Should coach Hart quit T&T?

No
8 (36.4%)
Yes
3 (13.6%)
Stay Under Circumstance
11 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Stephen Hart Thread  (Read 131038 times)

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T players want Hart back.
« Reply #720 on: January 14, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »
Word is that DJW was on i95.5 blaming Hart and the media for the shambles that TnT football in at the minute. Can anyone confirm that he said this?

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 14, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
pull stones,I  may have to disagree with you one of these days,but up to now you are a very objective bloke,and I again have to agree with your critical view of us Trinis in every department.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #722 on: January 14, 2017, 02:26:51 PM »
Word is that DJW was on i95.5 blaming Hart and the media for the shambles that TnT football in at the minute. Can anyone confirm that he said this?

Tell that Uncle Tom to shut he damn mouth and stop spreading lies..

He too damn corrupt and sell out we nation

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 14, 2017, 02:32:43 PM »

Did you listen to the radio show and hear him say that?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #724 on: January 14, 2017, 02:46:10 PM »

Did you listen to the radio show and hear him say that?

No I didn't listen but I don't doubt for a minute he said that to deflect from his corruption

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 14, 2017, 10:54:39 PM »
pull stones,I  may have to disagree with you one of these days,but up to now you are a very objective bloke,and I again have to agree with your critical view of us Trinis in every department.
why thank you mate. not that i am anything special nor do i see my self as such but i am a just a trinidadian who wants the best for his country though i have not lived there since i was an early teen, and when i look around i see a country with such resources including human and natural with loads of potential dragged haphazardly down the drain by these meat heads who has been entrusted with the charge and care of this country it really bothers me, and it's the reason why i am so passionate about the mismanagement of such a wonderful island. too sad.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #726 on: January 14, 2017, 11:31:53 PM »
why thank you mate. not that i am anything special nor do i see my self as such but i am a just a trinidadian who wants the best for his country though i have not lived there since i was an early teen, and when i look around i see a country with such resources including human and natural with loads of potential dragged haphazardly down the drain by these meat heads who has been entrusted with the charge and care of this country it really bothers me, and it's the reason why i am so passionate about the mismanagement of such a wonderful island. too sad.

What is this? a budding bromance of bullshitters  :rotfl:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Stephen Hart Thread
« Reply #727 on: January 19, 2017, 04:54:54 AM »
Hart: Mistakes are the true mother of learning.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

Stephen Hart, the ex T&T football coach has challenged students who participated at the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) last year, to educate themselves by learning to think situations out for their benefit.

Preceding that Kedie Johnson of St. Augustine Secondary School and Tyrell Emmanuel of Shiva Boys Hindu College, were adjudged as the Secondary School’s Football League - 2016 Players of the Year 2016. The duo during yesterday’s SSFL annual awards ceremony.

However, Hart in a sterling feature speech at the ceremony, reminded the young budding footballers and future professionals that they are the only ones to make them better. He urged them to decide how they can get the edge in their profession of choice, and how they can polish their strengths, and attack their weaknesses.

Using a quote from famous German theoretical physicist Albert Einstein, Hart, who also travelled the road as a young footballer before his entry into football as a coach, said, “Education is not the learning of fact but rather the training of the mind to think.”

He explained that education is all around them, pointing to the sport of football which he said is filled with rich education. “There is cultural diversity education in it. It has science in it, now more than ever- the mechanics of the body and what you can do with humans who play the game?. It has physics in it. If you want to know how to bend a ball and how to strike it properly, believe it or not it has physics in it. And most of all the sport is a thinkers’ game,” Hart said.

He added, “It is not a game about muscle. Muscle does not think, the brain tells muscle what to do.” He told the large gathering of students, teachers, coaches and supporters that he only learnt a few things after his graduation from university, which was to gather information, process it, which he described as the difficult part because of the amount of misinformation out there, and how to reproduce it for the benefit and delivery of what he had to do.

