March 28, 2024, 04:57:00 PM

Author Topic: Dennis Lawrence Thread  (Read 116086 times)

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dennis Lawrence Thread
« Reply #360 on: October 13, 2017, 02:48:52 AM »
Why we insist to go to people like Gally etc for an opinion. His time has long passed. Time the country move on and move forward. Steupsss

Would Maradona's opinion be rejected because he is from the bygone days.
This was actually posted in the wrong foreign. Was supposed to be for an article where he spoke about an all local team or something so.

What has Gally ever achieved as a manager/coach? That game back in 89 was over 26 years ago. We also qualified back in 2006 rendering his  1 point miss irrelevant. The man is almost 70 years. No spring chicken by today's standards. What's next? Bertille to tell us about youth football? Give some young upcoming coaches some airtime too nah...Everything Gally say MUST make news, be printed and reproduced for wider viewing? Steups.
The way this country going he might even get a state funeral when he passes. As a country we continue to grasp at straws.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #361 on: November 04, 2017, 05:32:35 AM »
Lawrence aims to conquer Caribbean.
By Jonathon Matouk (Guardian).

T&T men’s football head coach, Dennis Lawrence was in a confident mood during his pre-match press conference at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva, yesterday. Lawrence identified the two upcoming regional friendlies against Grenada and Guyana, which will occur on the 11th and 14th of this month respectively, as a perfect opportunity for the team to finish the year on a positive note.

The purpose of the two games he said, is for T&T to begin the process of conquering the Caribbean.

“Until we can conquer the Caribbean again, I will welcome any Caribbean team as an opponent, and these are two good teams so I look forward to the games”.

‘Tallest” alluded to the fact that it will be a great opportunity to give some of the players that missed out on World Cup qualifying action, a chance to prove themselves moving forward.

In response to a few notable exclusions in the team, he affirmed that those players who were not called up for the matches would still be in his plan moving forward.

Apart from focusing on the matches itself, he focused on the long-term development of the team.

One area of concern addressed was that of assistant coach Sol Campbell’s status with the team moving forward.

Lawrence said that the TTFA will try to find a resolution to Campbell’s current contract, which states that he only needs to be available for World Cup qualifying campaign matches, but he pointed out that to do the job he should be living in Trinidad.

Campbell currently resides in England, which could create problems moving forward.

When alluding to the future development of the football program, he identified the home for football as a key platform.

“The home for football will hopefully serve as a platform for the team in terms of training sessions, coach meetings, nutritional balance, match analysis, and everything which needs to be instilled for success,” he said.

According to Lawrence, the TTFA will also hopefully announce something that is happening with the youth team that he said will be a fantastic opportunity for the development of the program.

In addition to the two matches, the TTFA confirmed that a third match will be added to the program.

It will feature the national under-20 women’s team playing against a select team from the senior women and the under-17 team dubbed the President’s Eleven.

The match will take place at 4 pm prior to the senior men’s match against Grenada.

T&T’S LAST MATCH AGAINST GRENADA:

T&T 2 - 2 Grenada
April 29, 2017
St Georges, Guyana
International Friendly

T&T’S LAST MATCH AGAINST GRENADA IN T&T

T&T 2 - 0 Grenada
April 26, 2008
Macoya
International Friendly

T&T’S LAST MATCH AGAINST GUYANA

T&T 3 - 0 Guyana
November 15, 2011
PoS (forfeited match)
T&T 1 - 2 Guyana
November 11, 2011
St Georges

*Both matches were FIFA World Cup 2014 Preliminary Competition COCACAF Zone qualifying matches.

T&T’S 24-MAN SQUAD FOR THE INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLIES:

GK – Adrian Foncette, Gregory Ranjtsingh, Glenroy Samuel,

DEF – Sheldon Bateau, Aubrey David, Curtis Gonzales, Triston Hodge, Alvin Jones, Josiah Trimmingham, Kevon Villaroel, Mekeil Williams,

MID – Hashim Arcia, Neil Benjamin, Levi Garcia, Nathaniel Garcia, Kevan George, Nathan Lewis, Jared London, Neveal Hackshaw, Kathon St Hilaire, Kevin Molino,

FWD – Jamille Boatswain, Akeem Roach, Shahdon Winchester.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #362 on: November 07, 2017, 02:46:30 AM »
Lawrence calls for improvement in Pro League, SSFL.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

Dennis Lawrence, coach of the Trinidad and Tobago men’s football team, has made a call for improvements, within both the TT Pro League and the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL).

Lawrence was speaking at a media conference at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva on Friday.

