Should coach Hart quit T&T?

No
8 (36.4%)
Yes
3 (13.6%)
Stay Under Circumstance
11 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Stephen Hart Thread  (Read 131066 times)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Hart Thread
« Reply #780 on: November 21, 2019, 11:54:28 PM »
Make lil room for Contro dey . . . . . . . ;D

Allyuh know is now we going Worle Cup
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 22, 2019, 12:57:47 AM »
Please hart stay away. IMO it’s never good to look back and like in the proverbial words of the Rastas forward ever backward never. time for a fresh start and what better than a fair minded respectable no nonsense white man from europe ala benhakker or a hispanic from south america particularly argentina or uraguay.

these boys needs new ideas and a new situation to stimulate and inspire the players , and I believe a south american would understand the concacaf culture better than even us in concacaf and would implement a style better suited to deal with the central americans and the mexicans.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 22, 2019, 05:15:55 AM »
Please hart stay away. IMO it’s never good to look back and like in the proverbial words of the Rastas forward ever backward never. time for a fresh start and what better than a fair minded respectable no nonsense white man from europe ala benhakker or a hispanic from south america particularly argentina or uraguay.

these boys needs new ideas and a new situation to stimulate and inspire the players , and I believe a south american would understand the concacaf culture better than even us in concacaf and would implement a style better suited to deal with the central americans and the mexicans.
You want some football or the mother of all court cases. I think at this point without any major future tournaments in any senior program, we can only buy local and cheap local. A primary school league coach, Holy Name convent coach and 2nd runner up in SSFl coach. Yuh can’t drink double black with sweedrink money. The way things going, Fifa might say carryon, and WASA lock off the water at we Home of football.( the cash well)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 22, 2019, 08:05:37 AM »

You want some football or the mother of all court cases. I think at this point without any major future tournaments in any senior program, we can only buy local and cheap local. A primary school league coach, Holy Name convent coach and 2nd runner up in SSFl coach. Yuh can’t drink double black with sweedrink money. The way things going, Fifa might say carryon, and WASA lock off the water at we Home of football.( the cash well)
Give Eve a chance and allow him to start over, there are players including stones boo boy dat should be phased out and maybe reduce the average age of d team....a new start and hopefully less repetitive bitching
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:10:33 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 22, 2019, 08:11:59 AM »

thanks for saying what you said you have spoken like a typical trinidadian, no ideas no solutions no collective bargaining and nothing that spells progressive and forward thinking, and this is typically indicative of all the trinis who held power in every spare of this nation. they came in to our lives with nothing but an inflated ego and a hungry belly and by the time they left things were worst off than they found it.

MG. did you even follow this thing closely where lok loy and hartford was banging on DJW for his lack of transparency and at one point brought a vote of no confidence urging him to resign? lok loy then locked horns with dennis lawrence calling for his resignation claiming that he wasn’t the right man for the job based on a string of poor performances, and i want to believe it was even before the gold cup where lawrence still had my support, causing dennis to threaten lok loy with a pre action protocol if an apology was not in order.

my good friend, timkee hartford and lok loy is not going to sit back and allow any old goat to coach our team going forward, even if they have to take out a loan to make it happen, and i think you could take that to the bank and cash it. they probably already have a coach picked out and waiting to hit the ground running in case they beat DJW come sunday. these are businessmen you talking bout mate, not some power hungry autocratic federation president with a head strong country boy come to town inflated ego and void of ideas.

I will say no more on the subject so you can have your say, i’ll just wait for the next few weeks GW to sought things out on its own. me thinks interesting times are on its way.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:19:06 AM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: November 22, 2019, 08:24:52 AM »

Give Eve a chance and allow him to start over, there are players including stones boo boy dat should be phased out and maybe reduce the average age of d team....a new start and hopefully less repetitive bitching
dont know anything about angus eve and his ability to coach. I’m aware that he had a few stints as a head coach in the national set up with the under 23 and other age groups that went no where. at this stage if i had the power to choose i personally would stay clear of coaches who have achieved nothing in their careers, we all saw where that got us (dennis, bertile, corneal, hart, gally, etc) compared to the one coach who won the champions league don leo who got us to the world cup on short notice and on his first try, and that’s just what we need.

as it stands our only hope of seeing the next gold cup is to gird up our loins get into battle mode and fight like mad dogs for one of the four spots left, we had the easy route and we blew it, now we have to fight up with teams like haiti and guatemala and we need a good general leading the lines, not another OJT local coach who has won nothing but a few SSFL titles. maybe i’m wrong about angus and he might possibly be exactly what the doctor ordered, but i wouldn’t chance it not after what we’ve been through with dennis the menace.

angus eve could be one for the future but he needs to start small and grow in stature. i say give him some more time in the oven to cook properly, but as of right now we need a battle tested decorated general, not a well trained lieutenant.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:54:34 AM by pull stones »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 22, 2019, 08:28:07 AM »
Yuh say DJW is a HEAD strong country boy come to town? Right on de $$$. Thing is he would say he would ah never reach town but for his obstinacy and insistence - both attributes the "young residue" (see Jack's disquisition) shares with a certain publisher from Moruga.

He loves to push a town vs country HEAD, ah we vs dem HEAD, ah elite versus underclass HEAD, ah "dem in de way" HEAD with ah "leave meh alone allyuh ...allyuh trust meh ah know wha ah doing" HEAD, ah "in de fullness of time" HEAD, ah "I is ah smartman, allyuh is fools" HEAD,  and ah Messianic "I was destined to run this organization" head ...

This last one I acknowledge in part because he was destined to run the TTFA >>> into the ground.

Dahis real HEAD and no real progress.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:57:04 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: November 22, 2019, 09:57:23 AM »

dont know anything about angus eve and his ability to coach. I’m aware that he had a few stints as a head coach in the national set up with the under 23 and other age groups that went no where. at this stage if i had the power to choose i personally would stay clear of coaches who have achieved nothing in their careers, we all saw where that got us (dennis, bertile, corneal, hart, gally, etc) compared to the one coach who won the champions league don leo who got us to the world cup on short notice and on his first try, and that’s just what we need.

as it stands our only hope of seeing the next gold cup is to gird up our loins get into battle mode and fight like mad dogs for one of the four spots left, we had the easy route and we blew it, now we have to fight up with teams like haiti and guatemala and we need a good general leading the lines, not another OJT local coach who has won nothing but a few SSFL titles. maybe i’m wrong about angus and he might possibly be exactly what the doctor ordered, but i wouldn’t chance it not after what we’ve been through with dennis the menace.

angus eve could be one for the future but he needs to start small and grow in stature. i say give him some more time in the oven to cook properly, but as of right now we need a battle tested decorated general, not a well trained lieutenant.

dude u was wondering aloud about d original flat track bully himself Jamal in Eve brief stints his teams were  at least competitive in Concacaf, Jamal has never been competitive at concacaf, Eve won a few SSFL titles yes and I believe dat the quality of SSFL is way over hyped, but to go undefeated for two seasons in row has to count for something, levels notwithstanding and guess what many of the characteristics that dog trini football at all levels seem to be addressed in some form - Defending from the front, attacking from the back, unit play, speed, defenders dat actually look like they can defend, competence with the ball from back to front, we so called elite U15s ticked none of these boxes in their recent games.......sometimes yuh hadda apply context to situations when yuh have an idea and contextually Eve makes sense, if not d Seniors let him have d U20s to bring forward through d age groups as a longer term project. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:05:24 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 22, 2019, 11:14:03 AM »

dude u was wondering aloud about d original flat track bully himself Jamal in Eve brief stints his teams were  at least competitive in Concacaf, Jamal has never been competitive at concacaf, Eve won a few SSFL titles yes and I believe dat the quality of SSFL is way over hyped, but to go undefeated for two seasons in row has to count for something, levels notwithstanding and guess what many of the characteristics that dog trini football at all levels seem to be addressed in some form - Defending from the front, attacking from the back, unit play, speed, defenders dat actually look like they can defend, competence with the ball from back to front, we so called elite U15s ticked none of these boxes in their recent games.......sometimes yuh hadda apply context to situations when yuh have an idea and contextually Eve makes sense, if not d Seniors let him have d U20s to bring forward through d age groups as a longer term project.
i remember angus about 8 yrs ago coaching an under 23 team that got demolished by mexico with the same defenders we have today who’s making the same dotish mistakes they made when they were amateurs (cyrus, bateau, williams), the appropriate question would be, what has angus eve done to fix his situation from eight yrs ago.

