April 16, 2024, 10:33:55 AM

Author Topic: 2013 World Track & Field Championships in Moscow (Sat 10th to Sun 18th Aug)  (Read 52552 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
2013 IAAF World Championships men's 4x400m relay qualifying heats
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QT3rBbRvhkY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QT3rBbRvhkY</a>

August 15, 2013 The 14th IAAF World track and field championships in Moscow, Russia; Athletics men's 4x400 meter relay qualifying heats. The top 2 finishers in each heat advance to the final along with the next 2 fastest times.

Heat 1
1. Jamaica - 3:00.41 - Q
2. Great Britain & N.I. - 3:00.51 -Q

3. Venezuela - 3:02.04
4. Japan - 3:02.43
5. Dominican Republic - 3:03.61
6. Spain - 3:04.07
7. Nigeria - 3:04.52
8. Botswana - 3:05.74

Heat 2:
1. United States - 2:59.85 Q
2. Trinidad and Tobago - 3:00.48 - Q
3. Belgium - 3:00.81 - q
4. Brazil - 3:01.09 - q

5. Poland - 3:01.73
6. Ukraine - 3:04.98
7. Kenya - 3:06.29
8. Sri Lanka - 3:06.59

Heat 3:
1. Russia - 3:01.81 - Q
2. Australia - 3:02.48 - Q

3. Germany - 3:02.62
4. Bahamas - 3:02.67
5. Italy - 3:03.88
6. Cuba - 3:04.26
7. Czech Republic - 3:04.54
8. Saudi Arabia - 3:05.55

Renny Quow confident Trinidad & Tobago will get 4x4 men's medal
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YGu0g1WM8Qg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YGu0g1WM8Qg</a>

Jamaica 4x4 men team looking ahead of final
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d4SfmSTCxYI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/d4SfmSTCxYI</a>
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:46:08 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Zuzana Hejnova becomes 400m Hurdles Champ - Universal Sports
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ycDgSr4M0Qg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ycDgSr4M0Qg</a>
2013, Moscow, Russia, IAAF Track and Field World Championship, In the Women's 400m hurdles, Zuzana Hejnova (CZE), who was 3rd in the Olympics has been unbeatable since, beating the Americans Muhammad and Demus by 1.26 seconds, finishing at 52.83. (Watch the full event at UniversalSports.com)

2013 IAAF World Championships women 400m hurdles FINAL
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyVsbOzynTk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xyVsbOzynTk</a>

August 15, 2013 The 14th IAAF World track and field championships in Moscow, Russia; Athletics women's 400 meter hurdles final.

GOLD - Zuzana HEJNOVÁ (CZE) - 52.83
SILVER - Dalilah MUHAMMAD (USA) - 54.09
BRONZE - Lashinda DEMUS (USA) - 54.27

4. Anna TITIMETS (UKR) - 54.72
5. Eilidh CHILD (GBR) - 54.86
6. Anna YAROSHCHUK (UKR) - 55.01
7. Perri SHAKES-DRAYTON (GBR) - 56.25
8. Nickiesha WILSON (JAM) - 57.34
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:54:27 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gordon wins Photo Finish in 400m hurdles - Universal Sports
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OP03SzQc_ow" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OP03SzQc_ow</a>
2013, Moscow, Russia, IAAF Track and Field World Championship, In the Men's 400m hurdles, Jehue Gordon (TRI) just catches Olympic silver medalist Michael Tinsley at the line by .01 second, finishing at 47.69. The Olympic champ Felix Sanchez (DOM) was 5th. (Watch the full event at UniversalSports.com)

2013 IAAF World Championships men 400m hurdles FINAL: What a finish!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WEhx081B5lo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WEhx081B5lo</a>

August 15, 2013 The 14th IAAF World track and field championships in Moscow, Russia; Athletics men's 400 meter hurdles final.

GOLD - Jehue GORDON (TRI) - 47.69
SILVER - Michael TINSLEY (USA) - 47.70
BRONZE - Emir BEKRIC (SRB) - 48.05

4. Omar CISNEROS (CUB) - 48.12
5. Felix SÁNCHEZ (DOM) - 48.22
6. Javier CULSON (PUR) - 48.38
7. Mamadou Kasse HANNE (SEN) - 48.68
8. Kerron CLEMENT (USA) - 49.08

Jehue Gordon wants Trinbagonians to believe in themselves
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TPaAZRro4VQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TPaAZRro4VQ</a>
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:50:40 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jehue wins gold
By JOEL BAILEY and Miranda La Rose Friday (T&T Newsday), August 16 2013

JEHUE GORDON gave a grieving nation a reason to celebrate yesterday, winning Trinidad and Tobago’s second-ever gold medal in the history of the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) World Championships.

