April 25, 2024, 10:37:10 AM

Author Topic: Jamaica's VCB test positive for banned substance  (Read 4318 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamaica's VCB test positive for banned substance
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:14:48 AM »
Jamaican track star Veronica Campbell-Brown has been tested positive for a banned substance.

Campbell-Brown was tested positive at the Jamaica Invitational Meet on May 4.

Campbell-Brown's A sample revealed the presence of a diuretic, which acts as a masking agent and is banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency. 

Diuretics are used to cause the excess release fluids from the body primarily through urination, as a result, decreasing the ability to detect performance enhancement drugs.

She travelled to Montreal, Canada with her management team on Thursday ahead of the B sample results, which Friday confirmed the positive finding. 

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=45753
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:57:14 AM by royal »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica's VCB test positive for banned sunstance
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:00:28 AM »
Dun dun duuuuuunnnn!
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica's VCB test positive for banned substance
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 04:04:26 PM »
Then it is true what I saw on the ticker.  Oh boy!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Veronica Campbell-Brown ‘provisionally suspended

Two-time Olympic 200 metre champion Veronica Campbell-Brown has been provisionally suspended by the International Association of Athletics Federations after she tested positive for a banned diuretic at the May 4 Jamaica International Invitational World Challenge meet in Kingston.

The banned diuretic has been identified as Lasix which is a water pill that prevents a person’s body from absorbing too much salt, allowing the salt to instead be passed into the urine. Lasix also treats fluid retention in people with congestive heart failure, liver disease, or a kidney disorder such as nephrotic syndrome and is also used to treat high blood pressure.

The Jamaican’s A and B sample came back positive which means she has committed a doping violation. Campbell-Brown has 14 days to submit in writing to the Jamaica Amateur Athletic Association that she wants a hearing take place and according to the IAAF’s rules this must take place in 30 days. VCB could be given a warning or face a 2-year suspension from the sport.- See more at: http://www.jamaicaolympics.com/archives/6761#sthash.xTRyyy8R.dpuf
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 05:47:14 AM »

Even though this is not a performance enhancement drug, it can be damaging not only to Jamaica track program, but also track and field  overall even though she do not train in jamaica. There was an American article over the weekend trying to drag bolt in the mix, saying, " Usain bolt training partner veronica Campbell tested positive for drugs", even though she train with Tyson gay, he was not mention, but instead bolt who does not train with her was mentioned.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Campbell-Brown-drug-issue-overblown_14502037

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=45776

Hard work is the key to success

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 06:16:02 AM »
Does Kellie-Ann train in Tyson gay camp?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 06:19:30 AM »
Does Kellie-Ann train in Tyson gay camp?
I believe so.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
VCB does not train with Tyson and hasn't for several years. Tyson trains with Kelly Ann and others in Clermont, FL but VCB is not in that group which is trained by Lance Brauman

BORN TO DO IT

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:15:46 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20130618/lead/lead1.html
Thanks!!

Veronica declared - Embattled athlete made note of product she used ahead of test
Published: Tuesday | June 18, 2013
André Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

The Gleaner understands that Jamaican sprinting star Veronica Campbell-Brown had in fact declared using a product ahead of her positive drug test - a development, which could have a major impact on the outcome of the situation facing the 31-year-old

Importantly, however, it is also understood that there was no Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) in place, which means that she will still need to face a hearing.

The TUE is a pre-approved facility, which allows athletes to use certain banned substances for medical conditions.

Campbell-Brown's 'A' sample, taken after her performance at the May 4 Jamaica International Invitational at the National Stadium, returned an adverse analytical finding, reportedly triggered by the presence of a diuretic.

Up to last night, the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) had not received official notification of the findings of Campbell-Brown's 'B' sample, but the association's president, Dr Warren Blake, on Saturday did confirm that a Jamaican athlete had returned an adverse analytical finding from their 'A' sample at the meet.

Diuretics are banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) for their ability to mask the presence of performance-enhancing drugs.

Notified agency

However, sources close to the situation informed that the athlete had notified the doping control authorities that she had taken medication, with the subsequent tests turning up the presence of banned substances.

Unconfirmed reports also suggest that the label of the product used by the seven-time Olympic medallist does not reveal the banned properties.

Regardless, the athlete will still be held responsible for the presence of the substance, as the WADA Code clearly states in Article 2.1.1 that, "It is each athlete's personal duty to ensure that no prohibited substance enters his or her body. Athletes are responsible for any prohibited substance or its metabolites or markers found to be present in their bodily specimens. Accordingly, it is not necessary that intent, fault, negligence or knowing use on the athlete's part be demonstrated in order to establish an anti-doping violation under Article 2.1".

