March 28, 2024, 09:14:40 AM

Author Topic: Chinese in T&T Thread  (Read 15065 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The Chinese in T&T Thread.
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 02:10:38 AM »
We’re Trinis too
By MIRANDA LA ROSE (NEWSDAY)
Wednesday, July 15 2015

Young Trinidadians of Chinese descent have engaged in an online campaign on social media to combat xenophobia and racism that has emerged following reports in the media of Chinese men skinning a dog supposedly to cook for food.

Lily Kwok, 22, of Glencoe, who started the campaign, told Newsday yesterday that the video shown on television last Thursday and published in the newspapers along with “uneducated comments” by Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan “has led to an onslaught of xenophobic and racist comments against Trini- Chinese.” A Facebook profile which she started yesterday invites “any and everyone to join me in taking a photo sending a positive/ constructive message on social media to combat ignorance, xenophobia, intolerance and racism.” She posted, “Fight ignorance. Proclaim your humanity. Spread love.

#IAmAPerson.” A photo shows her holding a poster that read, “I will not go back to China” and “I am Trinidadian.” At press time the post had attracted 114 “Like” and had 824 “Share.” Asked why she started the campaign, Kwok said the comments she has heard, including “telling the Chinese to return to China and for Government to control Chinese immigration” in all forms of media and on the street, were hurtful. “After all,” she said, “I am a person who has feelings, who has an identity.” As a Trinidadian, who was born and raised in Trinidad to parents who were also born and raised in Trinidad, she said, “I was angry at first.” However, she said, she believes education is a more powerful tool than ridicule in dealing with hateful and bigoted people.

The day after the airing of the video during a television newscast, Kwok said her family’s restaurant experienced slow business and closed earlier than usual.

Before the entire incident, Kwok said, “I never experienced xenophobia and racism in Trinidad.” The response to the campaign, she said, has been mostly supportive and positive, but some have questioned her “Trinidadianness.” Restaurant owner, Jenny Lin Hulder, 32, who has also joined the campaign told Newsday that Khan’s comments on dog meat being seasoned with MSG and possibly served in restaurants might have created panic in public.

“I am seeing a decline in sales.

Not only me, but other restaurants have been affected ever since the video was aired,” she said.

Among others affected were relatives going about their business in a market who had vegetables thrown at them.

“It has gotten ridiculous. Jokes is one thing but getting thrown at with vegetables is public lynching,” she said. Most of the older Chinese were not saying anything, she said.

“What can they say? They can’t express themselves so well because they don’t have a great command of the English language. It is the only younger ones like us, who were born here, who have a better grasp of what is going on, and who will have to make representation.” Asia Jutla, a young professional of Maraval, said she joined the campaign because she realised it was important to address the xenophobia and racism that persons of her ancestry were experiencing after the publicity given to the skinning of the dog.

“Personally it is upsetting to hear the statements being made out of ignorance by a lot of my countrymen,” she said.

Many people have not realised that the recent fire on Charlotte Street housed a Chinese association that looks after the cultural heritage of Trini-Chinese nationals who were born and bred in TT, she said, yet she heard statements that said it was good “for them because they are cruel to dogs”.

It was hurtful, she said, “to know people are still being stereotyped and identified as sub- sections of society for victimisation and isolation.” Trinidad is supposed to be a “callaloo country”, she said, “but when things like this happens it shows that, maybe, we aren’t that close to being a callaloo country.” Proud of her national heritage, she said, “It is so important to hold onto the things that bring us together as a people rather than the things that drive us apart.” Kwok, Lin Hulder and Jutla all declared that they do not eat dog meat.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: The Chinese in T&T Thread.
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 11:12:51 AM »
Most folks don't realize that the Chinese first came to Trinidad in 1807 before the East Indians to work as Indenture laborers and have been in Trinidad longer than the East Indians.
So if they were born in T&T then they belong to T&T just as much as most other Trinis.
Many of them born in T&T might be of Chinese decent but will be culturally more Trinbagonian than Chinese.

