April 18, 2024, 12:24:26 PM

Author Topic: Where have TT dribblers gone?  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Where have TT dribblers gone?
« on: June 11, 2013, 11:15:11 AM »
As far back as I can remember T&T Football always had good dribblers:

Watching the last two games, it is evident that this art seems to be dead in our
football. Or at least in the present selection.

Even watching a few pro league games and Intercol, it is rear to see some classic dribbling.

Where have the Deleon's, Gally's, Mitchell's, Llewlyn's, Neptune's, Clauzel's, Latapy's gone.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Where have TT dribblers gone?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:24:29 AM »
Street ball helped develop dribblers but it seems street ball is not as popular now.

Too much tech gadgets, youths too busy to look for ah sweat.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
Street ball helped develop dribblers but it seems street ball is not as popular now.

Too much tech gadgets, youths too busy to look for ah sweat.

plenty of truth in that
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »
Good thread, i myself have been wondering the same...

I remember from way back since I used to play Eddie Hart youth football, every had some special dribblers.. Cornell Glenn and Kwame Wiltshire were some of the best "tun up men" in the league back then and they were always encouraged to take on players.

Trinidad football on the whole, our ability to "beats" used to be our biggest strength and at the same time our biggest weakness, nevertheless that natural ability is what separated us from our immediate counterparts in the region. Now that we don't even have that, we looking just like (if not worse) than everybody else.

I think there might be a few factors..

Less street ball being played means less natural dribbling ability being developed.

Also, with the increased exposure to modern footballing methods and systems over the years, "beatsing" is frowned on and being coached out of young players from an early age in favor of learning the game correctly. This is not something unique to T&T, I read an article recently where the academies in England were trying to re-introduce street football to allow youths to develop natural talent before getting into formal coaching setups.

And of course, too much other stuff for youths to do than run down a sweat every evening like long time.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »
funny you say that, my father was saying that when we were watching the estonia game. he kept telling me T&T football back in the day was something fun to watch, always had you laughing when a man get beats.

carlos probably the last one we have. i wouldve thought tinto to be a dribbler, lost the ball too much though (where is he btw?)
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »
To me, that was so transparent in the Estonia game. It was painfull.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »
As far back as I can remember T&T Football always had good dribblers:

Watching the last two games, it is evident that this art seems to be dead in our
football. Or at least in the present selection.

Even watching a few pro league games and Intercol, it is rear to see some classic dribbling.

Where have the Deleon's, Gally's, Mitchell's, Llewlyn's, Neptune's, Clauzel's, Latapy's gone.

Dont forget, Archibald, Peter Mitchell, Sammy Lewellyn, Ron La.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 01:05:50 PM »
Last I went back home ,I was scared to walk on the road much less play on it .Dangerous ,fast  ,non caring drivers out there .play at your own peril .

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 01:15:19 PM »
maxg say after the romania game that if ah defender only watch one of we trini attacker, he looking to give way the ball
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »
you dont shoot 3 pointers if you having trouble with free throws.

you want to see dribbling when men having a hard time connecting 2 pass together.

players need to focus and do the simple things.

ability to dribble is highly dependant on opposition

when you playing against fast and good one v one defenders you will not see much successful dribbling.

messi is one of the best dribblers around look at how much one touch pass he does make in a game............

men collecting 4 and you want to see more dribbling
what you want them to collect 8 in the next game.

keep it simple , make the obvious pass

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 01:26:50 PM »
I don't think it's T&T alone...Football all over the world have changed.  It's just that we are so low on the technical scale people notice.  But in this day and age it's not a dribblers game.  Except if you come round me on a Wednesday night and it's the first thing I do in the game.   ;D
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »
I don't think it's T&T alone...Football all over the world have changed.  It's just that we are so low on the technical scale people notice.  But in this day and age it's not a dribblers game.  Except if you come round me on a Wednesday night and it's the first thing I do in the game.   ;D

Not dead in Rio or Sao Paulo or Pernambuco.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 03:36:14 PM »

Not sure I agree with that. Most good teams have a couple of players that will do some damage with dribbling. Just looking at the Euro U21, quite a few on view. Right now Argentina vs Ecuador, Montero, Valencia, DeMaria, etc all doing some serious damage. Colombia is a good example, they have two or three.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 05:28:09 PM »
Completely agree with what you stated here... Not only has football changed, but our style or system if there is such a thing, cannot afford to have dribblers.
Case in point we qualified for our first WC, and Latas who is arguably one of our best dribblers ever saw little playing time. Leo realized our shortcomings and implemented a more disciplined approach....

