Should coach Hart quit T&T?

No
8 (36.4%)
Yes
3 (13.6%)
Stay Under Circumstance
11 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Stephen Hart Thread  (Read 131060 times)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Hart Thread
« Reply #810 on: December 03, 2020, 05:05:32 PM »
So two of Hart's best players (Rampersad and Garcia) never played for Hart team when he was T&T coach?

And they were already pro players at the time.

Almost 4 years ago !. Nah, I sure you can figure that one all by yourself. Yet, here's a clue doh. Who was getting the accolades then, that they getting now ?  Maybe if he did throw dem fellas out and put Ramps and Akeem in, they would have improved then ? Then what would ppl have asked ? hmmmm...as proficient as they are in the CPL last season, they still may not be selected in the next campaign. Imagine that.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 04, 2020, 07:58:17 AM »
So two of Hart's best players (Rampersad and Garcia) never played for Hart team when he was T&T coach?

And they were already pro players at the time.

Actually, Garcia made his debut for the national senior team at the age of 18 under Stephen Hart. He came on as a sub in a friendly against Panama. So obviously Hart saw something in him then, but maybe he wasn't ready. And back then, whose place would he have taken?

Rampersad was never a pro player until signed by Halifax. Prior to that, he played all his football with FC Santa Rosa. He was mainly signed on the recommendation of Derek King who coached Santa Rosa and was Hart's assistant coach on the national team and became his assistant again at Halifax.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 11, 2020, 10:12:31 AM »
Halifax Wanderers coach and CPL Coach of the Year, Stephen Hart, talks about bringing a new team together, what's expected of the modern pro, dealing with media criticism and who has final say in signings.

https://www.downthepub.ca/e/episode-88-cpl-coty-stephen-hart/

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: February 10, 2021, 04:31:37 PM »
Another good listen. Enjoyed that.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 11, 2021, 02:16:00 PM »
P.S. This is more of a Barney question than a Burdie question area ... When SH mentioned the primary school coach and the "manmarking" ... A question that came to mind for fleshing out is: What would he have preferred to have seen happen? What would he have suggested to the coach in that competitive context and age group? It is a situation that is replicated time and time again in our cultural context.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:19:00 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 13, 2021, 04:02:23 PM »
Another good listen. Enjoyed that.
Yes that was a fantastic interview. It was good to hear some his insights during his tenure as the NT coach, never heard him open up like that before. I enjoyed the part about the game in Argentina and Messi in particular, just watched him score 2 incredible goals today. I will say it again, ppl may not have liked some of our results in the Hex but under Hart was best the NT looked since Leo.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 03, 2021, 08:16:04 PM »
HFX Wanderers FC extend contract with Head Coach and General Manager Stephen Hart
By Marty Thompson (canpl.ca)

The Heart of Halifax Wanderers is staying put.

Halifax Wanderers are pleased to announce that coach Stephen Hart has agreed to a three-year contract extension.

“Stephen was the right person to lead our club on the pitch three years ago and he remains the right person to lead our club into the future,” stated club President and Founder Derek Martin. “Building a club from scratch is an arduous and exciting journey that requires a talented team committed to working together in the pursuit of something bigger than oneself.  Our greatest asset as a club is our people and as the face of our club, Stephen personifies our ethos ideally.”

Hart, 60, is entering his third Canadian Premier League season with the Wanderers since becoming the club’s inaugural coach in 2018. He was named the CPL Coach of the Year in 2020, after helping a reshaped HFX squad that struggled in 2019, make the CPL Finals at last summer’s Island Games in PEI.

“This club is a project I believe in,” Hart said about his re-signing. “Any successful sporting environment has a few things; solid backroom staff, really good administration, and ownership that have a vision. Derek has built a foundation here at the club that allows us to take our time, we all know there are going to be a lot of bumps in the road, but anything worth doing is going to have that.”

A native of Trinidad and Tobago, Hart first arrived in Halifax in 1981, going on to have a successful run with club team King of Donair as a player and coach, as well as serving as Technical Director of Soccer Nova Scotia.