Below is an excerpt from this thread: History of Trinidad & Tobago's Population,Politicial & Cultural Growth from 1498

1807 - The Slave Trade is abolished by the British and Trinidad is left with labour shortage.
First shipment of 200 Chinese labourers brought to Trinidad by the British as part of an experiment to assess their potential as a new form of cheap labour which was later labelled as indentureship.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:16:02 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2015, 08:09:40 AM »

Chinese restaurants hit hard

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2015-07-18/chinese-restaurants-hit-hard

Chinese restaurant owners fear that untold damage has been done to their businesses in the aftermath of a video showing Chinese nationals skinning a dog and Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan’s statements allegedly equating the reduction of the stray dog population to dog meat being served up to diners at Chinese restaurants.

Sales have plummeted by as much as 80 per cent at some Chinese food establishments.

The owners fear if this disturbing trend continues they may be forced to close their businesses because they will be unable to pay the rent and staff wages with dwindling customers.

The situation has become so dire that two emergency meetings to address the matter were held by the members of the China Society, the umbrella organisation for the various Chinese associations and groups, at the Chinese Association headquarters at St Ann’s on Tuesday and a business place in St Clair, on Thursday.

The fallout has been felt in Chinese restaurants nationwide, and not only in the western peninsula where the video originated.

Affected business owners came from as far as San Fernando to relate their experiences.

Johnny Chow, a member of the China Chamber of Commerce, said depending on the districts, several owners reported a drastic decline in sales ranging from 50 per cent to as much as 80 per cent.

He said some restaurant owners had no choice but to dump their perishables or sell their unused chicken, beef and pork at below cost price.

Chow said this could cause a domino effect in the local economy affecting local suppliers to Chinese restaurants.

Vice-president of another Chinese group, the Fui Toong On Association, Joe Chan, said a local supplier’s sales to his Chinese customers dropped by 40 per cent.

Besides their livelihood being placed in jeopardy, another major concern of members of the Chinese community is that the xenophobia, verbal insults, hazing, discrimination, and racial stereotyping that Chinese are subjected to may escalate to physical attacks, dirty tricks and smear campaigns.

The Sunday Guardian was shown video footage of a man exiting a vehicle and cutting the tyre valve stem on a Chinese man’s pickup in Massy Stores car park in San Fernando, earlier this week.

A dog hanging by a rope was posted on social media on Friday near to a Chinese establishment in St Croix Junction, Princes Town.

The Sunday Guardian confirmed from a resident that the act was done by someone in the neighbourhood and not Chinese people.

In the light of the backlash and negative repercussions, the China Society and other organisations of T&T citizens of Chinese descent have called on Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan to retract his statements warning people to beware of what they consumed from Chinese restaurants.

In a statement, the Chinese organisations alleged that “a proverbial witch-hunt” was now on against Chinese in T&T and they were being harassed by other citizens.

They said the result of the re-broadcast of the video and the minister’s comments was that all people of Chinese descent had become the subject of derogatory comments, racial slurs, harassment, intimidation, racial isolation, intolerance and bias.

On the streets, in business places, in person, on the phone and on social media they were constantly being singled out and harassed.

Chinese Association president Clyde Allum said, “As a Trinidadian-Chinese I am repulsed by the video. I accept there are Chinese who eat dog meat but that does not apply to every Chinese.

“What I find very much more distressing is the fact that Dr Khan made those statements and actually attributed the lack of stray dogs to the Chinese community.

“I think it is in very poor taste and we would like him to make an apology to the Chinese community.”

Joseph Tai Chew, president of the Chung Shan Association, said Khan’s remarks were unfortunate.

He said the Chinese community had done a lot for the country in various fields, including the economy, medicine, arts, culture, and generating employment.

Tai Chew said Chinese people were very reserved and didn’t make a lot of noise, but it was very sad when negative statements about the Chinese came from “higher places.”