I remember Kerry baptiste being top scorer two years in a row for joe public and trent noel winning player of the year twice in succession when there was an outcry by the local fraternity concerning Kerry being ignored for foreign based players, they pressured the coach so much that he left the job and latapy came in and brought with him kerry and trent noel, Kerry scored only one goal in his many appearances and trent didn’t score a single goal.

a few years later the same thing happened this time it was willis plaza’s turn and how he was being ignored by the german coach in spite of his tremendous goal tally, he was here to save the national team and he’s being over looked for kenwin the boo boy. then Hudson Charles came in and right away put plaza on the team, not only did the lad under perform but he probably had maybe two competitive goals to his name, i think one was vs anguilla on a water logged pitch.

then again another savior arose to rescue trinidad and tobago senior team, this time it was Nathan lewis of jabloteh. the jablo coach cuss steven hart, dereck king and babba charles stink accusing them of bias against their starlet who was scoring goals like he found them on the side of the road, eventually hart relented and brought lewis on the team and it’s been 4 years now and he’s yet to sore in a competitive match.

you see this is the problem i have with TT football, we put the cart before the horse in that regard and delude ourselves into thinking that our standard of football is somehow just as good as anywhere else. I remember as a boy growing up playing in the savannah hearing the older fellers saying that we play a brazilian style of football in trinidad, poor me i’m a lad not knowing shite about football nor what’s taking place in the world of football so i ran with it.

then the world cup in argentina came up and I was left wondering why we weren’t there, being just as good as brazil we should be there, and it was only when I went to england that I learned that we were a rubbish team and couldn’t even beat costa rica, but listening to those men i would swear that we were tops in the world, and still, that mentality still pervade our society today. the truth is that we’re no where closer to a class team, and ask me why? because we don’t have the infrastructure nor did we put in the work necessary to even make us a regional contender, let alone world class.

I said all this to say....dereck king won two league titles back to back and he was touted as the up and coming starlet coach but given the chance to coach the national men’s senior team and he was left wanting, Jamal shabbaz won several titles with calidonia AIA and was hailed as the next don leo but got his tail handed to him by chivas, saprissa and Houston dynamo. the truth is and would always be that our little domestic play leagues is not a good enough gauge to measure success. we need to step out of this realm to accurately assess our success,

and until angus leaves these shores and test his knowledge against formidable opponents in the real world to see how his skill set matches up, i won’t take a chance on him just yet because from here on in every game we play is essential,  and we need to win them all if we are ever to see any competitive games in the next two years. what we need is another Leo benhakker and nothing else would do as of right now, and it would be irresponsible to take another chance on an unproven coach especially seeing that the huge mess we’re in ATM.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 11:50:43 AM by pull stones »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 22, 2019, 12:22:40 PM »

i remember angus about 8 yrs ago coaching an under 23 team that got demolished by mexico with the same defenders we have today who’s making the same dotish mistakes they made when they were amateurs (cyrus, bateau, williams), the appropriate question would be, what has angus eve done to fix his situation from eight yrs ago.

I remember Kerry baptiste being top scorer two years in a row for joe public and trent noel winning player of the year twice in succession when there was an outcry by the local fraternity concerning Kerry being ignored for foreign based players, they pressured the coach so much that he left the job and latapy came in and brought with him kerry and trent noel, Kerry scored only one goal in his many appearances and trent didn’t score a single goal.

a few years later the same thing happened this time it was willis plaza’s turn and how he was being ignored by the german coach in spite of his tremendous goal tally, he was here to save the national team and he’s being over looked for kenwin the boo boy. then Hudson Charles came in and right away put plaza on the team, not only did the lad under perform but he probably had maybe two competitive goals to his name, i think one was vs anguilla on a water logged pitch.

then again another savior arose to rescue trinidad and tobago senior team, this time it was Nathan lewis of jabloteh. the jablo coach cuss steven hart, dereck king and babba charles stink accusing them of bias against their starlet who was scoring goals like he found them on the side of the road, eventually hart relented and brought lewis on the team and it’s been 4 years now and he’s yet to sore in a competitive match.

you see this is the problem i have with TT football, we put the cart before the horse in that regard and delude ourselves into thinking that our standard of football is somehow just as good as anywhere else. I remember as a boy growing up playing in the savannah hearing the older fellers saying that we play a brazilian style of football in trinidad, poor me i’m a lad not knowing shite about football nor what’s taking place in the world of football so i ran with it.

then the world cup in argentina came up and I was left wondering why we weren’t there, being just as good as brazil we should be there, and it was only when I went to england that I learned that we were a rubbish team and couldn’t even beat costa rica, but listening to those men i would swear that we were tops in the world, and still, that mentality still pervade our society today. the truth is that we’re no where closer to a class team, and ask me why? because we don’t have the infrastructure nor did we put in the work necessary to even make us a regional contender, let alone world class.

I said all this to say....dereck king won two league titles back to back and he was touted as the up and coming starlet coach but given the chance to coach the national men’s senior team and he was left wanting, Jamal shabbaz won several titles with calidonia AIA and was hailed as the next don leo but got his tail handed to him by chivas, saprissa and Houston dynamo. the truth is and would always be that our little domestic play leagues is not a good enough gauge to measure success. we need to step out of this realm to accurately assess our success,

and until angus leaves these shores and test his knowledge against formidable opponents in the real world to see how his skill set matches up, i won’t take a chance on him just yet because from here on in every game we play is essential,  and we need to win them all if we are ever to see any competitive games in the next two years. what we need is another Leo benhakker and nothing else would do as of right now, and it would be irresponsible to take another chance on an unproven coach especially seeing that the huge mess we’re in ATM.

I will say it again his SSFL record should count for something, undefeated 2 seasons running, organized solid team building, again SSFL quality is overblown, but given our predicament and a firm belief that should the admin change we should wipe the slate and build from the bottom up, we gave a EUFA license holder with supposed exposure to European at that a high level that apparently learned nutten a chance, if we can only afford local, lets go with one that has ok win record, Shabazz got chance after chance Corneal and the list goes on and on. nobody is sayin d man is ah world beater he just have enough evidence out there to be deserving of an opportunity and no I don't consider him to be OJT at the point lacking International pedigree yeah definately but not OJT
I pity the fool....

