April 25, 2024, 12:56:24 AM

Author Topic: Skin bleachers  (Read 10080 times)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Skin bleachers
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 12:03:53 PM »

Have you been to Haiti?! Or lets make it easier than that have you been to Tobago?!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: yuh studying he? steups. i still trying to figure out which ones are the men and who is the women in dem videos
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »

Have you been to Haiti?! Or lets make it easier than that have you been to Tobago?!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: yuh studying he? steups. i still trying to figure out which ones are the men and who is the women in dem videos

That's video is very worrying if yuh ask me and especially your observation, men looking like women!! :yellowcard:

And that man Jah Kingdom (lets hope he is not a Gazza) keeps inviting folks here to visit Jamaica!!
The biggest recent mistake our government could have made was buying Air Jamaica in my book!!
I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to visit Jamaica any time soon as I want to live a long life!!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:26:48 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2011, 12:42:04 PM »
Yes there are bleaching problems in some of those communities, but there is no epidemic, that's just the media at work. The average Jamaicans don't bleach. Go to any university in jamaica, walk on any street and you see that 89% of the population is still dark skin african. On the other hand Jamaica is still the most africanized caribbean island culturally. When you have communities that idolize people like kartel and dudus, you bound to have stuff like this happen.

What does that mean?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 12:44:38 PM »
Yes there are bleaching problems in some of those communities, but there is no epidemic, that's just the media at work. The average Jamaicans don't bleach. Go to any university in jamaica, walk on any street and you see that 89% of the population is still dark skin african. On the other hand Jamaica is still the most africanized caribbean island culturally. When you have communities that idolize people like kartel and dudus, you bound to have stuff like this happen.

What does that mean?

bees boy bees plenty bees
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »
i hadda go with meh concience on this one. i find allyuh real judgemental...instead of looking at how west indian society is increasingly influenced by the quickening of USA style western influence on our shores, allyuh want to criticize. yes skin bleaching is foolish, but dark skin is still a symbol of low status. how much of ya'll men here that criticizing married to a black woman, especially those living abroad?

i'm not defending skin bleaching but maybe there is a social pressure to do so. i ent hear anybody criticize these skrawny ugly hollywood stars like angelina jolie and megan fox for putting fat on their lips and silicone in their breasts.

That is a topic of potential censure ... strangely enough, considering we come from a cosmopolitan, multi-ethnic society where the Ganges meets the Nile and the Nile meets the Yangtze and the Yangtze meets the Thames and the Thames meets the Euphrates.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 12:53:23 PM »
Alot of people in ghetto have low self esteem, so shut you rass. I did not say all. Some even scared to say where they from. They think they are closed off from the rest of the country so they do whatever it takes to get attention. On the rester hand you have some who become very successful

Would you accept that "a lot" of uptown people have self esteem issues too ... albeit perhaps insulated by their pockets?

Anyway, that is not the point. I don't think "self-esteem" is the word that accurately describes this phenomenon. Aside from questioning your statistical nous, I also doubt you have the world of credibility to contribute on the issue. Why? Look at the first words you responded with .... using the same branding and categorisation that keep citizens in certain communities at the margins.

:
the giographic and demographic of the video says it all. the average Jamaican knows that not every one bleach, less than 1% of Jamaicans bleach. how many high profile actors, musicians (other than kartel  :rotfl:), athletes actual have light skin in Jamaica?, usain bolt can buy bleaching cream if he wants, he has the money, but he's too proud to go that low. from the video you can see most of those people can't even put a proper sentence together, you already know where they from, where they have very low self esteem. you can't compare Jamaica with India or Dominica republic. in India only light skin is portrayed in the media, in DR people say they or not African, in Jamaica ghetto people bleach cause they have low self esteem. the average Jamaican is proud of their blackness, you visit Jamaica tomorrow you see more dark skin than anything else, but visit a ghetto you see allot of two color people.     