He later joined the Canadian national team as a coach at under-17, under-20, and under-23 levels before taking charge of the senior side on a full-time basis in 2009. He registered more than 20 international wins with Les Rouges and guided Canada to the semifinals of the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup when he was serving as the team’s interim coach. Hart also led Trinidad and Tobago’s men’s team as manager between 2013 to 2016.

Looking back at his time in the CPL in a special interview with the Wanderers, Hart singled out two particularly special moments thus far: the club’s inaugural game at Wanderers Grounds on May 4, 2019, and a 1-1 draw with York9 FC (now York United) at The Island Games.

“I remember the opening game in the stadium, hearing the national anthem, seeing the sell-out crowd,” Hart said of the club’s historic 2-1 win over Forge FC . “As soon as that first game was over and all the smoke went off in the stadium… it smelled like football, it had that atmosphere that was like, ‘whoa, this is even beyond what I thought could actually happen.’

“Against York was the first time I got the deep emotional feeling that the players believed in what we were trying to achieve as a club. We were playing with 10 men for a huge part of the game. The way they buckled down… I think any coach being in a situation like that would always remember that.”

The journey to building a championship for the city of Halifax and the Wanderers community continues for Hart, who is busy assembling the club’s 2021 roster, which currently features 18 signed players (13 are returnees from the 2020 CPL Finals squad).

“Sports has always been an avenue of escape and we’re fortunate to be involved in it,” Hart said. “We’re lucky that there are a lot of people that depend on the sport to give them that moment away – go somewhere with friends, have a meal and some drinks. Escape is important in society and I hope the Wanderers continue to provide that in Halifax for years to come.”

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p76zrzpusF8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p76zrzpusF8</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 19, 2021, 04:13:44 PM »
Stephen Hart - Halifax Wanderers Head Coach - Interview

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/R6TNacQCQRY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/R6TNacQCQRY</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 19, 2021, 11:20:09 PM »
Boss Level : Fight (with Grinta)

All the best for the new normal, Chief.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stephen Hart recovers after falling ill during Canada football opener
« Reply #820 on: June 27, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »
Stephen Hart recovers after falling ill during Canada football opener
By Stephon Nicholas (T&T Newsday)

Former Trinidad and Tobago head coach Stephen Hart is expected to be back on the bench for HFX Wanderers soon, after suffering a health scare on Saturday.

Hart was under observation by paramedics after he complained of feeling unwell during a Canadian Premier League (CPL) match against Pacific FC at IG Field in Winnipeg.

It was the club's opening game of the season.

He told Newsday on Sunday that the club's medical staff recommended, out of an abundance of caution, that he seek medical attention.

Hart was replaced by assistant coach Mesut Mert.

Asked by Newsday how soon he is expected to make a full recovery, Hart said he was "feeling fine" and expects to resume duties very soon.

He posted on Twitter on Sunday, "Thanks to everyone for your messages of concern and well wishes. All is well!"

Wanderers lost to Pacific FC 2-0. Their next game is on Wednesday against Valour FC.

Hart enjoyed a successful spell with Trinidad and Tobago from 2013-2016, taking the Soca Warriors to the quarterfinals of the Concacaf Gold Cup in 2013 and 2015. He was named Canadian Premier League Coach of the Year in 2020.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stephen Hart departs bubble for medical reasons
« Reply #821 on: July 03, 2021, 04:09:50 PM »
Stephen Hart departs bubble for medical reasons
By John Jacques (Northern Tribune)

The Halifax Wanderers announced this morning that head coach Stephen Hart will be departing from the league’s Winnipeg-based bubble to undergo a minor medical procedure in Halifax.

The 61-year-old head coach was placed under medical examination as a precautionary measure during the club’s opening match on Saturday, with assistant coach Mesut Mert filling in for Hart at that point.

Hart resumed his post for the club’s second match, but a focus on his health absolutely comes first. Thankfully, the club states that he is expected to make a full and speedy recovery, and will be ready to rejoin the bench in late July.