He credited his mentor, Hungarian Roman Nayabecky, a well educated lover of the game of football, for encouraging him to take coaching courses, absorb what he liked and discard what he did not. He said it was Nayabecky who told him to create his own unique style and quality to the game, which has stayed with him for the rest of his life.

This education Hart brought to T&T football three years ago and managed to stabilise the game in the midst of turmoil and controversy, saying as a coach he has learnt that it requires influencing behaviours.

Though he was sacked as national coach, Hart who has guided the Soca Warriors to the Final round of the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, encouraged the young footballers to be not afraid of making mistakes, saying ‘Mistakes are the true mother of learning as it will only make you stronger and better.’

“A person who never made a mistake, has never tried anything new,” Hart told the young players and in giving them some tips on how to be successful he urged them to write their goals down and pin it up so that they can see it every morning, seek out a mentor and listen more and talk less.

RELATED NEWS

Hart urges youths to keep striving at SSFL award ceremony.
T&T Newsday Reports.

STEPHEN HART enlightened this country’s next generation of footballers at the Secondary School’s Football League (SSFL) award ceremony held yesterday, at the National Cycling Centre in Couva, as he delivered the feature speech at the function.

While admitting that public speaking is not his forte as he is quite more comfortable talking on the field, Hart expressed his honour to address the talented youngsters as he encouraged them to always be mentally focused and have the discipline it takes to strive for more and make a positive name for oneself.

Hart made reference to a lesson his coaching mentor taught him as he gave advice to the players by stating, “Write everything down and absorb what you like, discard what you do not like but most importantly, add what is uniquely your own by bringing your own quality.” Hart reminded the athletes that coaching is only the influencing of behaviour and they (the athletes) have to be the ones to go out there on the field and do the job.

While relaying this message, he encouraged them to always be curious as to how they can develop themselves to become better, how to develop a dynamic or create a cutting edge to enhance and grow as a player, as well as understanding how does each individual training session impacts on performances produced on the field.

Hart motivated the athletes in attendance, of various schools throughout Trinidad, as he stressed, “Keep polishing your strengths because coaches like players for what they can do but always remember to approach your weaknesses in the same manner you attack the opposition on the field.

Remember only you can make you better!” Shiva Boys’ dominated the 2016 all-star team in the male category as Fyzabad also made their presence known in the female division of the SSFL as they both had the most players of all schools in representation amongst the best players of the season.

Six “Shiva” players managed to impose themselves into the team as they had a player from every position in the team which consisted of their goalkeeper, defender, three midfielders and striker. Three of their players also made it into the “top five best players” along with their midfield maestro Tyrell Emmanuel copping the Player of the Year award.

“Fyzo” also featured a player from each position as they filled five spots in the all-star female team and produced two of the “top five best players” at this year’s ceremony.

Kedie Johnson of St Augustine Secondary won the female Player of the Year award.

Honours were shared amongst the athletes in attendance as SSFL distributed awards across the different divisions of their programme.

At the championship division, each zonal champions won a total of $3,000 for their school, while Carapichaima won the “Big 5” Shell Trophy along with adding an extra $5,000 to their account.

In a similar manner in the female category, the FCB trophy was captured by St. Augustine Secondary as they added $4,000 to their $3,000 as each zonal champion received the cash for winning their respective zone.

Coca-Cola Intercol Champions San Juan North Secondary and Premier Division Champions Shiva Boys College both won $8000 and $23,000 for claiming their respective titles. However, Naparima College came away the largest winner on the day as they won the Digicel Play Cup and pocketed a total of $30,000 for becoming champions. Presentation College San Fernando, who lost to naps in the finals,received $10,000 for their second place finish.

