April 19, 2024, 10:11:21 PM

Author Topic: Changing Footballing Philospohy of the EPL  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Changing Footballing Philospohy of the EPL
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »
I realize that there is a changing tide in the EPL, in terms of collective footballing philosophy.  Even the so-called smaller teams are moving to appoint managers that want to play the game the "right" way:  attacking-minded, fluent, total football.  It's no longer Arsenal that want to play the jugo bonito in the EPL.  Liverpool have gone in that direction under Rodgers, who is a huge believer in the tiki-taka philosophy, while Southampton have appointed Pochetino, and there has been a marked improvement in how they play.  Man City will change under Pellegrino, who is a very attacking-minded manager, and heck, even Stoke has decided to ditch it's lagoon brand by sacking Pulis, and lining up Gus Poyet as their next manager.  I'm not saying that this translates into winning, but it shows the movement towards a more eye-catching style of play from many of the EPL teams.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Footballing Philospohy of the EPL
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 12:34:06 PM »
I'm sure it's for a number of reasons....but I would like to think the main one being: "they had no other choice".  Yuh might even see in our lifetime, the majority of English players becoming more of a refined, artful kinda player (that can thrive outside of an open-spaced environment) instead of the typical butt-and-run, ram goat kinda brand.  :beermug:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 12:41:21 PM »
Honestly. I believe these things are cyclical and eventually the pendulum will swing back the other way. In the meantime, enjoy de ride!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:41:51 PM »
Alot of it has to do with evolution of Football.. 4-4-2 is becoming outdated and more clubs have invested heavily in the youth academies and introducing modern football coaching making the players more technical

The new crop of players in the England squad are very technical, Wilshere, Cleverley, Ox are some examples

This isnt a sudden change, its been happening over the last 5 years at least. It will be the best balanced(attack and defense solid) and competitive league for years ..

The top 10 clubs in England are very good to watch while the bottom 10 can beat any above them on their day and they all bring something to the table... Southampton were one of the most entertaining teams this season and they finished in the bottom half

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »
Even though it's the EPL, the reality is that the league is not really a product of English football.  It's one of the top places where foreign players end up.  The difference is that even the smaller teams are recruiting foreign players, as they hunt for "bargain" acquisitions.  Take Swansea finding a quality player like Michu, for example.  Our perception of the EPL is that of the English Division I of the 80s.  That era was then:  few foreigners or foreign coaches, etc.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 01:05:25 PM »
Alot of it has to do with evolution of Football.. 4-4-2 is becoming outdated and more clubs have invested heavily in the youth academies and introducing modern football coaching making the players more technical

The new crop of players in the England squad are very technical, Wilshere, Cleverley, Ox are some examples

This isnt a sudden change, its been happening over the last 5 years at least. It will be the best balanced(attack and defense solid) and competitive league for years ..

The top 10 clubs in England are very good to watch while the bottom 10 can beat any above them on their day and they all bring something to the table... Southampton were one of the most entertaining teams this season and they finished in the bottom half

I think Pochetino could do well next season, if he is backed in the transfer market.  Southampton were much better under him than Adkins.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 09:26:52 AM »
It is a money thing. Long ball not winning so they better football you play the better chance you have to move up the table and get more money etc....

very few teams really 100% on long ball, most teams put the ball down and play stoke is probably the worst in the epl

The better teams all play the passing game.

of course it is not to the level of spain but it is still a passing game.

weather is the biggest factor.

Muddy pitches are bad for build up game from the back.

so improvement in pitches over the years means better football.

Cold weather means men could press harder and higher up the field .

pressure causes man to kick long ball,

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 12:10:14 PM »
Its just me but tooooooooo much/ excessive passing is boring and becomes tedious to watch. Might as well score one goal and let your keeper play keep ball with your defense.

Which neutral would enjoy watching one side keep the ball 10 mins at a time without taking a shot or making a cross and worse yet the other team can't get the ball . When the passing leads to an amazing through ball or a chip or the defense knocks the ball out of defense into attack, then its great. Other than that, best i go and wash wares or something.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »
Longball, if properly used, could be an effective means of counterattacking particularly against a team that's pressing high up the pitch. But you need the right people for the job. And if you doubt you only need to look back at Breitner and Rumenigge (for either Bayern or Hamburg I forget which) back in the 80's. Not that that was the exclusive way the team played but I remember often enough seeing Rumenigge breakaway under a 40yd pass out of the defensive third from Breitner.

DC United used to dominate with it in the earlies of the MLS. They had a speedy forward, Roy(?) something or other who used to get called for offside like 10 (I'm probably exaggerating) times a game but at least a couple of times he would beat the offside and is 1v1 with the keeper. I believe he still holds the MLS single season goals record.

The problem comes when you start overdoing it and losing perspective on the proper use, much as sammy said the passing game can become extremely boring if, for example, all yuh doing is looking to hold the ball in the back and not move upfield.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »

Longball, if properly used, could be an effective means of counterattacking particularly against a team that's pressing high up the pitch. But you need the right people for the job. And if you doubt you only need to look back at Breitner and Rumenigge (for either Bayern or Hamburg I forget which) back in the 80's. Not that that was the exclusive way the team played but I remember often enough seeing Rumenigge breakaway under a 40yd pass out of the defensive third from Breitner.

DC United used to dominate with it in the earlies of the MLS. They had a speedy forward, Roy(?) something or other who used to get called for offside like 10 (I'm probably exaggerating) times a game but at least a couple of times he would beat the offside and is 1v1 with the keeper. I believe he still holds the MLS single season goals record.

The problem comes when you start overdoing it and losing perspective on the proper use, much as sammy said the passing game can become extremely boring if, for example, all yuh doing is looking to hold the ball in the back and not move upfield.

I have nothing against it.. it is a tactic..especially vs a high line defense but some teams play it over and over again.. West Ham and Stoke really.. everyone else have moved on from making it their go to play

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 02:27:48 PM »

Breitner and Ruminegge were at Bayrn. Two great ones. Roy Lassiter played for DC and also played for the US a couple of times. DC united under Arena had a good mixture of short and long ball. I still say that the MLS stifled DC and had a part in their current down fall. All they cared about was the NY/LA axis for the tv audience. They had this salary cap that did not allow DC to keep their best players. They had was to off-load good players to other teams. But as soon as Beckham was available, they open up the salary cap and steered him to LA. And they did the same for Henri NY/NJ. The MLS sucks!!!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:34:25 PM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>