Shortly after 1 pm yesterday, Gordon, 21, narrowly defeated American Michael Tinsley to win the men’s 400-metre hurdles title at the 2013 World Championships in Moscow, Russia in 47.69 seconds, with Tinsley, the Olympic silver medallist, timed in 47.70.

According to a report on the BBC website, “Gordon hunted down the fast-starting Tinsley over the second 200 metres and won courtesy of a lunging finish.” Serbia’s Emir Bekric finished third in 48.05 seconds.

Gordon’s win was this country’s first World Championships gold medal since Ato Boldon won the 200 metres crown in 1997 in Athens, Greece.

This was Gordon’s second major world gold medal, having won the World Juniors Championships in Montcon, Canada in 2010.

The news of Gordon’s gold medal feat was even more important as it brought relief to the country, still reeling after a spate of murders, among them the killings of three teenagers, the day before.

The nation was also feeling down over news of doping offences which caused sprinters Kelly- Ann Baptiste and Semoy Hackett to be removed from the World Championships on Saturday. In the post-race interview, Gordon declared he just wanted to run the best race of his life.

“I just wanted to get my rhythm. I just wanted to focus on my race and go out hard, which is what I did.”

Gordon leaned on the line to get the better of Tinsley, following the advice his mother always gave him.

“My mom always (told) me to dip. She said, ‘push your head Jehue’ but I actually pushed my whole body because I wanted it so badly.”

On Twitter, Gordon wrote, “thanks to Jehovah God. Left it (all on) the track and now I am Number one! And to everyone who supported me through (thick) and thin thanks a lot.” And Tinsley, also on Twitter, said, “great race by Jehue Gordon. We left it all on the line. With two “PB (personal best)” couldn’t have asked for more!! Congrats!!”

Gordon’s proud parents Vincent Gordon and Marcella Woods, and brother Said, yesterday said they had good vibes he was going to win gold.

When Gordon, a final-year management student of the University of the West Indies, St Augustine was leaving TT for Finland for final preparations prior to the championships in Russia his father had told him, “Go out there and give them trouble”.

“I had a good feeling,’” Vincent, his father, said at his Papier Village, Maraval home. Vincent, like most of the country, did not see the race since it was not broadcast on any of the local television stations. It was reported live on one radio station, and someone called Vincent to tell him his son had won.

Even if the race was broadcast on TV, Vincent said he would not have been able to view it because the excitement would have been too much for his heart condition.

He has stopped going to see his son race for a long time now, he said. Even the delayed broadcasts tend to send his heart racing. “I just cool, but I feeling very, very proud,” Vincent said adding his son succeeds in anything he puts his mind too and he was a testimony to what Trinidad and Tobago can produce.

“He is home-grown, locally schooled and locally trained. He is everything local. He eats everything that his mother cooks for him,” Vincent said. Gordon attended Maraval Primary, Belmont Boys’ Secondary School and Queen’s Royal College before going on to university.

When Newsday caught up with Woods, his mother, she was at the Maraval taxi stand at the corner of Duke and Charlotte Streets, Port-of-Spain waiting to go home.

Woods, a national of St Vincent and the Grenadines, said she prayed with Jehue yesterday at about 2 am, and in encouraging each other to keep their spirits high, she told him that she was already seeing flags waving over his head. She told him that he was going to make TT and St Vincent very proud and they both cried. The tears, she interpreted, were tears of joy.

She told him, “God sent you as a messenger for Trinidad and Tobago, and also on behalf of St Vincent and the Grenadines because I, your mother, am from St Vincent.”

Jehue, she said, told her to be home by 4 pm. “‘Make sure you reach home for four’, he told me. I want to speak with you because today is going to be a happy day.’ I knew in my heart he would have won,” Woods said.

They speak to each other using Skype on the computer. Meanwhile, UWI St Augustine Campus Principal and Pro-vice Chancellor Professor Clement Sankat’s reaction to Gordon’s victory was, “Excellent! Excellent!”

Sankat said of Gordon, “We have supported him all along and for this World Championship, we knew he was capable of doing it.”

He continued, “Not only is he a world class athlete, he is a brilliant student who displays quality and excellence in academia. He would have had opportunities to study in any part of this world, but he chose his own University of the West Indies and for that we are also very thankful and grateful to him. Next time he goes to the Olympics, I hope he wins gold.”

Boldon, TT’s other World Champion gold medallist, said he was not surprised by Gordon’s victory.

