March 28, 2024, 07:54:37 PM

Author Topic: Corneal: Tough to find opponents for Soca Warriors  (Read 6828 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Corneal: Tough to find opponents for Soca Warriors
« on: June 12, 2013, 02:02:44 AM »
Corneal: Tough to find opponents for Soca Warriors.
By Kern De Freitas (Express).

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) will be looking to line up at least a couple more practice fixtures for the senior national football team before they head into the CONCACAF Gold Cup next month.

Last week the Soca Warriors played two friendly internationals against European opposition, losing 4-0 away to Romania last Tuesday at Bucharest, before falling 1-0 to Estonia in Tallin, Estonia on Friday.

T&T, who were limited by a number of injury concerns and absences in Europe, showed some improvement against Estonia after being whipped in their first match.

Technical director Anton Corneal told the Express yesterday that he had seen little of T&T’s Europe encounters, but is hoping to line up at least two more matches to give the team a little more time to play under match conditions before they head to the US for the July 7-28 tournament.

T&T, who are pooled in Group B with Honduras, El Salvador and Haiti, kick off their campaign against the Salvadorans on July 8 at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey.

According to Corneal, the team can look forward to government support ahead of the tournament, but he conceded there has been some difficulty in securing opponents.

“We need to see our players at the highest level,” Corneal said. “We are not the choice team to play against right now. We don’t have a lot of options to play the best teams. (But) if we can play one or two games before the Gold Cup, it will make us better.”

Corneal also explained that last week’s matches were used by the coaches to see how players work together in different positions, how they play together and which players complement each other. Up to yesterday he had not spoken to the technical team, though, to get feedback on their latest two assignments, which left T&T winless in their last six matches.

Said Corneal: “I think (the match) would have given the coaches the opportunity to see the players, and which players are ready right now to move forward to the Gold Cup. I know we have some injuries, which would affect (them) having the strongest team. A key injury (is that of) Carlos Edwards, who will help us in the Gold Cup. It really gives the coaches an idea of which players will be ready.

“We’ve got a local camp that the players will take part in. They will start on Thursday, where they will get to see the players in the build-up to the Gold Cup.”

Of the results against Romania and Estonia, Corneal said they should not be looked at at face value.

“Nobody wants to ever lose, but we have to put things in perspective,” he explained. “Romania would be at a bit of a better standard than we are. Estonia, the result was not a bad result, but it’s difficult to judge the result. It should be judged on how the players performed and where we are (in preparation for the tournament).”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Corneal: Tough to find opponents for Soca Warriors
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:48:40 AM »
So how Haiti could get Italy and Spain !!!

What them doing ?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 06:54:56 AM »
So how Haiti could get Italy and Spain !!!

What them doing ?

That was like a charity event sam, i really don't believe that italy and spain really wanted to play haiti, although right now i believe they may have found a new respect for concacaf teams, and in particular haiti.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:56:53 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:45:35 AM »

According to Corneal, the team can look forward to government support ahead of the tournament, but he conceded there has been some difficulty in securing opponents.

“We need to see our players at the highest level,” Corneal said. “We are not the choice team to play against right now. We don’t have a lot of options to play the best teams. (But) if we can play one or two games before the Gold Cup, it will make us better.”

The legacy of Jack Warner, ladies and gentlemen.

This is where our great leader has left us. CFU head, Concacaf head and FIFA VP. Years of networking and rubbing shoulders with the best confederations and FA's and we have NOTHING to show for it. Not even a decent reputation.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:48:26 AM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
"Technical director Anton Corneal told the Express yesterday that he had seen little of T&T’s Europe encounters, but is hoping to line up at least two more matches to give the team a little more time to play under match conditions before they head to the US for the July 7-28 tournament."

This is a misprint right ? my bad...maybe he was technically directing...maybe the interview was while the internet was down  :devil:

ah mean, if you don't look to see where we at, how you go know where you need to go..or it doh matter ? Hurry up an look at the games please Anton.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:14:22 AM by maxg »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
"Technical director Anton Corneal told the Express yesterday that he had seen little of T&T’s Europe encounters, but is hoping to line up at least two more matches to give the team a little more time to play under match conditions before they head to the US for the July 7-28 tournament."

This is a misprint right ? my bad...maybe he was technically directing...maybe the interview was while the internet was down  :devil:

ah mean, if you don't look to see where we at, how you go know where you need to go..or it doh matter ? Hurry up an look at the games please Anton.

On the other hand, he's been criticised for travelling with the teams ... fairly sure, he'll have a look.

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 11:26:12 AM »
Is not they hard to find, is a matter of planning. If is now you come looking for opposition of course people book up.

You know you qualify for GC, you know the GC dates a year ago, you know the opposition months ago. That was the time to book games & dates.
Is last minute thing a love. Always the same dam disorganization. Who was the Manager in charge, when we qualify, after the draw all that?

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 12:09:40 PM »
Anton! Just play anyone man! get ah couple of wins under your belt, will boost team confidence!

