March 28, 2024, 02:41:39 AM

Author Topic: Hart aiming for Gold Cup quarters.  (Read 758 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Hart aiming for Gold Cup quarters.
« on: June 29, 2013, 01:53:33 AM »
Hart aiming for Gold Cup quarters.
By Kevin Sunich (Newsday).

NEWLY appointed head coach of the Soca Warriors Stephen Hart said his team’s main goal at the moment is to reach the knock-out stage of the 2013 Concacaf Gold Cup to be played in America from July 7-28.

The head coach was speaking to the media after the team’s final session yesterday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. “It is not going to be easy, but we have to play the level of football that will get us to the quarter-finals. This is our first objective since in the knock-out stage everyone has a chance of moving forward,” said Hart.

The former Canadian coach who took over from co-head coaches Jamaal Shabazz and Hudson Charles, named his 23-man squad for the tournament. Hart said he has only had three sessions with the players and he chose the players he thought would do the job for the country.

“Those are the rules, I had only three days to pick the squad and I chose the players I thought were sharp during the sessions. I know the fans don’t want to hear that I didn’t have enough time to prepare this team, they just want results.

I have spoken to the players and they know how important this tournament is for us,” said the head coach. The coach said the mode in the camp is an excellent one and it shows that all the players are on board with what they are doing.

“At the moment I am just trying to build cohesiveness among the players. Once we can play together as a unit that will aid in us getting the job done. The players are eager and ready and we are looking forward to our camp in Miami before we start the tournament,” said the former Canadian coach.

Defence Force forward Devon Jorsling who scored over 20 goals in the Digicel Pro League this season was left out of the squad at the expense of Caledonia AIA forward Jamal Gay. However, the coach felt it was the right decision.

“Jorsling may have scored more goals than Gay yes, but that was then and it was against different oppositions. In my three sessions with the team Gay has been the sharper of the two and he seems to want it more. He is a good young player and I feel the Gold Cup will be good for him,” said Hart.

The TT team which will be making its first appearance at the Gold Cup since 2007, will wing out for Miami on Sunday. The Warriors will take on El Salvador in their opening match on July 8 and four days later they will face Haiti. Their final group match will be against Honduras on July 15.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Jan-Michael Williams, Marvin Phillip, Cleon John.

Defenders: Radanfah Abu Bakr, Daneil Cyrus, Seon Power, Curtis Gonzales, Carlyle Mitchell, Justin Hoyte, Aubrey David, Carlos Edwards.

Midfielders: Christopher Birchall, Kevin Molino, Khaleem Hyland, Andre Boucaud, Keon Daniel, Densill Theobald, Darryl Roberts, Joevin Jones, Kevon Carter.

Forwards: Jamal Gay, Kenwyne Jones, Cornell Glen.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 01:59:32 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
Re: Hart aiming for Gold Cup quarters.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 06:18:23 AM »
Gay over jorsling...Amen. I could see all 3 strikers sweating. I'd love to see how gay and glen team up.......LETS GOOOO TNT!!!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 06:20:40 AM »
Gay and Glen combination sounding good but that will not happen.

1. They not benching Jones.
2. Glen is never fit. He is a good super sub.

What about Gay and Molino or Gay and Carter.

Gay need to take more shot on goal and forget running down de game.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 07:42:22 AM »
Glenn is always best coming off the bench. In that situation he's a beast.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>