Additionally, The Gleaner understands that the JAAA and not the Jamaica Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel has been given the mandate by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) to oversee the expected disciplinary hearing.

Doping control for the Jamaica Invitational, which was an IAAF-certified World Challenge meet, was reportedly managed by an IAAF official and not the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission.

andre.lowe@gleanerjm.com
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 12:03:42 PM »
I think it's sad how many people seemingly could not wait for this to happen. On the track and field news forum many appeared to be delighted and used it as a prime oppurtunity to criticize Jamaican athletics. Although the scene was set for the perfect doping story on VCB I personally don't believe she is guilty and I'll continue to support her.

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »
No matter what jamaica do we are going to be accused of taking drugs, especially with our position in the sport and the size of the island, and i don't see that accusation stopping anytime soon, especial with the large amount of fast junior athletes we have coming up:
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Juniors-end-Trials-with-world-leading-performances_14513137

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2-n5owg7Wg

This is a accusation we have to live with as long as we keep giving America a hard time on the track, we just have to create a solid back bone and live with it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:37:14 AM by jahkingdom »

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 03:13:54 PM »

Even though this is not a performance enhancement drug, it can be damaging not only to Jamaica track program, but also track and field  overall even though she do not train in jamaica. There was an American article over the weekend trying to drag bolt in the mix, saying, " Usain bolt training partner veronica Campbell tested positive for drugs", even though she train with Tyson gay, he was not mention, but instead bolt who does not train with her was mentioned.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Campbell-Brown-drug-issue-overblown_14502037

Wrong information. VCB does not train with the Clermont, FL group which includes Tyson Gay and Kelly-Ann Baptiste.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 03:21:23 PM »
No matter what jamaica do we are going to be accused of taking drugs, especially with our position in the sport and the size of the island, and i don't see that accusation stopping anytime soon, especial with the large amount of fast junior athletes we have coming up:
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Juniors-end-Trials-with-world-leading-performances_14513137

This is a accusation we have to live with as long as we keep giving America a hard time on the track, we just have to create a solid back bone and live with it.

What does this have to do with America?
Who tested her and revealed the positive test?
Why blame America?  Who discovered and pursued Lance Armstrong and Marion Jones? Were they Americans? VCB may be proved innocent, but to blame America is just another example of we West Indians demonstrating our insecurity and self-esteem.  If she is guilty, she is guilty and have no one else to blame.

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 08:00:19 AM »

Wrong information. VCB does not train with the Clermont, FL group which includes Tyson Gay and Kelly-Ann Baptiste.

Not wrong, just phrase incorrectly, i should have use trained instead of train. let me ask you a question, have VCB ever trained with Usain Bolt in the same Club?.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyson_Gay

At a 2001 track event, Gay met trainer Lance Brauman and the college coach convinced him to attend Barton County Community College.[5][8] It was here that Gay first met Jamaican sprinter Veronica Campbell-Brown, and the two formed a close bond, becoming training partners.

My point is, what bolt have to do  with this?, and since bolt was quoted as her former training partner, why wasn't Tyson gay quoted as her training partner?.

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 08:23:44 AM »

What does this have to do with America?
Who tested her and revealed the positive test?
Why blame America?  Who discovered and pursued Lance Armstrong and Marion Jones? Were they Americans? VCB may be proved innocent, but to blame America is just another example of we West Indians demonstrating our insecurity and self-esteem.  If she is guilty, she is guilty and have no one else to blame.

Can you comprehend? :rotfl: :rotfl:, clearly i am talking overall, not just this incident, which is why i posted the links regarding up an coming athletes. do you follow track and field or you only follow Trinidad track and field?, where do you get your news?, do you use Twitter, Facebook, do you read ESPN, the New York Times, follow international track and field forums, have you ever watch a Jamaica track video on Youtube then read the American comments?... what the f*ck you mean by what America have to do with the the accusation of jamaica taking drugs?, allot of Americans were happy to get this news to say" I told you so", i am not saying VCB tested positive is America fault.. the IAAF have spoken today:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20130620/lead/lead1.html

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/A-minor-offence_14531867

do you know Car Lewis?

