April 28, 2024, 10:48:43 PM

Author Topic: Eight reasons to get excited about T&T's G/Cup chances x Honduras  (Read 1915 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eight reasons for optimism about T&T’s Gold Cup chances
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

The Trinidad and Tobago national football team has not exactly set the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup alight just yet and, after a 2-2 draw with El Salvador and 2-0 loss to Haiti, the “Soca Warriors” face their toughest group opponent, Honduras, and possible elimination on Monday night.
But, hey, it’s not that bad, right?
If you have Trinidad and Tobago ties and hopped up and down when theWarriors stepped out at the Germany 2006 World Cup, you’re probably desperate for a reason for optimism right now. Wired868 can give you eight.
Eight: Honduras might get complacent
Honduras is already guaranteed a quarterfinal berth after successive wins against Haiti and El Salvador. So might “Los Catrachos” get complacent?
Honduras coach Luis Fernando Suarez, not to be confused with the Liverpool nibbler, already excused a clutch of first team players like midfielder Wilson Palacios and striker Carlo Costly, from the Gold Cup tournament as 2014 World Cup qualification remains the priority.
Perhaps Suarez would use the final group match to further blood some young talent that Trinidad and Tobago forward Kenwyne Jones can have for dinner.
Seven: Group C is in worse shape
The best two third-place teams from three Gold Cup groups will advance to the quarterfinal round and Cuba and Belize have zero points each in Group C.
Cuba and Belize, who were both subjected to some frightening hammerings already, face each other on Tuesday and a draw would mean that Trinidad and Tobago can sneak into the knockout stage with just one point and better goal difference. So much for CONCACAF’s high standards, eh?
If El Salvador loses by two goals more than the “Soca Warriors” tomorrow, then the Warriors will finish third in Group B by virtue of not being quite as bad as the Central American team. Then it will be left to Belize to hold Cuba to a tie.
Not that anyone is accusing Belize of possible match-fixing, of course.
Six: Hart’s birth paper
No homegrown Trinidad and Tobago coach has ever failed to return from the Gold Cup without a victory.

Read more...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:25:53 PM by Bakes »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Eight reasons to get excited about T&T's G/Cup chances x Honduras
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »
Keep the optimism candle burning. The only one responsible for our fate/destiny is ourselves. It matters little what squad the Honduras team comes with, we have to play the game like we have  not played before; we have to assert ourselves and we have to STOP TAKING ABOUT WINNING AND JUST WIN.
No more excuses not more sliding by no more ifs ands or buts ....... should haves or could haves or would haves ..... this is the game to just go do it period.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:34:43 PM »
I not sure this is optimism. This is sarcasm.

Four: Hart’s in-depth Honduran knowledge

TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee said he chose Stephen Hart as head coach because of his superior knowledge of Trinidad and Tobago’s CONCACAF opponents.

Well, Hart’s last game as Canada boss was an 8-1 loss to Honduras when Canada only needed a draw to get into the final 2014 World Cup qualifying round. So Tim Kee clearly foresaw the importance of this final group fixture.

Still, there might be a silver lining there. After scoring eight times in one game, Honduras surely showed the full range of its goalscoring repertoire to the Trinidad and Tobago coach, If forewarned is forearmed, then Hart is armed to the teeth for this decisive fixture.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 05:11:03 PM »
Lasana,

Yuh had meh laughing at some ah dem lines dey . . . ;D

Ah wasn't quite sure how to feel about those 8 goal Canada took under Hart's watch though!  ???

Too close for comfort, I guess.

Nice lil piece though
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 05:22:04 PM »
Thanks Cocorite ;D
Yeah, there was a touch of humour in there. But that was just to take the edge off... I want Trinidad and Tobago to do well!

Nashy

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
Thanks Cocorite ;D
Yeah, there was a touch of humour in there. But that was just to take the edge off... I want Trinidad and Tobago to do well!

So say so and keep the poison pen cap on man.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »
Thanks Cocorite ;D
I think you will have to scratch reason #5.

you had to be there to see carter on monday, and if you were then you weren't paying close attention, BC that boy have no kinda penetration skills and readable like an ABC reader.

hart says he opting for penetration next game, and with that said i don't think carter would be an option.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 06:37:51 PM »
Monday was a bad game for Carter. But I've seen him in many good ones including against really good opposition like Peru and Romania.
I'm not saying that he is a terrific footballer. But, in the right conditions, he can be really dangerous. Never from the start for me though because they will catch on to his limitations. Just in short bursts off the bench.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »
Monday was a bad game for Carter. But I've seen him in many good ones including against really good opposition like Peru and Romania.
I'm not saying that he is a terrific footballer. But, in the right conditions, he can be really dangerous. Never from the start for me though because they will catch on to his limitations. Just in short bursts off the bench.
Breds, i know yuhs ah sports writer and yuh might know more about the game than me, i'll give you that, but no body can't sell me carter until he reinvents himself, and @ 28 i think that it might be ah little too late for him.

i also saw the romania and especially the peru game where cater was running into traffic and losing possession constantly. bottom line, the kid is ah speed ball @ best, he has no smarts, no dribbling skills and no legs, just ah ton of speed.

as stephen hart said in the post match report, we will not win if we can't penetrate! i'm glad he figured that out, goes to show how many tapes he actually watched of these losers, bc i coulda told him that.

right now, from where i stand i would make two midfield change, boucard for theobald and roberts for daniel in the middle and bring in cornell glenn on the right wing. if carlos replaces hoyte on the wing, which he most likely will, then molino would play on the left side with daniel cyrus (that's providing jovin jones is out for the next game).

kevon cater is one of the players yuh bring along to fill in the numbers for the practice sessions and regional tourneys like degicel cup prelims, but not @ this level.

him jorslin, gay and leon are regional players @ best, and surplus to requirement @ this level. i'd rather see tinto in his stead.   sorry.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:16:08 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 09:21:36 PM »
Could someone tell me why Boucaud eh getting ah run? Was he not one of our better players in the last couple friendlies?

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 09:37:15 PM »
Just cool, I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the player really. He is a limited player. Sometimes a clever coach can make the most of the one thing a guy can do in the right match. That's all.

Offline Lifeisgood

• Jr. Warrior
  • Lively Up Yourself!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 08:13:03 AM »
Just cool, I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the player really. He is a limited player. Sometimes a clever coach can make the most of the one thing a guy can do in the right match. That's all.

Don't do it Lasana -- JC is just "on one" ... known for chainin up people with his "passionate" posts.   Just let him simmer and he will "boil down".

I do agree with his assessment to a degree, that Carter is not at the international level...may do well in ProLeague, but given the class that we have seen historically from our past wingers (L.Lewis, Wise, Nixon, Eve, Edwards etc) - Carter is not up to par.
Never be afraid ....
To turn over your uncertain Future
..to our certain God.

Love one another.  Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »
Ok boys and girls - This is de only thread lookin positive (at lease title wise) so leh we please remember that today is game day. Today we need a Herculean effort and dat begins with de fans. Players passin tru will expect it and we owe it to de team, to save all de boardroom conversations, for de board-room. Dis is de battle-field and yuh doh dis yuh soldiers while at battle. So Preacher - dey go need yuh! To de Team; You have to be more than you believe you can be today. Do this, and you will ensure yourself a victory!

Go TnT - Make Us Proud Warriors!
Warren N. Boucaud

1]; } ?>