On a Skype interview on TV6 News last night, Boldon said, “It’s been all over my Facebook and my Twitter that I thought Jehue was going to win.

“I went back and looked at the semi-finals and thought he had the best finish. And anybody who had the best finish coming off hurdle 10 has a very good chance.”

Boldon also predicted more victories for Gordon. “I think that Jehue is going to buck the trend and be somebody who (gets) multiple medals, in multiple Worlds and Olympics.”

Hasely Crawford, TT’s first Olympic gold medallist, was in his glee after the race.

“I’m overjoyed. It couldn’t happen to a better person,” Crawford said. “Earlier this year, he (Gordon) had been struggling, he had problems with his legs. I could remember meeting him at the (Hasely Crawford) Stadium and his head was down because he wasn’t running too well. He persevered and he won.”

Crawford also credited UWI, noting local talent can be groomed locally, as also happened with Keshorn Walcott, the 2012 Olympic gold medal winner in the javelin.

(Unfortunately, Walcott did not produce his same winning form at the World Championships yesterday, as he did not advance to the finals in his field event.) Gordon’s coach and mentor at Belmont Secondary Albert King was also happy for his former student. “I feel so good for him. He really worked hard for that gold medal. It couldn’t happen to a better person.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott misses javelin final
T&T Newsday Reports
Friday, August 16 2013

OLYMPIC CHAMPION Keshorn Walcott failed to earn a place in tomorrow’s final of the javelin event, in the IAAF World Championships in Moscow, Russia.

The 20-year-old, in yesterday’s qualification rounds, was 10th in Group “A”, which featured 16 entrants, with a best effort of 78.78 metres. He opted out of his second effort and his third throw was 75.84m.

The Toco resident, overall, was 19th out of 33 (there were 17 participants in Group “B”), with Tero Pitkamaki of Finland topping the overall bunch in 84.39.

Trinidad and Tobago’s first Olympic gold medallist Hasely Crawford insisted however, “do not write him off. I know he did not make it in the final but Keshorn Walcott is going through physical changes. We need to really support that young man.

“Do not write him off and do not bad talk the man please. He’s going through physical changes. I want to tell Trinidad and Tobago that. He’s still young. He has a long career ahead of him. He just had a little setback and he’ll be okay.”

And 1992 Olympian Alvin Daniel noted, “we cannot expect that every time the man competes he can beat them ‘fellas’, because some of them are real good. It’s not that he’s not good, it just has to do with conditions sometime. Sometimes it work out for you at that level. If you don’t get into the final, you have to go back to the drawing board.”

But Kai Selvon was unable to earn a spot in the final, of the women’s 200m.

The 21-year-old was seventh in the second of three semi-final heats in 23.21, with Allyson Felix of the United States (22.30) and Blessing Okagbare of Nigeria (22.39) progressing to today’s final.

Earlier in the day, Selvon was third in heat four, of the prelims, in 23.14, trailing World 100m queen Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica (22.78) and Elyzaveta Bryzgiva of Ukraine (22.84).

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T mile relay team go for gold
By JOEL BAILEY (T&T Newsday) Friday, August 16 2013

THE NATIONAL men’s 4x400-metre relay team of Renny Quow, Jarrin Solomon, Lalonde Gordon and Deon Lendore will be aiming for the second medal for the twin-island republic, at the IAAF World Championships in Moscow, Russia today.

On the heels of Jehue Gordon’s gold in the men’s 400m hurdles, the TT mile relay team will be looking to emulate, or even better their bronze medal performance at the 2012 London Olympics.

However, there is a likelihood that Jehue Gordon can replace his namesake Lalonde in the final, depending on the turn of events today.

Jehue Gordon tweeted yesterday, “finally home after long hours of drug testing, going to take a cold shower and get as much sleep. May have to run on that relay (today).”

The 4x400m relay will begin at 1.30 pm, and TT are in lane three. The other entrants are Belgium (one), Brazil (two), Jamaica (four), United States (five), Russia (six), Great Britain (seven) and Australia (eight).

Hasely Crawford, the 100m Olympic gold medallist at the 1976 Montreal Games, commented yesterday, “once you’re in a final, you have a good chance, but this one is going to be difficult. If they (get) a medal, they have to really earn it.

“Good luck to them. They are capable of (getting) a medal but, if they want it, they have to dig deep and earn it. It wouldn’t be easy,” he added.

And former national quarter-miler Alvin Daniel stated, “we have to look at our lane assignments.

The US (is) always hard to beat but, on any given day, we’re in the final and anything can happen.