Asked about his view on the state of the Pro League, TT’s top domestic football league, Lawrence acknowledged, “I think the League is in a state at the moment (in) that it needs assistance.

“The League is not where it should be, in my view, and I think we’ll like to see that improved. One of the biggest things (affecting) the League at the moment is the funding.

“If we can try and come together, working with the League, working with the TTFA (TT Football Association), if we can try and help in the funding department, that can only improve the League,” Lawrence continued. “If you have a strong League, it helps the national team.”

The ex-national central defender noted, “We need to try somehow or the other to come together to try and improve the Pro League. The people who are working in that League, I’m very sure they’re working very hard, but they need help. The idea is to try and be able to help them (to) improve the Pro League.”

Another local football tournament which have been in the news lately, albeit for the wrong reasons, is the SSFL.

Questioned as to what can serve to improve the competition, Lawrence, the ex-Malick Senior Comprehensive (now Malick Secondary) player, replied, “I think people need to start taking responsibility and recognise that they are students.

“We cannot afford to sacrifice winning by any means necessary. We need to do the right things. These are students and they must remain students, who are allowed to play in a curricular activity, away from school. We cannot afford to lose the focus on that.

“The idea is now for the League to just understand that we need to keep it as a Schools League and not run it as a top professional league. Hopefully, they would get that sorted and that would only help to develop players for the Trinidad and Tobago team.”

Lawrence was appointed as the TT men’s coach in January, but failed to guide the team to the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

He admitted, “I think the two games that let us down in that World Cup campaign (were) the Honduras and Panama ones (in September) because, up until Panama, we were still in with a chance to qualify for Russia.”

Lawrence said, “What I would probably do different is try now to see if I can have more contact time with the players. That would be probably the biggest change I would make. The idea now is to put together a programme that will give us that opportunity (so) when competition-time comes around again, we’re ready.”

Recently, football administrator, match commissioner and announcer Wayne Cunningham has been performing duties as the team’s media official.

But he stated, “It’s temporary. Shaun (Fuentes) is still on leave. We have some big events coming up. We should see him back soon, according to what I’m hearing. But I’m just doing what I’m appointed for.

“(I was) asked to be here as the media consultant for various things, with my main focus on the men’s national team. And that’s where it is up to now,” Cunningham ended.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lawrence supplies football gear
« Reply #363 on: July 19, 2018, 06:42:28 PM »
Lawrence supplies football gear, says “I want to create better human beings”
TTFA Media

National senior men’s head coach Dennis Lawrence, is challenging the football team at his alma mater Barataria North Secondary School, to stay focused and disciplined both on and off the field and more gifts will come their way.

The team at Barataria North Secondary received an extra boost towards their training as Lawrence donated footballs to his former school earlier this month. Lawrence, who was part of the T&T senior football team that competed at the 2006 World Cup in Germany, attended the school when it was called Barataria Junior Secondary School.

Among those present to accept the gift from Lawrence were captain Dimitri Gidaree, midfielder Jahquille Phillip, defender Keian Joseph, coach and PE teacher Johan Redhead, acting principal Colette Somarsingh-Phillip and TT Football Association media consultant Wayne Cunningham, another past student of the school. Barataria North will compete in the East Zone senior grade division next season.

Lawrence said the determination being showed by the team encouraged him to help his former school.

“One of the things that stood out to me was the drive by the vice-principal and the ambition of some of the players and the head coach,” Lawrence said.

“We are in a situation now where I want to support in all aspects. I want to create national players for our country and I want to create better human beings and better young adults. These boys have ambition to represent TT at some level, most of them at senior level. I think it is important that myself as an ex student of the school (to help), not just this school but schools across TT – we have to support them.”

Lawrence said he will give more to the school if they conduct themselves properly. “We spoke about discipline, communication and attending classes and we all agreed that we are going to do a contractual agreement.

If these students apply themselves correctly in terms of coming to school on time, coming to school attired properly, attending classes etcetera, I will continue to support them,” Lawrence said.

Lawrence explained he will give more footballs throughout the season if the players show dedication by attending training with a full complement of players.

Somarsingh-Phillip was thankful for the gesture by Lawrence saying, “Our school appreciates this generous gift that you Mr Dennis Lawrence have made towards our boys football team today. We are aware Mr Lawrence, that this gift is really a display of your support towards your alma mater and also a showing of your desire to motivate and uplift our boys football team.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 20, 2018, 06:56:10 AM »
He for real ?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 20, 2018, 08:30:17 AM »
He for real ?
why not? let all of us individually match it with all of our different conditions and motivations.. how much better it would be!?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #366 on: September 19, 2018, 12:54:58 AM »
Lawrence to feature at FIFA Conference.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago Senior Men’s Head Coach Dennis Lawrence will represent the Concacaf Confederation on a five-person panel to discuss the FIFA World Cup Russia 2018. This is a feature event of a special conference hosted by football’s governing body on September 23 in London, which will sum up the results of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia.