2016 All-Stars Boys

Goalkeepers: Desean Bowen (Trinity College, Moka), Rahim Lee (Pleasantville Secondary), Denzil Smith (Shiva Boys Hindu College);

Defenders: Yohannes Richardson (Shiva Boys Hindu College), Mylz Barrington (Presentation College, San F’do), Derron John (St Anthony’s College), Mickel Ravello (St Benedict’s College), Kyle Thomas (San Juan North Secondary), Zion Holder (St Augustine Secondary);

Midfielders: Jordan Riley (Presentation College, San F’do), Quinn Rodney, Tyrel Emmanuel, Judah Garcia (all Shiva Boys Hindu College), Akil Frank (Signal Hill Secondary), Justin Sadoo (Naparima College);

Forwards: Isaiah Lee (Naparima College), Haile Beckles (St Anthony’s College), Junior Asson (Shiva Boys Hindu College), Renaldo Boyce (San Juan North Secondary), Nion Lammy (Presentation College, San F’do).

2016 All-Stars Girls

Goalkeepers: Kaydeen Jack (Diego Martin Central), Chelsea Ramnath (Fyzabad Secondary), Danisha Britto (St Augustine Secondary);

Defenders: Abigail LaRode (St Augustine Secondary), Tamara Johnson, Collette Morgan (both Fyzabad Secondary), Kerice King (Tranquility Secondary), Jaasiel Forde (Bishop’s Anstey East);

Midfielders: Malak Marcelle (Diego Martin Central), Denecia Prince (Fyzabad Secondary), Shaunelle Govia (Tranquility Secondary), Ranea Warde (Bishop’s Anstey, POS), Shenieka Paul (Pleasantville Secondary), Aaliyah Lynch (St Augustine Secondary);

Forwards: Asha James (Signal Hill Secondary), Celene Lorraine (Mason Hall Secondary), Reanique Primus (Fyzabad Secondary), Chantal Murrell (Bishop’s Anstey, POS), Ke’die Johnson, Adanya Phillip (both St Augustine Secondary).

Individual Awards

Female: Top 5 - Kedie Johnson (St Augustine Secondary), Shaunalee Govia (Tranquillity Secondary) Malak Marcelle (Diego Martin Central), Collette Morgan, Denecia Prince (Fyzabad Secondary).

Player of the Year – Kedie Johnson (St Augustine Secondary)

Male: Top 5 – Isaiah Lee (Naparima College), Kyle Thomas (San Juan North Sec.), Quinn Rodney, Junior Asson and Tyrell Emmanuel (Shiva Boys Hindu College)

Player of the Year – Tyrell Emmanuel (Shiva Boys Hindu College).

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:34:59 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 19, 2017, 05:18:23 AM »
Excellent advice to the young and not so young alike.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 19, 2017, 07:05:31 AM »
BRING BACK HART BRING BACK HART BRING BACK HART!!!

Right now I think Terry Fenwick should get the nod though

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 19, 2017, 07:28:02 AM »
Let me just say how stupid JDW and Shabazz are ,they been plotting to overthrow Hart since last January ,and in all that time never put any thought into who would be his successor  ??? ,really trying to use google for a bargain bin coach !
This was the plan when ffisback was calling for Harts heart on a platter ?
Now DJW says he's not helping in picking the coach ,this from a man we heard was insulting Hart in the stands .All of a sudden he does not interfere with the coaching .
What we have to remember SWN is that DJW owns a pro league team which he thinks plays fantastic and at a great standard ,so now that he's running the MNT seeing them play at a pro league standard would be a source of pride for him ,because to him that is good football .
Only problem would be the MNT would be as popular to the TNT public as a proleague game.
As for rehiring Hart ,that might be the only way to save this disaster of a hex ,but can those two suddenly powerful head honchos of the Federation be able to swallow there pride and admit that they were wrong ?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:31:17 AM by Quags »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 19, 2017, 07:49:06 AM »
It's like leaving your wife in the Hilton to go bull ah thing in ah latrine 😄

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 19, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »

A A latrine ting on this thread too?

Quags you and Sam in cahoots or what :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #733 on: January 19, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »

A A latrine ting on this thread too?

Quags you and Sam in cahoots or what :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Seems like real horn chirren being conceived in latrines these days in TT...

