April 25, 2024, 04:39:16 AM

Author Topic: The 30 Most Important Women Under 30 In Tech  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The 30 Most Important Women Under 30 In Tech
« on: April 30, 2013, 05:13:41 AM »
The 30 Most Important Women Under 30 In Tech
By Megan Rose Dickey (Business Insider)

Women are (relatively) few and far between in the tech industry.

They make up less than 10% of venture capitalists, and they leave the industry at twice the rate of men, according to a recent study by the Kauffman Foundation.

There's also a shortage of women pursuing engineering, particularly software engineering.

But the women who do choose to enter the tech industry in one way or another are doing incredibly important work.

Over the last couple of weeks, Business Insider accepted nominations for the most important women 30 years old or under in tech. We combined those nominations with our own research to give our readers a definitive list and ranking.

We were truly blown away by the number of young, successful women in the tech industry. These women hold a variety of roles in the industry: founder, CEO, engineer, venture capitalist — you name it. 

27. Stacy-Marie Ishmael

Product Manager, Percolate

About: Stacy-Marie Ishmael is the former founder and editor at market news service FT Tilt. Since the FT shut down FT Tilt in 2011, Ishamel has gone on to work as a product manager at Percolate where she helps brands create, promote, and manage social media content. Ishamel is also an active blogger over on her site Galavant Media, and works as a part-time visiting lecturer at the Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism.

What people are saying about her: "The reason I'm nominating Stacy is that she is that most unusual person - a woman of color in tech who is brilliant at explaining why it's so important that we design technology for everyone, and not just women, but women who do not live in the middle-class world of most of us who read publications like Business Insider. She spoke at WNYC's recent Women in Tech panel at the Greene Space - she always makes me look at things in a new light. That day she pointed out that we are leaving out a huge number of poor women who could be hugely helped by technology, if only developers would design something for them."

http://www.businessinsider.com/30-important-women-30-or-under-in-tech-2013-4?op=1

** Stacy-Marie Ishmael is ah Trini and was an original member of de Warrior Nation.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:36:58 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The 30 Most Important Women Under 30 In Tech
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:40:36 AM »
WAS a WN member?....she fire de membership?

Either way good for her, THAT is the leading industry of the future
Not to diminish the accomplishments of these women…but damn! Dais what tech nerds does look like these days? :o
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 07:46:30 AM »
The reason I'm nominating Stacy is that she is that most unusual person - a woman of color in tech who is brilliant at explaining why it's so important that we design technology for everyone

Not to take away from her accomplishments, and kudos to her however it's remarkable that people still talk like this in 2013

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:51:39 AM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 08:19:24 AM »
Congratulations, Stacy-Marie!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 09:27:25 AM »
WAS a WN member?....she fire de membership?

She was in de UK at de time and rell help we out. But den she say she was moving tuh de States and would be too busy. Now ah know what she was up to.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »
The reason I'm nominating Stacy is that she is that most unusual person - a woman of color in tech who is brilliant at explaining why it's so important that we design technology for everyone

Not to take away from her accomplishments, and kudos to her however it's remarkable that people still talk like this in 2013

Why yuh stop yuh bold at "explaining"? That manipulates what they mean, ent? Although, granted, it struck me a kinda way too ... but then yuh hadda assess that against REALITY.

Homogenous environments breed homogenous outcomes ???

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 10:20:52 AM »
Let me guess Red trini girl .

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »
Let me guess Red trini girl .

non

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
true ,she came after .

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 10:48:35 AM »

Nothing at all wrong with what they said... that she's a woman of color is significant because there aren't that many in the world of technology.  I know of a couple friends and even they will tell you the same.   The bit about her being "brilliant at explaining" is highlighted out of context to imply that it is a statement on her eloquence, when in fact it speaks more about her ability to communicate complex ideas in simple terms.

--------------------------------

Smart, Trini and attractive... the trifecta  :beermug:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWPOfAriEBo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NWPOfAriEBo</a>

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »
true ,she came after .

ah just remember who she was,, she wasmega blogging, takin pics etc etc when dem folks in london had they WN sweat

ah think RTG use to post around the same time.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »
true ,she came after .

ah just remember who she was,, she wasmega blogging, takin pics etc etc when dem folks in london had they WN sweat

ah think RTG use to post around the same time.
oh yeah with all the very pretty london girls ,how could i forget those pics .

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »

Why yuh stop yuh bold at "explaining"? That manipulates what they mean, ent? Although, granted, it struck me a kinda way too ... but then yuh hadda assess that against REALITY.

Homogenous environments breed homogenous outcomes ???

I still don't get how in 2013 it is of note that she's a person of colour.
I would prefer to make that assessment of my own accord when viewing the article and seeing her picture and be pleasantly surprised.

I stopped the highlighting there because it's irrelevant what she's brilliant at explaining. Didn't stop the quote though.

I get that they are highlighting she's a female minority, but in 2013 who gives a damn especially since that list carried 4 women of Asian descent, 3 of African descent and 2 of S. Asian descent.  She done good though as did all those other women.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:28:53 PM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 02:52:54 PM »
Well anyway, while we on the topic of Trinbago women reaching for the top of their careers

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/woman-magazine/Diva-200679831.html

mus hadda be the first TT person to reach so far south

OTOH...they have Arab women of achievement too....doh mind de police uniform ha dem wrap up like ah punkin roti

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22323870
mmmmmmm V12 :drool:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:03:06 PM by Dutty »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:21 AM »

OTOH...they have Arab women of achievement too....doh mind de police uniform ha dem wrap up like ah punkin roti

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22323870
mmmmmmm V12 :drool:

I Dubai men might get arrested fuh spite jus to take a ride in de Ferrari....first time I see ppl posing to take pics next to ah police car lol

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 04:54:28 AM »
Not redtrinigirl, not retired. Just lurking.

And thanks!
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 11:11:06 PM »

And thanks!

Congrats.  Always look forward to your tweets
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 09:06:29 AM »

And thanks!

Congrats well done
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>