Once they get the stick around and they run smart, they can pick up a medal again.” Lalonde Gordon will be involved in the men’s 200m, with the first round set for 2.35 am and the semi-finals (involving the first three in each of the seven heats, plus the next three fastest) scheduled for 11.40 am.

But Lalonde, the Olympic 400m bronze medallist, will have to battle against Olympic and reigning World half-lap champion Usain Bolt in lane seven of heat seven.

If Lalonde advances to the semi-final, then he may have little recovery time between that race and the men’s 4x400m relay final, hence the likelihood that he may be replaced by Jehue.

Another TT participant in the men’s 200m is Kyle Greaux, who will be in lane eight of heat one.

The first round of the women 4x400m relay will run off at 3.30 am, with Trinidad and Tobago (who can choose from Kai Selvon, Alena Brooks, Shawna Fermin, Sparkle McKnight, Romona Modeste and Domonique Williams) in heat four.

TT will start the race in lane four, with Nigeria in lane two, France in lane three and, from lanes five-seven Britain, Botswana and Bahamas. The top two in each of the three heats, as well as the next two fastest finishers, will advance to tomorrow’s final.

At 1.45 am, Aleesha Barber will be vying for a place in tomorrow’s semi-finals of the women’s 100m hurdles.

She will be in lane two of heat five, next to Veronica Borsi of Italy (three), Lavonne Idlette of Dominican Republic (four), Brianna Rollins of the US (five), Sara Aerts of Belgium (six), Shermaine Williams of Jamaica (seven) and Isabelle Pedersen of Norway (eight).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 02:23:52 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
GOLDEN DIP
Jehue Gordon, 21, in nail-biting 400-metre hurdles finish in Moscow
By Kwame Laurence (T&T Express) in Moscow
Story Created: Aug 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago track star Jehue Gordon lunged for the line at the Luzhniki Stadium, here in Moscow, Russia, yesterday, his herculean effort earning the country only its second gold medal in the 30-year history of the IAAF World Championships.

Coming off the final turn in the men’s 400 metres hurdles final, Gordon trailed American Michael Tinsley. But as he battled on the home straight, the Maraval athlete drew inspiration from two of the most influential people in his life—his coach Dr Ian Hypolite and mother Marcella Woods.

“On the last hurdle, I just remember my coach telling me it’s going to be a foot race coming home, put my foot down on the ground, roll my arms. And I remember my mom telling me to push yuh head Jehue, just remember to push your head. So did and so done.

“My head actually left my body and went over the line, and my body went behind it. I just throw my frame, as Trinidadians would say, I throw my frame over the line.”

Tinsley, too, “threw his frame”, and the two athletes, like everyone else in the stadium, had to wait until the results showed up on the giant screen to know who took the title.

“I wanted to raise up,” Gordon told the Express, “and just see my name to the top of the board.”

He got his wish, Gordon striking gold in 47.69 seconds—a new national record and the fastest time in the world this year. Tinsley had to settle for silver in 47.70, while bronze was bagged by Serbia’s Emir Bekric (48.05).

“I’m ecstatic,” said Gordon.

Yesterday’s gold was the 11th World Championship medal for T&T.

Ato Boldon opened T&T’s account back in 1995 with men’s 100m bronze. And two years later, in Athens, Greece, he triumphed in the 200m to became the country’s first senior world champion in athletics. A couple hours before the one-lap hurdles final, the former track star told the Express he was “ready to make room in the club”, the T&T world title club.

Gordon became only the second person to gain membership with yesterday’s scorching run on the Luzhniki Stadium’s blue Mondo surface.

“My coach has been nagging me and telling me that my body is ready to do something phenomenal. I went out there, had that belief in him, and kept my belief in Jehovah God that he’s going to bless me with his Holy Spirit and pull me through the line.

“My coach,” Gordon continued, “has been there for me since I was 12 years old. And I must give this big achievement to him.”

Gordon also acknowledged the contribution of the T&T medical staff, and paid tribute to his mother.

“My mom, I must devote this to her also. She’s been there for me through thick and also through thin.  Mom, I did this for you…just continue to support me and believe in me.”

Gordon is a fully home-grown talent. He turned down the opportunity to go abroad, opting instead to train in T&T under the guidance of Hypolite.

As a 17-year-old, Gordon finished fourth at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin, Germany. One year later, he was crowned world junior champion in Moncton, Canada. And at the 2012 London Olympics, he was sixth in the final.

Yesterday, Dominican Republic’s two-time Olympic champion Felix Sanchez had to settle for fifth spot in 48.22 seconds. Cuban Omar Cisneros (48.12) finished fourth, while Puerto Rico’s Javier Culson (48.38) and Senegal’s Mamadou Kasse Hanne (48.68) were sixth and seventh, respectively.