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 19, 2017, 01:50:39 PM »
What struck a chord with me in that piece were these words which came at the very end

LISTEN MORE AND TALK LESS
Those words speak volumes especially with all the bachanal going on right now
They would not listen ...And they sure have alot to say.... Including myself..lol

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: February 23, 2017, 06:07:01 PM »
I wonder if Canada has the balls to hire him ?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 24, 2017, 08:30:57 AM »

On the other hand TTFA could have showed some balls and bring him back as a technical director or special advisor to the new management team that is seriously lacking in experience.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 24, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »

On the other hand TTFA could have showed some balls and bring him back as a technical director or special advisor to the new management team that is seriously lacking in experience.

TTFA decisions not bout balls, that seems more personal

add: maybe hart and his staff salary was to much...look how much coaches we can afford now...men, good ol boys and women and staff..
Lot's of ppl round DJW know the story, but dey not telling we, we mouth to big
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:28:49 AM by maxg »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 04, 2017, 09:27:58 PM »
before it get lost. Thanks Stephen Hart. Even in the game where we get drubbed 4-0 by the US, the first 10-15 mins of that game I see Trinbago knock ball so beautifully and with so much confidence. I can't remember the last time. Maybe was the liquor in my system but I was so sure we would make waves in the WC with a brand that was ours - players really allowed the freedom to express themselves.
Good luck in your next step. I hope you make yourself even better (keep coaching at a higher level) for when we shake off this jumbie administration and hopefully shake of the jumbies in the next administration so we could bring you back again and hopefully you give us a chance again. To make T&T take three steps forward after two steps back. Thanks for all the work you put in for us fans, you brought pride back to us. We wish Dennis well too as a son of the soil, but all true fans will yearn for your return.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 05, 2017, 08:26:20 AM »
before it get lost. Thanks Stephen Hart. Even in the game where we get drubbed 4-0 by the US, the first 10-15 mins of that game I see Trinbago knock ball so beautifully and with so much confidence. I can't remember the last time. Maybe was the liquor in my system but I was so sure we would make waves in the WC with a brand that was ours - players really allowed the freedom to express themselves.
Good luck in your next step. I hope you make yourself even better (keep coaching at a higher level) for when we shake off this jumbie administration and hopefully shake of the jumbies in the next administration so we could bring you back again and hopefully you give us a chance again. To make T&T take three steps forward after two steps back. Thanks for all the work you put in for us fans, you brought pride back to us. We wish Dennis well too as a son of the soil, but all true fans will yearn for your return.

Well said. I echo your sentiments.

Thank You SH. You did more than you know. I know you have soooo much more you could have led us with but was hindered.

Please don't close the door on us. . .

Will be looking for you wherever you serve next. . .full support
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 12:41:06 PM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 05, 2017, 11:39:59 AM »

SH is pure class, on and off the field!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #741 on: March 05, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »

SH is pure class, on and off the field!

Boss post   :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stephen Hart announced as coach of new Halifax Wanderers FC
« Reply #742 on: June 29, 2018, 02:24:25 AM »
Stephen Hart announced as coach of new Halifax Wanderers FC
By Yvette d'Entremont (The Star Halifax)

On Thursday, the new HFX Wanderers FC named Stephen Hart as their first head coach and general manager.

A former coach of the Canadian men’s national team, Hart also served as Trinidad and Tobago’s national team coach from 2013 to 2016.

Derek Martin, founder and president of Sports & Entertainment Atlantic, said Hart’s name was constantly repeated as dreams of bringing a Canadian Premier League team to Halifax started to become a reality.

“He’s been at every level, he’s had success, that goes without saying, but what I really enjoyed was getting to know the man and I think the man is someone who represents what we want our club to be,” Martin told a crowd of soccer fans gathered at the Wanderers Grounds for the announcement.

Hart smiled and told the crowd he is known for liking “a certain type of game,” one he said he will not change nor apologize for.

“This will be about inspiring young players, it will be about putting a product on the field that we can enjoy and cheer for,” Hart said.

