March 28, 2024, 07:04:36 AM

Author Topic: TTFA unveil Hart... But Beenhakker's a no-show and assistants still in limbo  (Read 7073 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hart's here: But Beenhakker's a no-show and assistant still in limbo
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Former Canada national football team coach Stephen Hart was officially unveiled today as the new Trinidad and Tobago head coach at a media conference at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain and later held his first session with the “Soca Warriors” at the same venue.

Hart, a 53-year-old Trinidad and Tobago native, has agreed a two-year deal with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) although, according to local football president Raymond Tim Kee, he has not yet received his official contract.

Former 2006 World Cup coach Leo Beenhakker has also accepted a six-month deal with the TTFA to work as director of football. Beenhakker was not present at today’s media conference and will not come to Trinidad before the Gold Cup.

The remainder of Hart’s technical staff, which includes assistants Hutson “Barber” Charles and Derek King and goalkeeping coach Jefferson George, were not afforded the same security. Tim Kee admitted that Charles and King were not offered any deal and, at least for now, will continue to work on a verbal month-to-month deal.

None of the senior team technical staff members have been paid this year. Tim Kee and general secretary Sheldon Phillips both said they are working on that issue with the Ministry of Sport.

The national football team will have two budgets going forward. One budget will comprise of the salaries of the incumbent coaches and players and will be sent to the Ministry of Sport. The other will include only the salaries of Hart and Beenhakker and will allegedly be picked up by three unnamed sponsors—two local and one international organisation.

Has the TTFA just implemented a two-tier coaching set-up with Beenhakker and Hart in first-class and the rest in economy? Does the TTFA not foresee problems if two coaches are paid at month end and the rest go home empty handed?

Tim Kee insisted that the TTFA would do its best to address the current arrears to the staff while hoping that future corporate deals offer a buffer for instances when the Government is late in paying. He insisted suggestions that he was disrespectful to the local staff were wide of the mark.

“To say I am finding money to pay other coaches and the (local) staff is just not true,” said Tim Kee.

He said there were no bad feelings between himself and former co-head coach Jamaal Shabazz although the latter turned down the chance to stay on as Hart’s assistant. Shabazz, said Tim Kee, was given an option to take over one of the national youth teams.

“Shabazz’s position is one I might have taken myself,” he said. “… I have absolutely no negatives to say about Shabazz.”

At present, Trinidad and Tobago is ranked 81st in the world by FIFA; Canada, who replaced Hart last October, is two places lower at 83rd.

So why did the TTFA feel so certain that Hart could improve on the foundation laid by Charles, Shabazz and King with just two weeks to go before the CONCACAF Gold Cup?

Tim Kee replied that Hart had the experience at CONCACAF level, which Charles, Shabazz and King did not.

Wired868 pointed out that Beenhakker had no experience of CONCACAF international competition when he came to Trinidad in 2005. Conversely, Shabazz led Guyana to a 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw away to El Salvador, a year ago, and Charles and King both have CONCACAF experience as players.

Besides, how does one get experience if one is not given the opportunity?

Tim Kee retorted that he did not say the present staff had no experience but that Hart might be the missing puzzle piece. He pointed to the poor recent returns of the Warriors and claimed that Beenhakker described them as “eleven enthusiastic players but (…) not a team” after watching T&T fall 4-0 to Romania.

According to the TTFA president, after researching the ex-Canada boss, the ex-Real Madrid and Netherlands international coach, declared that Hart “knows his football.”

Hart’s last game in charge of Canada was a 8-1 loss away to Honduras. Would Beenhakker have given him rave reviews if he judged him based on that game?

Was it then fair to judge Charles, Shabazz and King on the Romania match, particularly when they were introducing new players to the squad?

Tim Kee stood his ground and suggested that, in Hart’s case, the trend leading up to the 8-1 loss was important to place the lopsided result into context. He said his decision might be proven wrong but insisted that a decision had to be made.

The TTFA president also tried to explain the recruitment of Beenhakker.

He said that Beenhakker found out about Trinidad and Tobago’s friendly against Romania on the FIFA website and asked to come to the match.

“I expect Beenhakker, being the man he is, to be tuned in to the FIFA website,” said Tim Kee. “He said he would be happy to come if we invited him… I thought that was reasonable.”

Tim Kee further claimed that Beenhakker paid his own way and said the TTFA only approached the Dutchman about the coaching post a week after the Romania match, which was staged on 4 June 2013.

But Tim Kee’s version directly contradicted accounts from Wired868, TTFA vice-president and technical committee chairman Rudi Thomas and his own press officer, Shaun Fuentes.