As KND stated earlier, we should focus on trying to string 2-3 positive passes together before we even talk bout dribbling....
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »

Not sure I agree with that. Most good teams have a couple of players that will do some damage with dribbling. Just looking at the Euro U21, quite a few on view. Right now Argentina vs Ecuador, Montero, Valencia, DeMaria, etc all doing some serious damage. Colombia is a good example, they have two or three.

Dais it right there in a nutshell...We eh good!!
I do hope with all the current admin changes things will turn around..
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 07:23:21 PM »
I won't promote dribbling unnecessarily eh....but when yuh men marked good an proper, 3 men surround yuh arse..ok,ok against we National team, a hobbit with a different colour jersey than us...standing 10 feet away... calling Gandalf...oh gorm, run an buss a beats in he tail or run past the man nah..Create a lil room for yuhself, free up one of yuh players....no, is like he point a finger at we, we see Yoda.....and we leg just kick the ball to dem opposing players..
Frig, the coach have to tell grown Professional Men what to do ? Sure the coach might say strictly 2 Touch...but only in practice, yuh 3 rd touch mean yuh have to hand the other team the ball..Geez

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 08:51:06 PM »
All these young T&T footballers good at dribbling for is them women in Tribe on carnival day!  :drool:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 11:22:35 PM »
Ah a lost art or a reflection on the game today? When you had a good dribbler it kept an edge to our game. Today sadly our teams are lacking an element of an attacking forward that could take on defenders or one who could change the complexity of the game.

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 03:48:41 AM »
as ah previous poster above stated...it's not jes trini football but football on de whole lackin true dribblers who know how tuh rest ah proper beats on ah man...ppl mistaking players like robben and even messi who could drop dey shoulders and have good close control, centre of gravity n cud run fast with the ball at dey feet for ah "beatser"(as we know it)

tuh me since early 2000's its been a slow death with de likes of ah jay jay okocha(sp) etc becoming a thing of the pass...ah always tell ppl i would prefer tuh watch ah ronaldinho over ah messi any day because dinho is just pure entertainment and a delight whereas messi is clinical.

Anyway as fuh trini mih boi hughton hector is ah dred one, de kinda beats he used tuh rest on man(not me though) growin up eh does make mih wish he start play greedy wen he geh de ball fuh trini and really show men death  ;D another one is andre toussaint, dah frigger nice with it
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »
What is the main weapon the two best players Messi & CR in the world possesses ?? Dribble, deek, beat, inch however you call it. We need to keep this art in the game or else it will be boring game!

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
funny you say that, my father was saying that when we were watching the estonia game. he kept telling me T&T football back in the day was something fun to watch, always had you laughing when a man get beats.

carlos probably the last one we have. i wouldve thought tinto to be a dribbler, lost the ball too much though (where is he btw?)

things really bad if man mentioning carlos as a dribbler.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
I think this is what missing in our Football today,our dribbilers were our entertainers,every team had two or three very good dribblers so there were always clashes,the crowd always had something to talk about long after a game is over.

Why we had so many dribblers is because it was a way for the small man to survive in the game,that combine with being smart helped you.

The passing game which modern day Football requires means you have to think (read the game),besides our game being slow physically mentally we are slow also and that's a major problem right there.I'm only baseing this on reports i read on here.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
All the dribblers gone Street Ball World Cup and Indoor World Cup.  So you ain't seeing them.  Messi just fast and short.  Is blade for he in WC. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »
All the dribblers gone Street Ball World Cup and Indoor World Cup.  So you ain't seeing them.  Messi just fast and short.  Is blade for he in WC. 
Agree wid yuh dey..
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

1]; } ?>