April 19, 2024, 12:17:29 PM

Author Topic: Abu Bakr turns heads in Kazakhstan.  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Abu Bakr turns heads in Kazakhstan.
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:01:31 AM »
Abu Bakr turns heads in Kazakhstan.
By Shaun Fuentes

National defender Radanfah Abu Bakr might walk into a local supermarket in Port-of-Spain and despite his imposing figure, standing at six feet, four inches, he may hardly have heads turning. But thousands of miles away in Ust-Kamenogrosk, Kazakhstan, it’s a totally different picture for the former Caledonia AIA player.

Walking through the streets of Tallinn last weekend while on duty with the national team, Abu Bakr and some of his team-mates were an obvious attraction to the locals. Several wanted to meet him and quite a few also wanted photos. Abu Bakr says he experiences that every time he steps out in Ust-Kamenogrosk where he plays for FC Vostok.

Ust-Kamenogorsk, with a population of just over 300,000 is the administrative centre of the East Kazakhstan Province of Kazakhstan.

“The locals are friendly and seem to be intrigued more than any thing else by foreigners like myself and my teammates from Guyana, Gambia and Senegal,” Abu Bakr said.

“The boldface stares from the locals are sometimes uncomfortable but there’s nothing malicious behind them, and we’ve become accustomed to it. We all set aside time for photos when we’re out in public. As long as one person breaks the ice, the requests just keep coming and they swarm us, like if we in the supermarket or local store, for instance.”

Abu Bakr’s game has progressed since he last played for T&T back in 2009. He knows there is stiff competition for the centreback position in the T&T side with Seon Power, Carlyle Mitchell and Daneil Cyrus also being contenders.

“I’ve matured as a player and person since my last T&T appearance in 2009. Among other things, my temperament versus opponents and in atmospheres like the ones we faced in these two games in Bucharest and Tallinn has gotten better.”

Commenting on the football in Kazakhstan, the former Queen’s Royal College student said: “The league is pretty decent. A few teams are fairly robust and direct, but everyone tries to play attractive football. We’re a modest team and have been punching above our weight all season. We’re good at home and currently mid-table, climbing after a rough start.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Abu Bakr turns heads in Kazakhstan.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 04:14:34 AM »
Walter Moore playing they to.

They 9th and Primus team in first place.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »
Represent
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »
Sometime in the past someone started an Abu Bakr tread inquiring about his game and what we forumites thought about it. I made a pretty offhanded comment about this young man's game( ah call de man ah shithound)  having only seen him play a handful of times. I would like to issue a formal apology to this young man. I must say that after watching his highlight reel I have to admit that his game has improved dramatically. He positions himself well. He distributes the ball well from the back and most importantly(for me at least) he plays with heart.
I get the impression that he really wants to be the best he can be at that position and he makes a great replacement for Tallest.
All the best to you homeboy. Keep improving. :beermug:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »
Sometime in the past someone started an Abu Bakr tread inquiring about his game and what we forumites thought about it. I made a pretty offhanded comment about this young man's game( ah call de man ah shithound)  having only seen him play a handful of times. I would like to issue a formal apology to this young man. I must say that after watching his highlight reel I have to admit that his game has improved dramatically. He positions himself well. He distributes the ball well from the back and most importantly(for me at least) he plays with heart.
I get the impression that he really wants to be the best he can be at that position and he makes a great replacement for Tallest.
All the best to you homeboy. Keep improving. :beermug:

I'm still uncertain about him against fast, agile players, but I agree that he has improved significantly.

Online Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 02:43:40 PM »
In some ways he reminds me of Leon Carpette.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 10:38:52 AM »
Must admit when I read the byline I thought  the comment would have been on some feat Abu bakr accomplished on the football field ...to my surprise he turns heads because he is tall ?? Then we go from there to how much he has improved from the stage he was at years ago ? ..I am still trying to figure out why that byline ...maybe some comment on his performances in Kazakstan might go a long way in justifying the title but maybe that will come in another post.

From what I saw of Abu Bakr vs New Zealand I would describe him as a hard worker..not technically sound, but he tries hard. he is not a great passer of the ball and often leaves himself in uncomfortable positions because his balance is not that great ( maybe because of his height) . If one was to look at him in quick feet situations or where he plays the ball and it comes back to him, this would be very obvious.

I am not one of the ...bacause he is trinidadian I go look the  other way on ways he needs to improve ..trinis,  because our football has been plagued with too many superlatives for ordinary players such that we cant rate players internationally anymore.

We rate players in some really obscure leagues then  get disappointed when we see them in action for the national team . How many times have we recycled the same players in the last 10 years...I see even Stern john looking for a swan song !

I am however in support of the efforts of Mr Hart ...few can disagree that this man knows his onions. However I cant see even he  persisting too much longer with many of the players on this squad if we are to seriously challenge for a place in the WC 2018 ...yes folks just add 5 years wear and tear to some of these late 20's and 30's players and that is what we would have if changes are not soon forthcoming .
Abu Bakr- Good trier ...probably can keep his place  for now ..... and yes he will turn heads ..but because he is tall.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
Well the sheer lack of reliance on pace or agility will mean that he'll still be good in 2018 hah. Seriously though with 5 more years on his head he might be quite formidable, especially in the air, as long as he's getting some proper training.

Online Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »
yes folks just add 5 years wear and tear to some of these late 20's and 30's players and that is what we would have if changes are not soon forthcoming .

Jai, good points. But Abu has improved a lot. Selection for the next qualifying should be open. The TTFF should be working with the current U-20 and U-17 for the next batch of players after Brazil WC is finished.

1]; } ?>