Lawrence and Technical Director Anton Corneal will be amongst the head coaches and technical directors of all 211 member associations, as well as the technical experts of all six confederations, who were invited by FIFA to the conference, which aims to analyse the FIFA World Cup from a technical and tactical point of view, identify trends and compare the main findings with previous editions of the FIFA World Cup based on the report by FIFA’s Technical Study Group (TSG) and assess the impact of VAR on the game.

The other participants in the special panel will be Gareth Southgate (Coach of England), Tite (Coach of Brazil), Aliou Cisse (Coach of Senegal) and Juan Antonio Pizzi (Coach of Saudi Arabia). The discussion will be moderated by ex- players Clarence Seedorf (Netherlands) and Alex Scott (England)

“It is indeed an honour and privilege to be in this illustrious group of coaches but it’s also good for Trinidad and Tobago as we would be front and centre on the world stage once more” Lawrence told TTFA Media. “For me, this is another learning experience which will serve us well as we aim to take Trinidad and Tobago Football forward on and off the pitch. The knowledge which will be gained from this conference could only be helpful and it’s up to us to apply said knowledge in ways which will benefit our football” added the Head Coach.

The FIFA website has indicated that World Cup winning coach Didier Deschamps will share his view on France’s path to glory at the Conference in London.

Besides Deschamps and Southgate, the other FIFA World Cup semi-finalist coaches Croatia’s Zlatko Dalic and Belgium’s Roberto Martinez as well as Russia’s Stanislav Cherchesov and 2014 FIFA World Cup champion manager Joachim Low have registered for the conference. More than 140 coaches have already signed up and the list is set to increase.

“I obviously responded favourably to FIFA’s invitation as soon as it was received,” said Deschamps. “This kind of meeting is always a privileged moment to see my colleagues from other nations and share our experiences. I have always felt the utmost respect for all of them and our title of world champions will not change that point of view.”

T&T Technical Director Corneal also sees tremendous benefits coming out of the conference, “This will give us an idea of all the new trends that you see happening in the game today and allow us to analyse them and the effects, such as the VAR. We will also take a look at the preparation of players coming off long domestic seasons and this will be done region by region, so we will be interested in the comparisons.” Corneal expressed to TTFA Media.

The TD will be in a dual role at the gathering as a FIFA Technical expert and intends to garner the information from the conference with a view of sharing with coaches locally and regionally, paying special attention to goals scored and where they came from and the role of key players throughout the tournament.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #367 on: September 26, 2018, 12:46:24 AM »
Lawrence featured in review of FIFA Conference.
TTFA media.

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Dennis Lawrence was featured in a FIFA TV review titled “Coaches of the World United” following last weekend’s FIFA Football Conference in London during which a thorough review and analysis of the 2018 World Cup in Russia as done. Featuring in the clip was FIFA President Gianni Infantino, France World Cup winning coach Didier Deschamps. England manager Gareth Southgate, Germany’s Joachim Low, Spain’s Luis Enrique, Belgium’s Rpberto Martinez, Iran’s Carlos Queroz and head of FIFA Technical Study Group, Carlos Alberto Perreira.

While on stage for a panel discussion which lasted just around 90 minutes, Lawrence had to speak on trends he observed during the World Cup and how it would affect CONCACAF in the future.

“I think when we look back over a few years, a lot of the emphasis was on pressing the ball high up the pitch, stopping the opposition from playing out of the back. I think in this World Cup a lot of the teams decided to drop a bit deeper and start their line of confrontation and allow the team to stay compact,” Lawrence said.

At the end of the event, some of the participants shared their thoughts and experiences and stressed the importance of holding gatherings of this nature, which bring together the football family and leave room for reflective analysis.Attendees also held working sessions and discussed topics such as the number of goals scored in Russia, corners are taken, the number made from outside the area and the relationship between penalties awarded and marked, among other details.