Assistant coach Mesut Mert replaced outbound assistant Derek King last March, with the interim head coach bringing a lot of Nova Scotian experience with him to the east coast club.

Hart, 61, has been the head coach for the Halifax Wanderers for all three of its Canadian Premier League seasons. After a tough inaugural season, the former Canadian national team coach led the Wanderers to its first appearance in the CPL Final last year, earning a head coach of the year award for his efforts while also helping grow the league as a whole.

The Halifax Wanderers have looked sharp in their opening two fixtures, but suffered consecutive losses regardless. With Hart now exiting Winnipeg, the rest of the month will be a tough test for assistant coach Mesut Mert.

We wish Stephen Hart all the best in his recovery – the football world is made better with Hart in it, and his presence on an individual level will be missed while he focuses on his recovery.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 04, 2021, 04:47:47 AM »
Blessings and Quick Recovery. God Bless. :thumbsup:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 07, 2022, 07:11:08 AM »
WATCH: In this new series, CanPL.ca's Kristian Jack sits down with HFX Wanderers FC Head Coach Stephen Hart for a fun chat on the eve of the new season.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g_diV-rhQyg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g_diV-rhQyg</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 13, 2022, 09:12:09 AM »
Halifax Wanderers part ways with head coach Stephen Hart
HFX Wanderers Media

The Halifax Wanderers have parted ways with head coach Stephen Hart following the conclusion of the 2022 Canadian Premier League season.

“I met with Stephen yesterday and informed him that I felt it was time for new leadership at our football club,” Wanderers Founder and President Derek Martin said. “Stephen handled this conversation with the same class and dignity he has displayed while representing our club for the past five years, and I am forever grateful to him for helping our club get off the ground and for his immense contributions to the sport in Atlantic Canada.”

Hart was named the first head coach in Wanderers history in 2018 ahead of the inaugural Canadian Premier League season. In 2020, he was named the CPL Coach of the Year after leading Halifax to an appearance in the league final during The Island Games.

The Wanderers’ search for a new head coach begins immediately.

“With our passionate fans, natural grass pitch, roster flexibility and our exciting vision for the future of the Wanderers Grounds, I believe Halifax is the best job in Canadian soccer, and I am expecting several impressive Canadian and international candidates to come forward to lead our club into the future.”

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: October 13, 2022, 06:08:09 PM »
With DJW long gone, just maybe. .

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 14, 2022, 01:25:34 AM »

Before or after hell freezes over?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 14, 2022, 09:57:34 AM »

You don't think a return is possible? I'm pretty sure many are entertaining the idea. . No DJW, TTFA getting their finances together, and Eve (2nd to Hart). If Hart is still owed some money, get him on the phone and resolve it. I'm sure Hart will be open to it.

I think this might be the storyline we need.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 14, 2022, 10:25:51 AM »

You don't think a return is possible? I'm pretty sure many are entertaining the idea. . No DJW, TTFA getting their finances together, and Eve (2nd to Hart). If Hart is still owed some money, get him on the phone and resolve it. I'm sure Hart will be open to it.

Great, but what's in it for Hart?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 14, 2022, 04:28:20 PM »

What's in it for Hart? Hmm, let's see.. A job :)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 14, 2022, 06:02:08 PM »

How about: A HEADACHE!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 14, 2022, 06:55:09 PM »

How about: A HEADACHE!

Yeah, but remember Hart did not quit. He stayed in the position for a long time and tolerated the bs and headaches. Things went south when you know who got involved.

Do you think Hart would be open to having a discussion with the TTFA now that, you know who, is not in the picture? My answer is yes.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 14, 2022, 07:28:56 PM »
Breds, he better off riding for ah St. Pierre and Miquelon than heading to the site of the trauma and unpaid salary. HFX acted with a brand of grace unknown in T&T. Patriotism cut nuff throats.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 14, 2022, 09:03:42 PM »
Breds, he better off riding for ah St. Pierre and Miquelon than heading to the site of the trauma and unpaid salary. HFX acted with a brand of grace unknown in T&T. Patriotism cut nuff throats.