In the cellar position was T&T-born Kerron Clement. While Clement opted to represent United States rather than the country of his birth, Gordon, a Sports Management major at the University of the West Indies, St Augustine, chose to be the ultimate patriot.

“I wanted to show Trinidad and Tobago that I could localise things. I could localise books and athletics at the same time, showing people that I don’t need to go outside to be successful.”

Born, bred, and developed right here in T&T, 21-year-old Jehue “Young Prince” Gordon is now king of the one-lap hurdles. He has truly come of age.

Trinidad and Tobago’s World Championships medals:

1995: Ato Boldon--Bronze--Men’s 100 metres

1997: Ato Boldon--Gold--Men’s 200m

1999: No Medals

2001: Ato Boldon--Bronze--Men’s 100m

Marc Burns, Ato Boldon, Jacey Harper, Darrel Brown--Silver--4x100m relay

2003: Darrel Brown--Silver--Men’s 100m

2005: Kevon Pierre, Marc Burns, Jacey Harper, Darrel Brown--Silver--Men’s 4x100m relay

2007: No Medals

2009: Darrel Brown, Marc Burns, Emmanuel Callender, Richard Thompson, Keston Bledman--Silver--Men’s 4x100m relay

Josanne Lucas--Bronze--Women’s 400m Hurdles

Renny Quow--Bronze--Men’s 400m

2011: Kelly-Ann Baptiste--Bronze--Women’s 100m

*2013: Jehue Gordon--Gold--Men’s 400m Hurdles

*2013 edition still ongoing
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:19:15 AM by Socapro »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
TnT W 4x4 is out after a dismal performance.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TnT W 4x4 is out after a dismal performance.
Yeah saw that the morning session including the relays live myself.
Was hoping we could have at least run a new PB even if we could not make the final.
A few of the baton changes were very inefficient and we lost a lot of ground on those exchanges.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Praises from NAAA president, manager
Story Created: Aug 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM ECT

World champion Jehue Gordon has been described as “an exemplar” by National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) president Ephraim Serrette.

“I’m very happy for Jehue,” Serrette told the Express, following the athlete’s victory in the IAAF World Championship men’s 400 metres hurdles final, at the Luzhniki Stadium, here in Moscow, Russia, yesterday.

“He’s one of the athletes,” the president continued, “our athletes need to look at. He’s an exemplar, always thanking the people who have been there for him. The other athletes need to take a page.”

The T&T team manager here in Moscow, Dexter Voisin, was thrilled with Gordon’s golden run.

“Based on what I saw leading up to the final, I expected great things, and he delivered tonight. He went with his race-plan. It was nail-biting.

“So much is in the air right now with track and field back home,” Voisin continued, “especially negative vibes. This will bring positive vibes. This augurs well for us. I’m sure the other athletes will be motivated.”

Serrette said that Gordon’s success is a big boost for T&T track and field, especially since he is based at home.

“His victory augurs well for the sport, more so coming out of Trinidad and Tobago—training at home with a local coach (Dr Ian Hypolite).”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ato and Hasely: Jehue’s success is no surprise
By Ian Prescott and Roger Seepersad (T&T Express)
Story Created: Aug 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM ECT

Ato Boldon, Trinidad and Tobago’s first gold medallist at the “Worlds”, in the men’s 200m event in 1997, “wasn’t surprised at all” at Jehue Gordon’s 400-metres victory in Moscow yesterday.

And,  former Olympic men’s 100-metre champion Hasely Crawford is sending all the kudos Jehue Gordon’s way .

Both Boldon and Crawford were overjoyed at yesterday’s 400-metre hurdles triumph by Gordon, who clocked 47.69 seconds to win ahead of American Michael Tinsley (47.70) and Serbia’s Emir Bekric (48.05), at the 2013 IAAF World Championships in Moscow, Russia.

“It was all over my Facebook and Twitter that I thought Jehue would have won,” Boldon told CCN TV6 via Skype yesterday. “I went back and looked at the semi-finals (on tape) and thought he had the best finish, and anybody who has the best finish coming off of hurdle ten had a very good chance.

“I did not think Tinsley would have been as close obviously, but I always felt that I was going to have to make some room in the club, that we were going to have another world champion.”

According to Boldon, Worlds gold should have come again sooner to T&T.

“We do not have anybody else besides myself that have multiple medals in individual events, and I think that Jehue is going to break that trend. He is the youngest medallist ever in this event, and I think he understands that this is an event that usually favours people with experience.”