Nearly 200 member associations were represented at the FIFA Football Conference
On the agenda was an analysis of the prevalent tactics and trends at Russia 2018 while some of the coaches in attendance gave their opinion on the event and its findings

“It’s very important to hold events like this. It gives us access to analysis carried out by highly experienced coaches and figures, which will undoubtedly be of great use to us. It’s also a fantastic opportunity to spend a bit of time with other coaches, because, normally, when we see each other for a match, we don’t have much time, whereas at an event like this one we can relate to each other better,” said France’s Deschamps.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A NOTE TO DENNIS LAWRENCE
« Reply #368 on: October 17, 2018, 12:24:46 PM »
Good day mr lawrence.

i am hoping that you visit this site from time to time to see what's taking place in the world of football or maybe even what's taking place domestically. i know i do, and i am extremely happy to have such a valuable asset and a constant flow of information at my disposal thanks to flex and tallman, god bless these guys.

my reason for penning this letter is because of a particular concern i have with our goal keeping situation. i remember watching you on our road to south africa campaign when you were there playing along side mr marvin phillip so i know you're very familiar with his capabilities both pro and cons, and my question would be to you, since the blind could see that mr phillip is such an inconsistent custodian why do you continue with him when we have much better options?

i know marchan may not be one for the future as well as the many other young talents coming out of the pro and super league, but by golly why not actually give greg ranjitsingh a chance before canada does the unthinkable and snatch up this promising custodian?

i've never seen this goalie in person, but i have watched a couple of his games and his stats also give credence that he is a worthy opponent, so why pussy foot and linger with this player?

IMO marvin phillip is done and washed up and would never be a top notch goal keeper. just remember the most successful teams have two things in common, a prolific goal scorer or two, and a solid nerves of steel goal keeper, and we saw this in the last campaign with navas.

the USA lost out on the world cup to us because tim howard was washed up and had lost a step or two. and we know all too well that there was absolutely no way those goals were going in vs a younger tim howard a keeper we've never had the privilege of scoring on until that faithful night. there was also no way those two goals were scoring on navas or loris, especially the second goal. we saw it when we went to costa rica how navas tended goal like his life was on the line.

we all know marvin is a capable goal keep, but not capable enough as a first choice international custodian, and even if you may not feel the same about greg, then please do find another goalie that has what it takes to keep us in contention because IMO marvin should be given his leave and a nice gold watch thanking him for his services.

come on dennis, we could do much better than marvin phillip, why not give greg ranjitsingh a chance just for the hell of it.

MODERATORS PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF I VIOLATED THE RULES, BUT I WOULD HOPE THAT YOU NOT MERGE RIGHT AWAY.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 12:37:28 PM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: A NOTE TO DENNIS LAWRENCE
« Reply #369 on: October 18, 2018, 11:07:26 AM »
Am I the only one disturbed by the fact that Marvin Phillips is still a main stay goalie on our national team? this man is known for leaking some soft text book goals while saving the difficult ones and this has been happening for over a decade, case and point the soft goal he allowed on sunday.

this guy is 35 yrs old, it’s time for Marvin to call it a day on international football. give Greg a shot.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 18, 2018, 12:16:51 PM »
No you're not. I'm puzzled as to how Greg hasn't been called into any friendlies yet when he's consistently playing at a higher level than our other gk's, this is the time to evaluate players not during GC.
Then again, I know the federation broke and it presents a challenge during friendlies but I know DL will benefit from playing 2 games during int'l break even if one of the games is an unofficial friendly against a club or U23's in the countries we visit. This way he can get a better look at the fringe players who don't get much playing time so he can evaluate them to see if they're capable of executing his tactics. Then he knows if to bring them back or identify other players. I saw a guy came off the bench in the 90th minute of the last friendly, how does the coach know if he's capable?

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 18, 2018, 06:28:58 PM »
No you're not. I'm puzzled as to how Greg hasn't been called into any friendlies yet when he's consistently playing at a higher level than our other gk's, this is the time to evaluate players not during GC.
Then again, I know the federation broke and it presents a challenge during friendlies but I know DL will benefit from playing 2 games during int'l break even if one of the games is an unofficial friendly against a club or U23's in the countries we visit. This way he can get a better look at the fringe players who don't get much playing time so he can evaluate them to see if they're capable of executing his tactics. Then he knows if to bring them back or identify other players. I saw a guy came off the bench in the 90th minute of the last friendly, how does the coach know if he's capable?
i feel you. as much as i like lawrence and wants to see him continue because i don't think we will get anywhere by changing coaches on a consistent basis when they don't live up to our expectations, he also has to make wise decisions and continuing with marvin phillips and even to some extent adrian foncete is a bit challenging and ridiculous, though foncete is acceptable phillips is certainly not.

these lads are not serious and so too is the whole football fraternity in TT. they have to start biting the bullet from now if there's to be any success in the game, just imagine a player hitsting his stride at 28 and 29 ala (cummings, nathan lewis and boatswain) this is totally absurd, in the UK if a player doesn't blossom and bloom by 24 then is good bye to all things international and hello league one. they can't be serious about football in trinidad and tobago, they just can't.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:38:48 PM by pull stones »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #372 on: October 22, 2018, 03:41:16 AM »
Football for a Cause.
TTFA Media.