If salary is the issue then I see what you mean

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 15, 2022, 04:02:48 AM »

If salary is the issue then I see what you mean

I find yuh being exceptionally nostalgic.

Getting their finances together is NOT having their finances together. Whatever shift is occurring at the TTFA constitutes temporarily moving away from the edge of the precipice, not abandoning the precipice entirely.

Also --- Forget about the FANTASTICAL notion that Eve would play 2nd fiddle.  Why should he at this point by the way?

Behave yuhself. Push come to shove, the TTFA has an in-house ready-made solution. Corneal could succeed Eve or any successor to Eve.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 04:05:10 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 15, 2022, 11:38:49 AM »
Nothing wrong with being nostalgic. In fact everyone on this site who hope for a second coming of 2006 is nostalgic. .

Alright so Hart will never be returning from what it sounds like asylum. Thank you

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 16, 2022, 02:16:19 PM »
Nothing wrong with being nostalgic. In fact everyone on this site who hope for a second coming of 2006 is nostalgic. .

Alright so Hart will never be returning from what it sounds like asylum. Thank you

I am not SH's spokesperson.

Maybe VB could write the book on an eventual triumphal return and vindication, but a Hart return seems to ME to be a Nobel Peace Prize sort of suffering that not everyone would sign up for. If dahis not de case doh, instead of looking for a TD, Hadad should just have called Kendall Walkes to jump in de saddle again. Amidst a few choice words, something other than nostalgia might probably be the first thing that comes to Walkes' mind doh. And yeah, I am not Kendall Walkes' spokesperson.

That aside, ah feel yuh slightly blending ambition with nostalgia. Many posters here remember 2006 fondly but they do not latch on to any hope of us returning to that platform.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 02:18:29 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 16, 2022, 02:53:14 PM »
S Hart failed at the international level with both Canada and TT and now he has failed at the professional level nobody in there right mind who is serious about going to a WC is going to hire a coach who cannot cut it at that level but then again TT hired A Eve.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 20, 2022, 09:43:14 AM »
HFX Wanderers FC president speaks on coach Stephen Hart’s dismissal
By Martin Bauman (The Coast)

Derek Martin has a tall order ahead of him. The HFX Wanderers FC founder and president is in the market for a new head coach after dismissing the only one his club has ever had in Stephen Hart—a coach who, over four seasons, became almost synonymous with the club he led and generated no shortage of goodwill in the city he’s called home for much of the last 40 years.

Thursday’s news of the club and coach parting ways wasn’t entirely surprising; the Wanderers have missed the Canadian Premier League playoffs two seasons running and finished second-last in the league in 2022. Only two CPL head coaches remain with their clubs from 2019. But the Wanderers’ ouster of Hart represents a departure from the club’s former bet on continuity.

And now, Martin has to figure out what he wants his club to be.

‘Everything’s on the table’

“It certainly wasn’t an easy decision,” Martin says, speaking by phone with The Coast.

Since joining the club from its founding in 2018, Hart became a mainstay across the CPL. He was named league Coach of the Year after leading the Wanderers to the finals of the pandemic-shortened Island Games in 2020.

Martin calls Hart a “great man, a terrific human being,” and says he was “absolutely the perfect choice” to lead the club through its earliest stages. But, after three losing seasons in four years, the Wanderers’ founder says it’s time for a change.

“We haven’t had the success we want to have on the pitch,” Martin says.

And as the club prepares for a significant overhaul of its roster this offseason—“everything’s on the table,” Martin tells The Coast—the Wanderers’ head honcho is ready for a fresh start.

A decorated career

For Hart, the dismissal marks what could be the end of a long and prolific playing and coaching career in Halifax. Born in San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago, Hart arrived in Nova Scotia as a 21-year-old midfielder in 1981. While at Saint Mary’s University, he became an AUS all-star midfielder for the Huskies before joining Halifax semi-pro club King of Donair in 1983 as a player-coach. Hart was inducted into the SMU Sport Hall of Fame in 2016. He led King of Donair to four straight league titles and six cups.

“I fell in love with the city, the people… the rest is history, really,” Hart told The Coast in 2019.

