronto, and they have worked together with all the team managers for months in preparation for the Toronto 2015 Games, that’s how the T&TOC has always operated. As an athlete centred and focused organisation we focus a lot on creating the environment that will support the athletes, we have a history of doing that.

“Travel, accommodation and meals are all provided for in the ambit of the Pan American Games as well as medical. As a matter of fact, the senior women’s football team, which competed at the Pan American Games, currently has a few injury issues which are being addressed by the T&TOC medical team in Toronto.

“The women’s football team made a request of the T&OC for the team to stay and do some preparation ahead of their Concacaf Women’s Olympic qualifiers and we acceded to that request.

So the T&TOC has always sought to work closely with all the stakeholders to ensure that at the end of the day, the athletes best interest is served, but at the same time we operate within our means. And as I have said on previous occasions, this is the first Games we are focusing on performance based medal bonuses going forward. All of our corporate partners’ discussions now include athlete welfare aspects of it, in the context of ten or more Olympic Gold medals by the year 2024. So we have taken over the last two years a particular strategic focus and initiative and that’s why we we’re able to introduce the medal bonuses.

“But we have always found it when we have done the arithmetic and the numbers that it is not sustainable in terms of match fees and per diems and stipends and therefore it is not a policy perspective of the T&TOC at this point in time. So that while we have not received any official word to this date, the T&TTOC has not had the courtesy or the respect from the general secretary of the T&TFA Sheldon Phillips.”

He added: “Statements have been made pertinent to the Pan Am Games which is under the auspices of the T&TOC without any discussion with the T&TOC. We (T&TOC) respect the autonomy of its member organisation, but what we expect in turn is a certain modicum of respect and courtesy with games under us.

“We are hearing all sorts of things, but not a word from them (T&TFA).”

He reiterated: “I have not received an official word, not even as a point of courtesy from the general secretary of the T&TFA who continues, from what I have been hearing, to make statements relevant to the Pan Am Games that is outside of his remit.”

Asked if he has spoken with T&TFA president Raymond Tim Kee about the ongoing issue, Lewis replied, “I have ongoing conversations with the president of the T&TFA, as a matter of fact, just two weeks ago, I was in the presence of both the general secretary and the president because I served on the independent reform Commission of the T&TFA and this is why the lack of courtesy and respect in this particular matter is very disappointing.

“Because when the general secretary of the T&TFA needs to contact me for other things, he is quite ready and able to do so.

“And therefore I can form no other conclusion that a lot of the problems being created surrounding this Pan Am Games which is unprecedented have to land squarely in the lap of the T&TFA general secretary, in the absence of any official communication.”

“So what is happening is that the T&TOC is hearing things, then having to address things in the absence of official notification.

“This is happening even though there is a level of courtesy in communication that one expects and as I said this is unprecedented because we don’t have this problem I can say with any other national sporting organisation, especially the ones that are accustomed travelling with the T&TOC.”

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

To be fair, TTOC did take care of the teams. The only matter not under their purview was match fees which aren't paid to any other T&T athlete at PanAm (appearance fees). This was effectively a free trip for TTFA and an great chance to get three decent games for each team for next to nothing. I don't necessarily believe that Sheldon decided to pay match fees to players himself, but he was left holding the baby. TTOC are very well organised. They carried 140 athletes to Canada. No disruption with travel, timing, accommodation. Very professional in what they do. I don't see how Lewis can be blamed for speaking out, It's his reputation on the line out there.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Someone should ask BL whether the TTOC communicated to the TTFA that the Women Warriors would be extending their stay in TO despite elimination.

See where that leads. ;)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sheldon Phillips fired!
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2015, 11:33:26 AM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: Sheldon Phillips fired!
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »
ok....then, more worries sigh :(, would like to know where this is coming from since throughout all of the fight down and trouble with the ministry, Philips was there with Timkee.......the incompetence was also equally shared between both men...so again..where dat come from ???
I pity the fool....

