March 29, 2024, 04:22:50 AM

Author Topic: Ravi B’s Prescription under fire in Guyana  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Ravi B’s Prescription under fire in Guyana
« on: June 27, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »
What you folks think about this?
Are the Guyanese correct or are they picking on foreign artists because theirs aren't any good?  :devil:

Published: Thursday, June 27, 2013
Bobbie-Lee Dixon (T&T Guardian)

A Guyanese women’s group is sounding the alarm over the lyrics of songs by local chutney soca artiste Ravi “Ravi B” Bissambhar and Antiguan band Burning Flames.

Ravi B’s Prescription and Burning Flames’ Kick in She Back Door are beng described as illicit and seeking to promote gender-based violence.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8-w0C7_CN7M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8-w0C7_CN7M</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4QBY8XLpyOI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4QBY8XLpyOI</a>

The Women and Gender Equality Commission of Guyana (WGEC) is calling for an immediate ban on the two songs receiving heavy rotation on the airwaves.

According to guyanatimesgy.com, the commission’s head, Nicole Cole, told Guyanese media on Tuesday that the commission was totally against these songs being promoted and played in public places.

Cole, who is also a member of the Media Monitoring Committee of Guyana, said Prescription promotes substance abuse.

She was quoted as saying: “Really and truly, no doctor would give such a prescription—three bottles of rum a day!”

She said the song also promoted gender-based violence, which is linked to substance abuse and led to the murder or the deaths of many innocent women.

The lyrical content of the other song, which won the Antiguan Road March in 2012 but was subsequently banned there, is said to be inciting acts of violence and promoting rape and sodomy of women.

Cole said Burning Flames is scheduled to perform at the Jam Zone Regional Nite (a summer festival in Guyana) on August 16. She said unfortunately, women are gyrating to the lyrics without recognising the deeper meaning behind the song.

The commission remains adamant that both songs are distasteful and disrespectful and in violation of women’s rights.

Cole said: “Just imagine a man drinking three bottles of rum each day. What will happen on our roadways and to our women in society?”

Last October, American R&B star Chris Brown was criticised by the same body, after he was billed to perform in the capital, Georgetown.

Protesting women’s groups voiced their opinions on blogs, saying allowing Brown to perform in the country sent the wrong message, given his criminal record of domestic violence. Brown was convicted in 2009 of felony assault after beating his girlfriend, the Bajan singer Rihanna.

Entertainer apologises

In a short text message to the T&T Guardian yesterday, Bissambhar apologised to his Guyanese fans.

He said: “I am very sorry if anyone finds my song offensive. It was done purely as an item of entertainment and I have performed it several times in Guyana. I love all my Guyanese fans and again I am sorry if anyone feels offended.”

Also contacted yesterday, Tuco president Lutalo “Brother Resistance” Masimba said although you cannot tell an artiste what to write or sing, it was the personal responsibility of all artistes to be mindful of the messages conveyed in their songs.

“As an artiste you have a responsibility because you are dealing with words and you are putting music out there for people to move to. They also have to remember that this music can be heard by children,” said Masimba.

He said it was also the responsibility of radio stations and the media to ensure songs with improper or offensive lyrical content were censored.

The T&T Guardian also tried to reach Minister of Arts and Multiculturalism Dr Lincoln Douglas, for comment, but calls to his phone went unanswered.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:37:37 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: Ravi B’s Prescription under fire in Guyana
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 06:20:46 AM »
they forgot to mention these other artists. If they want bans on Ravi and Burning Flames, they should also extend it to a wider range too.

http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2013/6/Misogyny-makes-a-comeback-Kanye-Robin-Thicke-and-degrading-women

Misogyny Makes a Comeback

Let’s be clear: misogyny in music isn’t new. But 2013 has introduced a new kind of misogyny, a deliberate and task-oriented degradation and objectification of women that’s far more disturbing than the casual, inherent misogyny of generations past. In the last few months alone, men have released songs about raping women (Rick Ross' "U.O.E.N.O"), knowing women “want it” (Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines") and sticking dicks in our mouths to shut us up (Kanye West's "On Sight").