Dennis and Friends come together for football match in aid of flood victims

In a concerted effort to provide support and assistance to citizens who have suffered in parts of Trinidad and Tobago due to the disastrous flooding over the past couple days, a group of former National footballers and sporting enthusiasts have joined together to host a fundraiser for flood victims.

“Dennis Lawrence and Friends” led by current National Senior Team head coach and player whose goal took T&T to the Germany 2006 World Cup Finals, will be staging a charity football match on Friday 26th, October at a venue to be announced.

Right now the event is in its planning stages and any interested parties are welcomed to join.

“We’ve decided to come together for the cause because it’s hit home and touched a lot of us. It is unimaginable to see our own people having to go through this kind of experience that they’ve had to over the past two days. People are stranded, they are suffering and they need us now, We will use the power of sport and football to make our contribution,” Lawrence said.

“What we’ve done is gotten a group of former national players from the Strike squad come right up, including a few of my teammates from the 2006 squad to come together to put on the game and we have a few local personalities and celebrities who have come on board as well. And whoever else is interested in being part of this drive and can offer assistance, you are all welcomed at this time,” said the former Defence Force man.

“You don’t need to be a footballer, contributions of any kind will be accepted because it’s all going to the victims.”

All Proceeds from the event will go towards flood victims. Further details on the event will be forthcoming over the next couple days. Interested persons can contact 720 4188, 352 0729 or 681 5429.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 22, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
Stars Line up for Friday’s “Football for a Cause” relief match at Hasely Crawford Stadium
TTFA Media

The interest continues to grow towards Friday’s “Football for a Cause” flood relief football match hosted by Dennis Lawrence and Friends. The match takes place at the Hasely Crawford Stadium with a kick off time of 7:30pm.

Several of this country’s top national team players of the past as well as guest personalities have made themselves available to participate in the match including Kenwyne Jones, Stern John, Cyd Gray, Lawrence, Arnold Dwarika, Gary Glasgow, Ansil Alcock, Anthony Wolfe, Clayton Ince, Clint Marcelle, Wesley Webb, Kevin Ollivierre and Earl Jean. Among those from the Strike Squad era who will line up include Michael Maurice, Floyd Lawrence, Clayton Morris, Marvin Faustin, Larry Joseph, Hutson Charles, Kerry Jameson and Brian Williams along with Russell Munroe, Adarryl John and Keyeno Thomas. Some of this country’s women footballers will also be on show including Tasha St Louis, Mariah Shade, Janine Francois, Ayanna Russell and Karyn Forbes among others as well as Netball personalities Anika La Roche-Brice, Tia Bruno, Fiona Holder and Sue Anne Cordner and cricketer Kevon Cooper.

Other local sporting bodies have also accepted the invitation to join in support including Cricket, NAAA, Swimming Association, Rugby, Netball and Volleyball.

Maximus Dan and Ultimate Rejects are also on board to provide entertainment on the night.

Former Trinidad and Tobago topscorer John, currently a National Team assistant coach added, “The response has been very encouraging so far. It’s all for a great cause and we’re gathering any amount of support that we can to reach people as far and wide as possible. I know a lot of the guys are really looking forward to the event and the match to come out and put on a good show of football and humanity for our fellow citizens.”

Tickets for the match can be purchased at the venue on the day and patrons are encouraged to contribute items at the venue (on gameday only) or any of the Healthnet Locations nationwide at Saddle Road in Maraval, Eastern Main Road, Barataria, Eastern Main Road in Tacarigua, Munroe Road, Cunupia, JTA Plaza in Couva and South Coast at Princess Margaret street in San Fernando as well at Lounge 63 on Ariapita Avenue between now and Saturday.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PIkurCPKxwo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PIkurCPKxwo</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #374 on: December 03, 2018, 01:34:37 AM »
Lawrence calls for discipline among youths.
By Joel Julien (Guardian).

Ded­i­ca­tion, de­ter­mi­na­tion, and dis­ci­pline are the three traits nec­es­sary to be suc­cess­ful in life, the head coach of the T&T Men's Na­tion­al Se­nior Foot­ball team Den­nis Lawrence point­ed out to the young foot­ballers from the Mor­vant area. How­ev­er, he stressed that of all these dis­ci­pline is the key.