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: November 22, 2019, 07:25:07 PM »

I will say it again his SSFL record should count for something, undefeated 2 seasons running, organized solid team building, again SSFL quality is overblown, but given our predicament and a firm belief that should the admin change we should wipe the slate and build from the bottom up, we gave a EUFA license holder with supposed exposure to European at that a high level that apparently learned nutten a chance, if we can only afford local, lets go with one that has ok win record, Shabazz got chance after chance Corneal and the list goes on and on. nobody is sayin d man is ah world beater he just have enough evidence out there to be deserving of an opportunity and no I don't consider him to be OJT at the point lacking International pedigree yeah definately but not OJT
I’m not against giving angus the job but let him start with the under 20 and see if the results remain the same, no more fly by night decisions unless it’s a top coach like roberto de mateo, criss houton or miguel herrera. as i said there’s no time waste from here on in we have to win every single game, that’s the gift that dennis left us with, the creep couldn’t even beat martinique or draw with honduras at home.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hart demands his TT$5m from TTFA
« Reply #791 on: April 29, 2020, 08:12:06 PM »
Hart demands his TT$5m from TTFA
By Derek Achong (T&T Guardian)

Two weeks after former national player Russell Latapy demanded from the T&TFA his US$6 million owed to him since 2009, another former national football coach Stephen Hart has demanded that the T&T Football Association (TTFA) pay him the US$742,444 (TT$5 million) in unpaid salary and benefits from his three-year stint in charge of the senior men's team by May 9.

In a letter sent to TTFA general secretary Ramesh Ramdhan on Monday, Hart's lawyer Keith Scotland indicated that his client intends to levy against the cash-strapped association in the event that it fails to meet the deadline.

The letter comes ousted TTFA executive members including former president William Wallace are currently engaged in proceedings before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over FIFA's decision to remove them from office and appoint a Normalisation Committee chaired by businessman Robert Hadad.

The former executive is also still currently engaged in legal discussions with the association's bank First Citizens Bank over control of its accounts.

In his lawsuit brought against the TTFA, Hart only sought to recoup his salary and benefits under his contracts and not additional damages for the TTFA's conduct in his case.

According to his case statement, Hart was not paid his US$20,000 per month salary from September to October 2015 and from September to November 2016.

Hart, who currently coaches Halifax Wanderers in Canada, also claimed for the US$25,000 per month salary, he would have earned between December 2016 and December 2018, if his contract was not terminated in November 2016.

His lawyers contended that he was entitled to the payment as he was wrongfully terminated without reasons being given.

In addition to the US$10,000 bonus for leading the team to the hexagonal stage of Concacaf World Cup qualification, Hart also claimed for US$7,444 in travel, food, and baggage expenses he incurred between 2015 and 2016.

In November, High Court Judge Eleanor Donaldson-Honeywell granted Hart a default judgement against the TTFA after it failed to register a defence to his claim.

The outcome came two months after former TTFA technical director Kendal Walkes won his US$783,000 over being wrongfully dismissed by former TTFA president David John-Williams and the association's executive in March 2016.

Similar lawsuits, albeit for lesser compensation, have been also won by the association's former technical staff over the past few years. The association has also faced litigation from suppliers over unpaid bills for goods and services previously provided.

Hart, a former national player, was head coach of the Canadian national team before taking over the local job in June 2013. He led the team in two relatively successful Gold Cup campaigns in 2013 and 2015, where the team made it to the knock out stage on both occasions.

Hart was eventually sacked after T&T was eliminated from the final round of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup in Russia. At the time his record was 16 wins, 12 draws and 15 losses in 43 matches.

RELATED NEWS

Former TTFA coach Stephen Hart demands unpaid salaries by May.
By Jada Loutoo (Newsday).

FORMER men’s national team coach Stephen Hart is demanding the $5 million owed to him for unpaid salaries and bonuses and has given the TT Football Association until May 9 to pay him.

Hart has also warned the TTFA’s general secretary, Ramesh Ramdhan, if he fails to pay or respond to his letter for payment, he will approach the high court for an order to levy on him or the company to recover the $5 million.

The ultimatum was given by Hart ‘s attorney Keith Scotland in a letter to Ramdhan on Monday.

Scotland reminded the TTFA’s general secretary of the default judgment in November 2019, in which Justice Eleanor Donaldson-Honeywell ordered the TTFA to pay to Hart US$742,444 for wrongful dismissal, unpaid salaries and bonus for various periods in 2015 and 2016.

Scotland demanded payment from the TTFA by May 9, telling Ramdhan failure to do so will result in Hart initiating further legal action to compel the local football body to do so.

“If you fail to respond to this letter by the date indicated, the undersigned will be making an application to the High Court for enforcement of the judgment against your company and/or the undersigned will be seeking to levy against you or your company to recover sums owed and due,” Scotland said.

Hart, who lives in Nova Scotia, Canada, filed the action in 2017, and received a judgment in default on November 19, 2019, after the TTFA failed to defend the lawsuit.

The amount the TTFA was ordered to pay was only what Hart said was owed to him, and did not include an award of damages, because he opted not to seek additional compensation. The former Soca Warriors coach was represented by attorneys Keith Scotland, Rhea Sookhai, and Sheriza Khan.

According to Hart’s case, his contract began on July 1, 2015, and a base compensation package of US$200,000 was agreed to until December 31, and US$25,000 from January 1, 2016, to December 31, 2018. He also claimed a hexagonal bonus of US$10,000, baggage and food expenses for 2015 in the amount of US$444, travel expenses for 2015-2016 for family visits and scouting of US$7,000, his salary from December 2016-December 2018 at US$25,000 per month, and $5,000 for short payment for July-August.

Hart’s lawsuit said the TTFA failed to pay him his base salary for September-October 2015 and was in breach of contract. The TTFA also short-paid him $5,000 from July-August 2015. He received none of his bonuses or other benefits, including traveling.

The lawsuit also said in November 2016, the TTFA gave Hart a one-month termination notice followed by a letter by former TTFA president David John-Williams, who said there was “just cause for termination,” and fired the coach with immediate effect. The next month, John-Williams wrote to Hart again, claiming the coach had agreed to part ways and on that assumption, the TTFA had chosen not to issue a termination letter.

Hart insisted under no circumstances was he in agreement. That month, he wrote to then TTFA’s general secretary Justin Latapy-George asking about the cancellation of his cellphone account, where and when to return his car, cancellation of cable and internet at the apartment he was staying in, and the time and date to vacate the apartment and give up the keys.

On December 19, 2016, Latapy-George, four days after he first responded to Hart, said the TTFA was incurring additional expenses as a result of Hart’s late departure from the apartment.

In January 2017, Hart’s attorneys wrote to the TTFA asking for a date to leave the apartment. There was no response. Hart’s attorneys also sent a pre-action protocol letter. The TTFA asked for more time to respond to it. There has been no response.

“Since the wrongful termination of his employment the claimant has failed to attain employment elsewhere,” the lawsuit said.

John-Williams was ousted as president of the football body at the executive’s elections in November 2019, by William Wallace and his team.

Subsequently, Wallace and his executive were removed on March 17 by FIFA who in turn set up a normalisation committee due to mounting debts accumulated by the TTFA.

This has been appealed by Wallace to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Businessman Robert Hadad has been appointed by FIFA as chairman of the TTFA normalisation committee.