“This is brand new so, like in building anything, it takes time. It will take time to get things right, but along the way … it’s going to be exciting. It’s going to be adventurous, I can promise you that.”

Hart served two stints as head coach of the Canadian national men’s team, the first as interim coach in 2006 and 2007. He then took over the national team full time in 2009 before quitting in the wake of Canada’s 8-1 loss in Honduras in October 2012.

That defeat ended Canada’s World Cup qualifying bid at the time.

Hart’s record during his two stints at the helm of the Canadian men’s team was 20-15-10.

In an interview, he said he learned a lot from coaching the national men’s team.

“The first major lesson is that our player base was probably too small and it’s a result of young players that are trying to break through not having a place to cut their teeth, so to speak. I think this (league) will address that, very much so,” Hart said.

He said to be competitive on the world soccer stage, Canada “desperately” needed a league of its own.

“We are probably the last country that’s trying to qualify for world events without a league. There’s a lot of talk about Iceland but Iceland not only has a premier league, they have four divisions of soccer, and here we are 30 million people and we didn’t even have one division,” Hart noted.

“So now this is more of a national league rather than each province having its own league and us being fractured. Hopefully this will build into something that goes across the entire country.”

Hart will now begin the task of finding the new club’s players.

“In order for that game to be part of all of us, it comes down to the players. It’s not going to be about me,” Hart said.

“At the end of the day, players they bring the product to the field, they’re on the stage and they’re the ones who are going to have to perform.”

Hart will now begin the task of determining the new club’s players and its style of play. He’ll kick-start his scouting of local talent as he puts together a team of Atlantic Under-23 Selects.

They’ll play an exhibition match against Fortuna Düsseldorf at the Wanderers Grounds on July 28 at 4 p.m. Tickets for that game will go on sale to the general public on July 3.

“Teams have to have a balance. You can’t go crazy on one end ... I know the type of player that I’ll be looking for and the type of players that will blend into something,” Hart said.

“I have always told the coaches when I had provincial teams, when in doubt, select enthusiasm … Regardless of how talented a player is they have to bring their passion to the field and to the team.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 29, 2018, 04:36:40 AM »
 :thumbsup: :cheers: :salute:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 29, 2018, 07:11:44 AM »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 29, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »
Good for coach Hart, congrats  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hart looks to bring style to the Canadian Premier League
« Reply #746 on: June 29, 2018, 05:11:50 PM »
Hart looks to bring style to the Canadian Premier League
By Matthew Gourlie (juneof86.com)

Stephen Hart is pragmatic, but he’s also an idealist.

While head coach of the Canadian men’s national team, his sides were difficult to break down, but they also looked to build from the back, possess the ball and have his players express themselves.

Now, given the chance to be the first head coach and general manager in the history of HFX Wanderers FC, Hart has no plans on changing his style or his approach.

“I’m under no illusions. In the professional game it’s about getting the result, but for me the game has always been about individual artistry and collective brilliance,” Hart said as he was introduced at a press conference at Wanderers Grounds in Halifax.

“Most of you who know me, you know I like a certain type of game and I will not apologize for that and I will not change that. It comes down to the players. It’s not going to be about me. At the end of the day, players bring the product to the field, they’re on the stage and they are the ones who are are going to have to perform.”

Hart, 58, previously managed the Canadian and Trinidad and Tobago national teams. He coached in Nova Scotia for more than a decade before earning a coaching post with Canada’s under-17 team in 2001 and steadily climbing the CSA’s coaching ranks. He has lived in the Halifax region for nearly 40 years.

Derek Martin, founder and president of Sports & Entertainment Atlantic and Wanderers FC president, said it was vital to find the right person to helm the soccer operations side of the club. When Martin began to look into bringing professional soccer to Halifax, Hart’s name kept coming up in the local soccer community. He feels that Hart is the perfect fit for the job.