President of the China Society Yung Gen Siu said a solution must be found soon for the Chinese restaurateurs’ plight.

Andrea CWH-Coutain from the I Am Trinidadian Facebook social media page said her concerns had always been for the Chinese people and Chinese mixed people of Trinidad, and how they were perceived and treated in the public eye.

Candice Lee Kim, who took to social media with the I Will Not Go Back to China sign campaign, said Khan’s statements were irresponsible. Lee Kim said Trinidadians generally took what the media reported to heart without a follow-up or investigation.

Chinese community members are fearful that there will be reprisals from the State in the form of relentless health food checks.

Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan did not return the Sunday Guardian’s calls.
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
I still eating mih Chinese food......doh see what the big fuss is.  Is a setta hypocrites living here.  All kinda nasty wild meat locals does eat (including ah nice, cute fluffy thing like rabbit), but scorning the Chinese....steups!!  hypocrites....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 10:15:32 AM »
I still eating mih Chinese food......doh see what the big fuss is.  Is a setta hypocrites living here.  All kinda nasty wild meat locals does eat (including ah nice, cute fluffy thing like rabbit), but scorning the Chinese....steups!!  hypocrites....

Make sure you decline the msg!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 11:48:28 AM »

well I decided to stop, not because of no dog meat, but because apart from the odd jobs here and there, the immigrant owned establishments contribute very little to the local economy..........apart from doing their part in contributing to the endemic tax evasion in the system,  95% of their inputs are imported from china and the lion share of revenues sent guess where?..........now I  know u might say but we doin' dat too, re: d tax evasion...but d difference is it stays in the system when we do it.... "not justification" just our economic reality
I pity the fool....

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2015, 07:56:01 AM »

well I decided to stop, not because of no dog meat, but because apart from the odd jobs here and there, the immigrant owned establishments contribute very little to the local economy..........apart from doing their part in contributing to the endemic tax evasion in the system,  95% of their inputs are imported from china and the lion share of revenues sent guess where?..........now I  know u might say but we doin' dat too, re: d tax evasion...but d difference is it stays in the system when we do it.... "not justification" just our economic reality

So based on your statement, how much do the Chinese restaurant owners really contribute to the TT economy since their money is supposedly going back to China?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2015, 08:22:46 AM »

So based on your statement, how much do the Chinese restaurant owners really contribute to the TT economy since their money is supposedly going back to China?

dread please........not dis mornin'...........I outlined the goings on very clearly above...............
I pity the fool....

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2015, 09:58:06 AM »

dread please........not dis mornin'...........I outlined the goings on very clearly above...............

I'm asking a serious question because I know non Chinese Trinis that have been evading taxes for donkey years in Trinidad and don't spend their money locally... Maybe groceries and a carnival fete, gas and other things but they bank their money outside..

So I ask again, what is the percentage and eseentially what is the difference between them and the rest?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2015, 10:31:23 AM »

I'm asking a serious question because I know non Chinese Trinis that have been evading taxes for donkey years in Trinidad and don't spend their money locally... Maybe groceries and a carnival fete, gas and other things but they bank their money outside..

So I ask again, what is the percentage and eseentially what is the difference between them and the rest?

percentage.............and I remember clearly using the the phrase "already endemic" and "immigrant establishments" ............and it is a genuine concern......the country looses both money from the economic system and the tax system....at very high rates

There are many who run from electronic transactions like is d plague simply for the fact that that leaves a "footprint" ..................now consider that they are taking advantage of a system that already foregoing billions in tax revenue, because we have oil............jus to lazy to go out and get all income earners under d tax umbrella

It have real business owners who actually believe they doh legally have to pay tax by right or statute and does only realize when dey try to expand or try to get commercial or gov't contracts.