There is now a brewing legal battle between Wallace’s executive and the committee over the signatories to the TTFA’s bank accounts with the former declaring they were the sole signatories.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 08:36:51 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 11, 2020, 09:44:10 AM »
WATCH: Stephen Hart of HFX Wanderers FC, considered by many to be the wisest manager in the Canadian Premier League, has a few words of advice to future managers, while emphasizing the importance of a strong environment in shaping the next generation of footballers in Canada.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0XrTFC_mYYs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0XrTFC_mYYs</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 18, 2020, 07:07:21 AM »
Enforcement Time: Stephen Hart’s legal team ramps up litigation proceedings against TTFA
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

ATTORNEY Keith Scotland, representing former Trinidad and Tobago senior men’s football team coach Stephen Hart, is moving to collect on a US$742,444 judgment, as ordered by Justice Eleanor Donaldson-Honeywell in the High Court last November, against the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA).

With its bank account virtually emptied by a garnishee order on behalf of another creditor, former technical director Kendall Walkes, the TTFA has only one tangible asset, the FIFA-built Home of Football (HOF).

“We did not want to embarrass anybody,” said Scotland, adding, “but we have to do what we have to do.” Scotland had written to the TTFA late last month stating that the payment of outstanding debt be made no later than May 9 or, in default, legal action would be filed to enforce the judgment.

With no response of its intent by the TTFA, Hart’s legal team is moving forward with a ‘letter before execution’ as its next course to levy on the debt owed. “We are awaiting when we could approach the registry, so we can do our enforcement of our judgment,” Scotland informed the Trinidad Express.

Scotland expressed his disappointment over the TTFA’s lack of urgency in its response in the matter, given there is already a court judgment against them (the TTFA). “We have been very, very restrained,” Scotland noted. “But my client has instructed me now, that the time has come, to enforce the judgment and we are now in the process of doing that.”

Hart has not pursued damages against his former employers, but only outstanding monies owed. “Coach Hart has been very reasonable with the TTFA,” reiterated Scotland.

Scotland indicated that he would not be drawn into the current impasse involving the ousted William Wallace-led TTFA executive and FIFA— world football’s governing body, which named a Normalisation Committee, headed by Robert Hadad, to take charge of local football.

“I am dealing with the TTFA. When we write, we write to the official members,” said Scotland. “I am not getting into whatever shenanigans and imbroglio that has gripped the TTFA,” he added.

The bottom line, Scotland insists, is that “monies are outstanding and they need to be paid.”

Arguably the most successful coach in T&T football’s recent history, Hart led the Soca Warriors to successive CONCACAF Gold Cup quarter-final appearances in 2013 and 2015, and also the six-team ‘Hex’, which is the final stage of qualifying in the CONCACAF Zone, for the 2018 World Cup.

Hart’s contract was due to end in December 2018, but he was terminated as head coach two years earlier.

“I just want them to pay my client his just due and that is reasonable,” Scotland stated, adding, “He coached and he was reasonably successful. They unceremoniously, for whatever reason, dismissed him. Well, when you do that, there are consequences, and we have a judgment.”

In his claim, Hart was seeking US$742,000 in compensation representing salaries, bonuses, Hexagonal (World Cup qualifying) bonus and travel expenses. The TTFA had failed to pay Hart his base salary, for the period September to October 2015, of US$20,000 per month, and September to November 2016, of US$25,000 monthly, in accordance with clause three stated in his contract.

The TTFA had also given Hart a short payment of $5,000 for the period July to August 2015. As was stipulated in his contract, Hart also sought payment of salary from December 2016 to December 2018, at a rate of US$25,000 per month.

Hart was also entitled to bonuses, one of which was an additional remuneration of US$10,000, on condition that the national team placed in the Hexagonal tournament.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 18, 2020, 11:06:20 PM »

thanks for saying what you said you have spoken like a typical trinidadian, no ideas no solutions no collective bargaining and nothing that spells progressive and forward thinking, and this is typically indicative of all the trinis who held power in every spare of this nation. they came in to our lives with nothing but an inflated ego and a hungry belly and by the time they left things were worst off than they found it.

MG. did you even follow this thing closely where lok loy and hartford was banging on DJW for his lack of transparency and at one point brought a vote of no confidence urging him to resign? lok loy then locked horns with dennis lawrence calling for his resignation claiming that he wasn’t the right man for the job based on a string of poor performances, and i want to believe it was even before the gold cup where lawrence still had my support, causing dennis to threaten lok loy with a pre action protocol if an apology was not in order.

my good friend, timkee hartford and lok loy is not going to sit back and allow any old goat to coach our team going forward, even if they have to take out a loan to make it happen, and i think you could take that to the bank and cash it. they probably already have a coach picked out and waiting to hit the ground running in case they beat DJW come sunday. these are businessmen you talking bout mate, not some power hungry autocratic federation president with a head strong country boy come to town inflated ego and void of ideas.

I will say no more on the subject so you can have your say, i’ll just wait for the next few weeks GW to sought things out on its own. me thinks interesting times are on its way.

:-\ Bounced at the bank . Thank God or the devil many armchair analyst aren't typical Trinidadians.  Now, if we can get past this covid suffering, everything else will be smooth.  ::)

add: we even get ah no nonsense white fella as suggested, but he tun out to be a typical Trini. 
'what ah do wrong again'
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 11:19:23 PM by maxg »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #795 on: May 19, 2020, 06:59:19 AM »
Hart's lawyer to change position on TTFA.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

A decision by the chairman of the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee, Robert Hadad, to reach out on Monday to Attorney Keith Scotland, who is representing former national football coach Stephen Hart, to deal with monies owed to his client, is set to alter a position to have the T&T Football Association (TTFA) levied on.

On Monday Scotland said they were heartened by the fact that someone from the Normalisation Committee has finally reached out to them and opened communication after Hart had been ignored by the embattled football association under David John-Williams for four years, although judgement was given in his favour, last year.

Justice Eleanor Donaldson-Honeywell, in the High Court last November, ruled against the TTFA, to pay Hart the sum of US$742,444 (an estimated TT$5 million) which represents monies for unpaid wages, bonuses etc, to Hart for his wrongful dismissal back in 2016.

The TTFA was given a deadline date of May 9 to pay, but there was no communication to Hart's lawyer, as the William Wallace-led administration was replaced by a normalisation committee of Hadad, a director of the HADCO Group of Companies, retired banker Nigel Romano, and attorney Judy Daniel, who is the deputy chairman. Two other persons are set to be appointed soon by the CONCACAF and FIFA.

Upon recognition that the accounts of the TTFA had been liquidated in an almost similar legal matter by then technical director Kendall Walkes in February and his legal team, Scotland had gotten fed up of the lack of communication by the TTFA to resolve the matter. He said they were considering levying on the "Home of Football" in Balmain, Couva to receive what was owed to his client.

“Remember this is a judgement. It is unfortunate that it took five years, where you dismissed a national coach by not honouring the obligations of his contract. I am heartened that someone from the normalisation committee has reached out, and because of this reaching out, we may amend our position,” said Scotland.

He did not say exactly what they were going to do, saying they had a plan of how they were going to proceed and that his next step will be to follow protocol by making contact with Hart who is based in Canada for guidance on how to proceed. Scotland said, "We are willing to see what proposals are made by the normalisation committee and have discussions.” 

Meanwhile, Hart told Guardian Media Sports on Monday, that it all depends on the TTFA.

“Hadad reached out to me recently and I told him that I prefer he talk to my lawyer so I guess he has. My lawyer has not gotten on to me as yet. For me, it's basically what the TTFA comes up with. Let's just hope that things work out and football can get back on track.”