This may come as a surprise to you, but many of your fellow citizens ... more than 1% ... can put a sentence together ... they just don't do so in a way that is the official language of the country ... they do so in the unofficial idiom. Perhaps you should accept that this is reality, rather than a stamp of automatic ignorance. Better yet, maybe the Jamaican media should cease communicating in a foreign tongue with these strange citizens who speak inappropriately ... and maybe you shouldn't ever try to put a sentence together in that foreign tongue.

I said your argument was an eeediat argument because you made a statement that the evidence refutes. What's lacking is opportunity not a frigging psychologist or counselor.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:04:28 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 01:03:06 PM »

What does that mean?

bees boy bees plenty bees

When them African bees sting them, they does need to rub cake soap on they skin to cool it down but a side effect is that they skin does get lighter after the swelling goes down!  ;)

Don't blame them Gazza people oui as they are black & proud, just blame the African bees as Jamaica is the most africanized caribbean island culturally!!  ::)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:05:04 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 01:34:47 PM »
socapro, i now see that you is a idiot. you only went back to post this video because a vidio was posted that trinidad is the murder capital. :rotfl:. i am not a bleacher, so why should i be ashame. if you want to say i should be ashame because i am black, then we all should be ashame, because we all are black. when i say jamaica is the most africanized caribbean island i am not only talking about skin color. i can understan you saying haiti, but i dont get the tobago part. not saying they are not africanized, but not even close to jamaica. jamaica has a large indiginus african culture that is not mainstream, from present day maroons to kumina to revival churches.... etc. i am currently busy, so later i will show more in dept what i am talking and show me what tobago have to offer. y :rotfl:ou really is a fool 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:04:17 PM by jahkingdom »
Hard work is the key to success

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2011, 02:02:32 PM »
Use paragraphs.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2011, 02:33:52 PM »
Confession: Some ah meh family members (de indian and high color creoles) bought an ambi combo pack as a christmas present fuh meh one year... :'(
so.........yuh did use it ;D........and if yuh did, yuh was "lookin" for "results" or jus curious?

but seriously it does be okay on already lightish skinned people who lookin for pale or pasty, dark people does jus end up lookin uneven or like dey escape from dey own 'fineral'

Yeah ah use it by force...

I use to have to stay with meh familee when meh fadder off shore and meh mum wukking overseas. Meh familee use to over do it, imagine dey making meh wear hoodies in de friggin crop season. One year meh mum send me ah nice purple rayon/cotton blended shirt. I wear it to go to church and by the time ah come back home, de sweat and ambi mix, bleach around the collar of the shirt. First time ah ever get sun burn was when ah use that thing, meh forred look like it bruise from asphalt. All in de name of getting a nice tone... face bunnin when yuh taking ah sweat... steups black is beautiful yes...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:38:52 PM by Daft Trini »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »
Use paragraphs.

The only paragraphs them Gazza men know is when they trying to graft their skin to make it look lighter!! 

Then they want to come on here to make the contradictory argument that Jamaica is the most African country in the Caribbean!!  ::)
Maybe if Jamaica was the only island in the Caribbean like many of them Gazza people believe then that would be true!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:31:20 PM by Socapro »

giggsy11

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
Wow! Very sad-using cake soap to remove the 'stain' that is the colour of dey skin.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2011, 01:40:30 PM »
Don't know much about cake soap but from the vid it looks like "blue soap" as we say in Trini, esp. how they speaking about using cake soap to wash white clothes.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2011, 02:26:54 PM »
iallyuh want to criticize. yes skin bleaching is foolish, but dark skin is still a symbol of low status. how much of ya'll men here that criticizing married to a black woman, especially those living abroad?

OOOHHH GUUUUUUD!!! :rotfl:....Zando wha kinda low blow yuh httin man dey breds?

ah sure you does keep piece ah kryptonite tuck under yuh pillow :devil:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2011, 02:27:39 PM »
Don't know much about cake soap but from the vid it looks like "blue soap" as we say in Trini, esp. how they speaking about using cake soap to wash white clothes.