He made the state­ments dur­ing the Church on the Rock Foot­ball Awards cer­e­mo­ny held in Mor­vant on Fri­day night as he chal­lenged the young foot­ballers to turn the neg­a­tives in their lives in­to pos­i­tives be­cause as a young­ster he left school at age 15.

"I didn't have the op­por­tu­ni­ty to play in the Sec­ondary Schools Foot­ball league, I played 12 min­utes in the In­ter­col, that was it, 12 min­utes," he said.

"I was told by the coach at the time that you will nev­er make it in foot­ball be­cause you're too small, these were the things that were told to me," Lawrence said.

At age 17 Lawrence said he got his first job work­ing at a su­per­mar­ket for $135 a week.

He stayed there for four years while al­so play­ing foot­ball for Cale­do­nia AIA.

Lawrence even­tu­al­ly left that job when he got in­to the Trinidad and To­ba­go De­fence Force.

Af­ter spend­ing four years in the TTDF he went to the Unit­ed King­dom to play foot­ball.

And at age 24 Lawrence fi­nal­ly got his first chance at play­ing for the T&T Se­nior Men's Foot­ball team and wore the na­tion­al colours 89 times.

The lanky de­fend­er point­ed out to the gath­er­ing that among those ap­pear­ances were the World Cup fi­nals in Ger­many in 2006. In fact, it was his goal against Bahrain in the away match on No­vem­ber 15, 2005, that qual­i­fied the So­ca War­riors as one of the 32 fi­nal­ists.

He thanked God and laud­ed his team-mates for that op­por­tu­ni­ty. "What was great about it is I learnt how to change the neg­a­tives to pos­i­tives and make it part of my process," Lawrence said about his jour­ney through life.

He con­tin­ued, "So what I did was every sin­gle time some­body said to me Den­nis you can­not do this, I took it and I showed them that I can. You have to be­lieve in your­self. For me it's you ei­ther win or you learn," he said.

Lawrence ad­vised the young foot­ballers that an im­por­tant part of life is learn­ing to dif­fer­en­ti­ate be­tween "friends and as­so­ciates".

He point­ed out, "It took me a while to un­der­stand the dif­fer­ence be­tween friends and as­so­ciates. Your friends will en­cour­age you to do the right thing," he said. "You need to be able to dif­fer­en­ti­ate them very quick­ly be­cause if you want to achieve things in your life if you want to ac­com­plish things if you want to be part of the process to great things you have to be­come in­de­pen­dent."

The teams ho­n­oured at the cer­e­mo­ny on Fri­day were Mor­vant Foot­ball Acad­e­my, Sha­ka F.C., Mal­ick Sec­ondary School, East Mu­cu­rapo Sec­ondary and Church on the Rock F.C.

Church on the Rock, which is part of the Open Bible Stan­dard Church­es, be­lieves it can utilise foot­ball to help the youth in Mor­vant, se­nior pas­tor Rev. Dr Ben­jamin Agard said.

And as such has placed an em­pha­sis on de­vel­op­ing the sport in the area, he said.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dennis Lawrence installed as favourite for the Wrexham manager's job
« Reply #375 on: December 04, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »
By Dan Heald (the Leader)

The former Reds captain is currently 2/1 with SkyBet and Bet Victor to succeed Sam Ricketts, whose departure for Shrewsbury Town was confirmed by the club on Monday.

Lawrence, who made 198 appearances for the Reds in a five year spell between 2001-2006, has been slashed from odds of 8-1 to take the role.

Currently in charge of his native Trinidad and Tobago, the 44-year-old has moved ahead of current assistant manager Graham Barrow whose odds are currently 3/1.

The two coaches have worked together previously at both Wigan and Everton under Roberto Martinez.

Club officials have assured fans that they will move swiftly to fill the managerial vacancy, with a slew of other potential candidates available at longers odds.

A statement issued following Ricketts' exit said: "Wrexham AFC are in a strong position after 22 league games of the 2018-19 season. We would like to thank Sam for his efforts and for the work he did while at the football club.

“We are fully focused on further improving upon this situation going forward.

"Wrexham AFC have already begun the process to appoint Sam’s successor with Graham Barrow taking charge of the first team on an interim basis.

“We will make further announcements regarding this matter as soon as possible.”

Recently-sacked Shrewsbury boss John Askey is available at 6/1, with the likes of Kevin Nolan and former Reds striker Andy Morrell priced at 8/1.

Darren Ferguson is another ex-Red in the running, with former Ebbsfleet boss Daryl McMahon available at the same price of 12/1.