It's nice to play good teams and win but TT just need to beat somebody real bad at this time! Yesterday Sweden struggle to beat Faroe Islands rank 162.

Play ball and focus on your job as TD, try and give the coaches some advise on team defending (too spread-out) cause we really suck in that department! I must say I saw some improvement on possession, switching the play and less direct long ball good signs! Also there seems to be a lack of coaching on support for our lone striker from our wide players and attacking center mid as these players are none existent in helping out the striker. One reason why we can't score.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 12:23:01 PM »
Anton! Just play anyone man! get ah couple of wins under your belt, will boost team confidence!

It's nice to play good teams and win but TT just need to beat somebody real bad at this time! Yesterday Sweden struggle to beat Faroe Islands rank 162.

Play ball and focus on your job as TD, try and give the coaches some advise on team defending (too spread-out) cause we really suck in that department! I must say I saw some improvement on possession, switching the play and less direct long ball good signs! Also there seems to be a lack of coaching on support for our lone striker from our wide players and attacking center mid as these players are none existent in helping out the striker. One reason why we can't score.

anton is d last man to give defensive advice.......is how much 7-0 and such he collect in he career again?
I pity the fool....

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »
"
On the other hand, he's been criticised for travelling with the teams ... fairly sure, he'll have a look.
"
True that..but he wouldn't have had to fly further than to this site to get a link up..some fellas here even doing analysis for free..oh wait..to much thunder and interference

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
why not venez or canada? corneal and them have no organization nor imagination...

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »
Not surprised ! No value to anyone to play  our team! Supports the point that we have a lot of image building to do!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 08:16:49 PM »
You all can beat around the bush on this topic but we can't get away from the fact that we used to get opponents to play because of the position and weight JW had in World Football,he used to wheel and deal to get opponents to come to T&T.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »
And look where that got us. Nowhere. After 2006 I dont think we got any significant teams to play. Only at set of Caribbean country. We get more friendlies vs better opposition since he left fact. We now seeing how much shit we is.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:35:04 PM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 08:42:06 PM »
You all can beat around the bush on this topic but we can't get away from the fact that we used to get opponents to play because of the position and weight JW had in World Football,he used to wheel and deal to get opponents to come to T&T.

Like who? Other than England and South Africa, which other big sides he bring down? Actually we got better games when we went abroad.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 08:47:37 PM »
And look where that got us. Nowhere
   U looking at where it got us but i would say fans in T&T was able to see a lot of good teams/players perform in our country,weather it got us somewhere or not is a matter of ones opinion. 

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 08:49:33 PM »

Like who? Other than England and South Africa, which other big sides he bring down? Actually we got better games when we went abroad.
    Breds wheather it's home or abroad he got the games.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
coops let jack warner stay as  far as away possible from our nations football/soccer .....we don't want his wheeling and dealing no more , coops   breds   this is not about  beating around the bush thing , let jack warner stay where he is ... enough already about being influential in getting viable opponents when he was with fifa and all the jazz..... its a new page  lets move on from jack warner.... 

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »
Aye, Tiny Tim, you clueless f@#k, let me give you an idea. Fire this numbskull and hire Fenwick as your technical director and let us move on with the program and while you are at it, get rid of Watson and the tag team you have coaching the national team. Charles may have needed some help but not "the chin".
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 10:16:34 PM »
coops let jack warner stay as  far as away possible from our nations football/soccer .....we don't want his wheeling and dealing no more , coops   breds   this is not about  beating around the bush thing , let jack warner stay where he is ... enough already about being influential in getting viable opponents when he was with fifa and all the jazz..... its a new page  lets move on from jack warner.... 
:beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 03:20:41 AM »
Aye, Tiny Tim, you clueless f@#k, let me give you an idea. Fire this numbskull and hire Fenwick as your technical director and let us move on with the program and while you are at it, get rid of Watson and the tag team you have coaching the national team. Charles may have needed some help but not "the chin".

Wonder how Central would feel about this?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 03:33:02 AM »
Not surprised ! No value to anyone to play  our team! Supports the point that we have a lot of image building to do!

Absolutely!

Too many observers ignore this, and focus on rebuilding on the field, without considering that re-branding of the federation, of the product, of professionalism, of personnel, of the way "things are done" are key components of the way forward.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 04:34:23 AM »
      i think we have already started that process,Tim Kee is in the drivers seat lets give him a chance he will get the job done,new page enjoy the games.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 05:13:03 AM »

True, the stronger JW became in international football the less impact entrepreuners were given in the  game and JW would shamelessly criticize them. But who in their right mind wanted to get in bed with Warner. Look at the TTFF or pardon me TTFA and the mess they are presently in.

When Arthur Suite was allowed to promote football, in 24 months, I saw Flemeco (World Club Champs) Paulista Corinthinans, Sweden, Arsenal FC, Gothenburgh (Swedish club champs), India, Tottenham Hotspurs and a few others IN 24 MONTHS!!!!

Now compare that to any five year period over the last two decades.
If JW family wasn't involved - FOKK TT!!!