“It was very clear to me that he had the respect of the soccer people in this community, which is obviously hugely important, but what was a real pleasure for me was getting to know Stephen,” Martin said. “It wasn’t just his soccer acumen and what he knew about the game — that’s obvious… that goes without saying — what I really enjoyed was getting to know the man.

“The man represents what we want our club to be. He has a passion. He has a purpose. This is his community, just like it is all of ours. He chose to live here. He chose to make this his home, to build a life here and start a family here. He wants this club to succeed on the pitch, but he wants this club to succeed for this community. That’s what really drew me and made me believe that Stephen is the right man for this job.”

It has been 18 months since Hart was fired as the head coach of his native Trinidad and Tobago. After being away from his wife and three daughters for long stretches at a time during the post, he returned to Nova Scotia and took a break.

“I thought I would take some time off and see if a project would come up that I could really sink my teeth into,” Hart said. “I met Derek and he was very convincing and very enthusiastic about doing this. Of course, it’s in a region that I’m very familiar with, where I feel at home and where I feel like a big part of the soccer landscape.”

After being a manager in international soccer for 10 years, Hart is looking forward to returning to club soccer and building his program from the ground up.

“That’s really the most appealing part. Of course these things take time and sport is not known for its patience,” Hart said.

“I tell players and I told the organization that I would like everyone to focus more on the process rather than results, because if the process is right it eventually leads to some sort of continuity and consistency. That usually leads to results.

“I think the organization is going to go about things the right way. They understand that this is new and we’re now getting off the ground. We have a good understanding of what we want to see and the product we want to put on the field.”

Hart has a clear vision for the kind of players and kind of team he wants to put on the pitch for the Wanderers’ inaugural season in the spring of 2019. He spoke about building a spine of the team — from the keeper through the centre of defence and midfield to the front-man — that is “very special and has good qualities.” He also stressed there needs to be balance within the team.

“I know the type of player I will be looking for and the type of players that will blend into something,” Hart said. “I have always told the coaches, when I had provincial teams, when in doubt select enthusiasm. Enthusiasm got me to take the job. I fed off of Derek’s enthusiasm. Regardless of how talented a player is, they have to bring their passion to the field and to the team.”

The focus of the CPL is developing the Canadian player and that is obviously something Hart is passionate about. Still, he believes that drawing the right foreign players to the league can help speed along that development and enhance the league.

“That’s a big part of the league and it’s a big part of any league really. Whether you’re talking about the top leagues in the world or MLS, it’s a big part of the league to have foreign content that brings something different. Players that can show what it means to be professional and of course bring qualify on the field itself,” Hart said.

HFX Wanderers FC are starting from scratch. There is a ton of work to complete to get a coaching staff and training facilities prepared for their first season. There are big picture, long-term goals, but for now he feels it’s going to be a lot of hard work just to get the first team ready for that first season.

“We have a relatively short time period to put a team together and get it functioning and then it’s baby steps,” Hart said. “We would love to engage the community of course. We have strong youth programs in the region. It’s our job to communicate and interact with those community programs to see how we can best work together.”

Until Iceland made it’s debut this year, Trinidad and Tobago was the smallest nation to ever qualify for the World Cup. And yet Hart made his professional debut in the local professional league straight out of high school. Those opportunities have long been lacking for young Canadian players.

“We are the only country remaining that is trying to qualify on the world’s stage without a professional league,” Hart said. “In my time period it was a big problem. What would happen is that young players by the age of 19 or 20 if they didn’t get an opportunity in Europe or maybe South America/Latin America they would be out of the game. Now you have an opportunity to increase your player pool, provide opportunities for many talented players and hopefully they stay in the game longer, use the league to learn to be professional and develop and then move on to bigger and better things.”

It’s big for all Canadian players, but it will also stoke the ambitions of players in the region and across Atlantic Canada. The Wanderers are the first professional team in Atlantic Canada since the Nova Scotia Clippers played one season in the Canadian Soccer League in 1991.