Wired868 exclusively revealed that talks had begun with Beenhakker and the TTFA long before kick-off on June 4.

“Wired868 understands that Tim Kee, through general secretary Sheldon Phillips, has approached Beenhakker for help in a technical capacity rather than as head coach,” stated the article, on this website. “However a return to run the bench, at least in the short term, has not been ruled out by either party.”

In a separate article, Thomas told Wired868 that he was informed on June 4 about talks between the TTFA and Beenhakker.

“I only knew that discussions were initiated with Mr Beenhakker while the general secretary was in Romania,” said Thomas.

And, on June 6, a TTFA release confirmed that discussions were being held with the Dutchman.

“The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association can in fact confirm that discussions have been held with the former Netherlands and Real Madrid manager,” stated the release, “about his interest in having a role with the FA again. Beenhakker met on Tuesday with TTFF president Raymond Tim Kee and general secretary Sheldon Phillips before returning to his homeland the following day.”

What is the difference between Beenhakker’s new role as “director of football” and Anton Corneal’s post as “technical director?”

Tim Kee said Beenhakker will “draw up a syllabus” to help develop Trinidad and Tobago’s football programmes and local coaches. When asked to compare the Dutchman’s duties with those of Corneal, he said that: “One teaches regulations and the other teaches how to apply regulations.”

Hart, who thanked the TTFA for bringing him back home, said that he can “draw upon (Beenhakker) or off him anytime.” Phillips offered a third description of Beenhakker’s role.

“His function (at the Gold Cup) is to observe, assess and provide recommendation,” said the TTFA General Secretary. “… After the Gold Cup, (Beenhakker) will look at the wider national programmes.”

Phillips suggested that Corneal’s role will primarily be to look after the youth teams while Beenhakker will be involved with the adult set-up.

Tim Kee said he was informed that the players are pleased with the new faces. He added the caveat that this did not mean they were previously unhappy with the old faces.

The TTFA President further proclaimed that the recent resolution of the 2006 World Cup bonus dispute is evidence of his warm approach to the national footballers.

“I have always had a passion for supporting players,” said Tim Kee.

So did the players have bonus arrangements in place for the Gold Cup tournament, which is just two weeks away?

Tim Kee and Phillips admitted that the matter of bonuses has not been sorted out yet.

The only persons within the international set-up who seemed to have any assurances about their immediate and long-term futures are Hart and Beenhakker.

One reporter asked if the TTFA had informed Hart about the minimum expected of him at the Gold Cup.

Tim Kee replied that he hoped to see the Warriors get into the second round.

Did that mean anything less than qualification for the second round would be seen as failure?

“If we see that we lost but we were playing good (football)…” said Tim Kee.

So, Wired868 asked, has the bar been lowered and are three valiant losses all it now takes to satisfy the TTFA?

Tim Kee laughed, along with the press gathering. But he did not answer.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:43:07 AM by Flex »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The other will include only the salaries of Hart and Beenhakker and would allegedly be picked up by three unnamed sponsors—two local and one international organisation.
nah man, nah man, doh do we dat... who is dese sponsors?  :cursing:

Transparency please

EDIT: I hoping is because the deals have not been closed and inked yet
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:36:44 PM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The other will include only the salaries of Hart and Beenhakker and would allegedly be picked up by three unnamed sponsors—two local and one international organisation.

Transparency please

Live in hope but if it eh close u tink Hart come here wit a promise of payment bending some benefactor?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hart promises hard work but no miracles as T&T coach
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

New Trinidad and Tobago football coach Stephen Hart declared today that he is happy to be home and hopes to seize the opportunity at the helm of the “Soca Warriors.”

However, he warned local football fans that he is not a miracle worker.

“I am not a miracle worker,” said Hart, at today’s press conference at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. “Sometimes people are lucky to get one. But most people just work hard and do the best they can.”

The 53-year-old former Canada coach played for Texaco and San Fernando before migrating to Canada in the early 1980s and also made a few international appearances without particularly distinguishing himself. He hopes to set that right now as national coach.

“I thank the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) for bringing me back home,” said Hart, who agreed a two-year deal with the TTFA. “It is every boy’s dream to have the opportunity to represent his country… I had the opportunity as a player but I did not seize the opportunity.

“Hopefully now I can seize the opportunity (as coach).”

Hart said he rarely misses a Trinidad and Tobago football match and he watched the team play in its 1-0 loss to Estonia. He declined the opportunity to reveal his thoughts on that match. But he said he is already aware of the local players and is looking forward to the challenge, despite the short time frame.

He explained that his immediate goal was to assess the physical readiness of the squad and to build relationships on the field and get the players in the right relaxed state of mind for international competition.