Yuh does use blue soap to wash old jeans and bathe dog with mange (sp)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2011, 03:41:21 PM »
Confession: Some ah meh family members (de indian and high color creoles) bought an ambi combo pack as a christmas present fuh meh one year... :'(
so.........yuh did use it ;D........and if yuh did, yuh was "lookin" for "results" or jus curious?

but seriously it does be okay on already lightish skinned people who lookin for pale or pasty, dark people does jus end up lookin uneven or like dey escape from dey own 'fineral'

Yeah ah use it by force...

I use to have to stay with meh familee when meh fadder off shore and meh mum wukking overseas. Meh familee use to over do it, imagine dey making meh wear hoodies in de friggin crop season. One year meh mum send me ah nice purple rayon/cotton blended shirt. I wear it to go to church and by the time ah come back home, de sweat and ambi mix, bleach around the collar of the shirt. First time ah ever get sun burn was when ah use that thing, meh forred look like it bruise from asphalt. All in de name of getting a nice tone... face bunnin when yuh taking ah sweat... steups black is beautiful yes...

wow dat was probly torture............is u say black is beautifu............ yuh born how yuh born ...live wit it
I pity the fool....

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2011, 04:25:52 PM »
iallyuh want to criticize. yes skin bleaching is foolish, but dark skin is still a symbol of low status. how much of ya'll men here that criticizing married to a black woman, especially those living abroad?

OOOHHH GUUUUUUD!!! :rotfl:....Zando wha kinda low blow yuh httin man dey breds?

ah sure you does keep piece ah kryptonite tuck under yuh pillow :devil:

its not a low blow, just saying black women are very much aware that whiteness is the standard by which their beauty is judged. people here laugh at the kryptonite reference, so why not laugh at cake soap? i don't think these women want to change their ethnicity (i.e. BEING white vis-a-vis colonialism etc) just the shade of their skin. after all the content of your character supposed to define you, not skin colour right? IMO the same idea applies to hair straightening, weaves and all that mess.

i could care less who love who, or who lust who...as long as you are honest with yourself and the other person.

only thing i can't understand is why MAN bleaching. actually i can....you have to think a man bleaching his skin is apt to be more 'flamboyant'. perhaps thats the only outlet such people have in a society like JA
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2011, 05:22:06 PM »
How is it that every time there's ah convo of this nature those jkan forumites are never able to add positively to the discourse? every time there ah discussion they always feel the need tuh push the "magnificence" of jamaica on others like if we can't do without them, it's ah real  limited point of view, and ah lack of exposure if you ask me. it's almost like there's no world outside of jamaica.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In India, Fair Is Handsome & Dark Is Doomed
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2011, 09:22:15 AM »
By Dodai Stewart (jezebel.com)

Loathing your dark skin isn't just for women. A new product in India, Fair and Handsome, is just one of the many skin-lightening creams that are, according to the Washington Post, "exploding in popularity." In fact, though these products are nothing new for the ladies, the mens' market has grown 150%. India has a long history of colonialism and caste-systems, and darker skin is often openly reviled. Nikki Duggal, a New Delhi-based graphic artist says, "It's something we have internalized, and it's propagated by everyone since we still have this colonial hang-up that white is better, white is wealth, white is someone rich enough to never toil in the sun. It's so prevalent in India that fair equates to more success in life. There is a very sad message that if you are dark, you are doomed." Oh, and by the by: The lightening creams which will save you from certain doom? They cost about $1. Which is half a day's wages for many Indians.

The vile attitude toward dark skin is reflected in the way the cosmetic companies market these products. The TV commercials for Fair And Handsome feature men who are sad outcasts and can't get women because they're too dark. Just a little cream and the ladies swoon over their new, light complexion!