The nature of my work only allows me to speak broad facts and acknowledgements that already more or less public domain, so do what u could with that
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:35:44 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »

Yep I friends who does eat Bugs tired talk to them.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 09:17:50 PM »
this whole fiasco is ridiculous... chinese restaurants shouldn't suffer because one restaurant or a few of them are inhumane... proper health inspection needs to be done..

when my grandfather was chief public health inspector he did his job and served the nation well... i don't know what these current crop doing now, they fraid hard work and are far from diligent...

clean restaurants following the right standards should not suffer like this... worse thing is, Fuad is like family to us, so i really would need to talk to him and ask him what really going on here... 

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2016, 02:45:37 AM »
Chinese businessman murdered
By Marlene Augustine (Newsday).

A CHINESE-BORN La Horquetta businessman became the country’s 25th and latest (up to press time) murder victim when he was gunned down outside his restaurant off South Tumpuna Road, La Horquetta on Saturday night. Police have identified the businessman as Chong Cao also known as Andy, 30, of South Tumpuna Road, La Horquetta.

Cao was the owner of a supermarket and the Zhong Guo Cheng Restaurant and Bar not too far from where he was shot.

According to reports, Cao was walking out of the restaurant when a gunman approached him and fired several shots. It is alleged that three shots hit the victim about the body and his face causing him to collapse at the scene.

Cao was rushed to the Arima Health Facility where he was pronounced dead on arrival. The incident is said to have occurred at about 10 pm. When Newsday visited the home of the murdered businessman, a close friend stated that the wife of Cao was not doing well and other family members were having a prayer session.

A neighbour, who did not want to be named, also told Newsday, Cao was on his way from his other business (supermarket), with his wife and baby. The neighbour explained that when the gunman approached the driver’s door and noticed the wife in the drivers seat, he walked away. “The gunman walked up to the car and noticed that Andy’s wife was driving so he played like if he forgot something and walked away. At that time he (Cao) had already gone inside to drop off some bags he had in his car,” he continued.

“Eventually Andy came back outside toward the car and that is when the gunman ran toward him firing several shots.” The neighbour also explained that the restaurant was still opened with three customers inside, while his wife remained in the driver’s seat.

Inspector Roger Alexander yesterday told Newsday that although the police have not yet arrested the killer, “we do have someone who is assisting us in the investigation with respect to who did the shooting.” Last April, Chinese national, businessman Hi Hong Huang was fatally shot and killed outside his business place, Happiness supermarket, off the Southern Main Road, Curepe.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2016, 04:24:27 AM »
http://6abc.com/food/restaurant-manager-seen-hauling-roadkill-into-eatery/1168144/

(Just as a general comment: This thread is probably better off if we separate the "Dog Meat Horror" from "The Chinese in T&T").

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »
http://6abc.com/food/restaurant-manager-seen-hauling-roadkill-into-eatery/1168144/

(Just as a general comment: This thread is probably better off if we separate the "Dog Meat Horror" from "The Chinese in T&T").

;D
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 04:20:07 PM »
What wrong if allyuh eat a lil scooby doo.......ent we like to say what doh kill does fatten.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 04:21:36 PM »
Kamwah coming out with a new dish........bow wow chow.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2016, 04:26:27 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/R9JD4gj-Gbc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/R9JD4gj-Gbc</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2016, 04:28:15 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lfKGZdXp4iA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lfKGZdXp4iA</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2016, 04:33:56 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TscVwmKC0Fg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TscVwmKC0Fg</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2016, 04:37:59 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UkwOBSczxlQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UkwOBSczxlQ</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2016, 04:40:21 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/s7BlVaLEHWs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/s7BlVaLEHWs</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2016, 04:45:50 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5K4EA61IaYc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5K4EA61IaYc</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2016, 04:49:08 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9InnmIS5ntM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9InnmIS5ntM</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2016, 04:51:25 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DPbObj72PW0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DPbObj72PW0</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2016, 04:57:19 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/704Z7wd7TB0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/704Z7wd7TB0</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2016, 04:59:22 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-SrlQb7pjPU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-SrlQb7pjPU</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2016, 05:07:38 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KXU8gL8uwKk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KXU8gL8uwKk</a>

1]; } ?>