Considered one of T&T’s best-ever sprinters, Boldon said athletes training at home should not be a hindrance to world class performances.

Asked about the distraction of Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Semoy Hackett returning home under drug clouds, Boldon felt it did not affect the team too much.

“One (thing) non-athletes don’t realise, especially non-Olympic athletes, is that no matter what happens in that camp, the athletes there have worked for a long time to get to this point and nothing distracts them.

“To the outside world it is like ‘Oh my gosh, everybody is so devastated because this one went home or that one went home’, but the reality is, they have sympathy for what happened to their country women, but it is not going to deter, and it is not going to distract them.”

Crawford too feels proud that Gordon and Olympic javelin champ Keshorn Walcott are home grown.

Trinidad and Tobago’s 1976 Montreal Olympic 100-metre gold medallist described Gordon as a wonderful person, and deserving of the reward he has earned for the hard work put in.

“When I saw the semi-final where he slowed down at the end and still clocked 48.10 seconds, I was convinced that gold could be his in the final. But I knew he would have to want it and be willing to fight for it,” Crawford said. “I also feel that the 4x100m team also have a good chance of winning a medal as well, but they too have to want it badly, and be willing to dig deep also.”

Crawford credits 21-year-old Gordon for working extremely hard to regain the form he showed as a 17-year-old, when he finished fourth in his pet event at his first World Championships in Berlin, Germany. Crawford remembers Gordon struggling as a teenager, and credited local coaches Ian Hypolite and Edwin Skinner, UWI, and even TSTT for investing in Gordon as a teenager by sending him to China for preparation.

Further, Crawford said 20-year-old former junior world champion Walcott is going through his growing phase, and like Gordon has many productive years before him. He feels Walcott needs time to adjust to his first year in senior competition after shocking the field as an outsider at the London Olympics.

“I went through it too,” Crawford said. “I could also remember that Jehue was also struggling last year, and look what has happened this year.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
4x4 men target podium
Story Created: Aug 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago will bid for a second medal at the 14th IAAF World Championships here in Moscow, Russia, at 1.30 this afternoon (T&T time).

Renny Quow, Jarrin Solomon, Lalonde Gordon and Deon Lendore qualified third fastest for the men’s 4x400 metres final, the T&T quartet returning a time of three minutes, 00.48 seconds to finish second in the second of three qualifying heats. United States got home first in 2:59.85, leading all qualifiers into the final.

Today, the T&T quartet will return to the Luzhniki Stadium for the championship race, confident of following men’s 400m hurdles gold medallist Jehue Gordon onto the podium.

“We’re going to be in the top three,” Quow told the Express. “No doubt about that. I have confidence in these guys.”

Quow ran a solid leadoff leg, handing the baton to Solomon with T&T well-positioned for a strong performance.

“Was a nice, easy, relaxed run,” said Solomon. “Our goal was just to make the final. That’s all we’re trying to do, save a little bit for tomorrow (today). We should be able to go much faster.”

Next up for T&T was Lalonde Gordon.

“The first hundred I felt a little sluggish because I haven’t run a 400 in over a month. After I hit the back stretch I started to flow into it.”

Lendore, the T&T anchorman, was not entirely pleased with his run.

“Not really how I finish a 4x4, but I’ll work with that, get some treatment on my leg, and try to feel 100 per cent for the final. I came all the way over here…I have to get a medal now.”

Jamaica topped the opening heat in 3:00.41, qualifying second fastest for the championship race.

T&T’s Keshorn Walcott exited the men’s javelin event after finishing tenth in Group “A” and 19th overall in yesterday’s qualifying competition.

The reigning Olympic champion threw 78.78 metres in the first round, well short of the 82.50m automatic qualifying distance. He was unable to improve on his opening effort, fouling in round two and landing the javelin 75.84m with his final throw.

Walcott has been plagued by an ankle injury this season. However, he told the Express the injury was not to blame for his disappointing performance.

“I taped it up and it helped. My ankle was okay. I just didn’t have a good competition.”

Walcott said the pressure of being Olympic champion might well have contributed to his elimination.

“It’s always in the back of your mind, but I’ll say my major problem today was my technique. I’m going out there thinking about how far I have to throw. That was my downfall. I didn’t relax. I didn’t execute well.”

Walcott is unlikely to compete again in 2013.

“I think it’s best for me to go home and rest my foot.

“My major lesson,” he continued, “is that when I get injured, stop and recover instead of going through, because it’s hard training with injuries. You can’t do everything you want to do.”

Kai Selvon bowed out of the women’s 200m at the penultimate stage, clocking 23.21 seconds to cop seventh spot in the second of three semifinal heats.