This isn’t satire, post-post irony or freedom of speech. This is war. 

Ross thought it was totally fine to rap about drugging and raping a woman: "Put molly all in her champagne/ She ain't even know it / I took her home and I enjoyed that/ She ain't even know it."

The outcry and backlash about the verse Ross contributed to Rocko’s “U.O.E.N.O” was deafening, and rightly so, but a few weeks later when Robin Thicke released the music video for “Blurred Lines,” all anyone seemed focused on was the full frontal nudity, the goat and its kickin’ beat. It’s a catchy song, but that video, which has been described as rape-y by a number of women recently (including me), is a disturbing wonderland of male privilege, with Thicke whispering in a naked woman’s ear, “I know you want it,” over and over and over again. The censored version is actually more disturbing, wherein the women aren’t naked but wrapped tightly in clear plastic wrap like the disposable dolls Thicke thinks they are.

The obvious difference between Ross and Thicke is that while “U.O.E.N.O” outright condones rape, “Blurred Lines” takes its winking, self-satisfied title and runs that euphemism into the ground. Ross apologized, albeit only after he lost a lucrative sponsorship deal, but Thicke took a different approach, telling GQ:

“We tried to do everything that was taboo. Bestiality, drug injections, and everything that is completely derogatory towards women. Because all three of us are happily married with children, we were like, ‘We're the perfect guys to make fun of this.’ People say, ‘Hey, do you think this is degrading to women?’ I'm like, ‘Of course it is. What a pleasure it is to degrade a woman. I've never gotten to do that before. I've always respected women.’”

All the problems in the world exist in these few lines. The idea that it’s a “pleasure” to degrade women after a lifetime of respecting them is ridiculous. That it’s somehow funny or something he’s allowed to do because he’s happily married with children is the thinking of someone completely deluded, who has lived his entire life in a bubble of entitlement.

Which brings us to Yeezus. At this point in time, there are few rappers more entitled than Kanye West. Even as his new record has been decried for its misogyny, it’s also been heralded by male and female critics alike as brilliant, moving and bold. Most of the fawning reviews focused on Yeezus’s potential sacrilege and scathing indictments of racism; few called out his abhorrent attitudes toward women.

“Took her to the 'Bleau, she tried to sip the fountain/ That when David Grutman kicked her out/ But I got her back in and put my dick in her mouth.”

That’s a lyric from Yeezus’s first track, “On Sight,” which seems to make direct reference to West’s girlfriend and mother of his newborn child, Kim Kardashian, and her close relationship with Grutman, who’s one of the head people at Miami’s Fontainebleau hotel. That would mean he wrote this lyric about the woman he supposedly loves. West was raised by a single mother, whom he adored. He was raised by a feminist, even if his mother never named it that or identified as that. She was a strong woman who raised an artist who is both genuinely inspired and totally, boringly, willfully sexist.

That’s the worst part of what’s become glaringly obvious the last few months: these are not old men caught up in old ways of thinking; these are younger men who were, more often than not, raised within feminism and to respect women, but who still feel it's their right to degrade and debase them. It’s as if a deeply subconscious panic has set in amongst certain male musicians — and some women, for that matter — that patriarchy is in its last gasps and the only way to stave off equality is to remind women they are merely a collection of body parts, flesh and orifices.

In doing it under the guise of music, there’s a built-in excuse that this is about creative expression. But, calling out misogyny doesn’t take away one’s right to creative expression; rather, critical thinking and discussion is the expected and necessary counterpart to that kind of freedom.

When I say this kind of deliberate, chosen misogyny means war, there’s not a clear-cut gender divide or a battle of the sexes to be waged. There are many men fed up with misogyny in music and have stated so publicly, including rapper Talib Kweli and singer-songwriter Ben Gibbard. There are some amazing and wonderful musicians, like Lupe Fiasco and Joel Plaskett, who are outspoken against sexism and who abhor violence against women.

But “Blurred Lines” sits atop the charts and Yeezus is one of the best-reviewed albums of the year. I sort of understand why. Sonically, they’re strong pieces of music and there are a lot of fans — male, female and otherwise — who genuinely hear nothing wrong with these lyrics, who think these words are funny or sexy or street. But there’s only so long I can keep on separating the music from the words, the song from the intention, appreciating the art and sacrificing my self-worth.   