A wealth of experienced managers comprise the mid-market options, with Russell Slade (14/1), Phil Brown (16/1) and Gary Bowyer (16/1) all in the running.

Outsiders for the role include the more youthful Craig Bellamy and Harry Kewell (both 20/1), while Ian Holloway, Owen Coyle and Russell Wilcox available at a healthy 25/1 price.

Wrexham will hold a press conference on Friday morning to provide further updates ahead of their home clash with Eastleigh.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 04, 2018, 01:13:06 PM »
 :)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 04, 2018, 03:02:06 PM »
Wow! Didn't expect that.
Let's wait and see what happens.

If he is offered and accepts, well . . .

For T&T back to instability . . .under current TTFA leadership
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 04, 2018, 03:28:18 PM »
Wow! Didn't expect that.

What you think will happen?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #379 on: December 04, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
By Dan Heald (the Leader)

The former Reds captain is currently 2/1 with SkyBet and Bet Victor to succeed Sam Ricketts, whose departure for Shrewsbury Town was confirmed by the club on Monday.

Lawrence, who made 198 appearances for the Reds in a five year spell between 2001-2006, has been slashed from odds of 8-1 to take the role.

Currently in charge of his native Trinidad and Tobago, the 44-year-old has moved ahead of current assistant manager Graham Barrow whose odds are currently 3/1.

The two coaches have worked together previously at both Wigan and Everton under Roberto Martinez.

Club officials have assured fans that they will move swiftly to fill the managerial vacancy, with a slew of other potential candidates available at longers odds.

A statement issued following Ricketts' exit said: "Wrexham AFC are in a strong position after 22 league games of the 2018-19 season. We would like to thank Sam for his efforts and for the work he did while at the football club.

“We are fully focused on further improving upon this situation going forward.

"Wrexham AFC have already begun the process to appoint Sam’s successor with Graham Barrow taking charge of the first team on an interim basis.

“We will make further announcements regarding this matter as soon as possible.”

Recently-sacked Shrewsbury boss John Askey is available at 6/1, with the likes of Kevin Nolan and former Reds striker Andy Morrell priced at 8/1.

Darren Ferguson is another ex-Red in the running, with former Ebbsfleet boss Daryl McMahon available at the same price of 12/1.

A wealth of experienced managers comprise the mid-market options, with Russell Slade (14/1), Phil Brown (16/1) and Gary Bowyer (16/1) all in the running.

Outsiders for the role include the more youthful Craig Bellamy and Harry Kewell (both 20/1), while Ian Holloway, Owen Coyle and Russell Wilcox available at a healthy 25/1 price.

Wrexham will hold a press conference on Friday morning to provide further updates ahead of their home clash with Eastleigh.

Christmas come early lol good news for TT football, next is djw, hopefully...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #380 on: December 04, 2018, 03:49:53 PM »
Wow! Didn't expect that.

Removing stooges translates to stability, instability is having these yes men around longer

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 04, 2018, 04:31:28 PM »
Your national team coach about to be poached by a team playing in the conference. Laughable.

We really need to stop pretending we are anything in football.

Are they suppose to pay compensation if they take DL? Can they even afford it?

Does that mean that we should look for our next coach in the league 2 and conferences of the world. Is that our true level? Seriously asking
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:34:13 PM by congo »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 04, 2018, 04:35:58 PM »
Good for him if he gets it, he'll develop from the day to day consistent duties and responsibilities of a manager, dealing with players and decision making. That type of experience is essential for a NT coach iMO. He'll most likely be getting paid on time as well.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 04, 2018, 05:12:08 PM »
Wow! Didn't expect that.

Under current Administration? The likes of Tom Saintfiet . . .Shabazz
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:15:11 PM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #384 on: December 05, 2018, 01:51:01 AM »
T&T may lose Lawrence to Wrexham.
The Leader.

T&T se­nior men's foot­ball team pro­gramme may face a se­ri­ous set back if Wrex­ham Foot­ball Club in the Unit­ed King­dom gets its wish to lure and sign T&T coach Den­nis Lawrence. Re­ports out in the Unit­ed King­dom press sug­gests that coach Lawrence has emerged as the book­mak­ers’ favourite to be in­stalled as the next per­ma­nent Wrex­ham man­ag­er.

How­ev­er, a source close to the TTFA said that Lawrence has un­fin­ished busi­ness with the So­ca War­riors and the chances of him sign­ing for the Wrex­ham job is very, very slim and not in his fu­ture plans. T&T has no games sched­uled un­til Feb­ru­ary and af­ter that, the team's fo­cus is on the Gold Cup in mid-year.