Ages and ages ago, there was a time when darkness, as a concept, was not evil. Darkness was the night, the soil, the strongest trees, the womb. Mysterious but nourishing, alive, full of power. White was for death and sickness. Thousands of years later, civilization, slavery, societal hierarchies, xenophobia, fear of disease and ignorance have flipped the script, so to speak. All too often, around the world — including in this country — black is bad. (Please refresh your memory with this video by Kiri Davis, in which young children point to identical black and white dolls and proclaim the white doll "good" and the black doll "bad." It's a 2006 recreation of a 1950s test, with similar results.) I wish I didn't have to keep typing these same words over and over again, but here goes: This is the same reason we counted the number of black models on the fashion week runways and look for black models in fashion magazines. If the world around you reminds you every day that your skin tone is neither fashionable nor desirable, how can you be expected to think otherwise?

In India, Fairness Is A Growth Industry [Washington Post]
Related: Fair And Handsome commercial [AOL Video]
Fair And Handsome commercial [You Tube]
Fair And Lovely commercial (Moral: No matter how good an actress you are, you can't be a star unless your skin is pale!) [Daily Motion]
A Girl Like Me [Google Video]
Earlier: Can One Woman Make A Difference? Maybe, If She Works For A Global Beauty Company
Indian Women Whiten Their Skin, Fight The Patriarchy
Study:Men Are More Attracted To Women With Lighter Skin
Skin Deep
Modeling Matriarch Continues To Demand Diversity On The Runways
Is Prada To Blame For the Lack Of Black Models?

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2011, 09:39:46 AM »
By Dodai Stewart (jezebel.com)

Loathing your dark skin isn't just for women. A new product in India, Fair and Handsome, is just one of the many skin-lightening creams that are, according to the Washington Post, "exploding in popularity." In fact, though these products are nothing new for the ladies, the mens' market has grown 150%. India has a long history of colonialism and caste-systems, and darker skin is often openly reviled. Nikki Duggal, a New Delhi-based graphic artist says, "It's something we have internalized, and it's propagated by everyone since we still have this colonial hang-up that white is better, white is wealth, white is someone rich enough to never toil in the sun. It's so prevalent in India that fair equates to more success in life. There is a very sad message that if you are dark, you are doomed." Oh, and by the by: The lightening creams which will save you from certain doom? They cost about $1. Which is half a day's wages for many Indians.

The vile attitude toward dark skin is reflected in the way the cosmetic companies market these products. The TV commercials for Fair And Handsome feature men who are sad outcasts and can't get women because they're too dark. Just a little cream and the ladies swoon over their new, light complexion!

Ages and ages ago, there was a time when darkness, as a concept, was not evil. Darkness was the night, the soil, the strongest trees, the womb. Mysterious but nourishing, alive, full of power. White was for death and sickness. Thousands of years later, civilization, slavery, societal hierarchies, xenophobia, fear of disease and ignorance have flipped the script, so to speak. All too often, around the world — including in this country — black is bad. (Please refresh your memory with this video by Kiri Davis, in which young children point to identical black and white dolls and proclaim the white doll "good" and the black doll "bad." It's a 2006 recreation of a 1950s test, with similar results.) I wish I didn't have to keep typing these same words over and over again, but here goes: This is the same reason we counted the number of black models on the fashion week runways and look for black models in fashion magazines. If the world around you reminds you every day that your skin tone is neither fashionable nor desirable, how can you be expected to think otherwise?

In India, Fairness Is A Growth Industry [Washington Post]
Related: Fair And Handsome commercial [AOL Video]
Fair And Handsome commercial [You Tube]
Fair And Lovely commercial (Moral: No matter how good an actress you are, you can't be a star unless your skin is pale!) [Daily Motion]
A Girl Like Me [Google Video]
Earlier: Can One Woman Make A Difference? Maybe, If She Works For A Global Beauty Company
Indian Women Whiten Their Skin, Fight The Patriarchy
Study:Men Are More Attracted To Women With Lighter Skin
Skin Deep
Modeling Matriarch Continues To Demand Diversity On The Runways
Is Prada To Blame For the Lack Of Black Models?

