March 29, 2024, 07:12:35 AM

Author Topic: ‘Money talks’ mentality hurting local football  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Money talks’ mentality hurting local football
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:25:29 AM »
‘Money talks’ mentality hurting local football
By Fazeer Mohammed (T&T Express)

Why stop at Leo?

If football has now taken a backseat to marketable images and therefore the ability to generate significant sums of money from excited sponsors, why not milk the upcoming Concacaf Gold Cup experience for all it’s worth by recalling other key and beloved personalities associated with the historic first — and so far only — appearance at a senior World Cup football finals?

What about Russell Latapy? Maybe this might be the opportunity for “The Little Magician” to prove Beenhakker wrong for just giving him a final few minutes at the end of the last group fixture against Paraguay in Germany seven years ago. Then there’s Dwight Yorke, the captain of that memorable campaign, “The Smiling Assassin”, who looks as fit as ever based on his appearances over the last couple of weeks at fund-raising golf tournaments alongside Latapy and the other member of that celebrated national sporting triumvirate — Brian Lara.

Come to think of it, it might be a good idea to draft “The Prince of Port of Spain” into the Gold Cup travelling party as our version of David Beckham, a sort of team ambassador. Never mind that most of those watching won’t have a clue who he is, it’s bound to get enthused members of corporate Trinidad and Tobago lining up outside the doors of the Football Federation….sorry, Association to hand in their cheques and get on board for the high-profile experience.

Okay, so the whole thing might be over after three games in the space of eight days in the United States next month, but surely the coffers of the TTFA will benefit. And that’s why the relatively new boss of the organisation, Raymond Tim Kee, appears to be so keen on pushing through the short-term return of the Dutchman, who took over from Bertille St Clair when we were at the bottom of the qualifying table in 2005, and achieved what is considered a minor miracle, culminating in the never-to-be-forgotten victory in Bahrain at the end of that year to clinch World Cup qualification.

Read More...
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Money talks’ mentality hurting local football
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:01 AM »
I know plenty may disagree but I find Fazeer miss the mark here.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
Come nah man Fazeer  ???  What is all this sh*t about Colonialism? 50 yrs we running our own affairs and what do we have to show for it, outside of Corruption to the core. 50 years and we still blaming a mentality about something the majority of the population never experience. Check the Auditor General & come back. That is the dam mentality

BP, Texcao, Amoco who ever still run things.

We have become one of the most dangerous countries on the Planet (not at war). Murders per population is record setting. The leading sales of any material is wrought iron. Those who say I lie, take down your burglar proofing nah.

Our Education system is a complete mess & in the dark ages. Where have all our scholars gone? Who are the new literary scholars, in the footsteps of  CLR James, Naipaul etc. Engineers, scientist ???

Medically? Well don't start! Just don't get sick. Where are our facilities, trained physicians and nurses? Even those responsible for governing the country travel to Cuba for treatment.

For all the bragging of billions, the country infrastructure looks run down like hell. What we have to show for it? Hyatt?

"eat a food" man even our musicians living in foreign & only coming home carnival time to yes"eat ah food"

the truth is we investing in ignorance and our sports men and women are making it by their own efforts & fluke. Direct your article to the Sports Minister, where are the school programs, youth centers,accessible maintained  facilities, equipment, coaching education.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 01:55:02 PM »
Rel rubbish talk..

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 03:25:34 PM »
There a way too many crabs in the barrel,each boasting his credentials are superior,while at the end of each day having nothing tangible to show for the time and money invested... :devil:

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »
The irony here is that its quite evident in all aspects of our daily lives
I am calling it as it is....  :devil:

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 12:57:08 AM »
On the other side of de spectrum, specifically where Tim Kee  saying- Yo, If allyuh want big Things i.e Big players, big countries to play against and big things like dat; then we have to make big moves. Beenie-man is such a move and thereby warranted. However, I don't see Haiti had to do dat. and I quote..

Antonio Israel Blake Cantero is a Cuban football manager and former player for the Cuban national team. He is currently the manager of the Haiti national football team.

Well, I guess we always have to do it big and bright. Big TnT boy; right?
Warren N. Boucaud

1]; } ?>