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/08/10/usain-bolt-blasts-carl-lewis-for-criticizing-jamaicas-doping-controls/

He also think bolt is taking drugs
http://www.newser.com/story/37297/carl-lewis-hints-at-bolt-drug-connection.html

it don't look like you follow track and field closely, Jamaica is been accuse of taking drugs by Americans on a daily bases, i also experience it at work. I am not saying VCB testing is America fault, what i am saying is, as long as we dominating America, we will always be accuse of taking drugs by Americans and with this minor incident it only makes it worst, no mater what the IAAF says. try to understand the situation before you start talking.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:53:20 AM by jahkingdom »

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
Jahkingdom: Listen man, you can't have it both ways.  You accuse America because Carl Lewis suggests Jamaicans are not tested frequently.  Is there any organized American organization that has accused Jamaicans?  You publish comments in the Gleaner and Observer.  I guess that you consider those sources impartial.  All I am saying is that it is inappropriate for you to paint America (which implies the country or organizations in the country) with a broad brush because one or two random persons speak out. Some American news reporters and numerous individual Americans have for years made veiled accusations against Lance Armstrong, Marion Jones, Maurice Greene, Carl Lewis.  I, for one, have never believed that Florence Griffith-Joyner was clean, but I have no proof, and I am very suspicious of whether all the East German records that still stand after 30 years are valid. But I will not defend neither accuse (though I am entitled to my suspicions) any athlete without knowing the facts, which you seem intent on doing before all the facts are revealed, while trashing an entire country because of a few statements by some. BTW, I don't live in Trinidad and Tobago and I follow Track and Field very closely. So much for your knowledge.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:46:27 AM by Storeboy »

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 01:28:32 PM »
You publish comments in the Gleaner and Observer
  ???

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Campbell Brown`s doping case is a `minor` offence says IAAF
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 09:44:43 AM »
Campbell Brown`s doping case is a `minor` offence says IAAF
Last Updated: Friday, June 21, 2013, 23:54

London: The world`s governing body for athletics says the doping case involving Jamaican sprint star Veronica Campbell-Brown appears to be a minor offence.

The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) says the case against Campbell-Brown appears to involve a "lesser" offence of unintentional use of a banned substance, reports CMC.

The reigning 200-metre world champion and three-time Olympic gold medallist was suspended by Jamaica`s national federation pending an investigation into a positive drug test.

"We can acknowledge that there is a case, but also take the opportunity to urge a sense of perspective," declared IAAF Deputy General Secretary Nick Davies.

"This seems, from evidence, to be a minor doping offence, according to our rules, so we want to remain realistic in our reaction, pending the conclusion of the case."

Campbell-Brown, the 2004 and 2008 Olympic champion in the 200 metres, tested positive for a banned diuretic at a meet on the island last month and was suspended from competition while a disciplinary panel reviews the case.

The sanction for a lesser offence can be a reduced penalty - a suspension of a few months to a year or a public warning - rather than a standard two-year ban.

"It is up to our member federations to enforce our rules," Davies told reporters.

"Although we would not normally comment on active cases (we) would simply remind media to keep (a) sense of perspective - all evidence seems to point to this offense being a lesser one."

Diuretics can be used to mask the use of banned substances.

Under the World Anti-Doping Code, some diuretics are classified as a "specified substance," a designation for drugs that might have been consumed without intent to enhance performance.

IANS

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 05:22:58 PM »
6 months for VCB seems the verdict:

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/03/veronica-campbell-brown-doping-ban/

Report: Campbell-Brown likely to receive 6-month doping ban
Nick Zaccardi; Jul 3, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT

Jamaican sprinter Veronica Campbell-Brown will avoid the standard two-year ban after testing positive for a reported banned diuretic in May, sources told the Times of London.

The report meshes well with previous remarks from the IAAF that Campbell-Brown’s case, which is ongoing, appears to involve a “lesser” offense, that she did not use the substance, reported to be Lasix (furosemide), to cheat, despite its ability to act as a masking agent for performance-enhancing drugs.

Campbell-Brown, a seven-time Olympic medalist and two-time 200-meter champion, is under a provisional suspension by Jamaica’s athletics federation, whose disciplinary panel is handling the case. A reduced ban from two years can vary. It can be as little as a public warning. She has not commented since her positive test was first reported June 14.

If Campbell-Brown receives a six-month suspension, it will draw comparisons to a ban given to fellow Jamaican Olympic champion sprinter Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce in 2009. Fraser-Pryce tested positive for Oxycodone, but her ban was reduced to six months after her explanation that she took the banned painkiller to treath a toothache.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:51:22 PM by Socapro »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

1]; } ?>