Most women have to learn self-esteem; we’re not born with an ingrained entitlement about our place or space in the world. We fight for it all the time. Ross, Thicke and West are men who should know better, who admit to knowing better, but they choose to see women as less than. What a choice. 

Follow Andrea Warner on Twitter: @_AndreaWarner.
posted by Andrea Warner on Jun 24, 2013
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 11:02:43 AM »
Ravi B didnt say anything about women in his song .
Thgat Burning flames song tho ,I dont know man .If she no ,just kick in she back door .hmmm.Them men getting long in the tooth to give young ppl ideas ,it seems

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »
What you folks think about this?
Are the Guyanese correct or are they picking on foreign artists because theirs aren't any good?  :devil:

Published: Thursday, June 27, 2013
Bobbie-Lee Dixon (T&T Guardian)

A Guyanese women’s group is sounding the alarm over the lyrics of songs by local chutney soca artiste Ravi “Ravi B” Bissambhar and Antiguan band Burning Flames.

Ravi B’s Prescription and Burning Flames’ Kick in She Back Door are beng described as illicit and seeking to promote gender-based violence.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8-w0C7_CN7M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8-w0C7_CN7M</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4QBY8XLpyOI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4QBY8XLpyOI</a>

The Women and Gender Equality Commission of Guyana (WGEC) is calling for an immediate ban on the two songs receiving heavy rotation on the airwaves.

According to guyanatimesgy.com, the commission’s head, Nicole Cole, told Guyanese media on Tuesday that the commission was totally against these songs being promoted and played in public places.

Cole, who is also a member of the Media Monitoring Committee of Guyana, said Prescription promotes substance abuse.

She was quoted as saying: “Really and truly, no doctor would give such a prescription—three bottles of rum a day!”

She said the song also promoted gender-based violence, which is linked to substance abuse and led to the murder or the deaths of many innocent women.

The lyrical content of the other song, which won the Antiguan Road March in 2012 but was subsequently banned there, is said to be inciting acts of violence and promoting rape and sodomy of women.

Cole said Burning Flames is scheduled to perform at the Jam Zone Regional Nite (a summer festival in Guyana) on August 16. She said unfortunately, women are gyrating to the lyrics without recognising the deeper meaning behind the song.

The commission remains adamant that both songs are distasteful and disrespectful and in violation of women’s rights.

Cole said: “Just imagine a man drinking three bottles of rum each day. What will happen on our roadways and to our women in society?”

Last October, American R&B star Chris Brown was criticised by the same body, after he was billed to perform in the capital, Georgetown.

Protesting women’s groups voiced their opinions on blogs, saying allowing Brown to perform in the country sent the wrong message, given his criminal record of domestic violence. Brown was convicted in 2009 of felony assault after beating his girlfriend, the Bajan singer Rihanna.

Entertainer apologises

In a short text message to the T&T Guardian yesterday, Bissambhar apologised to his Guyanese fans.

He said: “I am very sorry if anyone finds my song offensive. It was done purely as an item of entertainment and I have performed it several times in Guyana. I love all my Guyanese fans and again I am sorry if anyone feels offended.”

Also contacted yesterday, Tuco president Lutalo “Brother Resistance” Masimba said although you cannot tell an artiste what to write or sing, it was the personal responsibility of all artistes to be mindful of the messages conveyed in their songs.

“As an artiste you have a responsibility because you are dealing with words and you are putting music out there for people to move to. They also have to remember that this music can be heard by children,” said Masimba.

He said it was also the responsibility of radio stations and the media to ensure songs with improper or offensive lyrical content were censored.

The T&T Guardian also tried to reach Minister of Arts and Multiculturalism Dr Lincoln Douglas, for comment, but calls to his phone went unanswered.

:bs: I hear the call for maintain respect for women and I agree fully.....But Ravi said nothing about women in his song.

Looks like somebody front door seize up and lock up tight  :devil:
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

1]; } ?>