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 05:38:50 AM »

True, the stronger JW became in international football the less impact entrepreuners were given in the  game and JW would shamelessly criticize them. But who in their right mind wanted to get in bed with Warner. Look at the TTFF or pardon me TTFA and the mess they are presently in.

When Arthur Suite was allowed to promote football, in 24 months, I saw Flemeco (World Club Champs) Paulista Corinthinans, Sweden, Arsenal FC, Gothenburgh (Swedish club champs), India, Tottenham Hotspurs and a few others IN 24 MONTHS!!!!

VB
       You said "when Arthur Suite was allowed to promote Football" i'm now wondering who allowed him too?i don't think it was JW.Who did these teams play against was it ASL,T&T etc etc?who made money from those games?did our Football benefit from it?

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 05:46:37 AM »

:timeout:

Coop don't make me laugh!!

the last time jack organized a good game for T&T was when england was touting his votes in 2008, after that we didn't have a decent friendly until we went to chile just before the hex where we set up a camp there for two weeks under maturana, we played boca juniors C team and the 2nd string chilian local based team.

after that we played teams like guyana, haiti, el salvador, jamaica in the office, st kitts, antigua, guyana ah couple more times, jamaica @ the marvin lee, dominican rep, and belize.

after jack was ousted we played india, and then finland and canada, then timkee took over and we played about five friendlies in succession, each on a FIFA calender date,

peru twice, belize and the two eropean teams romania and estonia , which in fact was our best friendlies in the space of five yrs, the last being the mamaguye game with england.

coop ah losing plenty respect for you meh bredder!!

it baffles me that you could say these things with ah straight face and a clean heart, bc jack warner IMO was the worst thing that ever happened to T&T football, and that is clear as ah bright summer sky, and if i was a gambling man i would put good money on the fact that jack warner never cared about football period, especially in T&T! but used football as a means to an end.

come on coop   :shameonyou:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Corneal: Tough to find opponents for Soca Warriors
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 06:29:27 AM »

:timeout:

Coop don't make me laugh!!

the last time jack organized a good game for T&T was when england was touting his votes in 2008, after that we didn't have a decent friendly until we went to chile just before the hex where we set up a camp there for two weeks under maturana, we played boca juniors C team and the 2nd string chilian local based team.

after that we played teams like guyana, haiti, el salvador, jamaica in the office, st kitts, antigua, guyana ah couple more times, jamaica @ the marvin lee, dominican rep, and belize.

after jack was ousted we played india, and then finland and canada, then timkee took over and we played about five friendlies in succession, each on a FIFA calender date,

peru twice, belize and the two eropean teams romania and estonia , which in fact was our best friendlies in the space of five yrs, the last being the mamaguye game with england.

coop ah losing plenty respect for you meh bredder!!

it baffles me that you could say these things with ah straight face and a clean heart, bc jack warner IMO was the worst thing that ever happened to T&T football, and that is clear as ah bright summer sky, and if i was a gambling man i would put good money on the fact that jack warner never cared about football period, especially in T&T! but used football as a means to an end.

come on coop   :shameonyou:

Thank you I feel coops going mad. JW is gone time to move on.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 06:31:30 AM »

VB
       You said "when Arthur Suite was allowed to promote Football" i'm now wondering who allowed him too?i don't think it was JW.Who did these teams play against was it ASL,T&T etc etc?who made money from those games?did our Football benefit from it?

Totteham, Sweden and India played against TT.

I don't need to tell you where money went, you should aready know that. What I can tell yo is that the Warner family didn't overbenefit.
I can tell you that at a grassroots level there was a stimulated interest in football.
More importantly the ASL players became our heroes.
Men weren't talking Mariner, Woodcock or Souness, they were now talking about Ron La, Spann, Granville, Brian Williams and Lobo.
Fifteen thousand at a game was a considered a poor turnout.

You need the difference between then and now further explained to you?

You eh serious.

VB

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 07:07:42 AM »

VB

Totteham, Sweden and India played against TT.

I don't need to tell you where money went, you should aready know that. What I can tell yo is that the Warner family didn't overbenefit.
I can tell you that at a grassroots level there was a stimulated interest in football.
More importantly the ASL players became our heroes.
Men weren't talking Mariner, Woodcock or Souness, they were now talking about Ron La, Spann, Granville, Brian Williams and Lobo.
Fifteen thousand at a game was a considered a poor turnout.

You need the difference between then and now further explained to you?

You eh serious.

VB
   Breds, listen i'm just trying to create conversation with u,there is nothing in the Then u talking about that i don't know,i used to coach ECM in the Arthur Suite league we were ASL main rivals,may be what u don't realize is that i can go further back than the Then u talking about,that was my time and it have games that were played that i don't see mentioned here.
   I does come on here and try to create conversation with u guys just to hear your ideas and views and men like they does want to fight,u don't have to dislike or hate someone for something they say or do,we have to learn to simply ignore what ever is being said,i ask or say the things i know will get a reaction,once u mention JW the forum lights up so i do have a field day.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 07:19:23 AM »
Enjoy your field day Coops.  :)

1]; } ?>