In the opening round, Selvon finished third in heat four in 23.14 to advance automatically to the semis.

“It wasn’t my best run on the bend,” the T&T sprinter told the Express. “It was the best I could have done for now, in that race.”

But while Selvon was not satisfied with the first half of her first round race, she was impressive on the home straight, motoring to the line to secure the final automatic berth up for grabs in the heat.

At 3.17 this morning (T&T time), Lalonde Gordon competes in heat seven in the opening round of the men’s 200m. The T&T athlete will square off against 100m champion Usain Bolt, of Jamaica.

Gordon’s teammate, Kyle Greaux will be on show at 2.35, in the opening heat.

The top three finishers in each of the seven heats will progress automatically to today’s semis.

At 2.17 a.m., T&T’s Aleesha Barber faces the starter in the fifth and final women’s 100m hurdles first round heat. The first four in each heat are guaranteed lanes in the semifinal round, tomorrow.

And at 3.30, T&T will bid for a spot in the women’s 4x400m final. Running in the first of three qualifying heats, Shawna Fermin, Sparkle McKnight, Domonique Williams and Romona Modeste will take on teams from United States, Poland, Ukraine, Botswana and Czech Republic. The top two finishers earn automatic qualification for tomorrow’s final.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Relay men third fastest going into final
T&T Guardian Reports

After Jehue Gordon’s inspiring victory in the 400 metres hurdles at the World Championships in Moscow yesterday, Trinidad and Tobago’s 4x400 metres really team placed second in their semifinal in a time of 3.00.48, which was the third fastest overall, behind USA and Jamaica and qualified for today’s final at 1.30 pm (T&T time).

However, Olympics javelin champion, Keshorn Walcott failed to progress to tomorrow’s final, finishing tenth overall in his event, while Kai Selvon also dropped out of contention in the 200 metres after reaching the semifinals.

The relay quartet of Renny Quow, Jarrin Solomon, La Londe Gordon and Deon Lendore stalked the USA team for the majority of the race with Quow and Solomon running blinders off the first two legs.

Solomon told the T&T Guardian that the objective was to reach the finals. “We did not want to use too much energy. We wanted to gauge ourselves as we look towards a big final showdown on Friday. We are ready, we know this race, we know each other and we have a lot of belief.”

Solomon said T&T will not be taking any of the other teams for granted. “You have to concentrate on everybody because anybody could beat anybody on the day. Look at Russia who won the third semi final today.”

Lendore described T&T’s performance as a good run. “This was about pacing ourselves and ensuring that on Friday we have something left in the tank. So we are just going to go back and continue to get ourselves mentally ready for the final.”

Gordon who was making his first appearance said he was a little slow. But after 100, I started to flow and move better because I have not competed in a 400 in over a month, so it is like waking my body up all over again.”

As to his appearance in the 200 metres heats at 2.35am (TT time) today where he runs from Lane 7 against Olympic champion Usain Bolt in Lane 6, a cautious Gordon would only say: “I will just give it my best and see what happens.”

If he advances, he will have to run the 200 metres semi finals at 11.17 ( TT time)

Walcott’s first throw was 78.78 metres but he scratched in his second throw and his third and final throw was 75.84.

Interestingly , the best throw on the day was by Finland’s Tero Pitkamaki of 84.39, which was Walcott’s season best throw done at the Twilight Games at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. The 12th qualifier’s time was 80.18 metres.

Walcott, clearly disappointed, said he was hoping to do better. “This has been my hardest season so far. My body is changing. It has been pretty tough with injuries, so this year has been really hard.”

Walcott said he is not fully recovered from an ankle injury which has been affecting him throughout the year. My year started off pretty well but it went downhill from there and I have not fully recovered.”

Also going into action today will be the women’s 4x400 metres team in heat two from 11.41 am ( TT time). T&T’s team will run from lane four with Great Britain and Ireland in lane 5 and the Bahamas in lane 7. The top two from each of the three heats, as well as the two fastest losers will progress to the finals.

This is new territory for T&T since it is the first ever 4x400 metres female team at these Championships. The team is Sparkle McKnight, Ramona Modeste, Dominique Williams and Shawna Fermin AB

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Here is link for 14th IAAF World Championships Friday Timetable:
http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-championships/14th-iaaf-world-championships-4873/timetable/byday#day7

And for those who missed the World’s athletics action this Friday Morning 16th August you can click the link below for full real time replay of the morning session in Moscow.

Athletics: World Championships - 2013 - Day 7, Part 1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b038lhw1/Athletics_World_Championships_2013_Day_7_Part_1/

Jonathan Edwards introduces the morning's action from Moscow as more British and global stars look to progress to the next round of their events.

