April 29, 2024, 01:30:00 AM

Author Topic: LOCAL COACHES MUST DEVELOP THEMSELVES  (Read 810 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
LOCAL COACHES MUST DEVELOP THEMSELVES
« on: August 18, 2013, 05:41:27 PM »
LOCAL COACHES MUST DEVELOP THEMSELVES
By STEPHON NICHOLAS (T&T Newsday) Sunday, August 18 2013

Dr Ian Hypolite, coach of Trinidad and Tobago’s second World Championship gold medallist Jehue Gordon, believes local coaches deserve much more respect than they now get for the work they do with TT’s athletes.

Gordon, a student of the University of the West Indies, brought glory to himself and TT on Thursday with a remarkable finish that still has sport enthusiasts talking about it.

Coming off the last hurdle in the Men’s 400m hurdles Final at the World Championships in Moscow, Russia, Gordon’s long and powerful strides saw him close the gap on American Michael Tinsley and pip him on the line to snatch the gold.

Not only did the 21-year-old athlete’s success bring a lot of joy to the country but local coaches also felt a bit of pride as Gordon had rejected several offers of scholarships abroad to train at home under Dr Hypolite.

In an email response to Sunday Newsday yesterday, Dr Hypolite expressed tremendous elation on Gordon’s performance and believes his success has vindicated his decision to remain at home.

“It is a unique feeling. Very few coaches have had such an opportunity and I feel blessed and honoured to be in this position. There have been many naysayers who have expressed (the view) that Jehue could not develop locally.

“I am happy to have justified Jehue’s confidence in me and the rest of his locally-based managerial team. My wish is for more respect to be accorded to local coaches and for local coaches to develop themselves to meet the challenges inherent in producing elite athletes,” he stated.

Commending Gordon and his coach on Friday was Dr Iva Gloudon, Director of Sport and Physical Education at the St Augustine campus, who is currently on special leave, seconded to Jamaica as Trinidad and Tobago’s High Commissioner.

Gloudon said she tried to dissuade Gordon from joining the regional university campus as a student-athlete as she was not sure whether the necessary system was in place for him to succeed on both fronts.

“I tried to talk him out of it because while we in sport were prepared, I did not think that the wider campus of the University of the West Indies, St Augustine, understood how or was sufficiently prepared to embrace an elite student-athlete,” Gloudon said on Friday in a telephone interview from Kingston, Jamaica.

Gloudon paid homage to Gordon and his coach Dr Ian Hypolite:

“To his coach I sing all praises. They are the ones that should receive all of the kudos.”

Meanwhile, Allan Baboolal, secretary of the National Association of Athletics Administration (NAAA), believes Gordon’s success at the World Championships has paved the way for more athletes from this country to stay at home to train with coaches who have the capabilities and knowledge to help athletes reach their potential. “Of course we appreciate the fact that someone training at home can win a World gold medal. Once you go to the (United) States (to attend school and train) you’re indebted to the university.

“I think Jehue has paved the way for athletes to stay at home. When you are trained locally and do well, that is motivation for more athletes to stay,” the NAAA secretary said.

Baboolal also heaped praises on Dr Hypolite for his tactical input throughout the Championships in Moscow as well as the perfect execution of strategy by Gordon on the track.

The former World Junior champion won his heat on Monday comfortably in 49.52 seconds before returning Tuesday to claim top spot in his semifinal race in a faster time of 48.10.

The Maraval resident would peak in the final, giving it his all after the final hurdle to snatch the gold in a photo finish in a new personal best and national record.

“It was the world leading time for the year and clearly shows he was at his best. He himself admitted he’s become stronger and has been doing a lot of endurance work,” Baboolal said.

He said given TT’s major success in javelin (Keshorn Walcott gold at the London Olympics) and now hurdles, he was hoping more local athletes would gravitate to these less popular events.

“One year has passed since Keshorn won his medal. Something has to be done to encourage others to do these events. After the javelin gold, we thought there would be a flood of people wanting to take part in that event but we have not seen that.

“We hope to do more to encourage others to join these events,” he said.

The World Championships come to an end today but no information was available as to when the TT athletes, including Gordon, would be returning home.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:26:42 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>