Upon the ruling in November, which was soon before the hotly-contested TTFA elections at the "Home of Football", only Wallace, Hart said, had reached out to him to try and settle the debt. Coincidentally it was part of a whopping $50 million debt which had crippled the football association and basically led to the appointment of the normalisation committee by the sport's governing body.

Hart has been commended for stabilising the country's football during his tenure from 2013-2016, at which time he guided the Soca Warriors to the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Gold Cup, which included a 4-4 tie with football giant Mexico.

He also took the national team to the final qualifying HEX stage of the World Cup Qualifiers before being replaced by Dennis Lawrence, a former national player. 

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 19, 2020, 09:13:17 AM »
 :) Looming inevitability has a way of harnessing action. Bullet dodged.   

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 19, 2020, 12:23:12 PM »
:) Looming inevitability has a way of harnessing action. Bullet dodged.   
Of Course. Cause there is no money. Free residency at HoF for Wanderers training camp, and they pay him, won’t cut it. No football, even less travel. So now phone call done and pot off the stove. All the back burners occupied.
I actually wanted him to get some funds with the ‘some’ talk and promises. The parang good, but is not christmas yet.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:36:37 PM by maxg »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stephen Hart all smiles as HFX Wanderers return to training
« Reply #798 on: June 03, 2020, 07:56:26 PM »
Stephen Hart all smiles as HFX Wanderers return to training: ‘I’m just excited we’re back outside’
By Charlie O'Connor-Clarke (canpl.ca)

Even over the phone, Stephen Hart’s good mood after returning to training is infectious.

The HFX Wanderers FC coach spoke to CanPL.ca after his team returned to training on Monday morning, and it’s clear that things are, slowly, looking up in Nova Scotia.

“It was very nice to get back out there. It took a fair bit of planning because we can only work with four players at a time, so it was quite a long time on the pitch,” Hart said. “But everybody’s just happy to be back out there and feeling the ball again, getting used to the turf and all of that.”

Two of the CPL’s clubs, with Pacific FC joining HFX on Monday, are now back out on the pitch after the lengthy shutdown due to COVID-19.

Of course, it’s not necessarily the typical start to a return to training (and not just because they already did that, three months ago). Hart estimates that seven players from the Wanderers squad will have to self-quarantine upon arriving in Halifax before they can train, and that two players and one member of the coaching staff abroad are still affected by travel restrictions.

Still, getting back on the pitch at all is a relief. Although the club had managed to dip into some team-based tactical training in their initial pre-season, Hart explained that it’s back to square one now. They spent most of day one assessing the players’ fitness levels, to see if all those Zoom workouts really did work.

From a fitness point of view, Hart is impressed with the shape his players have maintained through the last few months of shutdown.

“I think the at-home workouts helped a lot,” he said. “We haven’t done the weight of players or anything as of yet, but just from my eye everybody looks in decent shape. Nobody’s overweight or anything — except the coaching staff.”

Jokes aside, the Wanderers are looking pretty good, according to Hart. Of course, being unable to do much on the ball or make proper passes for weeks might have taken some of the edge off of the players’ sharpness and agility.

“It’s just the little difference in how they move,” Hart admitted. “The little movement exercises that we were doing was a little bit different, but overall I think we’re at a good level.”

Again, these early days of training won’t be ideal, with large-scale team workouts still restricted until the club gets the green light. It’s also a little strange for the HFX players and staff to prepare for matches, when they’re not quite sure when exactly those might happen.

“There’s a plan in place as to how we’ll gradually move towards that,” Hart explained about returning to full-team workouts. “I think right now for all of us it’s just to see how this first return to training segment goes, and all the precautions, all the testing that goes with it. Then gradually we take things as they come.”

He added: “Right now I’m just like the players, I’m just excited we’re back outside and we’re training. It gives us hope that something will be done pretty soon in terms of getting games.”

As one might expect, the Halifax training ground was a place of major optimism on Monday morning as the Wanderers ease their way back into the locker room.

“It was nice just to see everyone,” Hart said. “You can’t interact, but it’s nice to see everyone’s smiling faces — well, they couldn’t see that we’re smiling because we’re masked up, but smiling faces all around. A little banter going back and forth. Which is what team sport is about.”

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 12, 2020, 04:07:06 PM »
So where the case at ?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hart reflects on big Halifax Wanderers transformation
« Reply #800 on: September 15, 2020, 10:09:28 AM »
Hart reflects on big Halifax Wanderers transformation
By John Jacques (Northern Tribune)

When the Halifax Wanderers finished dead last in the Canadian Premier League fall campaign last year, head coach Stephen Hart found himself in the midst of the league’s biggest rebuild: he parted ways with no less than sixteen players, with the club promising concerned fans that a higher pedigree of talent would bring better results to the Wanderers come 2020.

With the east coast side now just one match away from securing a first-ever CPL Final berth, that’s a promise that has rung true all throughout The Island Games: the reformed Wanderers feature the least goals conceded of the remaining clubs (nine from just as many games), the second best attacking record (fifteen goals), and a robust mix of midfielders who have proven more than capable of both creating great chances from open play and stiffling opportunities for their opponents.

In a recent OneSoccer segment, the 60-year-old head coach revealed that he had hoped to retain some of the sixteen players released by the club, though it’s fair to say that he did a great job in findings the right types of players to bring in as their replacements:

While Hart didn’t name anyone on specific, it’s easy to imagine that he could be referring to the likes of Matthew Arnone, who made 24 appearances for the Wanderers last season but ultimately signed with York9 FC to move closer to home, and Andre Bona (who clocked in some 2,547 minutes last year before ultimately ending up without a club come 2020).

Still, a centre-back pairing of Peter Schaale and Haitian international Jems Geffrard has proven to be one of the standout duos of the league, with the iron men playing every single possible minute in a defense that has also brought forth dangerous runs from Chrisnovic N’sa (who it’s easy to forget is just 21) and solid performances from both veteran Alex De Carolis and youngster Mateo Restrepo on the left side.

While Akeem Garcia had always impressed up top for the Halifax Wanderers, this year sees the Trinidad and Tobago international poised to win the golden boot with some wonderful runs and finishes working in tandem with increased midfield service from the likes of Brazilian standout Joao Morelli, Jamaican international Alex Marshall, and team captain Andre Rampersad, who have all linked up well with the striker.

The versatility brought in by the likes of former Montreal Impact players like Louis Beland-Goyette and Daniel Kinumbe have seen the Wanderers through a successful campaign, with Alessandro Riggi returning from a long-term injury to provide another creative outlet on the flank, too.

While Hart lamented the demise of the Ottawa Fury, he says that an exodus of Fury players to the CPL combined with the quick rebirth of professional football in Ottawa brought many Canadian eyes from the USL to the domestic league, with an implication that this may have been a factor in Riggi’s capture.

Last year, the Wanderers gaffer revealed that he had tried to bring in big-name Trinidad and Tobago signing Kenwyne Jones for the club’s inaugural campaign, though Garcia has proven to be a fantastic alternative to the former Sunderland man. At just 24 years of age, there’s a lot of growth that can still take place for Akeem, who has six goals in nine appearances for the side this year.

Hart also made multiple smart acquisitions involving former U-SPORTS athletes, with top draft pick Cory Bent, former UPEI Panthers man Ibrahima Sanoh, and former Montreal Carabins standouts Omar Kreim and Aboubacar Sissoko all impressing throughout the tournament. To former Cape Breton man Peter Schaale, their positive input at the Island Games came as no surprise:

With Christian Oxner providing big saves between the sticks for Hart (which is something he did last year, and likely why he the local Haligonian was the first player re-signed by the club gaffer this year), it’s fair to say that the Halifax Wanderers have been the most improved Canadian Premier League side of 2020.