British sprint hurdler Tiffany Porter was on course for a medal at the last World Championships before clipping the penultimate hurdle and finishing fourth. She will be expected to qualify comfortably from the day's heats, along with Australia's Olympic and world champion Sally Pearson.

World junior champions Adam Gemili and Delano Williams compete for Great Britain in the 200m heats, along with team-mate James Ellington and global superstar Usain Bolt.

Commentary is provided by Steve Cram, Andrew Cotter, Paul Dickenson and Brendan Foster.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:46:49 AM by Socapro »

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Now that Lalonde's experiment in the 200m is out of the way (nice warm up), let's regroup for the 4x400m final, and focus on using that 200m speed to get out in the first 100m of his leg and put us in optimal medal position.

Per his (Lalonde's) post-heat interview, Lendore may or may not run based on some soreness, and talk is that Jehue may replace him.

Top medal chances not looking so hot if that's the case.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:55:45 AM by STMB »

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Now that Lalonde's experiment in the 200m is out of the way (nice warm up), let's regroup for the 4x400m final, and focus on using that 200m speed to get out in the first 100m of his leg and put us in optimal medal position.

Per his (Lalonde's) post-heat interview, Lendore may or may not run based on some soreness, and talk is that Jehue may replace him.

Lalonde ent look up to it even in the semi of the 4X4 best to let Juhue run the last leg and hope for the best
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sorry, Lalonde at 80/90% still better than a fresh Jehue in the flat 400m

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Lalonde ent look up to it even in the semi of the 4X4 best to let Juhue run the last leg and hope for the best

what about Cedenio ? whose flat times are better than jehue's ? we cant put this promising youngster through another disappointment and not give him a shot ...he made the team and we should give him a chance if a team member cant do it ... to bring Jehue from outside the 4x4 group is too deflating and could really discourage a young athlete.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

what about Cedenio ? whose flat times are better than jehue's ? we cant put this promising youngster through another disappointment and not give him a shot ...he made the team and we should give him a chance if a team member cant do it ... to bring Jehue from outside the 4x4 group is too deflating and could really discourage a young athlete.

I love Cedenio and wondered why he didn't get a chance to run in the OG heats instead of Alleyne-Forte based on merit, but in a final, it's not just about foot speed but experience, and for that I would rather Lendore or Gordon. Cedenio typically gets out slow, and in a relay it is all about positioning. It is hard even for a faster quartermiler to get around others ahead of him/her in the latter stages of a leg, when not just the line approaches but the risks of an exchange. The exchange itself requires some smarts as the outgoing athlete needs to judge the pace of the incoming runner, take off at the right pace (based on the incoming runner) to get some clearance before taking the baton, without running out of zone or into another runner. So many times you see an incoming athlete in 1st or 2nd but by the time the baton is exchanged, the team might be 3rd or 4th. Once you are there it is harder to regain your position by the end of the leg.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wow - Allyson Felix pulls up in the 200m final.

USA women may not win the 4x100m nor 4x400m relays.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Why they put that fellah to run second leg? Throw away the race
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
From 1st look, it looked like Lalonde ran a brutally bad 2nd leg which put us from 3rd into 6th from which we couldn't recover.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ok so maybe Cedenio should have run eh? Wow, looked like nothing in the tank for Lalonde. He looked toothless.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lalonde with his usual lackadaisical first 100m killed our chances. A 200m/400m man needs to get out on the 2nd leg and establish medal position, that is your job, damn it!!
I hope he concentrates on the 400m and forget this 200m stupidness.

Cedenio did something similar at the Penn Relays so I am not sure he would have done better.

Great leg by Jehue Gordon and Renny Quow.

On all cylinders we should have won that silver, USA was too strong.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
 he ran a pull stones leg ...lalonde  gordon he has to be injured ...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It was Lalonde.. Bad decision to put him on. Especially considering he just ran 2 200m. I would have gone with the next Gordon (Jehue).

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So there were 2 Gordons? Should have gone with Lendore instead of Lalonde

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lendore was sore apparently.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Running Lalonde Gordon on the 2nd leg was our biggest mistake; he has totally lost the form he had earlier this year as was evident in his last place 200m run.
We should have run Deon and left Lalonde out of the squad to recover from his 200m flop unless Deon was ill or injured himself in training or something.
Think we threw away a fight for a possible silver or bronze by running the totally spent or out of form Lalonde.
We ran a slower time in the final than in the Heats, disappointing performance helped by bad selection for the 2nd leg!!  :(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:48:09 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Exactly!

1]; } ?>