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2015, 11:46:10 AM »
Tim Kee sacks Sheldon; TTFA general secretary pays price for Guardian gaffe
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president Raymond Tim Kee has sacked his general secretary, Sheldon Phillips, just six weeks before the TTFA presidential elections.
Tim Kee confirmed Phillips’ termination today, via press release, for: “failure to adhere to directives regarding the operational activities of the FA.”
The TTFA president, who is also the Port of Spain mayor and PNM treasurer, revealed that he asked his general secretary to resign on Monday evening and chose to sack him after he refused to do so.
“The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association wishes to advise that Mr Sheldon Phillips no longer holds the position of General Secretary of the organisation,” stated the TTFA release. “This was a decision taken by the President of the TTFA, Mr Raymond Tim Kee, following the issuing of a letter to Phillips requesting his resignation on Monday evening. 
“Mr Phillips subsequently refused the request following which his services were terminated by the President with immediate effect.”
Insiders told Wired868 that Phillips paid the ultimate price for an interview with the Trinidad Guardian, which was published on Sunday October 18 and claimed that Tim Kee’s presidential campaign had the “full support” of the TTFA executive committee.
The Guardian story prompted a furious response from all three TTFA vice-presidents who said they supported anyone but Tim Kee.
Phillips claimed he was misquoted and reporter Walter Alibey and assistant sport editor Rachel King appeared to concede as much. The Guardian offered a retraction on its print edition yesterday. But it did not save Phillips, who was asked to quit and then sacked.
Tim Kee suggested that the search has already begun for a new general secretary, although any new appointment can be short-lived, as the TTFA will decide on a new president on 29 November 2015.
Thus far, Tim Kee, W Connection president and CEO David John-Williams and former World Cup referee and businessman Ramesh Ramdhan are believed to be the three nominees. The deadline for nomination is midnight on Tuesday October 20.
“The TTFA has commenced a search for a new General Secretary and remains committed to exploring and evaluating possibilities and opportunities,” stated the TTFA release, “that will put the TTFA on a trajectory for growth and continued development 
“The TTFA thanks Mr Phillips for his duties dating back to 2013 and wishes him well in his future endeavours.”
Tim Kee unveiled Phillips as his general secretary and the de fact CEO of the football body on 9 May 2013. The then 47-year-old US-based administrator succeeded Richard Groden, whose name was synonymous with the 2006 World Cup bonus dispute and entangled with the financial gymnastics of the Jack Warner era at the turn of the century.
“I will do everything in my power and ability to help lead this organisation with grace and dignity,” said Phillips, at his appointment, “never forgetting our role and obligation to serve as stewards of a game we cherish; for a nation we love.”
Phillips was felt to be instrumental in the hiring of current men’s and women’s senior team coaches, Stephen Hart and Randy Waldrum, who quickly ingratiated themselves to their respective squads and the local football public.
However, in both cases, Phillips courted the respective coaches without the knowledge of the TTFA executive committee and the vice-president, Rudy Thomas, in charge of appointments. While the displaced coaches, Jamaal Shabazz and Marlon Charles, also complained about being disrespected after learning of their replacements through the media.
Hart’s success at the July 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup tempered criticisms but Phillips did not fare as well when, in October 2013, the public found out that only a quarter of their funds raised for ailing Hungary-based football Akeem Adams—through a Native Spirit tee-shirt venture—would go to the player.
A TTFA release, authorised by Phillips, had instructed the public that: “The T Shirts will be sold at a cost of TT$100 with all proceeds going towards the “Heart of a Warrior” fund.
Phillips initially refused to apologise for misleading the public, after Wired868 revealed that only TT$25 from each tee-shirt—or TT$50,000 from the TT$200,000 raised—went to Adams, who was fighting for his life after a massive heart attack.
“We were in the middle of ramping up for the (New Zealand) game and we felt we would address the issue after the match and analyse it in more detail then,” Phillips told Wired868. “Hindsight is 20/20… We are not in the tee-shirt business. This was a Native Spirit initiative…
“People may see that as making excuses but that is the reality.”
But the administrative bungles and disinclination to acknowledge them continued apace.
Read more: http://wired868.com/2015/10/20/tim-kee-sacks-sheldon-ttfa-general-secretary-pays-price-for-guardian-gaffe/
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 01:05:43 PM by SWF Reporter »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2015, 12:01:46 PM »
No 'permanent' General Secretary should be installed until after the elections.

Could this stimulate a new candidate (namely Sheldon Phillips)?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2015, 12:05:39 PM »
Was not expecting this. Maybe this is why Colin Murray withdrew from the president election.

1]; } ?>