Hart revealed that he has already spoken to former co-head coach and now assistant coach Hutson “Barber” Charles about what he wanted to implement in the squad. He discussed the job with new director of football Leo Beenhakker as well.

“I can draw upon (Beenhakker) or off him anytime,” said Hart.

Charles is still owed over $200,000 for his services as national coach while the remainder of the technical staff, including outgoing co-head coach Jamaal Shabazz, also remain unpaid. Tim Kee said that he expects that the Ministry of Sport would pay off the arrears this week.

Hart took Canada to the Gold Cup knock out stages in two of his three attempts as head coach and was a defeated semi-finalist in 2007. However, he declared that he would be focusing on “process rather than the prize” and “performance rather than result” in next month’s tournament.

TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee revealed that Hart was not given an ultimatum to take the Warriors into the second round and the local football body was interested primarily in seeing improved performances.

Hart is expected to select the final 23-man squad by Thursday June 26 and he held his first session with the Warriors this evening.

He will not have the benefit of seeing Khaleem Hyland, Sheldon Bateau, John Bostock, Robert Primus, Seon Power, Carlyle Mitchell, Hughtun Hector, Shahdon Winchester, Ataullah Guerra, Radanfah Abu Bakr and Willis Plaza train before his choice as they are all abroad on club business.

Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones, Ipswich Town winger Carlos Edwards and Port Vale midfielder Chris Birchall were among the players in today’s training session along with DIRECTV W Connection midfielder Clyde Leon, Central FC winger Jason Marcano and North East Stars goalkeeper Cleon John.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:44:00 AM by Flex »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hmm! No miracles..that sounding like de situation rel dire..tings bad..Beenhakker eh comin..hmm! rel problems..rel young guns missin from de side...one set a ole man trainin..rel problems..it sounding rel sad..coaches sayin dey eh paid yet..coach eh hah no contract and he done start wukkin..
REL PROBLEMS..
Gol Cup next week.....hmm!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Transparency please

Why they have to say who the sponsors are?  Suppose that was a condition of the sponsorship?

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Transparency please

Why they have to say who the sponsors are?  Suppose that was a condition of the sponsorship?
My sentiments exactly. As long as they getting paid and is not via illegal means who cares?? When men wasn't getting paid nobody was asking who paying them now everybody want a commission of inquiry into all things TTFA.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A condition of the sponsorship?

All three sponsors? A local organization that don't want recognition? ok
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Transparency please

My sentiments exactly. As long as they getting paid and is not via illegal means who cares?? When men wasn't getting paid nobody was asking who paying them now everybody want a commission of inquiry into all things TTFA.

you think their previous dealings might have something to do with it ? Naaaaaah ! Just take de money from where ever it comes ... so we go have to watch de news more carefully now in de event dat a drug or diesel bust could affec we football !

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
just like de main issue being Gordon having an inappropriate meeting with Rowley rather than the subject matter of dangerous allegations via e mail , we are now discussing de coach right ?. Of course the fact that we are beginning a new season just like all  others is now cause for hope right ?

Just throw them a ball and they will follow it ...no matter where it goes ...just like our new found brand of football ...forget about taking control of the ball or establishing any kind of operational structure ...just play ball !

...so when I read things like ..de coach alresdy wukking and no contract yet in place I ask myself ..did I just wake up ? or is this the same nightmare I thought I awoke from  only recently ?

Well the football cemetery of broken dreams can add some more to the list of those who have died before the promises could be revealed .... the more we change ..rearrange ..everything remains the same ...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A condition of the sponsorship?

All three sponsors? A local organization that don't want recognition? ok

Agreed it's unlikely that such is the case, but we don't know.  Additionally, as I said elsewhere on the same topic... the TTFA is a private organization, they don't have to disclose anything about their finances, unless it's public funds jumping up.  "Transparency" isn't implicated unless there's a suggestion of impropriety... anybody tiefin' money?  Nothing preventing the local sponsors from revealing themselves... *shrug*

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Could be that the sponsors want to hold their own press conference, or just possibly, like party financiers, they don't always want to shout out that they have contributed. Another possibility is that should they go public, they may be inundated by organisations (such as Central F.C.) begging for money!

Who cares? It's good news for football!

Nashy

T&T Football Association (TTFA) which was first incorporated by an Act of Parliament in 1982.

Is it a private organization?

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Thanks Wired868.  I've been asking for this kind of reporting and transparency from the TTFA for the footballing public to know what is going on. Kudos for the articles.

We all want the best for the team, the program, and for SH. I'm not certain that the timing is right for SH. But seeing that he accepted it, I have to trust that he know what he is getting in to.

All the best.