An assistant with the Canada Soccer development program since 1997, Hart went on to coach the Canadian senior men’s national team in 2006-2007, and again from 2009-2012. Under Hart’s watch in 2007, Canada reached its first Gold Cup semifinal since 2002 and finished third in the tournament—a result that remains the club’s best since winning the Gold Cup in 2000.

“The young players who played under me and went on to represent their country and play professionally are way more important achievements,” he told the Trinidad & Tobago Guardian in 2014. “There were many and I was not the only influence, just happy to have contributed.”

Mixed results with Wanderers

Hart finishes his Wanderers coaching career with 26 wins, 30 draws, and 38 losses in all CPL matches. Only Forge FC’s Bobby Smyrniotis and Cavalry FC’s Tommy Wheeldon Jr. have coached more games for their CPL clubs than Hart. But while the coach’s longevity stands out among the league, the results weren’t always there to match. For two years running, the Wanderers have scored the fewest goals (28 and 24) of any CPL club.

Some of that, it could be argued, is a byproduct of the Wanderers’ youth.

“There’s a huge learning curve in training every day, having to come to work every day and be on top of your game. That’s not easy,” Hart told CanPL.ca’s Alex Gangué-Ruzic after the club’s end-of-season loss to Hamilton’s Forge FC on Oct. 9.

Some of the Wanderers’ misfortune is sheer bad luck: Two games into their 2022 campaign, star striker and reigning league Player of the Year João Morelli tore his ACL against Atlético Ottawa and missed the rest of the season. It’s not unreasonable to think a healthy Morelli—who scored 14 goals in 2021—would have helped the club’s win total. And even in his absence, the Wanderers nearly surprised in a hotly-contested 2-1 Canadian Championship quarterfinal loss to Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC.

But even still, the gap between the seventh-place Wanderers and fourth-place Pacific FC, which held the final playoff spot, was 17 points.

“This isn’t all on Stephen [Hart],” Martin tells The Coast. “But I think we owe it to our organization and to our fans to really cast a wide net [in search of a replacement].”

The Coast reached out to Hart for comment on his time with the Wanderers and what’s next, but he declined the invitation.

What comes next for Wanderers?

Hart was still under contract with the Wanderers for another season after signing a three-year extension in March 2021.

And while the club brought in former Real Madrid academy coach Alejandro Dorado in January 2022, Martin says there are no guarantees when it comes to the coaching staff next season. The same goes for much of the roster.

“The truth is that the group we've had has had, you know, two years now to perform on the pitch and for whatever reason, or reasons, we haven't been able to do it,” Martin says.

The Wanderers president says he expects “around 50%” of the Wanderers’ roster could turn over this offseason, with a number of expiring player contracts. (Determining who could be in or out is more difficult; unlike many other professional sports leagues, neither the league nor its clubs publicize a list of player contract lengths.)

As for finding Hart’s replacement, Martin hopes to hire a coach by November or December—and says he’s looking for someone who can “recruit and attract the highest quality players” and develop an “offensive, attacking style” that will excite fans.

“We want to be ready for the January window where a lot of players become available,” he says, adding he’s already fielded coaching inquiries from across Canada and overseas.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #839 on: November 14, 2022, 01:01:31 AM »
Does the TTFA even have the money to pay a full coaching staff on the level of the US?

Because if we don't have that at the bare minimum we are fighting a losing battle. The way Canada and other nations are playing, TT needs a world class coaching staff to even compete, far less beat those teams now.

I've been away for a while but Eve and Corneal and others locally are not the answer, SH was the answer until the sabotage happened with DJW and now Hadad I heard doesn't command the trust of many locally. Plus this normalisation committee derailed the best options for leadership.

TT is controlled and oppressed, so I doubt they want someone who is a patriot and great coach like SH coming back to coach a TT team that could beat the big 4.

The nostalgia is gone from TT, it will never come back unless the right people are in charge and actually take back control without the normalisation committee and it's appointees that are controlled.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 01:04:29 AM by Controversial »

1]; } ?>