March 28, 2024, 09:17:08 AM

Author Topic: Even boneless roti go kill we early  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Even boneless roti go kill we early
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:27:43 AM »
SALT!! :P

This famously tasty roti is worse for you than a slice of pizza

DISH: Boneless chicken roti

RESTAURANT: Island Foods

PRICE: $7.75, including tax

Serving size: 476 grams

Calories: 1,013

Fat: 43 grams

Sodium: 1,617 milligrams

Carbohydrates: 106 grams

Protein: 51 grams

Island Foods has been the home of famously tasty roti since 1974.

Devotees of the spicy Caribbean fare swear it’s among the best in the city. Long lineups, which reach legendary status at mealtimes, seem to confirm those claims.

Rysia Adam, who works near Island Foods’ King St. W. location, is a fervent fan, though she tries to limit her visits to a couple times a month. For five years, her go-to order has remained the boneless chicken roti.

“It’s so good that I don’t want to spoil it by eating it too often,” she says.

Adam is also cautious of its calorie content.

“I’m suspecting that the values exceed the daily requirements,” she wrote in her request to The Dish. “But I am curious to know just how unhealthy this is.”

For the uninitiated, a boneless chicken roti served at Island Foods is made with tender pieces of chicken breast and chunks of potato nestled in richly spiced gravy. A wrapping of soft, oh-so-tender dahlpourie hold it all together. According to Island Foods’ website, their dahlpourie is “two thin layers of flour with ground seasoned split peas between them.”

When I call Adam to tell her the lab results for the roti, she expects the worst.

“My prediction is that it’s bad for you,” she says. “I think it’s high in sodium, which I’m trying to watch. I don’t think it’s too bad in terms of fat because of the boneless chicken breast. But I don’t know … I really don’t know.”

After I reveal her much-loved roti has 1,013 calories, Adam is silent for a few seconds. Then: “Get out of here! Oh, wow. That’s unbelievable.”

She seems similarly stunned to know that it has 43 grams of fat and 1,617 milligrams of sodium.

“Oh my god. Well, I guess I won’t be going that often anymore.”

I’m not sure whether Adam really means that, since she follows her vow of self-restraint with a hearty chuckle.

Registered dietitian Zannat Reza says the roti has twice the number of calories you should look for in a meal and all the sodium your body needs in a day. The 43 grams of fat is about two-thirds of the average woman’s daily allotment.

As a comparison, it’s interesting to note that the boneless chicken roti has about 400 more calories, twice as much fat and the same amount of sodium as a walk-in-sized slice of pepperoni pizza from Pizza Pizza.

This particular roti also has more calories and fat than three trays of Michelina’s lasagna with meat sauce. One container of the frozen entrée has 300 calories, 8 grams of fat and 710 milligrams of sodium.

For those who would rather take a glass-half-full approach to the roti’s nutrition results, Island Foods’ boneless chicken is not nearly as calorific as the saag paneer roti from Gandhi Cuisine. The Dish investigated the spinach and paneer filled roti from the Queen St. W. shop in 2010 and found that version contained 1,482 calories, 73 grams of fat and 3,360 milligrams of sodium. It is also monstrously sized, clocking in at 765 grams — almost 300 grams heavier than the one I tested from Island Foods.

In a bid to make her lunch a little healthier, Adam has been substituting the roti’s potatoes with eggplant to avoid extra carbohydrates.

Reza says this is a good plan for those who are watching their carbohydrate intake since one cup of eggplant has 10 grams, while 1 cup of potatoes has 33 grams of carbohydrates.

But the bottom line for Island Foods’ boneless chicken roti is the same as for so many of the foods featured in The Dish: split it by sharing with a friend or saving half for another meal.

Then, enjoy every, single bite.

[urlhttp://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/nutrition/2013/05/16/island_foodss_boneless_chicken_roti_the_dish.html[/url]

‘..

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Even boneless roti go kill we early
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:34:36 AM »
At least we go die satisfied!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:50:34 AM »
At least we go die satisfied!  ;)

Damn straight....
and who eats their roti without something to wash it down with?

A roti once a week is still better than a Big Mac and fries once a week though.

Island Foods ok though....Leela's in Mississauga better
whey boy!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »
Unless you eat roti everyday I doh see the issue. Same goes for KFC Subway etc.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Pur_Trini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »
What kind of blasphemy I reading here boy?  :cursing:
.........and may God bless our Nation.

1]; } ?>