To borrow from BM . . Play D fitball
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Could be that the sponsors want to hold their own press conference, or just possibly, like party financiers, they don't always want to shout out that they have contributed. Another possibility is that should they go public, they may be inundated by organisations (such as Central F.C.) begging for money!

Who cares? It's good news for football!

Lol... true, and true.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
True trini must be cumming in his draws tuh see his "GOOD FREN" runnin the show.

boy, ah bet he kicking his self in the arse for deleting his profile. and the best part, he cyar cuss meh even if he wants to real bad, what ah schmuck!  :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:46:26 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
I wondering more about the Beenie no-show. It sounds like Beenie is a consultant, not a coach. He getting paid for his opinions rather than to work with the team.

Hart is the head coach and I don't think he has done any better than Shabazz did with Guyana.

Speaking of which, did Shabazz resign from his Guyana wuk for this nonsens?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I wondering more about the Beenie no-show. It sounds like Beenie is a consultant, not a coach. He getting paid for his opinions rather than to work with the team.

Hart is the head coach and I don't think he has done any better than Shabazz did with Guyana.
Speaking of which, did Shabazz resign from his Guyana wuk for this nonsens?
Check again

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
ent de new uniform sponsors and uniform be unveil to
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Spideybuff yuh seeing de light..everybody else still in darkness..when dey see mediocrity so.. is only then they  would realize dis Hart fella confusin jus like Shabazz..
They need to pay Shabazz though..
Now is how much big belly man on de sidelines?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
How many big belly coach allyuh seein in de top flight? In my opinion if a coach belly so big he has a discipline problem..how could he come at me with discipline?
The coach of the #1 team in world football, defending World Cup champions & defending European cup champions is Vincente Del Bosque.

He is a big belly man.

But you probably onto something. If dem other teams want to get to #1, they obviously should hire a big belly coach.  All de rest fighting up for seconds behind dey magga coaches when de answer to get to de top clearer than clearasil.

Even Brazil recognise de trend and hire a big belly man (he even name Big Phil) to coach de team.  As soon as he come on board, Brazil start to win behind dey big belly coach.

Spain are trendsetters and kudos to TTFF/TTFA for their visionary philosophy for jumping on that wagon early o'clock.

Good job coache. Yuh have some serious insight dey. Doh mind it in reverse.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:21:00 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Beenie reach yet?   If not, when?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Point taken ..then leh we go a lil further to ask how many big belly top flight coaches under 60 yrs of age? Answer me that?
If a coach is over 70 yrs of age he already put in the time..look back in Del Bosque, Ferguson, or any of them when they were young coaches and see how they carried themselves..Mourinho, Guardiola..you name the top young coach and check fuh yuhself..even big Phil ..

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
How many big belly coach allyuh seein in de top flight? In my opinion if a coach belly so big he has a discipline problem..how could he come at me with discipline?
The coach of the #1 team in world football, defending World Cup champions & defending European cup champions is Vincente Del Bosque.

He is a big belly man.

But you probably onto something. If dem other teams want to get to #1, they obviously should hire a big belly coach.  All de rest fighting up for seconds behind dey magga coaches when de answer to get to de top clearer than clearasil.

Even Brazil recognise de trend and hire a big belly man (he even name Big Phil) to coach de team.  As soon as he come on board, Brazil start to win behind dey big belly coach.

Spain are trendsetters and kudos to TTFF/TTFA for their visionary philosophy for jumping on that wagon early o'clock.

Good job coache. Yuh have some serious insight dey. Doh mind it in reverse.

:rotfl:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Point taken ..then leh we go a lil further to ask how many big belly top flight coaches under 60 yrs of age? Answer me that?
If a coach is over 70 yrs of age he already put in the time..look back in Del Bosque, Ferguson, or any of them when they were young coaches and see how they carried themselves..Mourinho, Guardiola..you name the top young coach and check fuh yuhself..even big Phil ..

Chile Coach - Marcelo Bielsa - aka Tactical genius

Argentina Coach - Diego Maradona - aka Straight up genius

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

Yuh mean to say Big Phil used to be Little Phil? :devil:

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I am saying for any young coach who hasn't done anything in football like Shabazz, Hart, King and the likes, could help themselves by showing the players that they lead disciplined lives ..coaching is something whereby leading by example plays into the player response. If the young coach looks like a slob..more than likely that young coach doesn't have a knack for small details..at least that would be perception by some of the players.
The physical appearance of the leader is important.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I remembered a big belly man (Ivan Rene Valenciano) scored a hattrick vs T&T when we played Colombia and won 4-3 in Miami.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:08:04 PM by Flex »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That alone should tell how far behind we are..

1]; } ?>