While the shortlist for the 2020 CPL Awards have yet to be revealed (there’s still two matchdays left, after all), it’s clear that Stephen Hart ought to be in the running for coach of the year: the former Canada national team gaffer has rebuilt a Wanderers side and taken them straight from the bottom to the top, instilling a club culture and a sense of unity that one spots immediately on the pitch.

The club will also be bolstered by the delayed arrival of Eriks Santos next year, who was unable to attend The Island Games this year due to the pandemic situation. With a strong core and plenty of quality depth to build from, it’ll be exciting to see how the Wanderers continue to grow – though right now the squad will be solely focused on securing its first-ever potential appearance in the CPL Final. Winning that would also grant the squad a spot against MLS competition in the Canadian Championship final and a place in the 2021 Concacaf League, too.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #801 on: September 17, 2020, 03:14:29 PM »
Hart steers HFX Wanderers to CPL final.
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

Former T&T coach Stephen Hart has led the HFX Wanderers FC from a last-place finish in the Canadian Premier Soccer League in 2019 to the championship match of the 2020 season dubbed "The Island Games" at the University of Prince Edwards Island Artificial Field, Charlottetown, Canada against Forge FC.

In the grand finale on Saturday, Hart will look to two of his countrymen to lead the way on the field of play with second-year player Akeem Garcia, the league's top scorer with six goals while midfielder Andre Rampersad is co-captain.

On Tuesday last, HFX Wanderers FC, having earlier in the day cemented a spot in the final were humiliated 5-0 by Pacific FC with

Marco Bustos netting two goals and adding two assists for the Tridents

Despite being The Island Games’ lone dead-rubber tilt, Tuesday’s contest ended Pacific’s much-improved 2020 season on an exceptionally high note – one coach Pa-Modou Kah will gladly build upon for the 2021 CPL campaign.

While the margin of defeat for the high-flying Wanderers may have come as a surprise to many, coach Stephen Hart was not too worried having made nine changes to the starting line-up that beat Calvary FC on Sunday, inclusive of T&T's Akeem Garcia, the league's top scorer with six goals and his country and club captain Andre Rampersad.

Following the drubbing, former T&T and Canada men's national team coach Hart was asked if his side might’ve struggled out of the gate to focus on the match at hand, perhaps thinking a little too far ahead to Saturday’s final.

“I didn’t think so, but after the first half, you’d probably have to say, well, yeah,” Hart admitted.

“It’s kind of one of those situations where you don’t know till after the game. Everybody warmed up well, everybody seemed to be ready for it, but we were second best to nearly everything in the first half.

We were too far away from players in our columns, couldn’t get a foot in, and then when we got the ball we made too many mistakes in and around the defending third of the field.”

The Wanderers are now in a fascinating situation, perhaps feeling both pride and shame simultaneously having qualified for a championship final and lost 5-0 on the same day.

What do they take away from this, then? Do they burn the tapes, and try to forget about it? Or does getting beaten that badly add fuel to the fire, helping them come out angry and motivated in the final against Forge?

Hart told reporters that he’d thought about that with his staff, including at halftime while the score was 4-0. Ultimately, he said, the message for the second 45 was to try and revert to their normal mindset and reclaim whatever momentum they could.

“The first half we made a lot of fundamental errors, and that is unacceptable at this level. Even with the changes in the lineup, it’s unacceptable,” Hart said.

“But if you look at the second-half performance, we were back to doing some of the things that we have done well and that have made us reach the final.

“I told the players that in the dressing room, it’s one of those things where you owe it to yourselves, and of course you owe it to the fans, to make a real go of the second half, and get back to the things that we stand for.”

The Wanderers were much better in the second half, making a few substitutions and trying to shake off the early catastrophe. They clawed back to 50 per cent possession, created a few chances, and spent more time in the Pacific end. They still weren’t rewarded, but the coach was heartened to see that they were capable of turning it back on.

At the end of the day, HFX is now heading into a final having rested their best players for a full week (with Forge forced to play most of their regulars on Tuesday). They’ve earned their way there, and Hart is fully confident they have as good a chance as Forge at winning the North Star Shield.

“We are a team that nobody expected to be here, and from what I understand, some of the pundits have already written us off,” Hart quipped. “It should be good.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #802 on: September 19, 2020, 08:29:28 PM »
Hart, Garcia nominated for season awards.
By Ian Prescott (Express).

Former Trinidad and Tobago national coach Stephen Hart and striker Akeem Garcia have been nominated for 2020 Canadian Premier League awards.

Halifax Wanderers coach Hart, who led T&T to two Concacaf Gold Cup quarter-finals between 2013 and 2016, is in line for the Coach of the Year award along with Bobby Smyrniotis (Forge FC) and Miguel Ferrer (Atletico Ottawa). The winners will be selected by a media panel.

Halifax Wanderers forward Garcia is nominated for the Player of the Year award along with midfielders Marco Bustos of Pacific FC and Kyle Bekker of Forge FC. Garcia is also favourite to win the Golden Boot.

Garcia had a strong first Canadian Premier League season in 2019 with a HFX Wanderers side that struggled at times over the course of the year. Garcia led the Wanderers scoring with seven goals from 24 appearances in league action, adding another one in the Canadian Championship, and was one of only six players brought back by head coach Hart for the club’s sophomore campaign.

Fast forward 11 months and the Trinidad and Tobago forward is on the verge of winning a CPL championship, the Golden Boot title, and has been nominated as the League’s Player of the Year after a standout campaign at The Island Games.

“When you’re playing, you have to always aim for the heights,” Garcia said on a CPL conference call on Friday.

Garcia looked a top prospect last season, but this year he’s taken his game to the next level that Hart challenged him to reach.

“This year, I’ve focused on one position,” Garcia revealed. “Coach has helped me in terms of positioning and how I can always be better at the position. So after training, even in training, I’ve got time to go home and look over things and see how I can be better.

“The players around me this year allows me to do that. You can see with the players we’ve brought in, they’ve all got the quality to make that final pass, especially João Morelli. He’s simple, but it’s his thinking that’s very good. With him and with the other players around, you’ve got the confidence to make a run, you have confidence to come, you have confidence to play.”

As Garcia mentioned, last season saw the striker tried out in a couple of different attacking positions. This year, the focus has been on doing what he does best. He’s thrived and developed his game as a result, becoming more and more accustomed to playing the striker role with the more minutes he gets.

“To be fair to Akeem, last season he played out of position in a number of games in order to help the team,” Hart said. “That’s just the nature of the player. He will do anything we ask of him and once we got back into this season, and we came into training camp, both of us sat down and we had a discussion.

“I told him what I was looking for from him and where he needs to improve his game, and he’s worked diligently on that. As a consequence, of course, compounded by the variety of service he can now get, from both inside the field and the wide positions, he’s done well.”

Garcia’s strong play last year saw him earn a recall into the Trinidad and Tobago national team set-up after an absence of four-and-a-half years, for his second and third international caps in a pair of substitute appearances in the Concacaf Nations League match against Honduras and a friendly against Venezuela in October last year.

Were the T&T staff already watching Garcia, or did Hart use his connections to draw attention to what the young forward was doing in Canada?

“I think it was a little bit of both,” Hart revealed. “Derek King is part of the staff down there now and he has a close tie to the club and he’s going to be keeping an eye on both Akeem and Rampy [Andre Rampersad]. So it’s a little bit of us communicating and saying, look this player is doing well. We share his qualities, we share his medical on how he’s doing, and then it’s up to them to select or not select.”