“This is certainly a very, very exciting time for all of us in the region who are passionate about the game and have been involved as players or coaches, we always felt there was one piece of the puzzle missing,” Hart said. “For the pathway of any aspiring player, that piece of the puzzle would have been having a professional team and a professional league.”

The initial hirings have proven that there are no straight lines to becoming a head coach in the Canadian Premier League. Still, Hart’s path was less direct than most.

Born in San Fernando, Trinidad, Hart received his first cap for his country in 1980 just before he joined friend Jeff Agostini at St. Mary’s University in Halifax. He earned a degree at St. Mary’s and applied for a post to work in environmental resource management to work at preserving Trinidad and Tobago’s coral reefs. The job never came, he stayed in Halifax, married his wife Lynn and never left.

Hart acknowledged George Athanasiou at the opening press conference. Athanasiou founded King of Donair soccer club in 1983 along with Nick Garonis and Takis Mitropoulos. In 1988 he convinced Hart to assume coaching duties in addition to playing.

King of Donair became the dominant amateur club team in Nova Scotia and won national medals in 1994 and ’95 before finally winning the Challenge Cup in 2001. Five King of Donair players — including Ante Jazic — played for Canada at one level or another. That success, to say nothing of his eight years working as technical director of Soccer Nova Scotia, earned him a job with the Canadian Soccer Association in 2001.

He progressed up the ranks and became Frank Yallop’s assistant with the men’s national team. When Yallop returned to Major League Soccer in June of 2006, Hart was elevated to interim manager. The 2007 Gold Cup team beat Costa Rica and put on a show in ousting Guatemala 3-0 in the quarter-final. They famously lost the semifinal to the United States when Atiba Hutchinson’s injury-time equalizer was incorrectly flagged offside.

“The players at the time were at a very good age and they were all playing regularly at their respective levels and it was a good moment for a lot of the players. We had a good balance,” Hart said. “The approach of how we played the game, I have always tried to play that way. I do understand that the objective is to win the game. You don’t get any points for style. I’m not going to change. That is just how I do things.”

Hart’s side played some of the most attractive soccer the national team had ever seen, but it wasn’t enough to earn the full-time post. Instead, Dale Mitchell took over in the run-up to the 2010 World Cup. Once again Hart took over on an interim basis in April of 2009, guided the team to a winning record at the Gold Cup and this time earned the full-time post in December of the same year.

In the 2014 World Cup qualifiers, Hart’s side never found the high level that  ’07 Gold Cup, but Canada under Hart was pragmatic and hard to beat. They only lost twice in a 16-match span and had conceded three goals in 11 qualifying matches. Then they went to San Pedro Sula only needing a draw to reach the hexagonal and the rest is history. Honduras won 8-1 and Hart resigned two days after the match.

Still, Hart won 20 matches, drew 10 and lost 15 in his time in charge of Canada. He had a winning record with Trinidad as well. They drew Mexico and didn’t lose a match at the 2015 Gold Cup, going out in the ninth round of penalties against Panama in the quarter-finals. They qualified for the hex with a match to spare, but he was fired after the second round of matches in the hex in November of 2016 after T&T lost 2-0 to Costa Rica at home and 3-1 in Honduras.

Local fans will get to see Hart in action when he guides a team of under-23 selects from across Atlantic Canada for a friendly against the under-23 team of newly promoted Germany Bundesliga side Fortuna Düsseldorf.

Hart will get a week to train the young players and get to know them and see their qualities.

“I’ve been looking at them and I know most of the players. Really it’s more of an outing for the fans, than anything else,” Hart said of the friendly. “It does allow me to see how some of these players — if they’re selected — how they respond to an opposition that are going to be well-prepared and have spent a lot of time together and are mature — even though they’re 20 or 21 years old.

“It gives me a measuring stick to see who can step up and who looks the part.”

The match will be played on Saturday, July 28 at 4 p.m. local time and Wanderers FC members have exclusive first rights to tickets.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 30, 2018, 01:25:56 PM »
Good luck Harty
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 30, 2018, 07:39:49 PM »