Ef­forts to con­tact Lawrence for a state­ment proved fu­tile.

Ac­cord­ing to the re­port Lawrence, the for­mer Reds cap­tain is cur­rent­ly 2/1 with Sky­Bet and Bet Vic­tor to suc­ceed Sam Rick­etts, whose de­par­ture for Shrews­bury Town was con­firmed by the club on Mon­day.

Lawrence, who made 198 ap­pear­ances for the Reds in a five-year spell be­tween 2001-2006, has been slashed from odds of 8-1 to take the role.

Cur­rent­ly, in charge of his na­tive T&T, the 44-year-old has moved ahead of cur­rent as­sis­tant man­ag­er Gra­ham Bar­row whose odds are cur­rent­ly 3/1.

The two coach­es have worked to­geth­er pre­vi­ous­ly at both Wigan and Ever­ton un­der Rober­to Mar­tinez.

Club of­fi­cials have as­sured fans that they will move swift­ly to fill the man­age­r­i­al va­can­cy, with a slew of oth­er po­ten­tial can­di­dates avail­able at longers odds.

A state­ment is­sued fol­low­ing Rick­etts’ ex­it said: “Wrex­ham AFC is in a strong po­si­tion af­ter 22 league games of the 2018-19 sea­son. We would like to thank Sam for his ef­forts and for the work he did while at the foot­ball club.

“We are ful­ly fo­cused on fur­ther im­prov­ing up­on this sit­u­a­tion go­ing for­ward.

“Wrex­ham AFC have al­ready be­gun the process to ap­point Sam’s suc­ces­sor with Gra­ham Bar­row tak­ing charge of the first team on an in­ter­im ba­sis.

“We will make fur­ther an­nounce­ments re­gard­ing this mat­ter as soon as pos­si­ble.”

Re­cent­ly-sacked Shrews­bury boss John Askey is avail­able at 6/1, with the likes of Kevin Nolan and for­mer Reds strik­er Andy Mor­rell priced at 8/1.

Dar­ren Fer­gu­son is an­oth­er ex-Red in the run­ning, with for­mer Ebb­s­fleet boss Daryl McMa­hon avail­able at the same price of 12/1.

A wealth of ex­pe­ri­enced man­agers com­prise the mid-mar­ket op­tions, with Rus­sell Slade (14/1), Phil Brown (16/1) and Gary Bowyer (16/1) all in the run­ning.

Out­siders for the role in­clude the more youth­ful Craig Bel­lamy and Har­ry Kewell (both 20/1), while Ian Hol­loway, Owen Coyle and Rus­sell Wilcox avail­able at a healthy 25/1 price.

Wrex­ham will hold a press con­fer­ence on Fri­day morn­ing to pro­vide fur­ther up­dates ahead of their home clash with East­leigh.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 05, 2018, 02:24:05 AM »
Hype ? Or just Tan-ta-na

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 05, 2018, 07:59:24 AM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTFA Statement on Lawrence’s link to Wrexham job
« Reply #387 on: December 05, 2018, 04:13:43 PM »
TTFA Statement on Lawrence’s link to Wrexham job
TTFA Media

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association has taken note of the contents of reports emanating out of Wrexham, Wales indicating that National Senior Men’s Team head coach Mr Dennis Lawrence is a leading candidate to take up the manager’s role at his former club.

The TTFA wishes to state that it has no intentions of allowing its current employee, Mr Lawrence, to engage in discussions with the club regarding the possibilities of a move and a subsequent step down from his position as Head Coach of the Men’s Senior National Team. The FA has engaged in discussions with Mr Lawrence on this matter and is pleased to have his understanding and cooperation.

Wrexham is at present taking steps towards  an appointment and Lawrence is currently odds on with BetVictor to be the latest to take the position.

Lawrence, who made 198 appearances for the Reds in a five year spell between 2001-2006, is currently ahead of assistant manager Graham Barrow, whose odds are currently 16/1.Other potential candidates include John Barnes (6/1), John Askey, who Ricketts has replaced at Shrewsbury, at 8/1, Darren Ferguson and Dave Challinor (16/1), Kevin Nolan and Andy Morrell (20/1).Other notable names linked include Craig Bellamy and Harry Kewell (25/1), Brian McDermott and Ian Holloway (33/1).

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 05, 2018, 05:17:25 PM »
Never thought I would see the day a TTFA media release referenced gambling ratios.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:24:09 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 05, 2018, 06:21:32 PM »
Never thought I would see the day a TTFA media release referenced gambling ratios.

You know they more than likely cut and paste from a Brit. newspaper.

1]; } ?>