Garcia’s performance during The Island Games tournament should see him get another call soon, whenever international matches in the region do finally get back to happening. And whenever that call does come, Garcia is excited to accept it.

“We haven’t spoken any time as yet,” Garcia revealed when asked if T&T head coach Terry Fenwick had been in touch with him during the tournament. “But I know the eyes are looking back home in Trinidad. The games are showing and people are watching. It’s always a privilege and honour to play for your country.

“I think playing for your country is a big deal. It’s different. There’s a lot more pressure, but it’s just a privilege to play for your country and if happens, it’s a good thing.” —with reporting by Michael McColl.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 20, 2020, 12:29:14 AM »
https://canpl.ca/article/2020-cpl-final-by-the-numbers-forge-suffocates-hfx-to-win-2nd-championship

2020 CPL Final, By The Numbers: Forge suffocates HFX to win 2nd championship
2020-09-19

byCHARLIE O’CONNOR-CLARKE, DIGITAL CONTENT EDITOR (@CHARLIEJCLARKE)

Really, there’s only one set of numbers that mattered on Saturday: Forge FC 2, HFX Wanderers FC 0.

The Hamiltonians conquered the CPL for the second straight year, defeating the Maritimers comprehensively to retain the North Star Shield.

Still, it was a highly entertaining contest, with hard battles, individual quality, and a high level of intensity from both teams.

Although the score speaks to Forge’s dominance on the day, the Wanderers had their moments of pressure, and they certainly did not fold when playing from behind.

All that said, here are a few statistics that stood out from a fantastic grand finale at The Island Games.

11 attacking lineups
Incredibly, Forge managed to go the distance in PEI — 11 games in total — while using a different front three in every single starting lineup. Seriously, they didn’t repeat once.

On Saturday, Bobby Smyrniotis opted to go with Johnny Grant, Mo Babouli, and David Choinière, who all caused plenty of problems for the Wanderers’ backline. Smyrniotis said after the game that he’d hoped Babouli and Choinière could use their skill to operate in the spaces HFX typically leaves between their defenders and midfielders, and it seems that choice paid off.

100% duels won

Four players for Forge won every single duel they went into on Saturday. A total of seven Forge players won every aerial duel.

Of course, a few of those stats look a little less impressive when you see how many they actually encountered (it was just one for Triston Henry), but some of the numbers are remarkable.

Dominic Samuel, for example, playing away from his normal central position at right-back, won an unbelievable 10 duels, five of which were in the air. He also won four fouls, getting the better of opponents in every physical situation.

4 key passes
It was a heck of an afternoon for Mo Babouli. The Forge striker, who fought his way into the starting 11 at this tournament, put in an excellent 80-minute shift in the final. He made four key passes and earned two shots of his own, also providing the perfect second-phase cross to Alexander Achinioti-Jönsson for the goal that won Forge the game.

55.7% possession
HFX Wanderers like to play a certain way. That way does not typically involve having the ball a whole lot, or building up slowly.

Unfortunately for them, Forge knew that. They allowed their opponents to have the ball in certain phases, meaning that HFX had more than 50 per cent possession for the first time at The Island Games. As a result, they weren’t able to play the direct, fast-paced style of counter-attacking football that brought them success in previous games.

25.7 metres
Another huge part of HFX’s game is winning the ball high up the pitch with their press. They weren’t able to do that on Saturday either, as evidenced by their average possession start height of 25.7 metres.

Compared to Forge’s 38.6, that suggests that the Wanderers had to play out of the back a little more, and couldn’t pick off errant passes in the attacking half of the field.

Of course, Forge also doesn’t make many mistakes.

37 days
The Island Games are over. They lasted for 37 days, and now we’re left once again without CPL football.

What a tournament it was, though. Kyle Bekker said after the final that he’s likely to look back on this experience very fondly, and it’s hard not to agree with him.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 12:32:39 AM by maxg »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 21, 2020, 02:39:59 PM »
Here's the full media conference held with Stephen Hart on September 18, 2020, prior to the tournament final. It covers some nuggets not explored in the articles above.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5YEGd4G7mn4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5YEGd4G7mn4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #805 on: October 10, 2020, 09:42:21 AM »
Wanderers could make deep run at Island Games.
By: Charlie O’Connor-Clarke (T&T Express).

’Had no doubts’

The success of HFX Wanderers FC in the 2020 CPL season surprised a lot of people—including, to an extent, the team’s coach Stephen Hart.

However, for Trinidadian striker Akeem Garcia—one of three CPL Player of the Year nominees—the wins were there for the taking. As one of seven returning players from the inaugural squad, the Trinidadian saw first-hand the improvement in the 2020 team, and he was impressed from the start of training.

After winning the season’s golden boot award, Garcia is one of a few Wanderers still in Halifax, primarily because he hasn’t yet received approval to go home to Trinidad and Tobago. As many of his fellow CPLers are likely doing, he told CanPL.ca his current life is occupied by Netflix and going to the gym, and hoping that he can reunite with his family soon.

Garcia, who arrived at initial training a couple days late due to visa issues and then had to watch from the sidelines the first day or two while waiting for a medical examination, had a good feeling seeing the Wanderers’ newcomers.

“I was watching them train and I was like, ‘This is gonna be a good team, guys,’” Garcia told CanPL.ca. “It’s a young team and the talent was there. … For me I had no doubts we would’ve done well. During the tournament I really think we could’ve gone on and won it.”

While Garcia’s side wasn’t quite able to clear the final hurdle and beat Forge FC in the CPL Finals, they had plenty to smile about when leaving PEI. They scored plenty of goals, played some exciting football, and ultimately went farther in the tournament than all but one team.

And really, if you’re focused on building for the future, few things help speed up the process more than winning as a group. Garcia insisted that part of the reason HFX was able to attack so seamlessly—despite having no pre-season games to work out the kinks—was how much the players enjoyed each other’s company. In fact, the striker suggested that the players’ proximity to each other in Halifax helped bring them closer at a time when they couldn’t really go out to do anything else.

“We all live together in Halifax in the same building, so when they lessened the (Covid-19) restrictions and we started training in tens and stuff, guys started hanging out with each other in their groups,” Garcia recalled about the club’s early return to training in June.

“The group you were training with, guys would hang out with each other, visit each other’s apartment, watch a movie or something. Just start bonding because the guys that came into the team this year had a different goal, and the goal was to help the team be better.”

And so, being already well-accustomed to each other, the transition to bubble life in Charlottetown was an easy one for the Wanderers. Garcia mentioned some additional touches—a karaoke initiation party among the players, for instance, and the fact that the club surprised players with pictures of their families in the hotel—that ultimately translated into a team with top-notch chemistry.

The goals that Garcia, and his entourage of Alessandro Riggi, João Morelli and Alex Marshall (plus contributors such as Cory Bent and Omar Kreim), created looked impossible for a group so new to each other. And yet, they did it time after time.

“Everything was pretty sweet. For me I enjoyed the fun we had the most on gamedays, just getting to see everyone at breakfast and dinner,” Garcia said, adding that the squad’s familial mentality certainly improved their play on the pitch.

“No one was grudging when they were on the bench; even I was on the bench the first game, I was like whoever’s playing forward deserves it,” he said. “The whole team vibe was nice, no one was grudging. Everyone was supporting each other, so I love that. When you have teammates like that it makes you go out and give your all.”