Additionally would like to point out that this stereotype is changing and will eventually change.  While the fair skinned is still pretty much viewed as handsome and beautiful in India by the media, many Indians including bollywood celebrities are standing up against it since most of the population is medium to dark skinned.  I commend the Indians who stand up against it.  Elle magazine has been accused of lightening both Indian and Black women on their cover.  It's actually in the media's hand to define what is desireable.  They need to put a stop...if you look good, you look good despite your complexion. 
If you ugly tho, tough cookies. be happy if your bed warm.
whey boy!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2011, 09:03:01 AM »
Alot of people in ghetto have low self esteem, so shut you rass. I did not say all. Some even scared to say where they from. They think they are closed off from the rest of the country so they do whatever it takes to get attention. On the rester hand you have some who become very successful

Would you accept that "a lot" of uptown people have self esteem issues too ... albeit perhaps insulated by their pockets?

Anyway, that is not the point. I don't think "self-esteem" is the word that accurately describes this phenomenon. Aside from questioning your statistical nous, I also doubt you have the world of credibility to contribute on the issue. Why? Look at the first words you responded with .... using the same branding and categorisation that keep citizens in certain communities at the margins.

:
the giographic and demographic of the video says it all. the average Jamaican knows that not every one bleach, less than 1% of Jamaicans bleach. how many high profile actors, musicians (other than kartel  :rotfl:), athletes actual have light skin in Jamaica?, usain bolt can buy bleaching cream if he wants, he has the money, but he's too proud to go that low. from the video you can see most of those people can't even put a proper sentence together, you already know where they from, where they have very low self esteem. you can't compare Jamaica with India or Dominica republic. in India only light skin is portrayed in the media, in DR people say they or not African, in Jamaica ghetto people bleach cause they have low self esteem. the average Jamaican is proud of their blackness, you visit Jamaica tomorrow you see more dark skin than anything else, but visit a ghetto you see allot of two color people.     

This may come as a surprise to you, but many of your fellow citizens ... more than 1% ... can put a sentence together ... they just don't do so in a way that is the official language of the country ... they do so in the unofficial idiom. Perhaps you should accept that this is reality, rather than a stamp of automatic ignorance. Better yet, maybe the Jamaican media should cease communicating in a foreign tongue with these strange citizens who speak inappropriately ... and maybe you shouldn't ever try to put a sentence together in that foreign tongue.

I said your argument was an eeediat argument because you made a statement that the evidence refutes. What's lacking is opportunity not a frigging psychologist or counselor.

Underling this point is a report, currently running on the BBC, that documents the discriminatory effects of Jamaica's delusion that it is a monolingual society. At Mona the Jamaican Language Unit is working on initiatives to address the gap between policy and reality. Merely returning to this because I remembered this thread as I listened to the report.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why Do Jams hate themselves so? Something wrong with that place.
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2013, 10:47:29 PM »
Hmm.  Hurt may heart.

Bible say love your neighbor as yourself...  So if you don't love yourself..trouble for your neighbor. 

http://televisionjamaica.com/Programmes/AllAngles.aspx/Videos/27218
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do Jams hate themselves so? Something wrong with that place.
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2013, 01:55:46 PM »
i feel is some complicated social factors at play here...plus the ppl they interview ent sound too smart

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2013, 02:52:03 PM »
Fari I could imagine some class or race classification story, regarding some political abuses but I can't imagine a situation that would make a society hate themselves to point that being physically white is the answer.  Not sure if there's anything that would make me understanding of such a thing.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2013, 10:03:25 PM »
some people vex with god they born black.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »
And these are the ppl that our yutes want tuh follow and emulate, lord God help trinidad!

these ppl beyond self hate, that's why they does kill out one another without remorse. but to be fair to jamaicans, most of these bleachers are uneducated backward ppl from the ghetto.

i remember a time when jamaicans spare headed the afrocentrist movement in the caribbean, but today they are more backward than all other islanders.

marcus garvey, bob marley and peter tosh must be turning over on their graves.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:22:25 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2013, 11:18:48 PM »
Every body have there insecurities   ,little thoughts they act on them ,am sure they did not think they where destroying there culture is just a style for them .

1]; } ?>