All the while, though, he’s got the 2021 CPL season at the back of his mind and one eye on the Player of the Year award.

Video - Here's the full media conference held with Stephen Hart on September 18, 2020, prior to the tournament final. It covers some nuggets not explored in the articles above.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:47:02 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
HFX Wanderers FC boss Stephen Hart wins CPL Coach of the Year award
« Reply #806 on: November 26, 2020, 09:55:06 PM »
HFX Wanderers FC boss Stephen Hart wins CPL Coach of the Year award
By Charlie O'Connor-Clarke (canpl.ca)

No CPL team saw their stock rise in 2020 more than HFX Wanderers FC, whose magical run at The Island Games in PEI ended in a CPL Final appearance, just one year after finishing at the bottom of the league table.

In recognition of that incredible turnaround, Wanderers coach Stephen Hart was honoured on Thursday night with the CPL’s Coach of the Year award.

The veteran manager received the Owl trophy, designed by experienced carver Palaya Qiatsuq of Nunavut, putting a cap on a remarkable season for the Trinidadian coach.

Hart beat out fellow nominees Bobby Smyrniotis of Forge FC and Mista of Atlético Ottawa, both of whom he acknowledged as similarly worthy candidates for the award.

“In all honesty I’m flattered, I was nominated along with two fantastic coaches in Mista and Bobby, and to get coach of the year, especially with all Bobby’s achieved, is quite flattering, really,” Hart told CanPL.ca. “For me it’s always difficult to have an individual award within a team sport, and really credit should go to the players first, because they bring the product to the field. And then of course my staff, because I didn’t do this alone.

“A lot of people have to be thanked, but I am very very appreciative of it.”

Still, Hart oversaw an impressive rebuild over the past year in Halifax, putting together a squad with 15 of 22 players new for 2020, and he formed them into one of the most entertaining attacking squads in the CPL with their high-energy, counter-attacking style. The Wanderers ultimately finished in second place in both the first and second rounds of The Island Games, winning four games and losing just three (including a heartbreaking 2-0 defeat in the Final to Forge FC).

Hart is the most experienced manager in the CPL, having been in coaching for over 20 years. He was in charge of the Canadian men’s team from 2009 to 2012, after about a decade working for Canada Soccer as an assistant and as coach of various youth sides. He also managed the national team of his native Trinidad and Tobago from 2013 to 2016 before returning to Halifax — where he’d both played and coached for the Saint Mary’s University Huskies — to lead the Wanderers upon their founding as part of the CPL.

Wanderers forward Akeem Garcia, winner of the CPL’s 2020 Golden Boot, heaped praise on his coach, whom he credits with giving him an opportunity with his first professional contract outside of his native Trinidad. The two had been familiar with each other for years; Hart gave Garcia his first cap with the Trinidad and Tobago national team, after the two encountered each other as opponents at the 2013 Concacaf U-17 Championship (while Hart was working for Canada as an assistant).

“I’m very grateful for him. He’s just one of those coaches that you can talk to, he always makes sure you’re in the right space of mind to train. He always does everything possible to make you comfortable,” Garcia told CanPL.ca.

“Not only is he a coach, he’s also one of those people you look up to as a personal leader. I think all the guys on our team respect him. In terms of coaching he breaks it down for you, he gives you your opportunity to show yourself, express yourself. And he’s also one of those coaches where you know you can be free to show your talent.”

For his part, the Wanderers coach was impressed with the level of coaching across the Canadian Premier League in 2020, which saw two new head coaches take over clubs, and plenty of other sides improve on their inaugural seasons.

“I always knew that we had the quality in Canada,” Hart said. “Just like the young players, the coaches just needed that platform. All the coaches have been around, have been working very hard for Canada Soccer, and of course with the introduction of Ottawa, Mista — who played here for Toronto — has returned to contribute to the sport here. So I’m not surprised that the quality is very good.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #807 on: December 02, 2020, 12:54:43 AM »
Hart: A happy Wanderer, why I kept Garcia and ‘Ramps’, and how to turn around T&T football.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

In the maiden Canada Premier League (CPL) season in 2019, Trinidad and Tobago coach Stephen Hart finished bottom of the table with his HFX Wanderers outfit.

The turnaround in 2020 could not be much more profound, as the Wanderers roared to second place, with what the CPL media described as an ‘entertaining, high-energy, counter-attacking style’. Hart, in return, was adjudged the CPL’s ‘Coach of the Year’.

In short, 2020 was not too bad for the former ‘Soca Warriors’ coach. He took a few questions on the subject from Wired868.

Wired868: To what do you credit the turnaround in results this season?

Stephen Hart: Basically we made sweeping changes, replacing 15 players. Year two also had less restrictions on player acquisitions, so we knew exactly the player types positionally we were looking for.

W868: How many international players are CPL teams allowed? Can we expect to see a lot more Trinidad and Tobago players in the League?

Hart: It’s getting tougher [for Trinidad and Tobago players], because the League is receiving a lot of recognition worldwide. More players are interested and the competition for selection has been heightened, as four international players have to be under-24 (another three can be older).

I think the rules [for international players] are good, because it [incentivises] clubs to buy young, develop and sell on—rather than throw money behind a 33 year old player.

W868: And what are the qualities you saw in [Trinidadians] Akeem Garcia and Andre Rampersad which made you give them a second chance this season?

Hart: Both Akeem and ‘Ramp’ were brought back on merit and they were the right age for the [under-24] international category. Rampersad showed he is willing to learn, develop and has some outstanding leadership qualities. Compound that with his consistent performances, it was a no brainer.

It’s the same with Akeem. I think he has ability to learn to attack spaces as well as hold up the ball. We worked on his finishing. Again, he shows an ability to take in information and apply it consistently. Off the field, these two are model professionals, with their life style, diet, recovery etc.

(Garcia, a former Caribbean Cup champion at National Under-20 Team level, was the CPL’s 2020 Golden Boot.)

W868: Considering how HFX Wanderers flourished after showing you some patience and trust, do you feel given time you could have produced a similar recovery for the Soca Warriors?

(Hart took T&T to quarterfinal finishes at the 2013 and 2015 Gold Cup tournaments as well as into the Concacaf Hex for the 2018 World Cup qualifying series, but was sacked by then president David John-Williams after defeats in his first two games of the Hex—at home to Costa Rica and away to Honduras.)

Hart: Well, in 2013 the staff and myself had less than 14 days to enter the Gold Cup. Luckily we did fairly well and that allowed us some breathing room to build. I always feel football, and in particular international football, is about moments. Yes we slumped a bit but I always felt if I was given the free rein we could turn it around.

W868: What are your thoughts on Trinidad and Tobago football at present?

Hart: It is difficult to have thoughts on the direction of T&T football now, due to the [disruption caused by the] pandemic. However, unless you take care of all levels of youth football, the quality coming through will hinder the senior level.

Obviously, the other side of that is understanding how off the field structural organisation impacts what happens on the field. Far too often, the respect for one’s duties and roles and responsibilities is not there. Too often, administrators think they know more than the coaching staff and even the players.

Wired868: On behalf of our readers and your Trinidad and Tobago fans, congrats again and thank you for your time!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 02, 2020, 09:00:26 AM »
Congrats Hart :applause:

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: December 03, 2020, 03:18:50 PM »
So two of Hart's best players (Rampersad and Garcia) never played for Hart team when he was T&T coach?

And they were already pro players at the time.

1]; } ?>